*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

722,701 Views | 12510 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fans tend to look immediate (what gets us the next win or wins this season). Front office has to look long-term.

Short-term who gives a **** what a starter wants if shoving him to the bullpen helps us win games now?

But long-term maybe that pitcher bad mouths the team and/or his agent starts advising his clients they don't care what the actual player wants, and suddenly free agency gets a lot tougher.
94chem
Proposition Joe said:

Fans tend to look immediate (what gets us the next win or wins this season). Front office has to look long-term.

Short-term who gives a **** what a starter wants if shoving him to the bullpen helps us win games now?

But long-term maybe that pitcher bad mouths the team and/or his agent starts advising his clients they don't care what the actual player wants, and suddenly free agency gets a lot tougher.
So...a full commitment to Analytics...until the 16th best player's agent gets mad?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
rbtexan
S
You can rationalize the decision however you want to, but the fact remains that the Rangers are unlikely to put a pitcher making $14M in the bullpen as a long man.

IMO if they don't believe in him as a starter, in next year's rotation, they should trade him. Urena would be a cheaper long man and arguably as effective. I still think Gray should try being a closer...he certainly wouldn't be the first MLB starter to make that transition.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
I suspect the way they are bringing deGrom back... they will likely have him go 2-3 IP as a SP once they call him up. Maybe it is just me, but I'm hoping they don't push him too hard or try to get too much out of him, too early.

If that is 2025, as well, so be it. I'm guessing he'll be a SP... he may just not look like we think.

It would be harder on him, IMO, to be a RP getting up and warming quickly on back-to-back days, than to just become an Opener every 5th day.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Elvis retiring as a Texas Ranger!
Proposition Joe
94chem said:

Proposition Joe said:

So...a full commitment to Analytics...until the 16th best player's agent gets mad?

When maybe 10 agencies represent the bulk of MLB players... yeah, having one of their clients say your franchise didn't listen to your wishes probably isn't wise.
Proposition Joe
rbtexan said:

You can rationalize the decision however you want to, but the fact remains that the Rangers are unlikely to put a pitcher making $14M in the bullpen as a long man.

Yes it's unlikely to happen, but it has very little to do with "we can't have a player making that much be in the bullpen instead of starting".

It's just silly to think that these front offices lean on analytics and maximizing their edge but would then revert to front office neanderthals that missed the day in ivy league business school where they taught sunken cost.
dvldog
AG
Nice that he did this when the Angels were in town so Wash could be there.
Water Boy
AG
At this point I don't care where they put him. As long as he's playing and pitching well when he's in. I agree that he shouldn't be rushed at all. Let him pitch 2-3 innings till the end of the season and let him get his feel back. If he's not ready to go 5-6 innings to start 25 that's fine. Whatever plan keeps him healthy and contributing is the plan we need to stick too.
Water Boy
AG
What about having deGrom go 2-3 innings then have Gray come in? That way deGrom isn't rushed and Gray is essentially on a starters schedule/work load. Once deGrom is ready to go we can either turn Gray back into a traditional starter or trade him.
rbtexan
S
No need to continue going back and forth. I believe that salary factors into the decisions and you don't. Agree to disagree.

FWIW I think your take is spot on, I just think the salary component is added on top of what you're saying. We're very much in agreement otherwise.
Jimbo Franchione
94chem
John Smoltz and Dennis Eckersly did okay.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
KT 90
AG

bmac_aggie18
AG
Old friend Julio Borbon! Sometimes I think about random Rangers like him, wonder if I'm the only one?!
94chem
KT 90 said:

2091 hits. I though he had an outside shot at 3000 about 7 years ago. Didn't expect him to tail off like that. He's still only 35 YO. Heckuva career either way. 15 years in the Bigs and done at 34.
94chem,
bmac_aggie18
AG
He also racked up a crisp $137 Million Dollars per Baseball Reference. Gonna be comfortable for a couple generations lol
sburg2007
Bottom half of this lineup tonight. Woof

ETA: this entire lineup tonight. Woof.
94chem
bmac_aggie18 said:

He also racked up a crisp $137 Million Dollars per Baseball Reference. Gonna be comfortable for a couple generations lol

Jimbo money. Amazing what it can do to a guy's edge.
94chem,
toucan82
rally time
alvtimes
Missed the Andrus celebration…. I gotta admit…. I was really ready to move on from Andrus at the end, but hearing tidbits tonight…. dang what a Ranger career!!
I wished Beltre coulda made an appearance…. woulda been cool!
Mr Gigem
AG
Roof open tonight
GrapevineAg
AG
Our leadoff hitter sits at .236 and our cleanup hitter sits at .221. Blech.
Mr Gigem
AG
How can you be late on an 89 mph fastball?
bmac_aggie18
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Our leadoff hitter sits at .236 and our cleanup hitter sits at .221. Blech.

Rendon and Adolis have the same batting average lol
cmiller00
AG
If my tickets for tomorrow say ring offer does that mean I get a ring and don't have to be early or anything?
dave94
AG
cmiller00 said:

If my tickets for tomorrow say ring offer does that mean I get a ring and don't have to be early or anything?

Correct, and I got this email today:

cmiller00
AG
Thanks!
Super Aggie 64
AG
Hello Win Column!
Get the win tomorrow for a 7-3 homestand!
fc2112
Roof open, looks great.
sburg2007
Glad I took the family to the one game they did not do anything this weekend. I'll take a series win though and inch closer back to .500
cmiller00
AG
Completely different with roof open. Glad I'm in the shade tho.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Hello Win Column!
Is 88 wins enough for the postseason? 18-0 Let's go Rangers!
fc2112
Super Aggie 64 said:

Hello Win Column!
Is 88 wins enough for the postseason? 18-0 Let's go Rangers!

I this division? Hell yeah.

Question is if 81 wins is enough
DallasAg 94
FWIW:

The road ahead (Next 10 +/-):

Minn: WC3 v LAAA (3), then v Cincy (3), then @ Cle (4)
Seattle: 3.5GB v SDP (2), then v Texas (4), then NYY (3)
Detroit: 4GB v Colorado (3), then v Balt (3), then @ KC (3)
Boston: 4GB v Balt (3), then @ NYY (4), then @ Tampa (3)
Tampa: 5GB @ Philly (3), then @ Cle (4), then v Boston (3)
Texas: 6.5GB @ Arizona (2), then @ Sea (4), then v Tor (3)

DallasAg 94
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/41179333/jacob-degrom-max-scherzer-declared-ready-rejoin-texas-rangers-rotation

Jacob deGrom, Max Scherzer deemed ready to rejoin Rangers

Quote:

"He's ready to start here," Bochy said of two-time Cy winner deGrom. "Same with Max. Both had great outings, terrific outings."
Quote:

Bochy said the staff is still discussing specific dates for deGrom and Scherzer with the possibility that deGrom could pitch Friday in the second of four games at Seattle.

That should give this team so much juice.
First Page Last Page
Page 353 of 358

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.