Hiking Palo Duro Canyon at night

8,881 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by ursusguy
gazelle01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm trying to plan an upcoming trip to Palo Duro Canyon State Park and want to hike out to the Lighthouse for some sunset and Milky Way photography after dark. Is it advisable to hike around out there (and the 3 miles or so hike back to the parking lot) after dark? Am I going to get attacked by a mountain lion? Or get lost on the trails? The park says the trails might be very hard to follow at night, but I will have a headlamp and flashlights obviously; can't decide if they're just being super cautious in their advice or if finding my way back's not that hard with proper lighting and a healthy dose of common sense.

Anyway, if anybody familiar with Palo Duro or that hike specifically has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Am I going to get attacked by a mountain lion?

Okay, will attempt serious answer....

I won't say it's impossible, but it will be hazardous. One of the biggest problems is lack of communication. If you did get hurt, there's no cell service. Park attendance goes down in the winter months, so it could be a while before someone finds you, especially on the end of a long trail.

Animals will not be a problem. Might be some bobcats, no mountain lions here. The biggest predator would be a coyote. Our coyotes are shy and generally don't run in packs. You might hear them, I doubt you'd see them. Rattlesnakes would be unlikely this time of year, though I'd certainly be aware if it were a warm day. They might crawl out onto the bare ground of the trail to warm up.

As I recall, the lighthouse trail does not go near any cliffs, so you won't fall off one. However, there are some uneven and steep sections. A twisted ankle is possible. I also recall the Lighthouse trail is pretty wide and not a lot of nearby brush. I don't think you'd be likely to get lost. There are a few vapor lights at campgrounds and at the visitor's center near the rim, so use them as a reference.

The canyon, being below the horizon, will not be the beneficiary of any ambient lighting from nearby towns. And the nearest town is 14 miles away, anyway. If it gets cloudy, you may be in can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face territory.

I'd have really good lights, lots of water, layers of warm clothing, and leave word with the staff to look for you if your car is still in the lot come morning.

Sun rise/set and moon rise/set times will be off by about an hour as you're down in a hole.

Cross post on the Panhandle and Outdoors boards. Lots of Outdoors folks have been to Palo Duro. I can dredge up some old PD Canyon threads on the Panhandle Board if you need more general advice, or I can answer direct questions here.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 10/25/2013 12:19p).]
gazelle01
It's a legit question.
CanyonAg77
AG
To add to the previous, I really feel the danger lies in the uneven trail. It goes up and down and around through several dry stream beds and gypsum layers, so the footing is not great, especially at night.

Don't know if you can adjust your timing, but maybe you can plan to take photos early in the evening, then hike out later when the moon rises.

If you're into photography, take a look at the photo contest winners (including one of mine)

http://www.visitamarillotx.com/paloDuroPhotoContest.cfm
gazelle01
Thanks, CanyonAg. There won't be moonlight because I'm specifically targeting the New Moon when it's darkest in order to capture the Milky Way and as many stars as possible. So it would be dark. I will hike in before dark and pay close attention to the trail, I could possibly put out some reflective markers anywhere where it looks like there could be some confusion, then be sure to collect them on my way out after dark. But I'll have heavy-duty lighting with me, so don't feel like I'd get any more lost on a wrong path than I would during the daylight I suppose. The park office says there are mountain lions, although not many (of course, it just takes one!). I was thinking the same thing you said about rattlers, I'd just be cautious with my footing. I'm not concerned about bobcats or coyotes. I do imagine it could get cold up in there at night, so I'd bring appropriate layers. Good point about adjusting times, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the link with pics. They're beautiful, congratulations on yours (whichever it is!).
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks. Mine is the couple wading the creek. My daughter and her (now) husband.

Definitely cold at night. You do realize that the elevation at the park bottom is around 3000' msl. We're further north, we're higher, and we're drier than most of Texas. That means it can get very cool when the sun goes down. Especially if it is windy, which it often is.
CanyonAg77
AG
Depending on how long you're around, check out Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Sayokomarn's Restaurant, and go to Caprock Canyons State Park near Quitaque.
gazelle01
Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on doing Caprock Canyon and also wanted to pay a visit to the Cadillac Ranch, but for some evening star shots (after I leave Palo Duro), and then again for sunrise perhaps if I'm awake at that point. I'll look into that restaurant too.
CanyonAg77
AG
My opinion of the Cadillac Ranch is that it is a celebrity. Famous only for being famous. One can get the same ambiance by walking through a wheat field to a junk yard. Your mileage may vary.

If you are thinking about selling photos, keep in mind that the Cadillac Ranch is copyrighted, and any image that shows the Caddies buried at a angle infringes on said copyright. This from a friend on the Amarillo Convention & visitor's bureau on why they are restricted on their photos of the CR.

Again, I don't know how much time you have, but I'm sure you're aware that Caprock Canyons has its main entrance at the south at Quitaque. But it's a pretty drive down the north side of the park on Highway 256.

You can circle the east edge of the park to get back to the south entrance via County Road 29. It's dirt, you can do it in a car if it's dry, but a pickup is better.

There's a natural bridge/tunnel a short hike down this trail. On this aerial, you can see the creek going under Trail J. If you follow J a little further south, you run into some interesting spots of alabaster gypsum in the creek bottom. I might post some photos later.

Don't miss the scenic drive on highway 207 between Silverton and Claude, especially the section below the Lake Mackenzie dam.

If you're into history at all, read up on The Red River War, as you'll be all over the battle area.

In Tulia, eat at El Camino restaurant, get at least one chile relleno.

Don't know where you're staying, but there are two pretty new hotels near the WTAMU campus. Linkeroonie

Fat Boys has good BBQ, don't take credit cards. Feldman's is a good all-around (American Food) restaurant, and Pepitos is our good local Mexican Food. Sayak's Thai is best in town, especially if you like Asian.

The PPH Museum is one of the best regional museums in the United States. A good alternative if the weather is too bad for the Canyon.

Anything else, let me know.

EDIT:Old thread with a bunch of PD Canyon links to info and pictures.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 10/25/2013 4:39p).]
Potcake
AG
OP, you could go up towards Borger, through Panhandle, and get some playa lake shots. On to Borger and get the Carbon black plant. That thing is really scary.
gazelle01
Thanks to both of you for all the tips!
EMY92
AG
If you do get attacked by a mountain lion, try to take pictures.

I think you'd be the first in the history of the state to get attacked by one.

However, if you're anything like your username, then you may want to be careful.
gazelle01
quote:
However, if you're anything like your username, then you may want to be careful.

You now understand my concern. If that mountain lion's on Texags, as I can only assume, then I'm screwed.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Just find a donkey jawbone and go all Samson on a mountain lion if you actually see one
gazelle01
Here's some other helpful suggestions provided by my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HgUBWiR7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Lmkm5EF5E
Professor
Regarding the Lighthouse hike, it looks very different coming and going...so I'd suggest hiking in and out during the daylight at least once before you try to hike out in darkness.
gazelle01
Thanks. I emailed a question the other day to a professional photographer in Amarillo and he offered to possibly come along with me, which would be fantastic. He's hiked the area alot and has even led night-time photo workshops out at the Lighthouse, so if he could join me, that would be seriously awesome.
ursusguy
AG
I wouldn't be remotely concerned about mountain lions in Palo Duro.

There have been 5 fairly minor injuries related to mountain lion in Texas, and they have all been in and around Big Bend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.