***** Official Houston Astros 2026 Season Thread *****

2,504,666 Views | 39221 Replies | Last: 18 sec ago by BCEDAg
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do love all of the explanations that this move is a salary dump to make the room for a pricy acquisition. While that is a rational thought, the jaded side of me says that we end up with more "we tried to make a deal and it just didn't work out" and at the end of the day, Crane just saves the money.

I don't remember the last time we actually executed a clearly orchestrated move to set up the bigger move.
NE PA Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For a really makes me feel old moment, I can't believe the Astros acquired a 21 year old prospect that is the grandson of someone that made his major league debut while I was at A&M (Cecil Fielder).
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do we know how much money we are saving in the deal? That's all that matters and not because I'm concerned about Jim's ability to purchase his next yacht
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chandler mentioned the Brewers are paying at least $2M of remaining salary. I believe that is at least 25% of his pro-rata.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm kinda over Pena.
superaggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scd88 said:

I'm kinda over Pena.


Especially for what you could get for him
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You are right, I fixed it for you and 3 other people. I typed it a couple of different ways during the picks and didn't update them all.
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good on LMC, though he has a better shot at a 3rd ring with the Brewers than with us. How wild would that be?
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NE PA Ag said:

For a really makes me feel old moment, I can't believe the Astros acquired a 21 year old prospect that is the grandson of someone that made his major league debut while I was at A&M (Cecil Fielder).

The kid seems to get on base a lot, at least. .426 OBP in the rookie league last year with30 walks and 10 HBP in 48 games. This year in A ball, he's at .415 with 33 walks and 9 HBP in 45 games.

Only 210 pounds, kind of a runt for a Fielder.
Heineken-Ashi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOL. Immediately short MSFT stock.

I typed "Astros mid-season trades last decade" into Bing and Copilot decided to provide this amazing breakdown.

Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
linkdude said:

Chandler mentioned the Brewers are paying at least $2M of remaining salary. I believe that is at least 25% of his pro-rata.

Right now, we're looking at going from 11 M under to 13 M under the luxury tax threshold. It's not nothing.

There is around 37-38% of the season remaining. We can take on around 34 M in new contracts. Not nearly enough for my earlier want of Robbie Ray and Jung Hoo Lee.

jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No complaints. I realize doing this is voluntary on your part and not always easy to compile without error but I'm not actually sucking so far so I want my due before things fall apart as per usual.
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heineken-Ashi said:

LOL. Immediately short MSFT stock.

I typed "Astros mid-season trades last decade" into Bing and Copilot decided to provide this amazing breakdown.



Cosgrove deal was the beginning of the end of the dynasty.
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chandler Rome
@chandlerrome.bsky.social
5m
"I didn't want it to be a situation where me kind of being selfish was going to hold the organization back. I love the organization. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Crane. And out of that love and respect, I told him on the phone that I would waive it," McCullers said.

Thank you for your service Lance
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:

Chandler Rome
@chandlerrome.bsky.social
5m
"I didn't want it to be a situation where me kind of being selfish was going to hold the organization back. I love the organization. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Crane. And out of that love and respect, I told him on the phone that I would waive it," McCullers said.

Thank you for your service Lance

Class act to the end. Hope he goes to Milwaukee and kills it.
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's a list of some overpaid players on crap teams we can target:

Giants
Basically their entire team. Becomes a question of how much would Jim accept, what can you get the Giants to eat and what sweeteners can you get thrown in. I've brought up Adames but the same thought process could apply with Chapman. Could you trade for Chapman then trade Isaac? His contract goes through his age 37 season, which scares me a lot with his value being based on playing the field.

Mets
Luis Robert - $20M this year with team option for 27. Starting his rehab. Has been hot arse for 3 years but maybe he can give some juice?

Rockies
Kyle Freeland - $16M this year. Has been hot arse but hey he's left-handed. Might make sense if that lowers the price on McCarthy for a combo deal

Blue Jays
Hoffman - $12M this year and next. Not really overpaid but team relationship seems a bit strained. Makes more sense if you are moving another reliever as backfill or if they want to move him and will lower price on Varsho.

Royals
Seth Lugo - Due $21M this year and next. Is he washed? Looking like a solid Schmaybe

Twins (not out of it but always trying to shave payroll)
Pablo Lopez - What would they give you just to take this contract? Jeffers? Larnach? Both?
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you need a baseball fix, today is the 40th anniversary of the 1986 All-Star game held in the Dome. Roger Clemens vs. Dwight Gooden - the Astros had 4 guys for the first time in forever - Glenn Davis, Kevin Bass, Mike Scott, and Dave Smith.

The player introductions are fantastic to watch. George Brett gets a huge round of applause; the first Yankee - Dave Righetti - gets booed solely because he's a Yankee, even though the Yankees hadn't played a single game in Houston since the exhibition in 1965. Charlie Hough gets massive applause back in the days when the Rangers were sort of our friends.

Tommy Lasorda gets buried in boos and seems to love it. Rusty Staub was honorary NL captain, wore the Colt 45s jersey, and got a massive ovation.

Clemens is absolutely unstoppable, pitching the first three innings, throwing 21 strikes and 3 balls.

Fernando Valenuzeula relieved Gooden in the 4th and struck out Mattingly, RIpken, Barfield, and Lou Whitaker, and pitcher Teddy Higuera all in a row. Scotty gave up a home to Frank White, but also struck out Ripken and Barfield.

bodaciousbood14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have Judge < 50 HR and I think you posted a day or two ago that square should be green
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, I'm sure most would be caught by EOY, but I have Hunter <14 as well.
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My bingo squares will basically be a bunch of Yordan ones for leading the team in various categories and getting over 80 rbi
bodaciousbood14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of course, not trying to be a pest but I would like to not be the literal last name on the list lol
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bodaciousbood14 said:

Of course, not trying to be a pest but I would like to not be the literal last name on the list lol

Pick someone to replace you
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Chris picked Mickey Moniak to Houston, but Taylor Ward, Jo Adell, and JJ Bleday all make some sense, too.
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like the official number is $2.5M in savings.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You can put me last. That's where I'll end up, anyway
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10 years ago, time flies...
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
linkdude said:

10 years ago, time flies...


"I'll trade you that international signing for a pitcher from Japan who will make double that AAV and have a 6.00 ERA" - Dana brown
CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've gone back through the Bingo card and hopefully caught all the squares that I missed yesterday. I am very well aware that unless Dana Brown comes to his senses this weekend, by Monday I'll have to activate Loperfido < 100 G as a square as well. I will be wearing black the rest of the season and will only snap out of this period of mourning if the Astros sign Joey Gallo for bullpen help.

You all need to watch out for HTownAg98, he's the only person to pick the Astros to win 75-79 games and has already picked up rare squares for the team being in last place at the end of a month and for Framber being suspended.

New standings
Name Score
OPAG 5
HTownAg98 5
jkag89 5
LonestarAg09 4
Buck Compton 4
Big Al 1992 4
JohnnyTexAg1995 4
B-Rabbit 3
CFTXAG10 3
wessimo 3
Johnny Foosball 3
CharleyKerfeld 3
Jackal99 3
AggieJ2002 3
1996 3
Marvin 3
CCAg95 3
agenjake 3
AlwysNextYear89 3
Mr.Ackar07 3
Ag_07 3
wehnerhigh20 3
JB12 3
Hornbeck 3
tjack 3
scrimp 3
TexAg2001 2
gambochaman 2
spadilly 2
3B Paul 97 2
DekkerLentz 2
KTAG05 2
JYDog90 2
Prosperdick 2
07ag 2
martin2003 2
mcmav13 2
Louisiana Chen 2
1836er 2
Wabs 2
txags92 2
RO519 2
Chief Elko 2
Cweezy17 2
rausr 2
WES2006AG 2
bodaciousbood14 2
wmitchell 2
Twisted Helix 2
iBrad 2
Teddy Perkins 2
linkdude 2
Dr. Doctor 2
Ambres 2
JoeAggie1010 2
cmk10 2
Mr. Bond 2
Fairview20 2
Wangus12 1
texasaggie2015 1
yayaggies 1
txags11 1
n-touch 1
agproducer 1
superaggie73 1
redline248 1
RED AG 98 1
MTX13 1
KAF 1
Booma94 1
MosesHallRAB04 1
aftershock 1
Mathguy64 1
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CharleyKerfeld said:

You all need to watch out for HTownAg98, he's the only person to pick the Astros to win 75-79 games and has already picked up rare squares for the team being in last place at the end of a month and for Framber being suspended.

Faustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
superaggie73 said:

scd88 said:

I'm kinda over Pena.


Especially for what you could get for him


Pena has a 1.9 bWAR in just 51 games played (a bit under half the games Walker, Cam, Paredes, and Yordan have played), which is 3rd amongst our position players and 4th on the team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2026.shtml

If he could stay healthy his season would be within hailing distance of Yordan's going by bWAR.

If we are sliding towards irrelevancy (we are) we might as well try to capitalize on his value, but I'm more tired of the wretchedness of most of the roster than I am one of our few good players.


CharleyKerfeld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This date in Astro History: Perhaps the greatest rookie debut in franchise history as Ken Caminiti makes the jump from AA Columbus to Houston.

He homers, triples, plays insane defense, and scores the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth off a bases-loaded single by Gerald Young, also a rookie. Danny Darwin throws a complete-game 4-hitter.

Caminiti was NL Player of the Week in his first week in the majors. After 7 games in the majors, he was hitting .407 with a .741 slugging percentage and a 1.169 OPS.




Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scd88 said:

I'm kinda over Pena.


Why?
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CharleyKerfeld said:

This date in Astro History: Perhaps the greatest rookie debut in franchise history as Ken Caminiti makes the jump from AA Columbus to Houston.

He homers, triples, plays insane defense, and scores the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth off a bases-loaded single by Gerald Young, also a rookie. Danny Darwin throws a complete-game 4-hitter.

Caminiti was NL Player of the Week in his first week in the majors. After 7 games in the majors, he was hitting .407 with a .741 slugging percentage and a 1.169 OPS.






superaggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CharleyKerfeld said:

This date in Astro History: Perhaps the greatest rookie debut in franchise history as Ken Caminiti makes the jump from AA Columbus to Houston.

He homers, triples, plays insane defense, and scores the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth off a bases-loaded single by Gerald Young, also a rookie. Danny Darwin throws a complete-game 4-hitter.

Caminiti was NL Player of the Week in his first week in the majors. After 7 games in the majors, he was hitting .407 with a .741 slugging percentage and a 1.169 OPS.







7 year old superaggie73 was there and it's the first game I truly remember vividly being at. My dad took me to many games before that, but that's the first I vividly remember. I'm sure somewhere in the attic I have the program/scorecard to that game. As a kid I always kept score in the scorecards that came with the programs.
First Page Last Page
Page 562 of 1121 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.