Historic MLB stadiums with oddities

3,020 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by monarch
Rongagin71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought this video good, lots of photographs.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
The Polo Grounds…across the river from old original Yankee Stadium…what a ridiculous outfield
Smeghead4761
I've seen it speculated that, were it not for the two parks that he played most of his home games in - the cavernous Polo Grounds, and windy, often homer killing Candlestick Park - Willie Mays might well have caught Babe Ruth before Hank Aaron.

Now, you could probably get some inside the park homers in a park like the Polo Grounds.

I do remember seeing one such in the Giants current park - a drive into 'Triples Alley' in right center that took a nasty bounce off the wall and managed to elude both the right and center fielders.
jkag89
There was also some very cheap HRs to be had in the Polo Grounds.
Smeghead4761
Given the dimensions of the Polo Grounds (~450' to the power alleys, 483 to that bizarre notch in center), the ball Willie Mays made his famous Catch on in the 1954 World Series would have been a homer in almost every other ballpark.

polander ag81
What about the sips old ball park that had the cliff in the outfield?
Aston 91
AG
polander ag81 said:

Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten all about that. Hard to believe they played in this park until '74 (which I hate to admit was a long time ago, even if I was alive then). I'm all for unique aspects of baseball parks, but this is a bit extreme.

https://www.jodyferguson.com/post/clark-field
dabo man
AG
My personal favorite quirk in an old ballpark. When they built Griffith Stadium (the Senators home from 1911-1961) the lady whose home was in center field refused to sell. They had to bring the CF fence in in order to stay off of her property.

BCSWguru
TCU had the stupid painted concrete wall in right center.

Aggie Dad 26
Aston 91 said:

polander ag81 said:

Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten all about that. Hard to believe they played in this park until '74 (which I hate to admit was a long time ago, even if I was alive then). I'm all for unique aspects of baseball parks, but this is a bit extreme.

https://www.jodyferguson.com/post/clark-field

So UTrans got rid of a cool stadium for a crappy Disch Falk?

Interesting. I like the old one
monarch
S
What about the El Paso stadium or Isotope stadium in ABQ? Is that still in use? Don't forget Briggs Field in Detroit. The upper deck in RF stuck out about 5' over the warning track. They served good brauts though.
Peace for Ukraine!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.