Suggestions for Maui

23,343 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bco2003
dbtexasag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let me do some digging with the family. I dont remember off the top of my head.
dbtexasag05
Flatbread Company
RVAg02
AG
Just bumping to see if anyone else has anything to add. Headed over to Maui on Sat morning!
ghollow
AG
Bump
PPAag06
AG
How'd it go RVag?
RVAg02
AG
Awesome. The four seasons on Maui is one of the nicest resorts we've ever experienced. The staff was far and away the best and most attentive. Even those with no hope of a tip treated us like family. Great place.

Mamas fish house was LE-GIT
dbtexasag05
Glad to hear it! Did you go to Eskimo Candy?
RVAg02
AG
Never made it. Kept talking about it but never got there. Next time.
dbtexasag05
Damnit. I was going to live vicariously!
RVAg02
AG
Restaurants we visited:

Duo at The Four Seasons - delicious steak but service was SLOOW
Mama' Fish House - epic...simply epic.
Humuhumunupunupapu'a (sp?) - very good. I had a seared Ahi dish with a Foie gras ravioli that was delicious
Monkeypod - Good. Dead tired that day, so probably didn't fully enjoy.
Ferraro's at The Four Seasons - tables all have direct view of beach and sunset. Awesome view. Tasty, but not otherworldly Italian food. You go for the ambiance.

Wrec86 Ag
Leaving for Oahu and Maui in the morning.
PPAag06
AG
Also leaving for Maui in the morning! Will hopefully be trying many of the restaurants listed on here.
dbtexasag05
I swear if you clowns don't go to Eskimo candy I will rip hearts out and serve to critters.

Kidding. Have fun, but seriously Eskimo candy.
PharmD4
AG
Just got back from Maui a few days ago. Obviously, this thread pretty much has everything covered, but I'll submit these opinions:

-The dining is overpriced and underwhelming. I'm not a food snob by any stretch of the imagination, but I only had a handful of meals that I would consider worthy of recommendation.

-The road to Hana is a must. I was almost talked out of it by several people who said it was a slow, long drive with no destination, but my stubbornness prevailed. We drove through Hana to the Pipiwai trail, explored the coastline, hiked to Waimoku Falls, continued driving around the island (clockwise), and were back at the resort (south Maui) by 4:45pm. It was an absolute blast! The roads south of Hana can be a bit treacherous, but it's worth it IMO.

-Warren and Annebelle's is awesome. We were selected to be part of his act during dinner, so we were literally seated just feet away from Warren for the show's entirety. Recommend the royal flush package.

-Don't underestimate how cool the temperature can be in some parts of the island. Mrs PharmD4 wished she had brought a light jacket on several occasions, despite my recommendation to do so.

-Snorkeling/beaches/ziplining -- as advertised.

-Take plenty of pics.

This thread was useful in my planning for the trip...especially the rec to read Maui Revealed. So thanks to everyone who contributed.
dbtexasag05
Obviously Pharm did not go to Mamas or Eskimo Candy
RVAg02
AG
quote:
The dining is overpriced and underwhelming

Clearly didn't go to Mama's
PharmD4
AG
quote:
only had a handful of meals that I would consider worthy of recommendation

Although, I admit, never heard of Eskimo Candy... sorry 05... I failed.
dbtexasag05
Failed is an understatement.

More like trip was a catastrophe.
Wrec86 Ag
Going to Eskimo Candy tonight- what do I have to get there? Looks like they have a little bit of everything
aggiegal79
Road to Hana is gorgeous! It takes time so allow about 4 hours. You will want to get out and hike to see the waterfalls. Absolutely a must!
aggiegal79
Mama's Fish House also has awesome food with an AMAZING view!
PPAag06
AG
Wrec86, we went to Eskimo Candy last night and it was just OK. Better than some, worse than some. We really liked Coconuts just down the road from Eskimo Candy. By far the best food we have eaten since we got here. We ate dinner with some locals and they raved about Coconuts, thus the reason we found it. Both are very reasonable. Spent about ~$35 at each place. Have reservations for Mama's tonight.
Wrec86 Ag
Biked down Haleakala after the sunrise this morning. Staying at the Grand Waleia.

Ill check out Coconuts. I'm sure we can fit it in between now and Sunday. Is it a lunch place,

Was there anything at Eskimo Candy that was better than the other stuff?
PPAag06
AG
Eskimo Candy - I had the fish (mahi) and chips and my wife had shrimp tacos and oysters. The fish was fried perfectly and my wife loved the oysters. For the price, this and Coconuts are two of the best places IMO.

At Coconuts (lunch type place), I had the cajun style Mahi Mahi and it was great. My wife had Coconut Shrimp and both were really good.

We ate at Mala (upscale Marriott restaurant) and were not pleased at all. This was the only bad food we have had so far. $100+ too.

[This message has been edited by Ppaag06 (edited 7/3/2013 5:50p).]
Wrec86 Ag
PPAag- gotcha- thanks for the tips
dbtexasag05
Thank God!

[This message has been edited by Dbtexasag05 (edited 7/3/2013 9:29p).]
Wrec86 Ag
Eskimo Candy closes at 7? Wtf?

Guess we're going to Coconuts
Aggiemike96
AG
Who's on Maui now? I'm stuck here with the in-laws for the next 9 days and dying to try something new. Been to Hana, check that box. Been to Haleakala, check. What's this Eskimo Candy all about?
Wrec86 Ag
We're leaving this afternoon. Just ate lunch at Mama's Fish House which was excellent but very pricy. Eskimo Candy is way overrated - or we just didn't order the right things. Coconuts was way better. Monkeypod (one on Oahu and Maui) is very good as well.
Bike ride down Haleakala was a lot of fun. Hike to Waimoku falls was probably my favorite thing we've done on the trip.
Aggiemike96
AG
We're headed to a Bon Dance tonight at the family church in Lahaina. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary, so I'll find somewhere to take her out to eat. Might try a new place. We're in Kahului, but Kihei and Lahaina are doable.

Any thoughts on Maui Brewing, their tour?
Aggiemike96
AG
Also, Wrec, who did you fly and what route? We're from Houston but have been flying out/in DFW due to "competition" there and better fares (way better fares). We're though LAX both ways on United this time. T&P for those in San Francisco today.
Wrec86 Ag
We're flying United back through San Fran tonight back to Houston. What happened in San Fran?

Edit- found the news report- that's awful. On the phone with United (estimated wait time- 1 hour) to see if everything is still on schedule with our flight)

[This message has been edited by Wrec86 ag (edited 7/6/2013 8:12p).]
Wrec86 Ag
Didn't do Maui Brewing so don't know.

Mama's fish house is absolutely worth it for an anniversary dinner.

Probably run you about $200 depending on what you order.
dbtexasag05
Man hopefully Eskimo Candy isn't going downhill.

I get the fish tacos or a poke bowl. Pronounced pokee.
BSD
AG
quote:

Any thoughts on Maui Brewing, their tour?

I'm love craft beer so I had lunch at the brewpub about two months ago. You can get sampler trays of their beers which I enjoy better than the tours. Between my wife and me, we sampled about 24 different beers! There are brews at the brewpub that you won't find anywhere else so I'd recommend it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.