*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

766,987 Views | 12881 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Grapesoda2525
Coppell97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why did we bring in Hernandez there?
gigem1223
I don't fault the move. It's the 4th inning and Hernandez has gotten us out of several early jams. This one's on Dunning. He needs to go back to the pen.
CampingAg
AG
We swing at every 3-1 pitch, and way too many first pitches.
gigem1223
Welp. Time to go to bed. Should've known this was going to be ugly with the lineup we rolled out tonight.
KT 90
AG
Coppell97 said:

Why did we bring in Hernandez there?

Dunning was at 80+ pitches and it was the third time through the lineup.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
It's a home run derby and Grant Anderson is the BP pitcher. Get this man a screen!
Coppell97
AG
Hard to watch tonight.
DallasAg 94
They are going to be so worn out after tonight, the Dodgers won't score again this series.
Mr Gigem
AG
LOFKINGL
gigem1223
Pitching reinforcements can't get here soon enough. Anderson will be rocketed to the moon once that happens.
Mr Gigem
AG
Not going to matter if our offense continues to average less than 3 runs per game. At this point the offense is what is. We have a fundamentals issue and nothing is going to change this year
Mr Gigem
AG
Holy **** this guy is ****ing awful
CampingAg
AG
He just keeps throwing 92mph middle middle.

Edit: Can he throw to whoever our hitter in the HR Derby will be this year?
gigem1223
Not sure how you can be so sure on that without Jung, Seager and Carter in the lineup. We've seen it. Also, getting pitchers like Scherzer back can provide a spark in the clubhouse.
CampingAg
AG
We just settle way too much in hitters counts. There's being aggressive, then there's being reckless.
alvtimes
anytime I see Anderson in….. its Rangers kicking ass or getting their ass kicked…. tonight he contributed to an ass kicking….. cant wait to see bullpen upgraded to when Anderson has aaa as his affiliate…. starting to think the same about Hernandez…… although i want him to be successful …… 97/98 with run is awesome if he can keep it off middle middle
agent-maroon
AG

Look at Gray vs Buehler ERA & W/L stats and then the betting line of LAD -170. Not saying that we deserve it (we don't), but the Rangers are getting absolutely no respect right now
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Water Boy
AG
This month will make or break the season. We still got 2 more vs LA, a series vs Seattle, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and 4 games against Baltimore. That's a brutal stretch. If this month gets ugly I don't see a path to the playoffs.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Honestly, with the way we've been playing, I wouldn't put a dollar on us.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I don't think the teams we play we really matters. Players will get healthy and the team will either start scoring more runs or it won't.

If the lineup we ran out there last night resembles what the second half looks like, then this team is dead in the water.
Tksymm7
AG
We're not a good team in almost anyway right now, and I think it's going to be another brutal month that could take us out of it, however, one of if not my biggest concern at the moment is Adolis Garcia. To put it kindly he's playing at a replacement level and is absolutely killing this team. Does introducing Josh Jung back into the lineup in front him likely help him? Yeah, but how much? The way he's playing you might be able to put Barry Bonds in front of him and I don't think he'd get a lot better at the moment.

His Baseball Reference slash line is .214/.270/.690/95 with a 0.1 WAR......what do you do with him right now?
rbtexan
S
To me, Adolis was always playing with borrowed money. He's never hit for average, strikes out a lot, and made it to the majors very late (28 his first full season with the Rangers). In the 3 years he's been a starter he's hit .243, .250 and .245. That's probably as good as it's going to get from that standpoint.

He's a fantastic clutch hitter and seems to come through in big situations. Problem is, we aren't in a lot of big situations and he's not hitting well at all - although his strikeout numbers aren't abnormally high for him, they're right about the usual. Having more protection in the lineup would help some, but he's never going to be a guy who hits for average, and he's always going to be streaky. When he's good, he's really really good....when he's not, he's what we're seeing now.

I don't know what to do with him honestly. Just keep running him out there and hope he gets hot I guess.
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
I definitely agree on playing with borrowed money with Adolis, it just makes me wonder when that borrowed money is going to run dry.
rbtexan
S
I think I suggested a year or so ago (maybe I just thought it) that the Rangers should've traded Adolis to the Marlins in a package for Sandy Alcantara. At the time pitching was our biggest need, and I thought it made sense for both teams (Adolis being Cuban would make him an instant fan favorite in Miami).

Obviously it's good that didn't happen, but I'm afraid that the value for him isn't probably nearly as high now as it would have been, and every year it's going to drop. Again, at this point we probably just have to ride it out.
Jimbo Franchione
Water Boy
AG
Most the team seems to be in a slump. Maybe that will mean they explode or play better in 25. I except us to be more competitive next year.
DallasAg 94
If I learned one thing about Adolis it is that he needs that intensity and pressure to perform. He has to play with a chip on his shoulder.

He seems like the kinda guy that if he's playing at the park, he'll probably be mediocre. Hard foul him and he'll turn it on.

Hopefully he'll rise when the pressure is on and gains focus with the intensity.

This is what we went through last year. Semien and Seager are quiet lead-by-example types. Adolis isn't the alpha-male leader to right the ship, but will follow in behind the leader. So, here we are with a struggling offense. No vocal voice rah-rah type.

<Insert Jung>
Tksymm7
AG
Could be a pretty damn interesting offseason for the Rangers if we miss the playoffs and the lineup continues to be an absolute mess to the end of the season.
bmac_aggie18
AG
The only hitter who's either been consistent with last years #'s or exceeded expectations is Josh Smith. Like everyone else has regressed
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

Could be a pretty damn interesting offseason for the Rangers if we miss the playoffs and the lineup continues to be an absolute mess to the end of the season.
Hypothetically, if the Rangers continue to struggle and appear unlikely to make the playoffs... and if by some unlikely chance we are sellers at the deadline... we would freaking clean up:

FAs:
Yates: 22G, 0.81 ERA, 22.1 IP, 29 SO, 8 Saves <- Best AL ERA for a RP.
Lorenzen: 10GS, 3.05 ERA, 59.0 IP, 45 SO <- He would like have enough IP to Qual. Currently 11th in AL ERA.
Heaney: 12GS, 4.06 ERA, 62.0 IP, 58 SO
Leclerc: 25G, 4.71 ERA, 28.2 IP, 38 SO
Urena
Scherzer - Unlikely he'll allow a trade, but who knows.

Others:
Eovaldi - vOption for 2025: 10GS, 2.68, 57.0 IP, 58 SO <- He'd be 8th in AL ERA for SP if Qualified
Robertson - mOpt: 26G, 3.41 ERA, 29.0 IP, 40 SO
Janko
Garcia - +1 ($9.2M)

From yesterday:
Quote:

Too early playoff rotation prediction: Eovaldi, Gray, +2

Lorenzen - I've been as big a fan of his as there is. He was trade in 2023 to Philly after the deadline and didn't perform well, at all. Presumably, he ran out of gas and that could have led to lack of interest in the off-season. I think he'll hold well in the 2H, but don't think he has the experience, nor stamina to make the rotation. I don't think he'll remain in the rotation after 125 IP.

If we want a Lefty it has to be either Bradford or Heaney.

Urena, Heaney, Lorenzen, and Scherzer are FAs after the season. I think that gives Bradford an edge. Scherzer is in the rotation if healthy alive.

Dunning is a wildcard. He has been working on a pitch that I think in the short-term has impacted his performance. Long-term should pay off.

IMO, this is what ends up happening. CYoung has stacked the P to the detriment of the Lineup, so far. If needed, we have the depth in P to get additions to the lineup and he has shown a willingness to Add. As you look what I posted yesterday... Lorenzen, Urena, and Heaney are all FAs.

If Scherzer does well in his next rehab and is activated, that pushes out a P. Likely Urena 1st to trade and Heaney/Dunning to the BP.

We'll likely get one of the guys we've discussed... a RH 1B/OF/DH type. Now, it's Jung + Alonso?!

We just need to see if Carter and Langford are in it down the stretch or they get sent back down to make room for a rental.

Scherzer says he is chasing Rings. Might he add a year or two with the Rangers on a team favorable deal?
Lorenzen is looking for a multi-year deal. Might he be reasonable for a 2-3 year deal?!

If you can get Lorenzen or Scherzer or Heaney to add a year or two, I'd be willing to give up Dunning who has 2 more years. Leiter, Winn, and White become tradeable like Ragans.
DallasAg 94
While probably true... a couple things to consider is that the league overall is down offensively... at least it was a couple weeks ago. And that was comparing 2023 Mar/April/May to 2024 Mar/April/May.

Also, keep in mind as summer comes around and temperatures increase... so does the Offense. So, comparing full season 2023 numbers for BA, OPS, etc to 2024 projected numbers isn't always apples-to-apples.
fc2112
Stay in contact until the break. Help is coming.

fc2112
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Seager at DH. Very good.
Grapesoda2525
Gotta figure out a way to go 2-3 or better in the next 5.

It's all about holding on for dear life and hoping we are still viable in the second half.
bmac_aggie18
AG
fc2112 said:

Did someone get optioned or DFA'd yet to open his spot up?
First Page Last Page
Page 228 of 369

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.