***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,728,705 Views | 66689 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by tjack16
BCEDAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My biggest hope for the offseason is that Cintron gets fired. Watching other teams go opposite field with their approach was frustrating. Watching our hitters trying to pull outside pitches and not trying to go opposite field was extremely frustrating.
Wabs
AG
cc10106
Any word on France's projected return?
Heineken-Ashi
MaxPower said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Breggy already better than Cole

We have some high expectations….In all seriousness, I'm not so certain he isn't back. I can't think of any obvious suitors for him. I'm not saying he is Pennie's on the dollars but there's a world where he signs for 5 years, $125M ish and we are that huckleberry. Suarez reemerging was probably the best thing that could have happened for us.

Down the stretch really made me think we have two DH….Altuve and Yordan. Yordan were an ok OF but you just can't risk losing his bat and he's already seemingly duct taped together. Altuve is just a butcher at 2B and given his age it's likely to get worse. I don't know how you fix having your two best (at least best signed for multiple years) players being bat only "position" players. I'd still like to see Altuve at least give LF a try. His sprint speed is still solid and his stone hands can be covered up a bit in an OF spot but his arm is an issue anywhere. 2B is simply a more important defensive position than LF.
Cue up the Altuve to CF move. Biggio pt2
Ags #1
AG
Queue the I don't believe you gif
Chef Elko
AG
davidthomps18 said:

I think Schwarber ends up with this record eventually fwiw
He will need to stop bunting
gambochaman
AG
Wabs said:

So

They arent pitching til 2029
jja79
AG
I believe both Christian Walker and Josh Bell from the DBacks are free agents. Walker is not only a good hitter but an excellent first baseman.
txags92
AG
gambochaman said:

Wabs said:

So

They arent pitching til 2029
They are on the LMJ recovery program.
Johnsy3
AG
tjack16 said:

So my optimal 2025 lineup assuming we don't resign Bregman

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
5. Offseason acquisition - LF (go get Profar)
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

I'd like for them to go get a bat for the corner outfield.
Jurickson Profar is top of my list followed by Ozuna, Santander, Bellinger or Hoskins
Wabs
AG
BCEDAg said:

My biggest hope for the offseason is that Cintron gets fired. Watching other teams go opposite field with their approach was frustrating. Watching our hitters trying to pull outside pitches and not trying to go opposite field was extremely frustrating.
And if we plan to keep Pena (likely), then please get someone that can fix his *****
Ag_07
AG
I may be mistaken but hasn't 2015 said Walker will be a top target for us in free agency?
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF Offseason acquisition
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
5. Offseason acquisition - LF
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF Offseason acquisition in place of one of them.
9. Pena - SS Offseason acquisition

Jurickson Profar is top of my list followed by Ozuna, Santander, Bellinger or Hoskins
Tucker is a great player, but I feel betting on Pena, Jake, Chas to be in your order 2-3 places isn't worth signing him to max long term deal. It would be more like the early 2000 astros with all the money tied up in the killer Bs for nestalgia instead of trying to retool to continue the run.

Resigning Altuve makes him and Yordan the faces of this franchise regarding position players. Diaz could grow into that as well.

I think you can move Tucker for a couple of good pieces and sign 3-5 above average free agents instead for mid term contracts that would have a bigger impact overall long term. $300MM over 9 years is a lot of money and can really handcuff a team.

I'm not opposed to a pitching arm, but I feel pitching isn't our issue and we might be in a situation where we have too many guys for the available spots.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Cintron needs to go.

A good salesman needs to get LMJ moved.

Bring back Neris on the cheap, but move Montero.

Move Chaz and Jake at this point.

I'd take CW at 1st and I'm good with a sensible offer to Breggy, but not something that needs to be forced and overdone.

Too many things needed
txags92
AG
Instead of trying to make a big splash FA signing at 1B and/or 3B, I would love to see us looking for trades with teams with top 1B/3B prospects that are stuck at AAA because they are already set for those positions at the MLB level. I don't know who those prospects/teams would be, but they have to be out there and I bet Dana has a list. The Kikuchi deal value suggests that a good starting pitcher with 1 or more years of team control left should be worth several good AAA+ level prospects. We gave up 3 decent to good prospects for 2 months of SP in the Kikuchi deal.
txags92
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Cintron needs to go.

I'd take CW at 1st and I'm good with a sensible offer to Breggy, but not something that needs to be forced and overdone.

Too many things needed
Yes please to firing Cintron. Not sold on signing Neris to anything long term. If Bregman will do a 3 year deal for reasonable but < Altuve money, sign him. If he wants longer than 3 years that would be a no from me.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

Your optimal lineup is kind of stinky. This is what we are aiming for? That might also be the worst defensive right side of the IF in MLB.

I say all that but I don't have any great solutions. If you are keeping Tucker and Framber for one more year just to let them walk then this team is heading toward a run of sub .500 seasons.
Ihatefallscounty
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Cintron needs to go.

Too many things needed
You are delulu

No ones going to take an injured LMJ and noones going to take Montero until we bring him up and prove he can still throw.

Jake is not terrible, but idk who would take him or who we would get. Chaz is the same.

Bregs gone, tbh not sure that's a bad thing. If he can't throw to first, we have too many DH's

Crane doesn't like to spend money, he will but he won't go nuts.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

tjack16 said:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

You're optimal lineup is kind of stinky. This is what we are aiming for? That might also be the worst defensive right side of the IF in MLB.

I say all that but I don't have any great solutions. If you are keeping Tucker and Framber for one more year just to let them walk then this team is heading toward a run at f sub .500 seasons.

That's my realistic optimal lineup knowing this front office and their tendencies since Lunhow left

If it was all up to me, I'd sign Juan Soto to the big deal and put him in left
MaxPower
It's hard to even speculate what we might do not knowing the budget. Is Crane willing to carry a top 3 payroll again? The penalties for repeat offenders gets worse. I give him kudos for going into that territory even once but I can't blame him if he tries to cut cost. You could get a boatload of prospects and save $30+M moving Tucker and Framber. It may seem odd but I'd rather resign Kooch and trade Framber than keep Framber and let Kooch walk, mainly because you can get a lot for Framber and get nothing for losing Kooch.
W
AG
Dana said it -- the Astros have to try to upgrade at many positions

running it back with Jake, Chas, Pena, Dubon, and Big Jon won't work

that's too many below average hitters
txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

MaxPower said:

tjack16 said:

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

You're optimal lineup is kind of stinky. This is what we are aiming for? That might also be the worst defensive right side of the IF in MLB.

I say all that but I don't have any great solutions. If you are keeping Tucker and Framber for one more year just to let them walk then this team is heading toward a run at f sub .500 seasons.

That's my realistic optimal lineup knowing this front office and their tendencies since Lunhow left

If it was all up to me, I'd sign Juan Soto to the big deal and put him in left
With so many holes in the lineup, blowing your offseason budget on one guy would be very foolish. I would much rather see Crane give Dana permission to get his Luhnow on and go find everybody's top prospects at our positions of need and spend our money extending the guys we want to keep.
Kashchei
AG
Nvm
W
AG
by the way...

Jake posted .526 OPS after the all-star break with a mind-numbing 12 GiDP's

for the season .646 OPS and OPS+ of 85 with 17 GiDP's

that equals terrible
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
Anybody think 3 years $100M would keep Breggy here?
W
AG
what happened to the mutual option?

paying Pressly $14 MM in 2025 is not part of the plan to upgrade the roster at numerous positions
Project Gemini
AG
I don't think it was ever a thing. It's always been a vesting option.
07ag
AG
W said:

what happened to the mutual option?

paying Pressly $14 MM in 2025 is not part of the plan to upgrade the roster at numerous positions
would guess that the mutual option with a buyout converts to guaranteed when it vested
https://ts.la/eric59704
W
AG
so Hader + Pressly = $33 MM for 2025

woof
1876er
AG
You only trade Tucker if you're not in contention next July.
jja79
AG
The Tigers entire payroll is $19MM.
MaxPower
1876er said:

Tigers just traded their best pitcher and beat us with a bunch of AAA guys who played their ass off. No one should be untradeable.
AgLA06
AG
1876er said:

So basically, if you don't make a move over the offseason to trade Tucker, you're most likely still doing it in July for much less in return.
AgLA06
AG
MaxPower said:

1876er said:

Tigers just traded their best pitcher and beat us with a bunch of AAA guys who played their ass off. No one should be untradeable.
The likely Cy Young winner still on their roster might disagree, but I get the gist.
First Page Last Page
Page 1901 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.