***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,622,155 Views | 65033 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by BadAggie
Honolulu Blue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As you likely know, Carp missed most of this year with a lumber stress fracture. So can't be that many at bats. And I have hardly seen him be given a chance against LHP since his return in the prior weeks.

But agreed. That split is terrrrrrible
Farmer1906
AG
I take back my statement. He's like a better and more likable Joc Pederson, not Tucker.

Career splits aren't good either. 69 wRC+ vs 148 wRC+.

But I am still a fan of his.
Honolulu Blue
Not too flood this thread too much. But other insight into the tigers.

Since their run began August 11, they have about a 2.7 team era (would had been 2.61 but we pitched Kenta Maeda in a giveaway game on Sunday, apparently not too invested in seed I guess???)

Their offense improved from abysmal to average (don't quote me, but wRC+ around 100 during this run).
Honolulu Blue
Thanks! Didn't know his career splits that bad. Ironically he is one of our oldest position players so has some longer term stats to back it up
gambochaman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

I dont think we are weakness free, but I guess we dont have a single position that is an absolute liability. Defensively we sre very solid all around

But i would say that on offense 1B and CF are areas of weakness
Vs RHP
Singleton - 124 wRC+
Caratini - 107 wRC+

Vs LHP
Diaz - 127 wRC+
Caratini - 136 wRC+

Between the backup catcher and Singleton, we have one hell of an offensive 1B position. Since Aug 1 we've had 122 wRC+ out of 1B.

great point there, I stand corrected
Farmer1906
AG
gambochaman said:

Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

I dont think we are weakness free, but I guess we dont have a single position that is an absolute liability. Defensively we sre very solid all around

Vs RHP
Singleton - 124 wRC+
Caratini - 107 wRC+

Vs LHP
Diaz - 127 wRC+
Caratini - 136 wRC+

Between the backup catcher and Singleton, we have one hell of an offensive 1B position. Since Aug 1 we've had 122 wRC+ out of 1B.

Notice I didn't address CF. We're great defensively. Jake went from hitting the ball well and getting hits. Hitting the ball well and getting out. To not hitting well at all and getting out.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

Vs RHP
Singleton - 124 wRC+
Caratini - 107 wRC+

Vs LHP
Diaz - 127 wRC+
Caratini - 136 wRC+

Notice I didn't address CF. We're great defensively. Jake went from hitting the ball well and getting hits. Hitting the ball well and getting out. To not hitting well at all and getting out.
Sparky said on the radio this morning he thinks Meyers will start CF, and that if he were him, these next couple of days he'd work on bunting.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

Farmer1906 said:

gambochaman said:

Vs RHP
Singleton - 124 wRC+
Caratini - 107 wRC+

Vs LHP
Diaz - 127 wRC+
Caratini - 136 wRC+

Sparky said on the radio this morning he thinks Meyers will start CF, and that if he were him, these next couple of days he'd work on bunting.
Any news on Yordan and totally agree with Sparky on bunting, his ass should be working on it for hours on end.
Honolulu Blue
Bunting against a tigers 3B is a decent idea
W
AG
Jake posted .526 OPS after the all-star break

he must be pinch hit for in critical situations

and the 4th or 5th inning is not too early
Mathguy64
AG
Frankly Jake shouldn't be playing. He's been the worst hitting CFer in the majors after May and it's not close.

I'm not looking but I will wager he's in the bottom 5 of all position players not named Martin Maldonado or Jose Abreu.

If Chas were healthy and hitting his weight he would be out there.

ETA.

Ok I looked. I stand corrected. Its not THAT bad.Jake is 11th worst of all qualified hitters in wRC+ And somehow Leody Tavares passed him as the lowest CFer.
Wabs
AG
I think we see this tomorrow if Yordan is a go:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Caratini C
Dubon LF
Meyers CF
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Frankly Jake shouldn't be playing. He's been the worst hitting CFer in the majors after May and it's not close.

I'm not looking but I will wager he's in the bottom 5 of all position players not named Martin Maldonado or Jose Abreu.

If Chas were healthy and hitting his weight he would be out there.

ETA.

Ok I looked. I stand corrected. Its not THAT bad.Jake is 11th worst of all qualified hitters in wRC+ And somehow Leody Tavares passed him as the lowest CFer.

Yeah Jake is not good… but unfortunately he's our best option out there until we go shopping this offseason hopefully
1836er
AG
Wabs said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Caratini C
Dubon LF
Meyers CF

Kinda has to be that if he wants all of his best bats in the lineup.
Wabs
AG
1836er said:

Wabs said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Caratini C
Dubon LF
Meyers CF

I'd go with this against RHP:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Pena SS
Singleton 1B
Heyward LF
Dubon CF
davidthomps18
Wabs said:

1836er said:

Wabs said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Caratini C
Dubon LF
Meyers CF

I'd go with this against RHP:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Pena SS
Singleton 1B
Heyward LF
Dubon CF
Like this; with Caratini able to come in and pinch hit in a big moment if needed.
RED AG 98
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I get the reasoning for it. They don't want multiple games going on together for viewership and eyeball counts for ads. And I even get they are choosing times for what they believe will be maximum eyeballs.

I just get tired of being the lowest totem on the pole.

Yeah but they have to realize in the era of streaming, most people would have multiple games on at the same time on multiple devices anyways. People have zero issue watching multiple games at the same time in 2024

It's MLB. They don't understand anything more tech based than a transistor radio.
I understand the sentiment but imo simply not true. MLBAM was so far ahead of their time and are really, really, really good. They saved HBO during the GoT crisis and is the backbone for Turner, ESPN, Disney, the PGA Tour, WWE, Yankee TV, Mets TV, and much more. They have the chops, they've just thus far refused to adopt in at least two specific areas (and probably a few more): broadcast rights and game timing. And I argue this is a lawyer issue and not tech .
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Pretty much all the prognosticators have us getting bounced by Detroit this week. I hope we shove it up their butts.
Farmer1906
AG
Skubal throws a majority of 4 seam and change-ups to RHH. Dubon is terrible vs heat.

.203 xwOBA vs lefty 4 seam
.140 xwOBA vs lefty 4 seam >= 95

He should not start vs Skubal.

If Chas is on the roster, he'd be my pick. If not, then I am not sure we have a better option.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Pretty much all the prognosticators have us getting bounced by Detroit this week. I hope we shove it up their butts.
They do? Who?
Ag4life80
AG
I'm happy for Hinch. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone else. He was a victim of big league hierarchy that places veteran HOF players ( Beltran ) over a manager with no skins on the wall ( at that time ). I remember I just happened to be on this site when the report was up and posted for about 15 minutes. When Beltran got to the Astros from the Yankees, he told our players regarding sign stealing, ' you guys are way behind the times '.
WES2006AG
AG
Ag4life80 said:

I'm happy for Hinch. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone else. He was a victim of big league hierarchy that places veteran HOF players ( Beltran ) over a manager with no skins on the wall ( at that time ). I remember I just happened to be on this site when the report was up and posted for about 15 minutes. When Beltran got to the Astros from the Yankees, he told our players regarding sign stealing, ' you guys are way behind the times '.
I like AJ too but he is not a victim in this. He chose to allow it to continue and that is ultimately why he isn't here anymore.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag4life80 said:

AJ also on two occasions smashed the monitors they (mostly Gattis and Marwin) were using but they would always get another monitor and keep going.

I'm convinced the only reason the players weren't punished is Manfred knew the union would sue and that opens up discovery and what if there's a disgruntled Rat Fiers on the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or any other of the 20+ teams that were doing it.

Suddenly Manfred has a league-wide scandal on his hands so he tells Crane "I'll let you keep the title but I have to have a couple of scalps."

I wish Crane didn't cave and fire an incredible skipper in AJ and an equally incredible GM in Luhnow but he was put in a terrible situation. If he tries to push back Manfred simply says "OK we'll vacate your title and all your wins if you don't give me those scalps."

OK back to the present. Lets beat that Tiger ass!!!
bearkatag15
AG

we get the Yankees broadcast team
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
Gotta imagine San Diego is feeling really good about their matchup. They get a team who will be playing their 3rd high pressure game in 30 hours
agproducer
AG
bearkatag15 said:

we get the Yankees broadcast team
And -- Kay even continued to push the buzzer conspiracy. Eff him, eff ESPN and eff the Yankees.

bearkatag15
AG
W said:

Jake posted .526 OPS after the all-star break

he must be pinch hit for in critical situations

and the 4th or 5th inning is not too early
You might as well not start him then and keep him for late inning defensive substitution. Put Dubon or Chas (assuming he's healthy and on the roster) to start then Jake to finish.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

They do? Who?
All the MLB network people except 1 I've seen so far.
Chef Elko
AG
I just want to see the Padres knock the Dodgers out
agproducer
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

They do? Who?
RoFlo and DeRo both have the Astros losing to the Yankees in the ALCS.
AgLA06
AG
Texas A&M said:

Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Yep. Nothing at all from game 1 or 3 and probably just the last 3 innings of game 2.

Thanks America for not giving a **** about the best team in baseball for the LAST 8 ****ING YEARS.
My memory may be way off... but didn't the Braves get similar treatment back during their run in the 90's?
Well, they were generally playing the Astros in those games so........
Farmer1906
AG
ALWC Preview: Astros vs Tiger

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They think Kikuchi goes game 2 and Brown goes game 3? That's odd
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

They think Kikuchi goes game 2 and Brown goes game 3? That's odd
I think there is a fair argument to be made for Blanco, Brown, or Kikuchi.

A lefty starter is important with big lefty bats in Carp, Greene, & Meadows.
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

They do? Who?

Passan has the Astros losing to the Phillies in a WS rematch.
First Page Last Page
Page 1821 of 1859

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.