*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

718,030 Views | 12494 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by South Platte
Just Tired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WestTexasAg said:

What a depressing weekend after getting ourselves right back in the thick of the race. Damn.

Amen. you can't blame mgmt if they choose not to aggressively bolster this team. Bad stretches like last year with no great stretches to offset them.
gigem1223
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/latest-on-rangers-deadline-plans.html
WestTexasAg
AG
gigem1223 said:

Here we go with these new terms again. Ok, someone explain this one to me:

Quote:

Such a move would provide an undeniable boost to the Texas offense, which has gotten an MLB-worst 57 wRC+ from the DH spot in the lineup this year.
DallasAg 94
Moving Lorenzen as suggested would not be a surprise.

I hope we can get something relevant for him.

I wonder if all the chatter about him was a distraction yesterday. Today he proved he can still pitch.

The article indicates Gray may have a groin issue. Could move Dunning into the rotation and I hope either Mahle gets activated or Urena gets moved back.

Shows how fragile rotations can be.
gigem1223
Like OPS+ it's a normalized stat, but it takes into account external things like the ballpark. 100 is league average.
J.P. 03
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Mr Gigem
AG
Need to start making space on the 40 for these guys on the 60 IL to come back
KT 90
AG
J.P. 03 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Interesting. Maybe that means Mahle and Bradford are ready to go? I am assuming Gray is headed to the IL, so that opens a spot for one of Marhle or Bradford. But trading Lorenzen just opened another spot.

I assume Knizner gets traded today to someone as well.

KT 90
AG
Jung and Bradford are in St. Louis....

Mr Gigem
AG
The press release says we are still full on the 40 man roster.
gigem1223
Pennington looks like a pretty solid get for Lorenzen. Gives us another lefty out of the pen with control and options.
DallasAg 94
Pennington was on KCR's 40, so I assume we'll remove that?!
DallasAg 94
It won't make up for Ragans, but looking at Pennington's body of work... he looks like he could a Left-handed bullpen piece in 2025.

Not sure he'll be on the Active Roster this season, but might get a late season call-up?!

I like this move. I really like Lorenzen and didn't want him moved to the BP. Giving him a chance to push through the full season as a SP will help his off-season search. Wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers try to re-sign him in the off-season.
Water Boy
AG
Don't know if we can afford him. He mentioned several times that he wants a big contract.
Seven Costanza
AG
WestTexasAg said:

gigem1223 said:

Here we go with these new terms again. Ok, someone explain this one to me:

Quote:

Such a move would provide an undeniable boost to the Texas offense, which has gotten an MLB-worst 57 wRC+ from the DH spot in the lineup this year.

Historically bad for a DH. 100 would be average. To give you an idea, Odor had a wRC+ of 58 in the season in which he hit .167.
South Platte
Water Boy said:

He mentioned several times that he wants a big contract.
Are there players that don't?
DallasAg 94
His stated desire was a multi-year deal. Instead, he got a 1yr deal loaded with incentives. My thought on "big" for him was a 3yr deal. Maybe a 2 year deal, now.

He (32) was projected at 2yr/$11M per... before the 2024 season.

I admit, I don't know his number, but he seemed to be a guy that would prioritize years over $$$ in a place of his liking. He has pitched in Cincy, Anaheim, Detroit, Philly, Texas, and now KC.

Would a 3yr/$10M per be considered big to him if he stays in Texas?! Not saying that is out there, but that would seem to me fitting.
DallasAg 94
Roster management:
Evan Carter is on the 40, but 10IL. I'd expect he gets moved to the 60IL, opening a spot on the 40.

Pennington was on KCR's 40, although in the minors. Much will depend on how the Rangers view him for '24, but I believe he can be Optioned/DFA'd opening a spot on the 40. Or remain in the spot opened by Carter.

Lorenzen will be moved off the Active and 40. That could be used for Carson Kelly (or Jung), allowing us to have both Knizner and Kelly for a time.

Andrew Knizner - Will have to be moved, unless Kelly will serve in DH and C. Once Jung is ready, I'd suspect Knizner is gone.

Mahle will need a spot on both the Active and IL.

For St. Louis we have:
Eovaldi
Scherzer
Heaney

Since Gray and Lorenzen both pitched, we have until Aug 2 to declare a SP. We'll probably wait until that day to make public. Then, Aug 3, we'll have another.

Could be Mahle, Urena, or Dunning in that order of my personal likelihood. Mahle would allow us to wait until Aug 2 to decide how we handle Knizner. I think that could also be decided based on how the 3 SPs go and what we burn if they falter.
CowtownAg06
AG
We aren't trading for a guy only to DFA him the next day and risk losing him. Pennington will be on the 40.
Jimtim1216
S
I believe that Mahle is pitching for RR tomorrow night.

Last report on De Grom was that he was throwing BP2-3 times then begin rehab shortly thereafter.

Thinking pitching is not going to be a large issue. Jung helps some, but need another bat.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

His stated desire was a multi-year deal. Instead, he got a 1yr deal loaded with incentives. My thought on "big" for him was a 3yr deal. Maybe a 2 year deal, now.

He (32) was projected at 2yr/$11M per... before the 2024 season.

I admit, I don't know his number, but he seemed to be a guy that would prioritize years over $$$ in a place of his liking. He has pitched in Cincy, Anaheim, Detroit, Philly, Texas, and now KC.

Would a 3yr/$10M per be considered big to him if he stays in Texas?! Not saying that is out there, but that would seem to me fitting.

My prediction for Lorenzen is for him to sign with the Angels. Have heard him mention enough times during interviews that is his hometown area and sounded like he was looking to return (wears the Vans cleats to rep his hometown days). And the Angels probably have plenty of needs as far as pitching goes, so you would think they would be good with a multi-year deal.

That being said, I'd love to have him back next year. Can start or pitch out of the pen, good teammate too. He really stepped up and saved the Rangers bullpen yesterday. But I doubt CY goes for a "big" multi-year contract on him, just depends on what he is looking for. I think he signs with the Angles anyway.
KT 90
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

I believe that Mahle is pitching for RR tomorrow night.

Last report on De Grom was that he was throwing BP2-3 times then begin rehab shortly thereafter.

Thinking pitching is not going to be a large issue. Jung helps some, but need another bat.
Everything I've read on deGrom is late August. They aren't going to rush him along.

I haven't seen that the roster moves have been made (or released publicly) yet, but Jung and Bradford are both in St. Louis per that Jeff Wilson tweet I posted earlier. So maybe Mahle throws one more time in RR and then is ready for MLB level? And it's always possible that "in St. Louis" doesn't necessarily mean that they are both being activated, but things seem to point that way. Pretty good odds Gray ends up on the IL, so they need another pitcher.
gigem1223
Cards just traded for Pham and Fedde just in time for our series. Looks like Fedde will not pitch against the Rangers though.
DallasAg 94
I don't understand all the lingo... Option... isn't there a way to take him off the 40, without exposing him?

Agreed, we aren't going to release him.
Jimtim1216
S
I think that after Mahle's next rehab, that he would be built up to start, even though I'd think he will be on a strict pitch count.

If DeGrom starts a rehab late next week that would put him in the late August time frame.
Mr Gigem
AG
Or maybe the Astros have a **** farm and nobody wants their prospects. No team is charging a higher price just for the Astros. That fanbase is the ****ing worst

gigem1223
Don't you know everything revolves around Houston?

Also, incredibly ironic thing to say when they got Alvarez from the Dodgers for Josh Fields.
DallasAg 94
That post was related to Hunter Brown.

The Astros fans over there are claiming he is a Top3 SP in the AL (the WHOLE AL), now that he has a new pitch. One posted said that Eovaldi "probably" would make their playoff rotation, like he'd be #4 or 1st one out.

I don't think Hunter Brown would make most playoff team's rotation, which it sounds like other teams feel the same way. Other teams must view Brown as not part of a Houston playoff rotation in '25 or they wouldn't be asking for him.

Flounder Dorfman
AG
No one wants to deal with the Astros but they are more than willing to deal with the Yankees and Dodgers. Got it.

The Astros added Justin Verlander at last year's deadline, but that doesn't count. Just like the other trades they've made over the last few years don't count. Teams are mean to them.
gigem1223
Biggest victim fanbase there is
Grapesoda2525
I'll admit I was jealous that when the astros were competing and trying to win World Series

- Verlander was made available and acquired twice by them
- Gerritt Cole was made available and acquired
- Zack Greinke was made available and acquired.

They also got Yordan for a bag of peanuts basically.

It could be none of the players from those massive trades panned out and teams are a little more reluctant to trade with the Astros. It seemed like prices were always astronomical for the rangers front office while it was still being led by Jon Daniels after the famous Atlanta Braves trade involving mark teixera. Nobody wanted to be the next team to get fleeced or owned by JD.

Meanwhile……while the rangers were trying to compete in the early 2010's

We acquired guys like Ryan dempster, Matt Garza, Jeremy Jeffrey's, Jonathan lucroy, a washed up Beltran, Christian Guzman, Jorge cantu.

Lots of the above guys didn't pan out. The only guys comparable to the Astros hauls were when we acquired cliff lee and Cole Hamels. It really sucked that we couldn't hold on to cliff lee tho. He was the best player we traded for in that window.
Seven Costanza
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I don't understand all the lingo... Option... isn't there a way to take him off the 40, without exposing him?

Agreed, we aren't going to release him.

Nope. You can't remove someone from the 40 without exposing them. An Option is when you move a player on the 40 from the 26-man major league roster to the minor leagues. That player still remains on the 40-man roster while in the minor leagues.
CowtownAg06
AG
Options are for going from the 26 man to the farm. DFA is off the 40. If a player is DFA'd he runs through waivers and any team can claim him for free and put on their roster (40 not 26).
DallasAg 94
bmac_aggie18
AG
Mariners acquire Justin Turner from TOR. He's 39.249 with a .254/.349/.371 Slash Line and a 0.3 WAR on the season. Is this how they "go for it"?
First Page Last Page
Page 309 of 357

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.