Favorite National Park?

102,328 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Lavender Gooms
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's your favorite National Park? Now saying Yellowstone or Yosemite is too easy, so it can't be in the top 10, based on visitors.

Top 10 National Parks:
  • Great Smoky Mountains
  • Grand Canyon
  • Rocky Mountain
  • Yosemite
  • Yellowstone
  • Zion
  • Olympic
  • Grand Teton
  • Acadia
  • Glacier

And because we live in Texas, we will add Big Bend to the list.

So what's you favorite "non top 10 + 1" national park?

Photos of course highly encouraged.

Mine is probably Capital Reef. I visited in 2006, hitting up the Moab area for Spring Break. We hit Arches, Canyonlands, and Capital Reef, but Capital was my favorite.

We hiked Spring Canyon, spending the night tucked up in a hole on the side of the canyon. I thought the whole park was pretty, the domes spectacular, the groves of Fruita cool, but that hike amazing.

Hickman Natural Bridge

Henry Mountains from Rim Trail

View from Rim Trail

View from Chimney Rock Canyon Trail

Spring Canyon

Spring Canyon

Camp in Spring Canyon

If you ask my kids, they will say Carlsbad Cavern. We've moved across country twice. Our first time I took them there, along with Hotspring and Grand Canyon. They begged to go back to Carlsbad. On our second cross-country move, we also hit up Joshua Tree, Saguaro, and Padre (seashores count). They are still unanimous.

I've been there numerous times and down Slaughter Canyon Cave and lower cave, but will include just a few from the big room tour, which is the tour they did.

Natural Entrance

hds
AG
Excited to follow this! Great idea.

I love all those in the top 10 that I have been to so far . . . 9 of the 10 . . . need to check out Zion.

So my favorites that are not on the list (in no certain order):
1. Volcano NP in Hawaii
2. Death Valley NP in Caliornia
3. Dry Tortugas NP in Florida

I know the Grand Canyon NP is on the list but it is pretty cool and has a special memory for me as I hiked the South Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch/Bright Angel Campground and back out on the Bright Angel Trail. It was a super accomplishment and really was an awesome experience!

So many places left to explore!
AggieOO
Can I use Guadalupe mountains national park? It's the forgotten national park in texas.

I go to BBNP all the time. Only been to a couple not on the top 10 list. Badlands, Carlsbad caverns, and death Valley are my only other ones.
BQ2001
AG
I loved Black Canyon of the Gunnison and I've only scratched the surface of it. The night skies are amazing there.

Rocky Mountain NP is up there too but it can get crowded. Good mix of views and lots of wildlife

Volcano NP was nice as well. Nothing like you can really see on the mainland.
wangus12
AG
Rainier National Park is great once you get about 2 miles away from any of the visitor areas. Climbing the mountain or hiking the Wonderland trail are fantastic
91poohah
AG
Zion.

Just got back from Arches, Canyonlands, and Zion. Spent time in Big Bend and Rocky Mountain last year, as well as Bryce and Zion. Lucky enough to have experienced Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier Bay, Volcanoes, Tetons, Everglades, Lassen, Haleakala, Gunnison Black Canyon, Redwoods, Sequioa. Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and Joshua Tree... All are amazing in their own way, and though I have been to RMNP too many times to count, Zion is where I can't wait to return to. Only been there 3 times, and already planning my next trip.

I will agree Canyonlands is amazing, and was a total surprise and unbelievable in scope. Just massive and really amazing, can't wait to go back and explore it more. Arches is very accessible and amazing as well, and Bryce is equally as beautiful, but the massiveness of Canyonlands is crazy. I know Grand Canyon is the biggest hole in the ground, but Canyonlands is the 2nd biggest hole in the ground, and really undisturbed and impressive. Utah topography, geography, and geology is really insane. Like nothing else...

But as for Zion, it tops them all in my book. Can't really explain it in words, and pictures of any of these places are all amazing. It just stands out to me.

And yes, it was on the list of Top 10, and you wanted those not on the list... but wow, Zion is just too good not to plug. So maybe Canyonlands would make the non top 10 list...
Here4Beer
AG
Zion National Park.
malenurse
AG
Denali
TommyGun
AG
For a non top 10 park I would probably go with either Carlsbad or Mesa Verde. For a top 10 park I think it's hard to beat Yellowstone. Everything from the wildlife, geological features, scenery, hiking, and fishing is top notch, for me.
Pro Sandy
AG
Absolutely.

McKittrick canyon in the fall is one of the most beautiful places on earth
Bachelor99
AG
Lassen Volcano and North Cascades are very underrated but top quality parks...great hiking and backpacking in both!
Post removed:
by user
Waterski02
AG
Grand Canyon, I'm partial as I was married at the bottom of Deer Creek Falls within the canyon.

You can't really fathom Grand Canyon until you visit all the side canyons that make the place.
AggieOO
Waterski02 said:

Grand Canyon, I'm partial as I was married at the bottom of Deer Creek Falls within the canyon.

You can't really fathom Grand Canyon until you visit all the side canyons that make the place.
it was eye opening just going R2R2R and getting down into the canyon.
mpl35
AG
Well if I can't go with the "top 10," I'll pick Sequoia. The beauty of the Sierra Nevada range with less crowds. Throw in some giant trees and its a great place.

I also love Crater Lake. Maybe the most beautiful of them all but less hiking.

My other consideration for top pick would be Great Sand Dunes. Neat park and cool hiking in a small bundle.

*random internet pics
Random Ag
AG
Haleakala on Maui

It's literally like another planet. I love other NPs but this one is unlike anything else and i saw like 10 people on the entire trail all day.

I did the sunrise at top then 13 miles hole down Sliding Sands Trail and back up Halemau'u .
oragator
Its amazing to me how little love Bryce Gets. Some of the most photogenic places on the planet.

If I had to pick 5...
Bryce
Crater Lake
Grand Tetons
Glacier (going to the sun road alone makes that place special).
And for selfish reasons, Great Falls/Shenandoah. I am there one at least once every couple of weeks, they really helped foster my love of hiking.

Lots more to visit though this, list will change I am sure.
mpl35
AG
Why are y'all ignoring the OP rules of not too 10+1?
FrontPorchAg
Wrangell-St. Elias
Denali
Glacier
North Cascades
Grand Teton
Yosemite
Sequoia
Yellowstone
Olympic
Rainier

My only caveat is Wrangell is the hardest to access. It has the most beautiful park if you are willing to work to get into it.
ursusguy
AG
Rainer and Everglades are cool.

But Glacier is my favorite ;-)
RachAg2007
AG
I have a special place in my heart for Arches- I go every year.

Gates of the Arctic and Wrangell-St Elias are absolutely stunning. I need to go back and spend more time there.

Lassen Volcanic NP is also quite spectacular.
notheranymore
We're hitting Arches, Canyonlands and Grand Canyon for Spring Break.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
I'll preface by saying I've not visited a great number of National Parks. However, I love Mammoth Cave NP. If you've never been I encourage you to visit.
CanyonAg77
AG
mpl35 said:

Why are y'all ignoring the OP rules of not too 10+1?
For the same reason they are ignoring National parks restriction?
91poohah
AG
Are we allowed to discuss National Parks still? I think so, as long as science isn't mentioned, right?
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Petrified Forest was my favorite to work at. I like Arches as well but there are too many visitors there. Always wanted to work at Death Valley....
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Everglades
aggiemom89
Has anyone visited Acadia Np in Maine? Planning a visit there this summer and curious how it was.
Post removed:
by user
Texan_Aggie
AG
My rankings in order:

1. Rocky Mountain National Park - Stayed in Estes Park in September. Park had thinned out, aspens were yellow/orange/red, and the elk were in rut. Best part of the trip was hiking to Sky Pond and back. Ended the day drinking wine next to Fall River watching the sunset.

2. Zion - Stayed in a cabin near the lodge. Great hikes, scenery, and wildlife.

3. Yellowstone - So many different things to see in one park.

4. Big Bend - Lots of good family time and driveable.

5. Denali - Just awe inspiring with how massive it is.

6. Volcanoes/Haleakala - Different parks, but must see if you are on either island. Would not spend more than a day at either.

7. Bryce Canyon

8. Grand Canyon

9. Grand Teton

10. Capitol Reef
Smokedraw01
Not a national park but the Na Pali coast in kauai is one of the most beautiful places I've ever hiked.
ccard257
AG
Black canyon. Car camped and I don't think there was anyone else in the entire campground. not my pic.

Sapper Redux
aggiemom89 said:

Has anyone visited Acadia Np in Maine? Planning a visit there this summer and curious how it was.

Wife is from near Acadia so I've been a few times. It's gorgeous and surrounded by lobster shacks on the way in. Make sure to rent a kayak and get out to the islands.
Pro Sandy
AG
Went in May of 2009.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/1843495

Muntic0re
very beautiful, I was in Wood Buffalo National Park

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.