***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,730,345 Views | 66696 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Hornbeck
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

1876er said:

You only trade Tucker if you're not in contention next July.
So basically, if you don't make a move over the offseason to trade Tucker, you're most likely still doing it in July for much less in return.

This.

Though to be fair, Tucker is useful from April-June. Letting someone else hold the bag in the playoffs may be how you min-max.
dcaggie04
AG
MaxPower said:

1876er said:

Tigers just traded their best pitcher and beat us with a bunch of AAA guys who played their ass off. No one should be untradeable.

It helps when your AAA guys are actually good.
AgLA06
AG
dcaggie04 said:

MaxPower said:

1876er said:

Tigers just traded their best pitcher and beat us with a bunch of AAA guys who played their ass off. No one should be untradeable.

It helps when your AAA guys are actually good.
They're where we were 7 or 8 years ago.
txags92
AG
Beau Holder said:

AgLA06 said:

1876er said:

So basically, if you don't make a move over the offseason to trade Tucker, you're most likely still doing it in July for much less in return.

This.

Though to be fair, Tucker is useful from April-June. Letting someone else hold the bag in the playoffs may be how you min-max.
If you think you still have the bones of a WS-winning caliber lineup to start the season (which I doubt), then yeah hang on to him until it is obvious you don't. I just don't see us replacing Bregman, finding a new 1B, and upgrading at least one of CF/LF during the offseason within Crane's likely budget constraints and still being able to extend the guys we are going to want to extend long-term. So at that point you are playing for one more good year after which you have to rebuild without the young guys you would like to hang on to.

I think we have the pieces now to rebuild long-term even with the state of our farm system, but it starts with that idea that nobody is untouchable except maybe Yordan. If you can get somebody else's top prospect at 3B and a good LF with a few years of team control left, is that enough to let Tucker go a year early? What if you can get them to take Montero too?
Hornbeck
AG
I'm betting Pressly will waive that no trade clause. He is one unhappy camper.
W
AG
that would be nice

don't need another year of Hader-Pressly-Espada drama
MaxPower
Hornbeck said:

He thinks he's better than he is. Always a dangerous player to have on your roster.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ugh
dixichkn
AG
Hornbeck said:

We can only hope
Bobcat-Ag
Call me crazy, but I would not consider Yordan untouchable. He is extremely talented and we have a great contract currently. My concern is the injury history. Does his game age well? Will he be able to play at least half a season going forward? For how long?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade him, these are just the questions I would have as a GM. Then you have to try to project and make a decision. If you can get a great return, I might jump on it and aim to be really competitive in a year or 2.
MaxPower
Bobcat-Ag said:

Call me crazy, but I would not consider Yordan untouchable. He is extremely talented and we have a great contract currently. My concern is the injury history. Does his game age well? Will he be able to play at least half a season going forward? For how long?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade him, these are just the questions I would have as a GM. Then you have to try to project and make a decision. If you can get a great return, I might jump on it and aim to be really competitive in a year or 2.
He should not be untradeable. I'd add to your list of concerns that Altuve sucks defensively and ideally spends half the season as a DH. Given his contract, a mid market team with a great farm like the Orioles should be all over him. After their last two postseason they may be looking to make a push with a proven big league bat. Holliday would be a nice replacement for Bregman…..
Wabs
AG
I wouldn't consider anyone completely untouchable. All depends on what we could get in return.
Furlock Bones
AG
As mentioned, it's been discussed that Yordan is not in great shape and it's possibly contributing to injuries that he gets. I think the Stros need to take a hard look at their medical and training staff along with the batting coach.
KAF
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Tip your hat to KAF, the winner of Astros Bingo 2024 with a remarkable 7 out of 10 correct predictions

His winning Bingo Card follows - Correct answers are in BOLD

Jose Abreu returns
LMJ pitches
Ags make the CWS but don't win
Bregman 30+ RBI by the AS Break
Astros have a 5-game win streak
Ranger fans whine about the original bingo thread
Kessinger gets a hit in 2024
Hader gets more than 15 saves
Hader has a 1-2-3 inning at some point
Aggies beat Notre Dame

Will start taking suggestions for a much bigger and better one when Spring Training comes around next year.

Where can I pick up my trophy?
The Porkchop Express
AG
KAF said:

Tip your hat to KAF, the winner of Astros Bingo 2024 with a remarkable 7 out of 10 correct predictions

Jose Abreu returns
LMJ pitches
Aggies beat Notre Dame

Will start taking suggestions for a much bigger and better one when Spring Training comes around next year.

Autographed picture of me throwing out the first pitch to Scott Servais in 1992.
iamtheglove

Every one who picked a player back in March should definitely pen a wee testimonial on how awesome they were this year.

A tip of the cap to my man who I committed to defending at all costs, Jose Urquidy. I knew the bar would be set high and Jose not only met but exceeded all expectations. Not pitching a single inning was a gift, wrapped in a riddle and appreciated only by those who truly understand the sacrifice of a man willing to not pitch a single inning simply for the good of the team. Urquidy is not just a name but a lifestyle built on false hope and low expectations. Others may mock you by calling you "Urkeeding", but I salute you for that sweet 0.00 era you accomplished in 2024. Thank you sir.
KAF
AG

KAF said:

Jose Abreu returns
LMJ pitches
Aggies beat Notre Dame

Autographed picture of me throwing out the first pitch to Scott Servais in 1992.

What's the second place prize?
MaxPower

So hard to read these guys. They talk about getting creative but also would love Bregman back. Just don't see how you bring Bregman back without dumping one or two other high cost guys. Maybe you can move Pressly but any other option is going to sting.
AustinCountyAg
MaxPower said:

So hard to read these guys. They talk about getting creative but also would love Bregman back. Just don't see how you bring Bregman back without dumping one or two other high cost guys. Maybe you can move Pressly but any other option is going to sting.
They are talking to the fans right now. It isn't like they are going to come out and say the day after losing in the playoffs that we aren't going to resign Bregs.
TarponChaser
FrioAg 00 said:

I hope we go after Kuchi pretty hard.

I'd build around him, HB, Fram, Blanco, and Javier.

I'd make the bigger moves with the bats. Trade Tucker for a good 3B. Move Diaz to 1B.

And for the love of God get rid of Pressly
FIFY
txags92
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

MaxPower said:

They are talking to the fans right now. It isn't like they are going to come out and say the day after losing in the playoffs that we aren't going to resign Bregs.
Agreed, but that pretty clearly sounds like "we are going to bring some guys up (like Whitcomb, Dezenzo, and Mathews) and figure out who can do the best job filling Bregman's shoes."
Red Five
AG
KAF said:

KAF said:

Jose Abreu returns
LMJ pitches
Aggies beat Notre Dame

What's the second place prize?
A set of steak knives.
BCEDAg
AG
Hornbeck said:

Presley made me unhappy too.
Hornbeck
AG
BCEDAg said:

Hornbeck said:

Presley made me unhappy too.

Same.
Faustus
W said:

so Hader + Pressly = $33 MM for 2025

woof

They combined to give up more runs in one inning than the Astros scored in the series. That's not a fun stat.
cc10106
Not for our offense either considering they did jack crap for most of 2 games yet still somehow scored more than Baltimore did in their series at home.
BadAggie
AG
Pressly being an emo bttch **** this year was no small factor this season
MaxPower
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/orioles-trade-proposal-swaps-jackson-holiday-for-50-million-outfielder/ar-AA1rF1Xj

Why is this relevant to us? Well I'd rather have Yordan than Robert if I'm the O's. Think you can get Holliday and another piece or two.
Sher Thing
AG
Bring Bregman back if it's reasonable which it should be. Worry about Tucker later. What is Tuck in the playoffs like 6 for his last 50 or something. I love Tuck but I'm not sure throwing $300m his way is the smart play here.
Wabs
AG
Sher Thing said:

Bring Bregman back if it's reasonable which it should be. Worry about Tucker later. What is Tuck in the playoffs like 6 for his last 50 or something. I love Tuck but I'm not sure throwing $300m his way is the smart play here.
What would see as reasonable for Bregman?
Texaggie7nine

Surely Strommy retires now.
7nine
Marvin
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Surely Strommy retires now.

Chop, chop, Astros.

(tapping foot and pointing at watch...)
Heineken-Ashi
Bobcat-Ag said:

Do you know how hard it is to get a player of Yordan's caliber? Some teams haven't had it in decades. And we have him locked up. Yes, he is absolutely untouchable unless we are committing to a full blown rebuild RIGHT NOW. Because there is still time to build up around him before he leaves his prime and his contract is up. But if we're going to re-sign Bregman and Tucker, go ahead and pencil in this past year's lineup as the best we will have seen between 2024 and 2029. You're not upgrading any other positions barring an Altuve type minor league star emerging out of nowhere. It will be your core, aging group, and a rotating batch of Meyers, McCormick, Gamel, Dubon, Singleton, Heyward types. And this front office isn't out there turning over every rock in every team's system to uncover diamonds in the rough. We're picking up the Cabbages of the world now.

If Yordan is getting traded, you better get the mother of all packages in return, and not a single player below top 10 within a top 10 farm system. No current players. No journeymen. No throw ins. 3-5 top of the line prospects. Maybe one of them can be a Yordan type that is multiple years away and high risk high reward. And if you are going to do that, you better also trade EVERYTHING. Because without Yordan, this team isn't a playoff team and certainly not a world series contender. I'd be only be ok trading Yordan if we did trade everything to expedite an extremely quick rebuild where we could be competing again in 3 years.

We should be letting Bregman go suck for half a season somewhere else. We should be shopping Tucker and Framber for packages of promising, highly talented minor league bats that can be ready within a year or two. We shouldn't be acquiring any more FA stop gaps who will coast under big contracts. We need to spend the next 1-2 years stacking the farm and trying to stay in the playoff hunt without giving anything away. Line it all up for 2026-2028 world series runs. And hopefully you get in a draft and player development groove so there's a pipeline of guys who can step in after that and we are right back to where we SHOULD be right now.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Their season ended 2 days sooner so surely we should know by Monday
Wabs
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

Do you know how hard it is to get a player of Yordan's caliber? Some teams haven't had it in decades. And we have him locked up. Yes, he is absolutely untouchable unless we are committing to a full blown rebuild RIGHT NOW. Because there is still time to build up around him before he leaves his prime and his contract is up. But if we're going to re-sign Bregman and Tucker, go ahead and pencil in this past year's lineup as the best we will have seen between 2024 and 2029. You're not upgrading any other positions barring an Altuve type minor league star emerging out of nowhere. It will be your core, aging group, and a rotating batch of Meyers, McCormick, Gamel, Dubon, Singleton, Heyward types. And this front office isn't out there turning over every rock in every team's system to uncover diamonds in the rough. We're picking up the Cabbages of the world now.

If Yordan is getting traded, you better get the mother of all packages in return, and not a single player below top 10 within a top 10 farm system. No current players. No journeymen. No throw ins. 3-5 top of the line prospects. Maybe one of them can be a Yordan type that is multiple years away and high risk high reward. And if you are going to do that, you better also trade EVERYTHING. Because without Yordan, this team isn't a playoff team and certainly not a world series contender. I'd be only be ok trading Yordan if we did trade everything to expedite an extremely quick rebuild where we could be competing again in 3 years.

We should be letting Bregman go suck for half a season somewhere else. We should be shopping Tucker and Framber for packages of promising, highly talented minor league bats that can be ready within a year or two. We shouldn't be acquiring any more FA stop gaps who will coast under big contracts. We need to spend the next 1-2 years stacking the farm and trying to stay in the playoff hunt without giving anything away. Line it all up for 2026-2028 world series runs. And hopefully you get in a draft and player development groove so there's a pipeline of guys who can step in after that and we are right back to where we SHOULD be right now.
This is what I'd like to see in regard to Tucker and Framber. I'd also shop Pena to see if there is interest and what we could get.

If a team is willing to give us 3-5 top line prospects for Yordan, then I'm going to listen. I agree with you that these players need to be MLB ready within a year or two. We need an injection of young, hungry players. We need to think more in terms of 2026 and beyond more so than 2025. Just my opinion.
First Page Last Page
Page 1902 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.