Suggestions for Maui

23,245 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bco2003
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading out in a month - any new suggestions?
dbtexasag05
Makena Golf Club is going through a remodel, but still in great shape. They did however get rid of the waterfront holes.

We stay at polo beach club. Also if you are at 4 seasons please please please ask about Eskimo Candy restaurant!

Second mamas fish house.
RVAg02
AG
heading out first week of June to the Four Seasons. This thread is awesome. I love how some people take polar opposite views of the same stuff.
Phat32
AG
Staying at Westin Kaanapali Villas, plan on SCUBA and spending tons of time on the beach.

Eating at Merriman's, Pacific'O's and Kimo's...then whatever else catches our fancy.

Thanks to this thread, I think we're going to do the Pineapple Tour.

Road to Hana is out as I have heard the roads are a beating.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Hana is a great trip. The roads arent that bad, unless you are 65 years old. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery. Leave early.
BQ2001
AG
I just got back and if I did it over again I would skip Hana. It was nice and everything but it is ALLLLLLLL day event. Unless you stay a night in Hana I would just spend an extra day on the beach. By the time we got to the 7 sacred pools (which were really nice) all we wanted to do was get back to the hotel.

Sunrise on the volcano was a miss for us, there was too much cloud cover but we heard from another couple of people that the day after was great.

We took surfing lessons at Goofy Foot. If you are doing lessons, opt for an early session as there are less schools out there and you can get more runs in.
RVAg02
AG
most of the rest of the week will be spent at the beach. If the real thing is half as cool as the pictures I've seen, I'll happily spend all day on the east coast of Maui.
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
RVA - I won't be wearing my ring but I'll wear my aggie hat now and again. If you see me holler.
dbtexasag05
Rv,

Not to be a jerk, but you will not be welcome on that side of the island by the locals. It can also get pretty shady in some areas downtown.

Don't leave anything visible in your car if you get out on the north and east shores. And if it gets dark get back to the resorts. Maui can be dangerous if you are not careful.

I hate to bethe Debbie downer but trying to speak from some experience. I love the place, but you still need to be smart.
RVAg02
AG
Thanks for the advice (I've heard it before). However, not sure why you felt compelled to single me out. I'm merely saying that based on the pictures and prior reports from friends and family, the road to Hana, although a beating, is worth a try.

Very few places worth visiting these days (i.e., not resorts) are so safe that you can leave stuff out in your car or be out late at night. But again, thanks for re-iterating.
Phat32
AG
Has crime been worse lately? I've always felt very safe in Maui.
dbtexasag05
I should have looked at how I typed that. I did not mean to single you out.

Sorry about that.

Rasher-my BIL lost his keys on the north shore at an off road trail. The rental car sat there for a couple of hours (he is an idiot and did not want to pay for a tow back to the airport) and when we got back the car had been set on fire. Apparently this is common place for rental cars in Maui. All the personal items in the car had been stolen.

Pretty Crazy.

[This message has been edited by dbtexasag05 (edited 4/5/2013 9:52p).]
RVAg02
AG
No worries.

Crazy story about your BIL. Isn't the north shore like another world and not your typical maui with very few tourists?
Joan Wilder
AG
Leaving tomorrow!!

We are staying at the four seasons - dumb question should we go clock wise or counter clockwise for road to Hana? What time should we leave in the morning?
RustyBV
AG
You should start the Road to Hana clockwise, I would recommend getting on the road before 8 am if you want to make it to the 7 sacred pools and back.
bco2003
AG
One good thing about going clockwise, is you get to stay on the inside lane (as opposed to the cliff) all the way around.
J.P. 03
AG
If anyone is looking for an "off the beaten path" restaurant recommendation, check out The Gazebo in the Lahaina area for breakfast. It's covered but still mostly open-air, and the breeze coming off the water is very refreshing in the morning.

Only downside is they don't take reservations, so you have to stand in line and get a table the old-fashioned way (and I don't mean that you put your name on a list and then go sit down somewhere; you literally have to stand in line until a table opens up).

If you're a pancake fan at all, then you need to try a small layer of their coconut syrup underneath your regular syrup.

Couldn't find a website for them, but here's a link to the reviews on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60634-d404362-Reviews-Gazebo_Restaurant_at_Napili_Shores-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html

The pictures pretty much tell the story.

Wrec86 Ag
Any reviews on the Grand Waleia? We are looking at July 4th week.
AgInMO
AG
Mama's fish house thank me later.
Phat32
AG
Headed out there on Sunday, very excited.
RVAg02
AG
Jealous. I have another month to go. We'll be at the Four Seasons the first week of June if any other Ags are there.
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
im so ready i already have senioritis at work
Phat32
AG
Just don't get stuck in a 3+ hour plane delay like we are currently...
Producers_96
AG
Getting married on Waikiki the week before Memorial Day, spending Memorial Day week at the Four Seasons. Already have reservations at Mama's Fish House, and a tee time at Wailea Emerald.

Never been to Hawaii myself. Definitely not looking forward to an 8+ hour flight, but I figure spending 8 hours in a tube to get to heaven is just preparing me for death...
HaveGoodGetGive
AG
Anyone been to Merriman's?
Phat32
AG
Was stuck in the DFW airport for 12 hours waiting for the OGG flight. Worst delay ever.

I will let you know about Merriman's, going there on Saturday.
Joan Wilder
AG
We had a big group delayed coming home on that OGG-DFW flight. Wonder if that's common.

The four seasons was spectacular - I ate like I was going to the chair at that breakfast buffet each day. We were paddle boarding in the Pacific each morning at 730am - so amazing.

We ended up skipping the road to Hana, and just went to paia and mama's fish house. The views were amazing.

Thanks for all the tips!
aggiedrew04
AG
Go to the Warren and Annabelle's magic show in Lahaina. Make sure Warren is the performer for the night. His show was awesome and he's really funny. One of my favorite things We did in Maui last week.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Heading there bright and early tomorrow! Really looking forward to it. Lots of great info I took from this thread.
dbtexasag05
I'm going to say it again. Eskimo Candy restaurant.

RVAg02
AG
Why does Eskimo Candy close at 7? I guess an early dinner or lunch there, huh.
dbtexasag05
Sorry RV I didn't know it closed that early or I would have warned you. Sorry about that.

Come to think of it, it was lunch or early dinner.
RVAg02
AG
no worries. I haven't gone yet! Just saw that on their website and thought it was strange.
dbtexasag05
You are in for a treat!

There is a pizza joint in Paiea (sp?) that is pretty good if you guys get in the mood for pizza. Longhis in "The Shops of Wailea" is an awesome breakfast as well.

I typically sit in the four seasons and drink coffee and play the stock market when i go. Its awesome at 4 in the morning when no one is up and you just sit and enjoy the waves hitting the beach...need to get back ASAP!

If you need a good little tourist spot, my wife and I got married on Makena Beach. What a view. We had our ceremony at the little church down there. Great place to take pictures or have a picnic.

I will keep checking back if you have any questions.
RVAg02
AG
what's the name of the pizza joint? Bit of a drive from the Four Seasons, but we could catch it when we are out sometime.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.