Hard or soft side spinners?

2,663 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Philo B 93
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some new luggage. Do you guys prefer hard side or soft side spinners for business and vacation travel?
Vernada
AG
soft. ballistic nylon is pretty durable.
histag10
AG
ours are soft. We REALLY like Samsonite, for what its worth.
reddog90
AG
Thanks for the replies. Why do you guys prefer soft over hard?
histag10
AG
reddog90 said:

I have found that the hard ones break easily. They are also pretty easy to get scratched up and looking ratty.

Also, my softside ones have more give for odd shaped things being packed/ability to stretch if REALLY full.

I also really like having the outer pockets on the soft side, particularly for a carryon spinner. Easy access to some things I might need midflight without having to pull my entire suitcase down out of the overhead bin.
Vernada
AG
reddog90 said:

Need some new luggage. Do you guys prefer hard side or soft side spinners for business and vacation travel?
If you search you can find a thread from a few months back where we talked about this. I'll see if I can find it too.
Vernada
AG
Here it is

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2836440
HeightsAg
Don't get spinners. Since the wheels protrude, they are a lot less durable if checked and for carry ons, allowable dimensions include the wheels so you are basically losing two inches of space. There's a reason why the Hartman, Tumi and Victorinox's of the world have been late adopters. And as far as hard vs. soft, I prefer ballistic nylon. It is a good combination of weight and durability.
Always_Right
AG
I fly 150+ times a year and I've always used hard side, protects my valuables a lot better. I usually get about a year out of my luggage.
HeightsAg
That doesn't seem very good. Just curious, how much is the luggage that you buy? For reference, I am United 1K and have used the same Victorinox's ballistic nylon rollerboard for over 10 years with close to a million miles (75/25 carry on vs. checked). But I don't have any valuables to protect so I can't comment on that.
Always_Right
AG
Cheap.
MemorialTXAg
histag10 said:

reddog90 said:

I have found that the hard ones break easily. They are also pretty easy to get scratched up and looking ratty.

Also, my softside ones have more give for odd shaped things being packed/ability to stretch if REALLY full.

I also really like having the outer pockets on the soft side, particularly for a carryon spinner. Easy access to some things I might need midflight without having to pull my entire suitcase down out of the overhead bin.

You sound like someone who travels once a year and doesn't know how to pack.

Either way, hard side is far superior for frequent travelers.
Ag CPA
AG
My wife and I both travel 100k a year and have used the same Tumi ballistic carry-ons over ten years. Unless you travel with fragile equipment I have never understood why you would need hardside luggage.

And I would reconsider the spinners, we got one to try out recently and it will be our last. Difficult to fit in the overheads and you loose a significant amount of space in the bag.
histag10
AG
#YESSIR! said:

histag10 said:

reddog90 said:

You sound like someone who travels once a year and doesn't know how to pack.

Either way, hard side is far superior for frequent travelers.

You are incorrect (and a bit of a dick). I travel with a toddler. Inherently, they require a metric **** ton of stuff when travelling, and they also have odd shaped items.

I'm sorry you felt the need to come over here and berate me over my choice and preference of suitcase. I was merely answering the OPs question.
Always_Right
AG
Its just personal preference, there are pros and cons to both hard and soft sided suitcases.
histag10
AG
Great_I_Am said:

Its just personal preference, there are pros and cons to both hard and soft sided suitcases.

Agree, but for someone to come in and say I must not travel and must be a horrible packer because of my preference and reasons is a bit immature for this discussion.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Fun thread. I'm sure I've traveled more than 99.9% of you. I made my first flight to the United States mainland at 4 months old. Heck, I had status on PanAm.35 years ago.

Anyway, when I used to do 80 flights/year in the US, I used a cheap carry-on after I got tired of United losing my checked luggage. I bought a cheap carry-on bag for $50 at the outlet mall in Castle Rock, CO. It lasted a good 5 years.

Nowadays that I pretty much only do long-haul International flights (14+ hours), I check my luggage and take full advantage of the fact that I can check 3 bags when necessary. As stated in the linked thread, I love my Burton - Double Deck Wheelie Sub bag. The hard side on one half keeps all my fragile stuff safe - usually bottles of wine. The soft side on the other half provides some flexibility for odd shaped stuff like the timing chain cover for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The outside zipper access allows quick access to small stuff like a water bottle. These days in the newer models of the bag, the outside, small zippered compartment provides waterproof insulation from the rest of the bag for stuff like wet clothing.

This bag isn't cheap and will run you $250-$300 but, with a lifetime warranty, you won't need to buy another one.

I also carry a US Army surplus duffel bag in case I need to carry more stuff than what will fit in my Burton bag. That's been handy for carrying stuff like brake rotors and pads for my Grand Cherokee. I've also packed a few softball bats, catcher's equipment, etc. in there from time to time.

For my carry-on, I was burning through the $90 Dell Alienware backpacks at the rate of one per year. I have a problem with carrying too much stuff in my backpack - usually more than one laptop. Two years ago, I bought a tactical backpack from AR500. Including the Armor Plate (to stop 7.62mm), it cost $150. After two years, my backpack shows no signs of wear and I love the little velcro patch part and side pockets for quick access. I've got a velcro Puerto Rican flag on my backpack so there's no mistaking which bag is mine when you're stuck in the security X-Ray line.

Funny parts of this thread
  • 150+ flights/year - what are you a pilot? Or... are you one of these guys who lives in Waco so no matter where you go, you have to add on two segments - to/from Dallas before you go anywhere else? I learned this trick from my brother's father-in-law who was bragging to me about how many segments he flew every year (100+). I was bragging about how great it was living in Denver because I could fly almost anywhere in the USA nonstop. He let me know I had it all wrong. As far as serious travelers, I used to work with a Sales Manager based in Hong Kong who bragged to me about how he did 108 flights in a single year. That guy did tons of pointless travel. I don't know how you'd get to 150+ flights/year.
  • 100K miles/yr - That doesn't tell me much until I know how far your average flight is. For me, I could do that with 5 round trip flights from Sydney to Boston. As it stands right now, I start every year with 4 planned trips that will net me 60K miles. Add in one personal trip to Texas and I'm at 80K miles before I even break a sweat.
  • United 1K - I've been United 1K and frankly, it doesn't really do anything for you beyond what being Gold does for you. Qantas on the other hand, there is a significant difference between being Gold and Platinum. Unfortunately, since I need to travel to the USA as well as Singapore and India, I need to maintain status in both StarAlliance and oneworld.
ww
AG
Myself, wife, and 2 kids all recently got some cheap hard side spinners. They look cool, but don't expect them to make it through too many flights, at least the 2 that we will check.
Ag CPA
AG
This year I have trips to Asia, Europe and a vacation in Hawaii later this year, that will account for about a third of my mileage. The rest is primarily domestic; usually travel around 25-30 times a year.

A decent amount of this is usually leisure so I can't complain like the poor souls that hit 100k on a regular basis just flying for work.
CoolaidWade
AG
Hardside is best if you want to get more life out of your bag. In the baggage bins all Hardside bags get rolled from one end to the other and then stacked. If it's a soft bag it's just assumed that it doesn't roll and gets thrown from one end to the other.

Could be 10 feet could be thirty feet.....
reddog90
AG
Checking back in here. It's not that my future wife and I travel a ton. We might do 1 international flight every other year for vacation and a few domestic flights for business and vacation every year. No pissing contest on travel here, I would rather stay home frankly. I just want some nice luggage that will last us several years.

I read through that other linked thread as well. Thanks. Seems like most people prefer soft sided unless traveling with fragile crap. I have a pelican case for my camera equipment, I don't really put anything fragile in my luggage. But wouldn't a hard side inherently last longer than a soft side?

Do yall like Samsonite? They have some spinners with the wheels set higher on the bag so it appears you wouldn't lose the space someone mentioned.

http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/carry-on-luggage/samsonite-silhouette-xv-19%22-spinner/78592XXXX.html?dwvar_78592XXXX_color=Black&cgidmaster=lugaz-lu075

A friend of mine and his family swear by Rimowa 4 wheelers which I will check out as well.
histag10
AG
We have a few Samsonite, and we love them. Our carry on is a Samsonite spinner, and it fits in the overhead just fine, and I havent noticed a loss of space in it (I can still fit everything I need in a carryon in it)
HeightsAg
Material is much more important than the brand. If you go soft and want it to last, buy ballistic nylon. Rimowa is great but it is $$$. And lastly, regarding the protruding wheels, if you look at the dimensions of the luggage that you linked, you will see that the body is 19" while the overall is 21". Typically, 22" is the cut off limit for a carry on including the wheels so you are losing two inches. The wheels on traditional rollerboards are built into the body so you body and overall dimensions are the same. 2 inches may not sound like much but it makes a difference. It's really up to you on what is most important - storage space, ease to pull, and durability.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Briggs and Riley Baseline or GTFO.
DanHo2010
AG
Hard side, no question. My last set of soft side didn't even make it through 2 trips to the third world. One piece flew out the back of a pickup in Leyte and got a 12 inch hole in it. That's when I made the switch.
agsquirrel97
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Fun thread. I'm sure I've traveled more than 99.9% of you. I made my first flight to the United States mainland at 4 months old. Heck, I had status on PanAm.35 years ago.

Anyway, when I used to do 80 flights/year in the US, I used a cheap carry-on after I got tired of United losing my checked luggage. I bought a cheap carry-on bag for $50 at the outlet mall in Castle Rock, CO. It lasted a good 5 years.

Nowadays that I pretty much only do long-haul International flights (14+ hours), I check my luggage and take full advantage of the fact that I can check 3 bags when necessary. As stated in the linked thread, I love my Burton - Double Deck Wheelie Sub bag. The hard side on one half keeps all my fragile stuff safe - usually bottles of wine. The soft side on the other half provides some flexibility for odd shaped stuff like the timing chain cover for my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The outside zipper access allows quick access to small stuff like a water bottle. These days in the newer models of the bag, the outside, small zippered compartment provides waterproof insulation from the rest of the bag for stuff like wet clothing.

This bag isn't cheap and will run you $250-$300 but, with a lifetime warranty, you won't need to buy another one.

I also carry a US Army surplus duffel bag in case I need to carry more stuff than what will fit in my Burton bag. That's been handy for carrying stuff like brake rotors and pads for my Grand Cherokee. I've also packed a few softball bats, catcher's equipment, etc. in there from time to time.

For my carry-on, I was burning through the $90 Dell Alienware backpacks at the rate of one per year. I have a problem with carrying too much stuff in my backpack - usually more than one laptop. Two years ago, I bought a tactical backpack from AR500. Including the Armor Plate (to stop 7.62mm), it cost $150. After two years, my backpack shows no signs of wear and I love the little velcro patch part and side pockets for quick access. I've got a velcro Puerto Rican flag on my backpack so there's no mistaking which bag is mine when you're stuck in the security X-Ray line.

Funny parts of this thread
  • 150+ flights/year - what are you a pilot? Or... are you one of these guys who lives in Waco so no matter where you go, you have to add on two segments - to/from Dallas before you go anywhere else? I learned this trick from my brother's father-in-law who was bragging to me about how many segments he flew every year (100+). I was bragging about how great it was living in Denver because I could fly almost anywhere in the USA nonstop. He let me know I had it all wrong. As far as serious travelers, I used to work with a Sales Manager based in Hong Kong who bragged to me about how he did 108 flights in a single year. That guy did tons of pointless travel. I don't know how you'd get to 150+ flights/year.
  • 100K miles/yr - That doesn't tell me much until I know how far your average flight is. For me, I could do that with 5 round trip flights from Sydney to Boston. As it stands right now, I start every year with 4 planned trips that will net me 60K miles. Add in one personal trip to Texas and I'm at 80K miles before I even break a sweat.
  • United 1K - I've been United 1K and frankly, it doesn't really do anything for you beyond what being Gold does for you. Qantas on the other hand, there is a significant difference between being Gold and Platinum. Unfortunately, since I need to travel to the USA as well as Singapore and India, I need to maintain status in both StarAlliance and oneworld.

The irony is strong, how is it possible to laugh at people who travel less than you while simultaneously poo poo'ing people who travel more than you? This person flies too many legs, another flies too few miles, while a third flies the right amount of miles, but maybe they don't fly enough legs to form a luggage opinion! And all of them are TOO braggadocio for you who had to use 6 paragraphs and 3 bullet points to give us your bona fides.

I want to say something about self awareness, but your user name tells me to just walk away.

Bless Your Heart
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

The irony is strong, how is it possible to laugh at people who travel less than you while simultaneously poo poo'ing people who travel more than you? This person flies too many legs, another flies too few miles, while a third flies the right amount of miles, but maybe they don't fly enough legs to form a luggage opinion! And all of them are TOO braggadocio for you who had to use 6 paragraphs and 3 bullet points to give us your bona fides.

I want to say something about self awareness, but your user name tells me to just walk away.

Bless Your Heart
This is an entertainment site and I find it hilarious. I also type 60wpm so, 6 paragraphs or whatever just flows from my fingertips like the Emperor electrocuting Luke Skywalker.

Too many folks on here get too wrapped up about which is the best way to do stuff when the answer they should be seeking is what's right for them. Heck, I can even throw out a travel stroller recommendation but that would only draw out the folks who hate people who travel with screaming infants.
  • don't hate the player who uses formatting
  • save the self-awareness lecture for the office. This is TexAgs where everybody makes 200k and is at least Exec Plat on AA if they're from Dallas and 1k or even Global Service if they're from the 'tine
posting this on my phone across the street from Warner Bros. after flying from Sydney to Bangalore back to Sydney and then to LAX in the past week.
Always_Right
AG
Since you used my post as an example of a "funny part' of this thread I'll respond to your post with bullet points of my own.

• 150+ flights a year and its probably closer to 200, I live in Houston so I can travel direct to all of my accounts in the US and most of my international ones.
  • I travel Monday - Friday every week I'm not on vacation, and end up flying on at least 2 of my trips a year while on vacation so you can say I fly 50 weeks out of the year and make 4-5 direct flights each week.
  • Last year I spent 254 days in a hotel, not including 2 vacations and flew 187 paid flights (not segments).
  • My post was not a bragging post but simply "I fly a lot and this is what I do/like". It would be no different then me asking someone who works out 6 days a week advice about getting in shape. They don't have all the answers but they have more than I do and I can add that advice to any research I do on my own and make an informed decision.
  • There is nothing to "brag" about in regards to how much I travel, its not much of a life and I envy those who get to go from home to work and back again each day. That is the kind of life I'm envious of.
  • 1K is much better than having Gold/Platinum. I get upgraded to first class on at least 50% of my flights with 1K and only got upgraded once or twice with Platinum and never with Gold. Add to that the global/regional upgrades you get on top of the status and I love 1K. I've already been able to upgrade quite a few family/friends flights this year, both regional and global. I love 1K and hope to have Global in a few more years if I keep up my current pace,
  • In regards to luggage, its personal preference. I enjoy the hard sided because I think they last longer and protect my things better but its really up to the individual and how much use the luggage gets.
suprafly03
AG
The amount of dick measuring based on how much one flys on this thread is HILARIOUS.

I'd love to see you guys go at each other based on salary. It would get REALLY vicious then...
HollywoodBQ
AG
Great_I_Am said:

• Last year I spent 254 days in a hotel, not including 2 vacations and flew 187 paid flights (not segments).
  • My post was not a bragging post but simply "I fly a lot and this is what I do/like". It would be no different then me asking someone who works out 6 days a week advice about getting in shape. They don't have all the answers but they have more than I do and I can add that advice to any research I do on my own and make an informed decision.
  • There is nothing to "brag" about in regards to how much I travel, its not much of a life and I envy those who get to go from home to work and back again each day. That is the kind of life I'm envious of.
  • 1K is much better than having Gold/Platinum.

254 nights in a hotel, I hope you don't have a spouse or children. Wow. That is seriously crazy travel. In fact, with that much travel, I'm surprised you don't have roadies and a tour bus to support you. Of course with a username like Jesus Christ, maybe you're already working enough miracles and don't need them.

If you're looking to lose 10-20 pounds, is a big difference than somebody who is trying to tone out for their final competition pose down. So the list of supplements you get jacked up on from GNC is probably not going to be as useful as some simple eat less, workout more advice.

Personally, I found 1k to be relatively useless the couple years that I qualified. Since I travel mostly to the US and Asia, It is much more advantageous to me to have 50,000 miles in two programs - Star Alliance and oneworld than it is to have 100,000 miles in a single program.
HollywoodBQ
AG
suprafly03 said:

The amount of dick measuring based on how much one flys on this thread is HILARIOUS.

I'd love to see you guys go at each other based on salary. It would get REALLY vicious then...
This is the travel board, not the GB where there was a recent thread about how difficult life is once you earn more than $500k
Always_Right
AG
suprafly03 said:

I clearly won.
Philo B 93
I fly about once per year.
- Osprey backpack
- credit card for anything I forgot or didn't fit
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.