Upgrading airplane seats

9,092 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Pro Sandy
ag97tx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ursusguy - I'm with you on trying to save money on airfare. No point in spending money if you don't have to.

Diet Cokehead - Just because somebody decides to sit in coach doesn't mean they can't afford to fly first class. Just means they don't think the benefits are worth the pricetag. I guess when the people chuckle in 1st class they must stick their noses in the air a little bit too. Not everybody with money decides to sit in an overpriced airline seat for the towels, nuts, drinks, etc. Must be like all the "rich" people that drive 300 series BMW's while people like Warren Buffet drive old Ford or Chevy pickup trucks.
WorthAg95
AG
Most people that fly FC don't even pay for it, their company does. So I don't see any reason for them to act "snooty".
Texangler
quote:
I know what you wrote and tried to imply, but your answers prove to those that understand First Class that you did not do what you say you did.

All it proves is that not all FA's care if the last passenger boarding the plane sits in a FC section that's not even half full.

AgFan1999
AG
I'll agree with Diet Cokehead. It is theft, plain and simple (depending on original ticket price it could be theft of $500+)
hbc07
AG
it's not theft.
ag97tx
AG
Ag fan 1999 - Is it still theft if I dont take the hot towel or drink the drinks. What if I just eat the nuts and drink something that I could have off the regular beverage cart? It doesn't cost them anything additional if the seat wasn't in use then right?
Not predmid
Pfft... Who flies on planes that even have classes.

Southwest FTW.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Who flies on planes that even have classes.

People that don't like connections
BMX Bandit
sitting in a first class seat for which you have not paid or been upgraded is theft. you are taking something, even if just a more comfortable seat, to which you are not entitled.

you can try to rationalize your behavior, but its still theft.

as for OP: just ask at the ticket counter for an upgrade. the worst they can say is no.
dcAg
Here is what I have done too many times to count. Every once in a while it will work.

Check in at the counter and ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available. You have nothing to lose and at least you gave it a try.
Vero143
"Just because somebody decides to sit in coach doesn't mean they can't afford to fly first class. Just means they don't think the benefits are worth the pricetag."

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

"I guess when the people chuckle in 1st class they must stick their noses in the air a little bit too."

Or because it is funny to see some schmo trying to be sly and get caught. It has nothing to do with sticking noses in the air.

[This message has been edited by Vero143 (edited 5/10/2009 2:44p).]
Vero143
I agree 100 percent with this:

"sitting in a first class seat for which you have not paid or been upgraded is theft. you are taking something, even if just a more comfortable seat, to which you are not entitled.

you can try to rationalize your behavior, but its still theft."

Stop trying to justify your bad decision.
RockinAg10
quote:
Stop trying to justify your bad decision.
It's not a bad decision if it works, and while you paid double to triple the price he did, he gets to enjoy the same minimal benefits. And even if this "theft" does go noticed, it is highly unlikely that he will be in any legal trouble. So you can try to preach about how this is stealing and not fair, but at the end of the day Texangler comes out on top.

[This message has been edited by RockinAg10 (edited 5/10/2009 4:50p).]
Vero143
Texangler is a punk.

Great response from a c/o 10 member. I forgot you young'ns know everything already.
Dr. Devil Dog
quote:
And even if this "theft" does go noticed, it is highly unlikely that he will be in any legal trouble. So you can try to preach about how this is stealing and not fair, but at the end of the day Texangler comes out on top.

Wow, this gives new meaning to that obviously out-dated phrase: Aggies don't lie, cheat or steal . . .
ursusguy
AG
Mrs. 96CH53---Excellent point
AgFan1999
AG
If you ask the airline to upgrade and they do, great. If you paid for the first class ticket to begin with, that's great as well.

I'm just astounded as to the younger generation's attempt to rationalize theft. It is theft of service.
Flaith
AG
my dad could beat up your dad
bthotugigem05
AG
I just can't figure out any way that it's not outright theft. Someone help me figure it out.
Disco Stu
AG
quote:
It's not a bad decision if it works, and while you paid double to triple the price he did, he gets to enjoy the same minimal benefits. And even if this "theft" does go noticed, it is highly unlikely that he will be in any legal trouble. So you can try to preach about how this is stealing and not fair, but at the end of the day Texangler comes out on top.

So stealing is OK if you get away with it? No wonder society today is so f'ed. I just can't wait to see what the next 30 years have in store for us.
ag97tx
AG
I don't think it is theft if you asked permission to sit in first class. I see it as more of a courtesy from the airline if seats are available.
ColoradoMooseHerd
It is not theft if you ask for permission, but that is not what they are talking about
piag94
AG
Not everybody with money decides to sit in an overpriced airline seat for the towels, nuts, drinks, etc
------------------
100% of people that sit in FC couldn't care less about the above statements. They sit there because;
1. the company pays for it
2. they are automatically upgraded by the airlines
3. they have a CC that gives them upgraded miles
4. the price increase is not a big deal to them.

It might be overpriced (or unaffordable) to you, but not to others.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of First Class passengers actually pay for the actual FC fare.

Most of us are elite members that get upgraded automatically or through a "sticker" system that accumulates free upgrades and can be bought at an additional small cost if you are out of stickers.
cjo03
AG
just sliding into an empty seat would not work on continental.. their upgrade process automated.. no need to look at the actual manifest.

quote:
Continental has recently offered the ability for non-elites if space is available once all FC and elites have been upgraded.

i've been platinum for 4 years now and can't recall ever seeing an empty first class upgrade list.. continental lets you see the list at http://pda.continental.com/info/ granted i normally fly mon mornings and thurs evenings so the lists are always long.. this morning i was 2nd on the list of 56 and i did not get upgraded.
Pahdz
this thread is like reading the snobs on FlyerTalk

i'm no VBIT but I don't fly enough to gain status either. i also can't convince my wife to ever pay to sit in first
cjo03
AG
i would be happy to lose my status.. it would mean i spent more nights at home.

i've never paid for a first class seat other than with points on our vaca to europe.
Hincemm
AG
quote:
On AA, I've been in FC many times

thanks, chris-chris.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Its easy to become a travel snob once you begin traveling frequently for work. You have the routine down and it frustrates you to watch or be slowed down by the VBITs who don't know the security process, feel the need to re-check in at the gate, crowd the jetway 10 minutes before boarding blocking the first class and elite pre-boarders all the while holding a Group 6 boarding pass.

They clog the aisles, can't get their bags into overhead storage, get totally shocked and offended when a flight is delayed due to weather or mechanical issues. Stop at the exit of the jetway of the arriving airport because they are so mystified at the view of a new terminal they can't think to keep walking and check overhead signs for directions.

I could go on.....
Furlock Bones
AG
lots o cry babies on here
ColoradoMooseHerd
SlowLane

Nail hits Head
Pahdz
quote:
Its easy to become a travel snob once you begin traveling frequently for work. You have the routine down and it frustrates you to watch or be slowed down by the VBITs who don't know the security process, feel the need to re-check in at the gate, crowd the jetway 10 minutes before boarding blocking the first class and elite pre-boarders all the while holding a Group 6 boarding pass.

They clog the aisles, can't get their bags into overhead storage, get totally shocked and offended when a flight is delayed due to weather or mechanical issues. Stop at the exit of the jetway of the arriving airport because they are so mystified at the view of a new terminal they can't think to keep walking and check overhead signs for directions.

I could go on.....

boom goes the dynamite

my biggest pet peeve is morons at security. never fails to see people with full tubes of toothpaste and economy size Herbal Essence bottles in a backpack
Sooner Born
Security + Clear Card = crazy awesome
ChipFTAC01
AG
The weirdest thing as a primarily work traveler is flying somewhere on the weekend, especially flying Southwest. Southwest during the week is all guys bouncing around Texas in their business suits with briefcases and drawings.

Southwest on the weekend is like going to a flying Kmart.
ColoradoMooseHerd
LOL
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.