***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,729,601 Views | 66696 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Hornbeck
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The Porkchop Express said:

cone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

this might be the dumbest thing said in this thread
No Houstonian hates Houston more than Furlock.
good lord. it's like yall cannot step back and evaluate anything objectively. it's not just whoa we made 7 straight ALCSs. The Braves made 8 straight NLCS and won 1 WS. That is considered a failure as well.

But, yes I hate Houston. That's what it is.
The body of your posts across multiple boards are largely complaining about things. It's a pretty discernible pattern.

Calling "only" 2 World Series titles in 9 years a failure isn't about hating Houston, it's about being the most ignorant fan on this board.
Furlock Bones
AG
davidthomps18 said:

I think Schwarber ends up with this record eventually fwiw
If he stays healthy, that's probably true. Given his post season track record if the Phillies fell off next year or the year after, someone is going to trade for him to hit dingers in the post season. But, still I want Altuve up there even if it is short lived.
Furlock Bones
AG

Furlock Bones said:

cone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

this might be the dumbest thing said in this thread
No Houstonian hates Houston more than Furlock.
good lord. it's like yall cannot step back and evaluate anything objectively. it's not just whoa we made 7 straight ALCSs. The Braves made 8 straight NLCS and won 1 WS. That is considered a failure as well.

But, yes I hate Houston. That's what it is.
The body of your posts across multiple boards are largely complaining about things. It's a pretty discernible pattern.

Calling "only" 2 World Series titles in 9 years a failure isn't about hating Houston, it's about being the most ignorant fan on this board.
Ok, now I know you're an idiot.
Ags #1
AG
Agreed. Want to contend for Alcs titles or be bad. Just barely good enough is purgatory in all sports. Maybe it is just best to hold on to everyone for one more run then start the rebuild?
W
AG
Dana really has to work on improving the batting lineup in the offseason

the Astros got 153 games played from Altuve -- his most since 2017

and 147 games played from Yordan -- a new career high

would not count on getting that many games from either in 2025
Wabs
AG
Ags #1 said:

Agreed. Want to contend for Alcs titles or be bad. Just barely good enough is purgatory in all sports. Maybe it is just best to hold on to everyone for one more run then start the rebuild?
I would prefer using some of the pieces we have now to start the "rebuild". Use pieces like Tucker, Framber, potentially Pena, to get some good, young talent in here. Hanging around in "just good enough" purgatory as you say would not be fun and would probably mean more frustrating seasons like we just had.
Project Gemini
AG
It is not the outcome we all wanted. A lot of people seem to have really disliked watching this year's team and I guess I get that. We struggled early and most of this thread wrote the team off. I enjoyed watching the guys work to dig themselves out of a hole. It was not easy and they didn't give up. Given all the injuries, Abreu/Montero/LMJ situations, the constant up/downs of guys, and waiver wire shenanigans I'm shocked we even watched postseason ball from this team. Kudos to Dana for grabbing some guys that helped out; he missed on a few as well but to be expected.

HB really turned into a man this year. He got the **** kicked out of him early in the year and had a truly horrible run that could have broken him. What a turnaround. We knew he had great stuff and just needed to put it together, but to do it after that start he had makes it even more special.

Can't say enough about Ronel Blanco stepping up either. What a year for a first year starter. 167 innings of 2.80 ERA baseball....get the **** out!

There are a lot of other things to be hopeful for. Spencer showed us some great flashes. Caratini was an amazing addition. We came a long way from having to watch Blair Henley get trotted out to start a game early in the year. Its a sport guys, try to enjoy having had another year of playoff baseball to watch in the golden era of Astros baseball.
Johnsy3
AG
Forget the Bregman/Tucker/Framber talk, I just want to hear these 3 things:

Hitting coaches gone
Analytics guys hired
An mandate to remove Ted Cruz from MMP if he gets within a 2 mile radius (and Kyle Field while we're at it)
cc10106

Every one who picked a player back in March should definitely pen a wee testimonial on how awesome they were this year.
My man Victor Caratini!

There were only 3 guys left when I picked you, and I spend the first 3 weeks of the season having to look up your name because I could never remember who you were.

You didn't play that much right way, but suddenly there you were pummeling the candy ass Rangers with a 3 run bomb in early April and you started getting more and more looks.

That led to the moment where you put you stamped your name as a BAMF - the walkoff home to beat Cleveland 10-9 in a 10-inning game. YES! we won a game in extras!

The fact that you only played 87 games is kind of ****ty, but the team had to make sure Jose Abreu was officially just a reanimated corpse for 60 games before they gave you a shot at first. You hit .269 for the year, a number Martin Maldonado does not believe actually exists.

You were one heck of a pinch hitter and finished with a .744 OPS, see you in '25!

Such a great signing, and I hope he plays a lot more in 2025. We need more players like Vic.

Also, props for spelling his last name correctly. I've seen "Carantini" so many times in this thread.
cc10106
Tucker is such a beast in the regular season. I know we managed fine without him for 3 months, but we don't win the West in 2023 without him either.

Dana has his work cut out for him.
CFTXAG10
AG
I don't know how theyd pull it off $ wise but whats the boards general thoughts on Pete Alonso as an option at first base?

cc10106
I'd rather have Christian Walker.
Wabs
AG
I think he'd be an overspend honestly. I'd rather focus on OF and bullpen and go with Singleton/Diaz/Caratini rotation at 1B for next year.
Furlock Bones
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Forget the Bregman/Tucker/Framber talk, I just want to hear these 3 things:

Hitting coaches gone
Analytics guys hired
An mandate to remove Ted Cruz from MMP if he gets within a 2 mile radius (and Kyle Field while we're at it)
Dude is the biggest Texas sports jinx ever.
Furlock Bones
AG
Wabs said:

I think he'd be an overspend honestly. I'd rather focus on OF and bullpen and go with Singleton/Diaz/Caratini rotation at 1B for next year.
what? you want your centerfielder to hit better than 210-230?
iBrad
AG
To be honest, I'm okay with Diaz, Caratini, and Big Jon sharing the load at first base and using the money elsewhere. Then you address first base the next year when Abreu and Montero come off the books. With all of the dead salary we have, we're going to have to be somewhat creative.
W
AG
so after the wildcard series...Tucker's postseason OPS is .685

same as Bagwell's
Wabs
AG
Yes, that would be my preference.
AgSportsFan89
AG
It's fitting that the way the season started, the season ended. With our supposed awesome back of the bullpen blowing it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Tip your hat to KAF, the winner of Astros Bingo 2024 with a remarkable 7 out of 10 correct predictions

His winning Bingo Card follows - Correct answers are in BOLD

Jose Abreu returns
LMJ pitches
Ags make the CWS but don't win
Bregman 30+ RBI by the AS Break
Astros have a 5-game win streak
Ranger fans whine about the original bingo thread
Kessinger gets a hit in 2024
Hader gets more than 15 saves
Hader has a 1-2-3 inning at some point
Aggies beat Notre Dame

Will start taking suggestions for a much bigger and better one when Spring Training comes around next year.

W
AG
especially since the Tigers used 7 different relievers to win the game

and all of them basically no-name guys
tjack16
AG
So my optimal 2025 lineup assuming we don't resign Bregman

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
5. Offseason acquisition - LF (go get Profar)
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

I'd like for them to go get a bat for the corner outfield.
Jurickson Profar is top of my list followed by Ozuna, Santander, Bellinger or Hoskins
Wabs
AG
I can't go another season with Meyers/Chas in CF. Just can't do it.
tjack16
AG
I can't either but I'd rather they go all in on a Profar or Ozuna.
Furlock Bones
AG
Wabs said:

i'm ok if Chas is our backup even if he had a statistically worse season than Meyers. But, you can't have both of these guys.
Wabs
AG
I (maybe) would keep one of them as a backup, but we need much better in that position. Dubon is an ok backup option in CF as well.
Furlock Bones
AG
tjack16 said:

So my optimal 2025 lineup assuming we don't resign Bregman

1. Altuve - 2B
2. Tucker - RF
3. Alvarez - DH
4. Diaz - 1B
5. Offseason acquisition - LF (go get Profar)
6. Caratini - C
7. Dezenzo - 3B
8. Meyers/McCormick CF
9. Pena - SS

I'd like for them to go get a bat for the corner outfield.
Jurickson Profar is top of my list followed by Ozuna, Santander, Bellinger or Hoskins
i do not want to root for Bellinger.
agproducer
AG
tjack16 said:

I can't either but I'd rather they go all in on a Profar or Ozuna.
I think Tyler O'Neill can be gotten for relatively cheap. I'm not sold on Profar. He's been an average player most of his career. He's having a career year at the plate.

I don't want Ozuna and his baggage. See Osuna.
iBrad
AG
Wabs said:

You do realize that we aren't going to have a lineup full of .700+ OPS guys, right? I think what you have to try to avoid is having two of Dubon, McCormick, Meyers in the lineup on a regular basis.
tjack16
AG
True… but odds are if they don't add a starting outfield bat then you're going to have multiple of the Meyers/chas/dubon in everyday because Yordan can't play everyday left field
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wabs said:

We could always resign Myles Straw.
iBrad
AG
I think we have to pursue an outfielder. If we're rotating Diaz at first base, that frees up DH for Yordan and keeps him out of left field, aside from the occasional start to slide someone else into DH for a game. If we can land an everyday starter, then you can figure out the rest, which probably doesn't involve keeping both Chas and Jake. Do we need two lefty throwing, right hand hitting center fielders?
Wabs
AG
You can avoid this problem by getting a strong CFer. The "weaker" OFer (Chas/Dubon/Meyers type) can spot start in LF when Yordan DHs. We simply do not need to keep BOTH Meyers and Chas. Keep Dubon because he can basically play anywhere.
Wabs
AG

Wabs said:

We could always resign Myles Straw.
And bring back Brother Phil Maton!
KTAG05
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 1900 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.