*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

717,721 Views | 12494 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by South Platte
alvtimes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr Gigem said:

Luis Robert has to be one of the laziest players I've ever seen

I think thats why Sox let Tim Anderson leave…Im just reading between the lines but I think those 2 were dominating the club house with losing attitudes….. now the Marlins already sent Anderson packing.

also Im confused…. why are a few of you saying Rangers need to win 13/15 etc? Hopefully Im missing the obvious….. but 1st place is only 4 games away
South Platte
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Ball game. 3 games down. 12 to go
DallasAg 94
South Platte said:

I'm sticking with my original prayer of needing a 15+ game win streak. Which is simply preposterous to think about since we're barely able to string 2-3 wins together at a time.

Any other season and we're not even thinking about acquiring at the trade deadline. Vying for back to back is overrated, since it hasn't been done in decades. Take our medicine, sell Yates & Co. for future talent, and make another run in 2025. Buying for this season/team makes us look like Artie Moreno and his band of tools.
alvtimes: It is from here.

My emphasis.
WestTexasAg
AG
Managed to win the first two games against the two stud Sox pitchers. Now lets pile up the runs the next two games and get the sweep!
DallasAg 94
And used a lineup with:
Ornelas, Foscue, and Grossman

Along with Josh Smith and Langford.
Grapesoda2525
Oakland A's are literally pummeling the Astros and pounding them all over the coliseum. They've done us a big favor by slowing down the Astros. A sweep tomorrow would be glorious to watch. Send them out of Oakland with their tail between their legs.
alvtimes
3 GB
WestTexasAg
AG
Mariners and Astros both lose again. Just 3 games back!
gigem1223
We desperately need some pop. What we think a deal for Rooker would look like? He'd fit nicely in this line up. Tired of waiting on Adolis to wake up and/ or Jung and Carter to get healthy. It's nice to win games averaging 3 runs/ game but it's not sustainable.
DallasAg 94
Patience comes from waiting.

Rooker will be 30 this off-season and has 3 more years of Arb remaining... but he has a big swing-and-miss in his bat:

88G, 320 AB, 115 SO. His 23 HRs and .291, .370 OBP, .948 OPS plays in the regular season, IMO, but has a .249 BA.

I think he'll be just as frustrating... and have nowhere to play him the next 3 years at Arb prices.

Vlad Jr is more appealing to me, but at $19M in '24 and 1 Arb left for '25, he'll command a ton in trade and payroll/CBT. We could obviously sweeten the pot with prospects, but Toronto is going to want fewer but better prospects than say Oakland would.
KT 90
AG
I have a feeling our incoming RH bat will be Josh Jung, and that is it (which would be great if we can get back the 100% version of Josh Jung). We will soon have some excess pitching, if the rehabs continue along and no setbacks. I can see trading away a pitcher or two as these pitchers become available. But the problem is timing.

With the trade deadline at July 30th, CY may not get to see many of these rehab pitchers throw at the MLB level before making a trade decision. So that complicates things. Can we trade away excess pitching when the excess hasn't happened yet? If no setbacks it could work... but that's a big "if".

Dunning: should be ready later this week?
Bradford/Mahle: I think both need at least one more minor league outing (maybe more for Bradford). I believe Mahle has another mid-week outing this week, then maybe he could be a MLB opener or multi-inning reliever?

deGrom: late August at the earliest I assume for him. Then he could be an opener type for a couple of innings possibly.

Jung/Carter: they both seem to be several weeks away, so sometime in August if all goes well.

Proposition Joe
Barring losing 4 of our next 5, I don't see us trading any significant arm.

As you said, that's trying to thread the needle way too much.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think we'll do dick-all at the deadline. We're the ultimate hold team at the moment, which isn't always great.
Proposition Joe
Not sure why anyone would expect anything but a "hold" team at the deadline.

We've cut the lead to 3 games.

We have multiple +EV players that could be returning in the next few months (Jung, Carter, deGrom), and one player that should have a better 2H than 1H (Garcia).
Water Boy
AG
Good thing this division stinks. I don't think any team in the division hits 90 wins this year.
JWinTX
Water Boy said:

Good thing this division stinks. I don't think any team in the division hits 90 wins this year.
Yep, 85-87 wins will probably win the division.
Tksymm7
AG
JWinTX said:

Water Boy said:

Yep, 85-87 wins will probably win the division.
I think whoever gets into the playoffs from this division is going to get smoked by one of the Guardians, Orioles, Yankees etc. lol
Water Boy
AG
MLB playoffs are weird. I'm sure 95% of MLB fans expected us to get smoked by the orioles last year.
Water Boy
AG
If we got into the playoffs I would like our chances to make a run. That would mean our team played well the second half and we have the talent to compete with anyone.
WestTexasAg
AG
Quote:

Jung/Carter: they both seem to be several weeks away, so sometime in August if all goes well.

Where did you hear this? Last I heard it should be much sooner.
AgBQ-00
AG
sometime in August is a week away
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Jimtim1216
S
WestTexasAg said:

Quote:

It sounds like Jung should begin rehab as early as Thursday or Friday and Carter about a week later. Think they reported during the game last night that Jung could be back by August 1.

DeGrom will throw one more 40-45 pitch bullpen o. Friday and then face batters next week. Which should put rehab starts around Aug. 6, so late August for him.
DallasAg 94
On multiple days, Bochy has indicated Jung could be back as early as Aug 1.

I think Scherzer coming up lame changes the P projections. If he heads to the 15IL, then it opens up a spot on the Active, for Mahle, Bradford, other. That could ultimately land him on the 60IL.

Remember that Mahle, Bradford, and deGrom are on the 60IL and would require someone on the 40 to get bumped to make room. Scherzer could be that person.

On 40: Jonathan Hernandez.
Leiter, Burke,
Daniel Robert. Grant Anderson, Garabito.

My initial thought was, we'd likely have to move someone of relevance to shuffle the IL60 and Active, but I don't know that to be the case with Scherzer being a question mark.

We could end up with a rotation of (5) Eovaldi, Heaney*, Mahle, Lorenzen, Gray; with (3) Bradford, Dunning, and Urena in the BP with (5) Yates, D-Robertson, Leclerc, Sborz, Latz*
*Lefty

That isn't a bad lineup for Pitching.
shack009
AG
Easy call on Robert. It's a fun story, but he shouldn't be a major league player. I have a slight attachment to Anderson because of what he did in his first appearance last year, but he probably isn't a guy worth stashing either.
rbtexan
S
There's a handful of players that could be DFAd off the 40 IMO.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
shack009 said:

Easy call on Robert. It's a fun story, but he shouldn't be a major league player. I have a slight attachment to Anderson because of what he did in his first appearance last year, but he probably isn't a guy worth stashing either.
Any of these could be chopped off the 40: Daniel Robert. Grant Anderson, Garabito

Bigger question is the active roster, and who gets chopped there when Dunning, Mahle, Bradford, and eventually deGrom are ready. They said yesterday that Scherzer is supposed to be good to go for his Thursday start, so likely not him making room on the 25 or 40.

Grapesoda2525
Water Boy said:

MLB playoffs are weird. I'm sure 95% of MLB fans expected us to get smoked by the orioles last year.
John Smoltz was leading the charge. I'm holding out hope that if we don't make the playoffs this year, that the Astros play the orioles and Smoltz swings on the Orioles cock the whole time while the O's eliminate the Astros.
DallasAg 94
As much fun as it is watching what the Rangers do... I think it is equally important (and amusing) to see what Seattle and Houston do.

IMO, Houston needs 2 SPs just to get to the end of the regular season. If JV isn't 100%, they'll need a big arm. They also need one bat minimum. They could also benefit from adding 1-2 RPs.

IMO, Seattle needs 3 bats, minimum. With Crawford and JRod (high ankle spain) both out multiple weeks, I would think they need to decide if they can salvage the season.

If neither do anything... we'll run away with the Division. Neither scare me...
Jimmy McNulty
AG
We have the same level of concerns outside of starting pitching. We've not shown we can run away with jack this year. Let's see when Jung and Carter come back. And if Adolis can pull his head out of his ***
DallasAg 94
I think we have plenty of depth in P and our high leverage options are as good as anyone's making the playoffs. No concerns for me AT ALL with pitching.

Seattle has really good SP depth, but they are young, unproven, and haven't proven to be Elite. Look at their Offense. They are going with 7 +/- guys batting .210 or below. While they have power... is is almost all Solo HRs.

Houston's rotation is a mess. No other way to say it.
Pressley and Hader don't provide confidence to fans.
Water Boy
AG
I expect Houston to go all in. Their window is closing. They had 106 wins in 22, 90 last year, and likely will have less than 90 this season. They have 18 wins vs teams with winning records which ranks last in the mlb. Obviously they still have talent and can make a run in the playoffs but it's clear they have declined overall the past 3 years. It doesn't help when they have some big expiring contracts in the next 2 seasons. I have no clue what route Seattle will go. Their front office is not aggressive. They could have won the division last year and basically did nothing in free agency.
DallasAg 94
Agreed.

Houston probably has less than $10M in flexibility under the CBT next year. They have a terrible farm. This is likely the last year before a rebuild... barring another cheating scandal, of course.

I know Minn is shackled by Bally's... is Seattle, as well?
Water Boy
AG
If it wasn't for hitting the lottery with Blanco they would be sellers. As for the Mariners I don't think they are under Bally. I know their fans have not been happy with the front office.
WestTexasAg
AG
Jimtim1216 said:

WestTexasAg said:

Quote:

It sounds like Jung should begin rehab as early as Thursday or Friday and Carter about a week later. Think they reported during the game last night that Jung could be back by August 1.

DeGrom will throw one more 40-45 pitch bullpen o. Friday and then face batters next week. Which should put rehab starts around Aug. 6, so late August for him.
cmiller00
AG
Prager back and Angels blow 3rd round pick!
First Page Last Page
Page 297 of 357

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.