***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,622,143 Views | 65033 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by BadAggie
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjack16 said:

Alright… let's hear some predictions.

How does each series go for the Astros (winner and how many games)

Wild Card: Astros in 2
ALDS: Astros in 4
ALCS: Astros over Yankees in 7 (head says yanks, but I can't pick them)
World Series: Phillies over Astros in 6

Astros in 2
Astros in 4
Orioles in 7
Orioles win the WS
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Mathguy64
AG
I get the reasoning for it. They don't want multiple games going on together for viewership and eyeball counts for ads. And I even get they are choosing times for what they believe will be maximum eyeballs.

I just get tired of being the lowest totem on the pole.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I get the reasoning for it. They don't want multiple games going on together for viewership and eyeball counts for ads. And I even get they are choosing times for what they believe will be maximum eyeballs.

Yeah but they have to realize in the era of streaming, most people would have multiple games on at the same time on multiple devices anyways. People have zero issue watching multiple games at the same time in 2024
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yeah but they have to realize in the era of streaming, most people would have multiple games on at the same time on multiple devices anyways. People have zero issue watching multiple games at the same time in 2024

It's MLB. They don't understand anything more tech based than a transistor radio.
agdaddy04
AG
If we get the O's, no way we lose that series.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinAg2K
iBrad said:

BadAggie said:

Frok said:

Baseball needs to fire all of its executives. Young people in general do not watch baseball. Then there's me, I really like it but I won't watch one moment of my team in the playoffs because of the archaic scheduling.

Do not understand non-weekend day playoff games in any sport.

MLB can't stagger games with multiple off days like the NBA and NHL to play all prime time games. Teams would be able to use fewer starters.

I guess the question is, what leads to more viewership overall? Afternoon games or playing games at the same time?
I bet they would get better overall viewership if they played multiple games at the same time. At least in the Wild Card round, I bet most viewers are watching their team and not just watching baseball to watch baseball. Your main primetime game might only get 80% of the audience, because 20% would watch the other game, but the game they currently put on at 1 probably only gets 25% of the audience it could have if it were also prime time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Twisted Helix
Mathguy64 said:

Since I can't watch the games I may as well get the playoff party started now.

It's playoff baseball. May the good luck titties work their magic. And may those of you who flag this get incurable wiener warts.

Algebra and trig can wait man. We talking October baseball. We ain't talking practice.
W
AG
what's interesting about that game...

Billy Wagner blew the save in the top of the 9th

and Trevor Hoffman served up the game-winning hit in the bottom of the 9th

they were not clutch in the postseason
W
AG
one intriguing aspect of the Tigers-Astros series...

Hinch is loath to issue intentional walks

but he can't let Yordan or Tucker beat his team late

have to make Bregman or Yainer or the 6-hole hitter be the guy
BadAggie
AG
So I guess the WC order is

Framber
Blanco
KUCHI

If Astros advance in 2 games then KUCHI gets game 1 start of the DS and then you have choice of Framber or Brown in game 2.

A 3 game WC win then puts Brown as game 1 DS starter.

tjack16
AG
BadAggie said:

Framber
Blanco
KUCHI

If Astros advance in 2 games then KUCHI gets game 1 start of the DS and then you have choice of Framber or Brown in game 2.

I'd go Framber, Brown and Kikuchi. You need to fire your best bullets this round or there might not be an ALDS.
JDUB08AG
AG
tjack16 said:

BadAggie said:

Framber
Blanco
KUCHI

I'd go Framber, Brown and Kikuchi. You need to fire your best bullets this round or there might not be an ALDS.

We have 4 legit options and a really strong postseason staff.
tjack16
AG
JDUB08AG said:

tjack16 said:

BadAggie said:

Framber
Blanco
KUCHI

I agree. But there's no reason to get too cute with the rotation. Framber and brown are your 1/2 and have been for a while. Dont change it up so you can try to play the ALDS matchup
JDUB08AG
AG
tjack16 said:

JDUB08AG said:

tjack16 said:

BadAggie said:

Framber
Blanco
KUCHI

I agree. But there's no reason to get too cute with the rotation. Framber and brown are your 1/2 and have been for a while. Dont change it up so you can try to play the ALDS matchup

Agree. I'm simply saying our postseason staff is pretty legit
Billy Baroo
AG
Got pulled down a YouTube rabbit hole this evening and ended up watching a video of A&M football highlights since 2010. Of course there was the 2012 season, but even our greatest season in 2+ decades topped out at 11-2 and #6 in the final polls. Most of it was highlights of a mediocre team beating another mediocre team.

After watching that and living as a Texans fan for those same 2+ decades where our best team ever was the letter jacket team, I have to say thank God for the Astros. No matter what happens this postseason and beyond, I'm incredibly grateful for this run we've been on.
Faustus
Farmer1906 said:

Not even Shay would call that an error following recent events.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Twisted Helix said:

Mathguy64 said:

Since I can't watch the games I may as well get the playoff party started now.

It's playoff baseball. May the good luck titties work their magic. And may those of you who flag this get incurable wiener warts.

Algebra and trig can wait man. We talking October baseball. We ain't talking practice.

Big Al 1992
AG
When are WC rosters announced?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

When are WC rosters announced?
morning of the games i think
Farmer1906
AG
The Weakest Positions on the AL Contenders

Catcher: Guardians - Naylor & Hedges
First Base: Yankees - Rizzo
    The Astros' -1.5 WAR at first base is the second-lowest among all 30 teams, but with them cutting bait on Jos Abreu in mid-June and the Yankees demoting injury fill-in Ben Rice in August, this basically comes down to a choice between Houston's Jon Singleton (.236/.320/.389, 105 wRC+) and New York's Anthony Rizzo (.227/.298/.334, 83 wRC+). Singleton is a great human interest story but a player whose bat may profile best in a reserve role, though with manager Joe Espada using whichever of his two catchers isn't starting behind the plate (Yainer Diaz or Victor Caratini) to cover the short half of a platoon, he's hit for a 140 wRC+ in 103 PA and all Astros first basemen have produced a 121 wRC+ since the start of August.
Second Base: Orioles - Westburg & Holliday
Shortstop: Guardians - Rocchio
Third Base: Tigers - Ibanez, Jung, McKinstry, & Vierling
    "Who's on third? Hell if I know when it comes to the Tigers" lol
Left Field: Yankees - Verdugo & Dominguez
Center Field: Royals - Isbel
Right Field: Royals - Renfroe
Designated Hitter: Royals - Everyone besides Vinnie Pasquantino
Rotation: Guardians
Bullpen: Orioles

Astros are weakness free.
iBrad
AG
Assuming our DH is healthy enough to play.
gambochaman
AG
I dont think we are weakness free, but I guess we dont have a single position that is an absolute liability. Defensively we sre very solid all around

But i would say that on offense 1B and CF are areas of weakness
Honolulu Blue
Detroit Tigers fan here. Grew up an Astros fan and have even posted in support of the Astros on this thread. But I adopted the Tigers when I moved here to Michigan.

Y'all likley know the advanced metrics better than me for both teams, but as someone who has seen this tigers team play in person recently, I'm happy to give any specific insight queried.

I hope if the Astros win then I can still post a celebratory remark for them later on. If it's any consolation, the Rangers organization is scum
Ag_07
AG
Honolulu Blue said:

If it's any consolation, the Rangers organization is scum

Farmer1906
AG
gambochaman said:

I dont think we are weakness free, but I guess we dont have a single position that is an absolute liability. Defensively we sre very solid all around

But i would say that on offense 1B and CF are areas of weakness
Vs RHP
Singleton - 124 wRC+
Caratini - 107 wRC+

Vs LHP
Diaz - 127 wRC+
Caratini - 136 wRC+

Between the backup catcher and Singleton, we have one hell of an offensive 1B position. Since Aug 1 we've had 122 wRC+ out of 1B.

Hornbeck
AG
Agree that Arlington is scum. Arlington will forever be dead to me after the way they treated the Astros organization after Harvey.
Farmer1906
AG
Honolulu Blue said:

Detroit Tigers fan here. Grew up an Astros fan and have even posted in support of the Astros on this thread. But I adopted the Tigers when I moved here to Michigan.

Y'all likley know the advanced metrics better than me for both teams, but as someone who has seen this tigers team play in person recently, I'm happy to give any specific insight queried.

I hope if the Astros win then I can still post a celebratory remark for them later on. If it's any consolation, the Rangers organization is scum

Thoughts on Carpenter? I think he's a budding star in the game. He's probably the best hitter no one talks about. Think Kyle Tucker in 2021.
Honolulu Blue
Agreed. He simply produces, and often in BIG ways.

What will be critical this series is whether Hinch lets Carpenter face lefties. Thus far (and even as recently as Thursday), Hinch sat Carp for Andy Ibanez. This is because Ibanez absolutely RAKED against lefties for much of the year. But Ibanez has been abysmal against both RHP and LHP for 1-2 months at least. Yet, Ibanez has still been getting the start (even lead off) recently against LHP, often with Carp the odd man out.

Very interesting to see if Hinch breaks his routine, with Framber and Kikuchi maybe 1 & 3 for the stros.
Honolulu Blue
Yep. I was in Houston at that time and that turned my dislike of them into pure rage.

That WS run was just magical. Each day the town coming together and energy building.

There is no natural disaster here in southeast Michigan, but I can tell you Detroit fans have been through a lot. Just like the Lions in 2022, the Tigers have caught fire late. But in 2022, the Lions just missed out on the post season, and had to wait until 2023.

Detroit is buzzing for the Tigers, and that's hard to imagine given they were 8 games under August 11, with about a 0.4% playoff chance. And with everyone moved on to the much beloved lions in Augus. Now though, the tigers are just as much the talk of the town and Hinch is approaching Campbell level love here

Farmer1906
AG
Honolulu Blue said:

Agreed. He simply produces, and often in BIG ways.

What will be critical this series is whether Hinch lets Carpenter face lefties. Thus far (and even as recently as Thursday), Hinch sat Carp for Andy Ibanez. This is because Ibanez absolutely RAKED against lefties for much of the year. But Ibanez has been abysmal against both RHP and LHP for 1-2 months at least. Yet, Ibanez has still been getting the start (even lead off) recently against LHP, often with Carp the odd man out.

Very interesting to see if Hinch breaks his routine, with Framber and Kikuchi maybe 1 & 3 for the stros.
Oh wow, I did not realize he absolutely cannot hit lefties - one of the most lopsided splits I have ever seen.

176 wRC+ vs RHP
18 wRC+ vs LHP

If Houston goes Framber & Kikuchi, he may not start until game 3 (if there is one).
Honolulu Blue
Example of me not knowing the advanced metrics as well to that detail.

If I had Hinch's ear and had to play devils advocate for Carp, I'd inquire what # of at bats that LHP stat is based on and how many in the last 2 months when Ibanez has been terrible.
First Page Last Page
Page 1820 of 1859

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.