*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

766,808 Views | 12881 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Grapesoda2525
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
IMO you should never trade for what a player was, you trade for what they are right now. And right now, Alonso is a .235 hitter with a .465 slug.

Same logic applies to Bergman IMO. Could they turn it around and become the players they were before? Sure. But Alonso in particular concerns me (he only hit .217 last season so it's not like this is a one year fluke). If you could get either of them for virtually nothing, then it's worth the gamble. Trading away players like Duran and Tavares for either of them is a waste of resources and reeks of desperation.
Jimbo Franchione
Flounder Dorfman
AG
For the record, I wouldn't trade Taveras or Duran for anything right now.

If we are in the hunt at the deadline and starting pitchers are getting healthy, I use some of the expiring starting pitcher depth (Heaney, Lorenzen, Urena) to acquire someone's expiring right hand power bat.

And to clarify, I am not trading all of them. Using those guys as examples of where I am looking if I am considering trading anything from the MLB roster.
Tksymm7
AG
I wouldn't mind trading anyone from that crop of guys, but it would have to be for a controllable everyday MLB player, ie. Luis Robert Jr. or the like, but even that would be incredibly risky due to his injury history. It's the balancing act between how much do you value high level bench options like Duran and Smith (when Jung gets back), and if you could upgrade to find a more everyday player to fill your gaps and future outlook.
DallasAg 94
I don't want to take things for granted with Bochy (69), but he likely only has a few more years left to coach.

I don't see CY accepting a down year without giving him everything he needs to win this year and next.

Most WS Titles:
T1) Joe McCarthy (7): NYY - '32, '36-39, '41, '43
T1) Casey Stengel (7): NYY - '49-53, '56, '58
_3) Connie Mack (5): A's - 1910-11, '13, 1929-30
T4) Bruce Bochy (4): Giants - '10, '12, '14, Rangers '23
T4) Walter Alston (4): NYY - '55, '59, '63, '65
T4) Joe Torre (4): NYY - '96, '98-00

I believe Bochy became the 1st to win the WS with both an NL and AL team.

If healthy, a playoff rotation of: Eovaldi, deGrom, Scherzer, and Gray would be phenomenal.
Any offensive weakness that can be improved, I'm in.
rbtexan
S
And I don't see CY potentially mortgaging this team's future on behalf of Bruce Bochy. Agree to disagree.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
Quote:

I believe Bochy became the 1st to win the WS with both an NL and AL team.

Not sure if someone else did it as well, but Sparky Anderson won with both the Reds and Tigers.

ETA: But I agree that Bochy has a limited shelf-life. Hopefully he sticks around for several more seasons though...
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I don't see them accepting a down year and I don't see them doing anything in an effort to get Bochy another ring.

The starting pitching when healthy is loaded. And it will get healthy at some point. That pushes some guys that are currently starting to long relief roles, which shores up the sixth and seventh inning problems.

Jung will be back and Carter or Langford will be in LF. Every other position is the returning starter from the WS team. If you read CY or Bochy's comments, they point that out pretty often.

They might miss the playoffs, but they aren't going to make wholesale changes because of it. Their goal is to stay within striking distance for now, get healthy and see where they are at the end of July. If they're closer than they are today, it means the team is playing better and they can go on a run. If they're further back, there won't be any need to add pieces for this year. They can sell off some expiring contracts and be ready to go for 2025.
Water Boy
AG
Semien was a guest on Mookie's podcast yesterday. Pretty good stuff and some nice insight. Its on YouTube if anyone is interested.
Water Boy
AG
Semien mentions A&M a few times during the podcast.
Coppell97
AG
Seager scratched today.
toucan82
That's probably not great
beagle2009
AG
Water Boy said:

Semien mentions A&M a few times during the podcast.

What did he say??
Water Boy
AG
He mentioned playing A&M in the cws while he was at Cal. Mookie then later asked him who he thinks will win this year and he was talking about watching A&M and before he could elaborate further Mookie changes the subject. It sounded like he was about to pick us to win the CWS this year before Mookie interrupted.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
El Bombi hit
Water Boy
AG
Good start. It's nice seeing the other pitcher have to work the 1st inning.
gigem1223
Why the frick would you do that?
Water Boy
AG
Langford with a few RBIs in this game.
gigem1223
Wyatt living right tonight
WestTexasAg
AG
Any word on Seager?
sburg2007
Can't watch but see they're left loaded. Just can't blow it open
gigem1223
sburg2007 said:

Can't watch but see they're left loaded. Just can't blow it open

Blew our chance trying to pull a double steal with a pitcher struggling to locate. Semien thrown out at 3rd. Cost us at least a run.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Up 3-0. I am not complaining.
gigem1223
Lorenzen just knows how to pitch. Reminds me of Cobra
toucan82
it still blows my mind that the Dodgers' best option at short is Mookie Betts
sburg2007
That stinks. However, I understand them trying to push the issue on the bases now.
Water Boy
AG
We needed to be more aggressive on the base path and recently we've done that. Gonna get caught here and there.
gigem1223
Beginning to worry about Heim. He's been pretty awful, sporting a 79 ops+ heading into tonight. I didn't think he would replicate last season but man, it's been a pretty steep drop.
Grapesoda2525
White Sox ahead of mariners 2-1 in the top of the 9th.

Cross your fingers for the crappy team from Chicago
gigem1223
Mariners are due for a one run loss. Their luck this season has been pretty incredible.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Mariners are due for a one run loss. Their luck this season has been pretty incredible.
Mariners offense doesn't scare me at all. That's the main reason I doubt they can pull away from us.
gigem1223
Lorenzen is a machine. What a signing.
shack009
AG
Lorenzen on cruise control.
gigem1223
And the Mariners tie it in the 9th. Unreal.
Grapesoda2525
Son of a *****.

Julio Rodriguez goes deep and it's tied. Mariners probably going to win now.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Mariners winning back to back extra inning games would suck.

But oh well, hang on and win the series over the Dodgers and things are right again in Rangerland.
First Page Last Page
Page 231 of 369

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.