Every team now invests heavily into advanced analytics, but are teams actually better for it? I'm not asking if the game is more entertaining, but rather are the teams better quality. It's hard to say, because the steroid era of the 1990s really distorts things, but it's a question I often wonder. I started looking into it today, and I don't think the advanced stats have really made a positive difference. For the most part, I am looking at stats 2005 and later, since that is the first year players got suspended for positive tests. Also, admittedly, it's next to impossible to compare seasons/era because as hitters have gotten better/worse, so have pitchers. I also realize my analysis is all very amateur, which makes sense since I'm not a pro, nor do I feel like spending days or weeks compiling these numbers.
My first theory was that if advanced stats are making offenses better, then we should see more runs being scored. This season MLB teams are averaging 4.47 runs per game, that's essentially flat from last season's 4.45. For the past 5 seasons, MLB teams are averaging 4.44 runs per game. From 2005-2009, MLB teams averaged 4.70 runs per game, or about 5% more.
Another stat I thought could be interesting is OBP. Ever since Moneyball was published, it has become more valuable than batting average. Since it is a statistic that is more valued now, you would expect to see OBP go up. However, the opposite has happened. From 05-09, the average OBP was .334, compared to .315 the past five years, a drop of .019. There is a similar drop in batting average, from .266 to .245. Interestingly, HRs have gone up compared to twenty years ago. For the past five years, teams average 1.14 HRs/G, compared to 1.04 HRs/G from 05-09. Even with the increase power, though, slugging is down (.402 compared to .422) leading to OPS being way down (.755 to .718).
To no one's surprise, the reason for the large drop in nearly all offensive categories is because strikeouts are up substantially. From 05-09, batters only struck out on 17.3% of ABs. Now, it's 22.5%. That leads to almost two strikeouts more per game (1.8).
Now, all of this could be because pitchers are improving at a faster rate than hitters. I don't really know how to prove/disprove that yet. I don't think that can be the only reason, though. I really feel like the move away from putting the ball in play, moving runners over, etc. isn't helping offenses. The increase in both HRs and strikeouts, combined with the decrease in OBP, seems to prove what everyone already knows. Guys are just swinging for the fences. Statistically speaking, even though guys are hitting more HRs, they aren't scoring more runs. Despite all the focus on advanced analytics to improve an offense, they are still scoring basically the same amount of runs. They are just scoring them a different way.
My first theory was that if advanced stats are making offenses better, then we should see more runs being scored. This season MLB teams are averaging 4.47 runs per game, that's essentially flat from last season's 4.45. For the past 5 seasons, MLB teams are averaging 4.44 runs per game. From 2005-2009, MLB teams averaged 4.70 runs per game, or about 5% more.
Another stat I thought could be interesting is OBP. Ever since Moneyball was published, it has become more valuable than batting average. Since it is a statistic that is more valued now, you would expect to see OBP go up. However, the opposite has happened. From 05-09, the average OBP was .334, compared to .315 the past five years, a drop of .019. There is a similar drop in batting average, from .266 to .245. Interestingly, HRs have gone up compared to twenty years ago. For the past five years, teams average 1.14 HRs/G, compared to 1.04 HRs/G from 05-09. Even with the increase power, though, slugging is down (.402 compared to .422) leading to OPS being way down (.755 to .718).
To no one's surprise, the reason for the large drop in nearly all offensive categories is because strikeouts are up substantially. From 05-09, batters only struck out on 17.3% of ABs. Now, it's 22.5%. That leads to almost two strikeouts more per game (1.8).
Now, all of this could be because pitchers are improving at a faster rate than hitters. I don't really know how to prove/disprove that yet. I don't think that can be the only reason, though. I really feel like the move away from putting the ball in play, moving runners over, etc. isn't helping offenses. The increase in both HRs and strikeouts, combined with the decrease in OBP, seems to prove what everyone already knows. Guys are just swinging for the fences. Statistically speaking, even though guys are hitting more HRs, they aren't scoring more runs. Despite all the focus on advanced analytics to improve an offense, they are still scoring basically the same amount of runs. They are just scoring them a different way.