***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,730,272 Views | 66696 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Hornbeck
Langley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags #1 said:

Good news is we only have 4 more years of hader

As a padres fan, sorry
W
AG
I expect H.B. to get an extension

a la Javier
W
AG
bullard21k said:

With the sheer amount of arms we will have next year any possibility of making an offseason trade for a stick?

Framber
Javier
Garcia
Arrengetti
Blanco
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ (lol)
it feels like it may be time for a bold move
W
AG
I would resign Ben Gamel

he should be cheap

1 year $3 MM or so

left-handed part-time outfielder that draws walks
FrioAg 00
AG
I hope we go after Kuchi pretty hard.

I'd build around him, HB, Fram and Javier.

I'd make the bigger moves with the bats. Trade Tucker for a good 3B. Move Diaz to 1B.

And for the love of God get rid of Pressly
AggiEE
FrioAg 00 said:

I hope we go after Kuchi pretty hard.

I'd build around him, HB, Fram and Javier.

I'd make the bigger moves with the bats. Trade Tucker for a good 3B. Move Diaz to 1B.

And for the love of God get rid of Pressly

Yeah as much as you hate to see Tucker go, if he's not willing to extend this offseason then I think you need to aggressively shop him around and get multiple guys that can provide our team more value than a single player will even if they aren't nearly as talented individually.

We just don't really have very many other realistic opportunities to try and improve our team. We miraculously managed to make our big comeback without Tucker anyways.
dixichkn
AG
Kashchei said:

Maybe the Yankees can finally win a pennant this year
W
AG
Royals vs. Yankees in the playoffs...

that's a throwback to the 1970's
gambochaman
AG
Off days….
dixichkn
AG
gambochaman said:

Yep sad its over but for some reason I am not as upset this season as i was in the last few years when we didnt win the WS

It almost felt like we were playing with house money, the way this season started
This. I'm not even that upset. We looked like a 100 loss team for the first 6 weeks. That we even made the postseason is a minor miracle……..ok maybe more a statement that this division sucks donkey balls, but still.
75AG
AG
Surely it's the latter. The AL West is the only division we could have won with this year's record. But still got us a WC spot.
Booma94
AG
I don't know about that. If in the AL Central and you got to play the White Sox as a division opponent it probably would have padded the season record with a few more wins.
75AG
AG
Good point. But those other teams were pretty salty this year.
dixichkn
AG
tjack16 said:

cone said:

I went to two parades

that's a pretty good ****ing run, man

why are ags programmed to be miserable

I had to miss both parades. Always said I'd go to the next one

My only regret from this run. Also not ponying up the $235 for a SRO ticket to 2017 WS G5

Just couldn't justify the cost given I was a few weeks into my first adult job out of college and paying off a lot of student loan debt and I had just went to 2 ALCS games. Shoulda bought the WS ticket
I paid right at a grand for that '22 WS game 6 ticket. Man it hurt to hit that "buy" button. But it's the best grand I ever spent. Hands down.
agproducer
AG
dixichkn said:

tjack16 said:

cone said:

I went to two parades

that's a pretty good ****ing run, man

why are ags programmed to be miserable

I had to miss both parades. Always said I'd go to the next one

My only regret from this run. Also not ponying up the $235 for a SRO ticket to 2017 WS G5

Just couldn't justify the cost given I was a few weeks into my first adult job out of college and paying off a lot of student loan debt and I had just went to 2 ALCS games. Shoulda bought the WS ticket
I paid right at a grand for that '22 WS game 6 ticket. Man it hurt to hit that "buy" button. But it's the best grand I ever spent. Hands down.

I paid $550 for a bleeder in 2017 for Game 5 of the WS. I hemmed and hawed about spending that kind of cash on myself, especially with a little one at home. It turned out to be the best sports experience of my life and was totally worth it.

I've also spent hundreds of dollars going to WS games where the Astros have lost.

The point is: as I've gotten older, I've realized that the money will eventually come back, but the experience will be gone. It's better to regret spending the money than it is to regret missing the experience.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

bullard21k said:

With the sheer amount of arms we will have next year any possibility of making an offseason trade for a stick?

Framber
Javier
Garcia
Arrengetti
Blanco
Brown
France
Urquidy
LMJ (lol)

I might be stoned by the mob for even suggesting considering how he balled out today, but HB's stock may never be higher than it will be this offseason...

Just a suggestion...
Can probably pull a couple up and comers with HB.
rosco511
AG
If we want to try to maximize window, I would flip both Tucker and Framber this offseason.
Wabs
AG
rosco511 said:

If we want to try to maximize window, I would flip both Tucker and Framber this offseason.
Yep, and I'd shop around Pena as well.
Chef Elko
AG
Wabs said:

rosco511 said:

This is a huge decision Crane will have to make. Basically all in for one more year or reload with some almost ready talent you can gamble on. The return starters got at the trade deadline was insane and we gave up some MLB ready guys. Maybe they pan out, maybe they don't, but that's all part of the gamble.
1876er
AG
You guys that want to blow up the team are like the Rockets fans that wanted to get rid of Dantoni and Harden. Those guys may not have been perfect, but they had us in contention every year. Then when they got their wish, the Rockets were the worst team in the league.
AustinCountyAg
AggiEE said:

Wabs said:

AggieJ2002 said:

Relievers are known to be really variable year to year and after a longer off-season, I choose to believe these guys are going to come back dealing on the back end of the bullpen next year.

We didn't lose because of Espada, but I am not sold on his in-game decision making after year 1. I hope that is another area we improve with more experience next year.

Agree for the most part, but not when it comes to Pressly. I think he's washed and hope to not see him pitch again for the Astros. My liver agrees with me.

Yeah, Pressly's performance in Houston is nothing short of incredible. Very fortunate to have had him. But this year? His stuff was just plain hittable. He had no swing and miss. Always had traffic.

I just think he's regressed unfortunately and there's no getting the old Pressly back...

What's unfortunate is that Crane has decided to place all his eggs on the Montero and Hader basket. Hader was a massive overpay. People can point to his saves all they want this season, but he too does not have as much "swing and miss" stuff as you would expect from the highest paid reliever in baseball. Hader is extremely hittable. Poor movement on his stuff, throws nothing but gas that's either straight down the middle or obviously outside for a ball with hardly any perfectly placed pitches. He just doesn't have the finesse of a truly amazing reliever like we experienced with Pressly during most of his tenure here.

Hader had a 3.8 ERA for a "Closer" that only has to pitch one inning in 2024. That is downright awful. There's no ifs-ands-or-butts about it even though we've had plenty of people defend him throughout the year. He's a massive overpay and makes more than the vast majority of the Tiger's prized bullpen combined. Jim Crane's flaw is overpaying for a guy while not paying for multiple guys that are "good enough".

I'd rather have Team Chaos where you can bring in guys situationally and tactically rather than rely on a single closer in a robotic fashion simply because of the back of their baseball card or how much they're getting paid or any such absolute nonsense. That may require too much IQ for our current manager to deal with, however....
Hader ranks in the 99% in xBA and K%. 100% in Whiff%....I'd say he has pretty good swing and miss stuff. "extremely hittable" is laughable. Is he overpayed? Sure, one could argue that. But to try and put him and Pressley in the same conversation as having the "finesse of a truly amazing reliever" isn't worth comparing. They attack hitters with two complete different styles of pitching.

Jim's flaw of overpaying people? Besides Montero who else has he overpaid for? You could say Abreu, but at the time 99% of the people thought that was a great signing, it just didn't work out. He's let the biggest FA's in this recent run all walk. JV, Correa, Springer, Cole. Soon to add Bregman and Tucker next year as well possibly.
Chef Elko
AG
At least you didn't spend $1200 on game 4. My old boss laughed at me when I asked to go to the parade, they weren't paying me **** and a few hours wouldn't have mattered.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Every one who picked a player back in March should definitely pen a wee testimonial on how awesome they were this year.
My man Victor Caratini!

There were only 3 guys left when I picked you, and I spend the first 3 weeks of the season having to look up your name because I could never remember who you were.

You didn't play that much right way, but suddenly there you were pummeling the candy ass Rangers with a 3 run bomb in early April and you started getting more and more looks.

That led to the moment where you put you stamped your name as a BAMF - the walkoff home to beat Cleveland 10-9 in a 10-inning game. YES! we won a game in extras!

The fact that you only played 87 games is kind of ****ty, but the team had to make sure Jose Abreu was officially just a reanimated corpse for 60 games before they gave you a shot at first. You hit .269 for the year, a number Martin Maldonado does not believe actually exists.

You were one heck of a pinch hitter and finished with a .744 OPS, see you in '25!

AustinCountyAg
Wabs said:

rosco511 said:

why? He's under team control and he's cheap as well as being pretty good all things considered.
Furlock Bones
AG

cone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

this might be the dumbest thing said in this thread
No Houstonian hates Houston more than Furlock.
good lord. it's like yall cannot step back and evaluate anything objectively. it's not just whoa we made 7 straight ALCSs. The Braves made 8 straight NLCS and won 1 WS. That is considered a failure as well.

But, yes I hate Houston. That's what it is.
BoxingAg84
Furlock Bones
AG
John and Lance were going over the Astros rosters commitments. I believe they said, $42mm in dead money between Montero, Abreu, and Zach ****ing Greinke.

Tucker is a problem. Most years you don't win the division with him sitting out for 3 months. But, he's been a hole in the playoffs. Going to want monster money which I don't think he is worth.

What are you going to get in a trade? This team needs bats already.
Ag_07
AG
Furlock Bones said:

cone said:

Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.

this might be the dumbest thing said in this thread
No Houstonian hates Houston more than Furlock.
good lord. it's like yall cannot step back and evaluate anything objectively. it's not just whoa we made 7 straight ALCSs. The Braves made 8 straight NLCS and won 1 WS. That is considered a failure as well.

But, yes I hate Houston. That's what it is.

No...Not it's not
Boiling Denim
Morning after feels:

This is the least surprised/upset I've been after an elimination since the run started. Every other playoff run I felt we were the better team and should have won but this team showed just enough suck at the beginning of the year that it was always in the back of my mind it would resurface and sure enough..

For my own personal selfish enjoyment I can't watch another season with Cintron/Snitker. No grand slams, no last inning comebacks, bullpen games, rookie pitchers, home struggles all these trends that haven't changed over the years but need to and this is where I would start

I have a feeling the club is going to cross their fingers and send a prayer to Pete Rose that Chas turns it around this offseason. It's the cheapest and easiest solution to a massive hole in our lineup
Furlock Bones
AG
LOL. ask Braves fans that lived it.
Ags #1
AG
I think There are two lines of thinking. Go all in for one more year with pretty much no position players in the minors to help when the guys walk OR trade assets for guys who can help in a few years, maybe sooner. Just a question of which one you want. If you don't care about going back towards the 2012-24 or the 2006-2008 years then the answer is go all in. Don't trade anyone and go further Into the luxury tax to win. If you are playing the long game you at least shop those guys around to see what available. If the farm wasn't so bare it would be a pretty easy decision. Shay and Zach look serviceable but we don't have any Correa, pena, springer etc down there. Who knows maybe Dana can build it back up quickly
Furlock Bones
AG
I want Altuve to get the post season HR record. Every year makes that more difficult. I know he personally probably doesn't care much. But, it would be a nice big F U to the rest of MLB to see Lil Gigante stand atop.
davidthomps18
I think Schwarber ends up with this record eventually fwiw
Marvin
AG
Ags #1 said:

I think There are two lines of thinking. Go all in for one more year with pretty much no position players in the minors to help when the guys walk OR trade assets for guys who can help in a few years, maybe sooner. Just a question of which one you want. If you don't care about going back towards the 2012-24 or the 2006-2008 years then the answer is go all in. Don't trade anyone and go further Into the luxury tax to win. If you are playing the long game you at least shop those guys around to see what available. If the farm wasn't so bare it would be a pretty easy decision. Shay and Zach look serviceable but we don't have any Correa, pena, springer etc down there. Who knows maybe Dana can build it back up quickly

I'm good either way. And while I don't want to be the White Sox in three years, I would hate to slip into a 74-82 range of wins for an extended number of years. That's just the worst, even if it's also the most common trajectory.
gambochaman
AG
Winning a WS is freaking hard man….there have been lots of incredible teams that never even got to play IN a ws, much less win one
How many teams have won a ws, only to suck the next year? Yet this team has been in the thick of it for a whole
Damn decade
Playing in 4 and winning 2 is a huge accomplishment and
Most definitely NOT a failure
First Page Last Page
Page 1899 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.