Upgrading airplane seats

9,093 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Pro Sandy
FHKChE07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The people at security drive me up the wall. I am so glad that elites lots of times get there own place to go through. Especially the people that put their ticket/passport/DL in their carry-on and run it through the x-ray.
cjo03
AG
quote:
Especially the people that put their ticket/passport/DL in their carry-on and run it

dont believe this is a problem anymore.. ive flown 42 times this year (dfw, lax, atl, iah) and havent had to show my ticket once.
ColoradoMooseHerd
cjo03

Depends on the airport. Den still requires it and several others do to.
bthotugigem05
AG
It frustrates me sometimes too. I pack my wallet, belt, and everything I'd need to take out of my pockets into my carry-on and wear easily removeable shoes. The only reward for doing this it seems is I get to wait on everyone else.
schmendeler
AG
alot of self back-patting going on in this thread.
FHKChE07
AG
Most of my flying is international and that is where I run into issues.
Jock 07
AG
Sat in first class for the first time the other day. Lady came on the plane after it was full and asked me if I would switch seats with her so she could sit next to her daughter. I agreed and she gave me her first class seat. I then proceeded to kick the cheap ass who was trying to sit in her seat back to coach. Flying is much more enjoyable with a couple of beers.
I Heart Tony Romo
quote:
Its easy to become a travel snob once you begin traveling frequently for work. You have the routine down and it frustrates you to watch or be slowed down by the VBITs who don't know the security process, feel the need to re-check in at the gate, crowd the jetway 10 minutes before boarding blocking the first class and elite pre-boarders all the while holding a Group 6 boarding pass.

They clog the aisles, can't get their bags into overhead storage, get totally shocked and offended when a flight is delayed due to weather or mechanical issues. Stop at the exit of the jetway of the arriving airport because they are so mystified at the view of a new terminal they can't think to keep walking and check overhead signs for directions.

WOW... I've had this same thought, verbatim. Additional annoyances include: 1)people who try to roll their bags down the aisle of the plane ("excuse me miss... if you'd just pick it up, the wheels wouldn't get caught on every seat you pass and you might have avoided hitting that elderly man in 12C" and 2) The inevitable crowd of retards that feel the need to stand directly over the baggage claim belt from the moment the first bag drops, thereby blocking access to people who's bags are actually available to pick up ("excuse me sir... the fact that you, your wife, and 3 kids are standing, side-by-side, 3" from the belt will not cause your bags to arrive any sooner... Back off!" I've always thought there needed to be some sort of electric fence around those things... Like you can't cross the red line until your bag is actually in sight or you get shocked. Maybe I'll trademark it. (TM)
kwammer
FC will often stay less than full until the elite windows for FC upgrades begin(which is usually 72-hours before departure). This allows the seats to be sold before they are given out by those elite fliers looking for upgrades.

Don't get your hopes up, but it certainly can not hurt to ask.
Lulz monkey
i've flown fc twice. once i asked the guy at the ticket counter and he just upgraded me (airtrans), and the other i was given a "pre-boarding pass" at the automated kiosk, then given a middle seat at the back of the plane at the gate, then told my seat would be reassigned and given a first class ticket.

and? the second time was this past wednesday. and? some chick had tried to do what texangler did and sneak into a fc seat only to get caught and told to move to her correct seat. and? i did scoff at her.
The Kraken
AG
I've flown "Business First" on Continental 3 times...once to Brazil and once to Argentina, the other time to Panama when I was able to purchase the upgrade for $150 when I checked in online. Also, one time FC on AA from Miami to Houston when I volunteered when the gate attendant asked for help on an overbooked flight (ended up not needing the help and upgraded me instead).

All I can add is that IMO flying FC for anything less than 2 or 3 hours on a narrow body aircraft isn't worth the expense. If you're getting a reward ticket and want to fly FC, go for it on long haul international trips and not on domestic flights.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:
OW... I've had this same thought, verbatim. Additional annoyances include: 1)people who try to roll their bags down the aisle of the plane ("excuse me miss... if you'd just pick it up, the wheels wouldn't get caught on every seat you pass and you might have avoided hitting that elderly man in 12C" and 2) The inevitable crowd of retards that feel the need to stand directly over the baggage claim belt from the moment the first bag drops, thereby blocking access to people who's bags are actually available to pick up ("excuse me sir... the fact that you, your wife, and 3 kids are standing, side-by-side, 3" from the belt will not cause your bags to arrive any sooner... Back off!" I've always thought there needed to be some sort of electric fence around those things... Like you can't cross the red line until your bag is actually in sight or you get shocked. Maybe I'll trademark it. (TM)

People crowing the baggage carousel is one of my biggest travel pet peeves. I don't know why, and maybe it's just my imagination because I'm in a hurry to get home, but this seems to be much more of an issue at DFW than at any other airport in the country. Sometimes I just almost can't bite my tongue.

Also, people that dawdle deplaning and exiting the jetway. Seriously! Don't know where you're going? I DO, so please keep walking and get out of my way! I assume that most adults can read signs and walk at the same time, but that seems to be a pretty generous assumption.

Haha, I could go on forever. I'm a really nice person in general, but I am a seriously impatient traveler.
KW02
AG
quote:
Continental has recently offered the ability for non-elites if space is available once all FC and elites have been upgraded.

I am lucky enough to get upgraded on most of my flights. I had never seen Continental to do this until this past Friday when there were numerous FC seats available. Continental gave about 4 Marines FC seats on the flight from San Diego to IAH. There were still FC seats available but the seats were not given to any other non-elite flyers.
BTHOB
AG
quote:
It is not theft if you ask for permission, but that is not what they are talking about

Based on what many of you "First Class Regulars" are saying, I don't think what Texangler does qualifies as theft. If the FAs know who should or should not be in FC and do not ask him to take his assigned seat, then implied consent has been given. If they do NOT know who should be there, then I think the argument for theft becomes stronger.
bayouaggie
AG
Living in Australia for the last three years, I rack up a ton of flyer miles and have elite status on multiple airlines (company pays for me to fly business everywhere). As stated before, the flight attendants have a list with the name of everyone in FC/BC. They know if you are supposed to be there or not. I have seen FA's send people to the back of the plane numerous times when they see them sit in a supposed to be vacant seat. I think the main reason for this is the FC FA's are sometimes snooty and don't want to serve an extra person.

Also, as someone else stated, airlines (Continental and Qantas at least) use FF programs to upgrade people to FC/BC based on their elite status. Even with platinum status, there are times where I don't get upgraded. There are fewer flights and more people travelling these days. I just don't see you getting an upgrade at the desk if you aren't elite. Unless maybe the flight is half capacity and there aren't many elite passengers travelling...

Also, I have never paid cash for FC/BC. It's just not worth the money - especially on domestic US flights. I have used points to fly my wife business class with me on domestic and international trips where the company is paying for my ticket. That's just one of those things you have to do if you want to stay married.
ColoradoMooseHerd
BTHOB

But the thing is, He is lying. He does not do what he claims he is doing.
oneeyedag
quote:
Also, people that dawdle deplaning and exiting the jetway. Seriously! Don't know where you're going? I DO, so please keep walking and get out of my way! I assume that most adults can read signs and walk at the same time, but that seems to be a pretty generous assumption

Haha that is too funny. I just got home from Boston Mass earlier and I pretty much bulldozed a middle age women as she stopped mid stride to stare out at the runway. I never said anything, and just kept walking. People it's an airport, most folks have someplace to be at a specific time. GTFO of the way.
BTHOB
AG
quote:
But the thing is, He is lying. He does not do what he claims he is doing.

Oh, ok. So, if he's not sitting in FC like he says he does, then he's not stealing anything. Right? I wonder what all the fuss was about then...

However, if he DOES do what he says he does, and the FAs KNOW who is supposed to be there, but they don't ask him to sit in his assigned seat, then implied consent is given and he's not stealing.
AgKJ
AG
Good grief.

Helping yourself to something that you didn't pay for just because "no one else was going to use it" isn't right - I don't care what you call it.

If it isn't wrong, then why wouldn't Texangler just ask the gate agent if he could sit in FC before he boards the plane? Oh that's right - because he knows he wouldn't be allowed - therefore, better sneak in and use something he hasn't paid for and hope not to get caught.
schmendeler
AG
wow, this thread is active again? i see that we're still taking our airline seating as serious business.
cjo03
AG
quote:
cjo03
posted 5:05p, 05/11/09

i would be happy to lose my status.. it would mean i spent more nights at home.

still stand by my comment from 2 years ago..

i now have 2 kids and a lower status.. haven't boarded a business related flight since january and it is awesome
superunknown
AG
quote:
1)people who try to roll their bags down the aisle of the plane

I'd also say, if you can't lift your carry-on, you probably should have checked it.
bthotugigem05
AG
People who don't know standby rules, especially the guy who was mad that I showed up at almost the last minute and got on the plane instead of him due to status.
bthotugigem05
AG
Also the person on my last flight who got up 5 times to use the restroom yet looked at me like and idiot when I offered to give her the aisle seat so I could have the window and get some sleep
ag97tx
AG
What is this thread still doing here??

I had clicked on this thread not realizing that it was the one I started about a trip in 2009. In case any were wondering I didn't ask to sit in first class & we sat in different rows and survived.

Start a new thread and let this one die.
htxag09
AG
An old bump here, but just had a flight that reminded me of this thread.

A group of teens were on my flight. No clue where they were going but it was definitely a group of some sort going on vacation or to camp or something together. The "head dad in charge" stood up right after landing and asked everyone to stay seated and let his group get off the plane first because they only had 45 minutes to catch their next leg...
Vernada
AG
Lol. I hope everyone gave him a FU.
IrishTxAggie
AG
I would've told him "Sucks to suck" and gotten off in front of all the little chits...
Pro Sandy
AG
I had a pilot once ask everyone to remain seated except those who had a connection in under 30 minutes as we were an hour late.

We then sat at the gate for 30 minutes waiting for an electrician to fix the jetway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.