***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,528,273 Views | 63371 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
having watched Dana in action the past 2 seasons...

Framber is probably #1 on the list for resigning
tjack16
AG
I think that was the narrative earlier in his career but not as much anymore. Especially after the 22 World Series
Ag_07
AG
Yeah it's come but I understood that those sentiments have changed and both sides are open to an extension.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would be really, really surprised if Tucker signs an extension here. Unless something changes he's going to chase the bag. He's just one of those guys.

Edit: The people I talk to just don't seem as confident as they did earlier in the year when they said things were trending in the right direction. Who knows. Things change fast
Mathguy64
AG
If he's going to chase the bag, just offer him the biggest bag. Problem solved.

I get the club doesn't do that and I understand why. But it is a solution.
wehnerhigh20
AG
It would really suck if we didn't re-sign either Tucker or Bregman. I've always thought we'd at least get one of them
Ag_07
AG
W said:

I don't know.

They way he's been able to evaluate and develop young talent (Scott, Ort, Arighetti, spearheading Blanco to the rotation, etc) he may believe he can find those diamonds in the rough and produce the next young arm to backfill.

Could go either way.
Farmer1906
AG
I was slightly worried about atteance being down about 2K a game, but then I realized 2024 tops 2022 and 2021 by a good margin and is very similar to 2019.
tjack16
AG
W said:

I think that extension will likely happen too.
txags92
AG
wehnerhigh20 said:

It would really suck if we didn't re-sign either Tucker or Bregman. I've always thought we'd at least get one of them
My problem will be if we let Bregman, Framber, and Tucker all leave without resigning them, and get nothing for them. If we aren't going to resign them, get something for them! I know it is too late for Bregman, but if you get to mid-season and haven't resigned Tucker, I think you have to consider trading him to get more value than compensatory draft picks. Doing that if we are in the heart of another pennant chase will be tough, but would be best for prolonging the run.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I was slightly worried about atteance being down about 2K a game, but then I realized 2024 tops 2022 and 2021 by a good margin and is very similar to 2019.

Head count may be down but rising ticket prices and concessions can offset that.
Farmer1906
AG
We have 100-110 M coming off the books after this year and next. That's a net number so it factors in raises to Altuve, Yordan, Javer, etc and new guys hitting arbitration. There is no chance in hell that Crane doesn't spend a large portion of it. If not Tucker then we better add a ton of talent in FA.
Farmer1906
AG
txags92 said:

wehnerhigh20 said:

My problem will be if we let Bregman, Framber, and Tucker all leave without resigning them, and get nothing for them. If we aren't going to resign them, get something for them! I know it is too late for Bregman, but if you get to mid-season and haven't resigned Tucker, I think you have to consider trading him to get more value than compensatory draft picks. Doing that if we are in the heart of another pennant chase will be tough, but would be best for prolonging the run.
This midnset makes no sense to me. If we're playing to win a title in 2025 then we cannot entertain trading away Tucker or Framber.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We have 100-110 M coming off the books after this year and next. That's a net number so it factors in raises to Altuve, Yordan, Javer, etc and new guys hitting arbitration. There is no chance in hell that Crane doesn't spend a large portion of it. If not Tucker then we better add a ton of talent in FA.
I hope Dana is picking the guys to spend it on instead of Crane this time.
Mathguy64
AG
They have a lot of flooding going on in Atlanta. They are on the clock for the game tonight.
Prosperdick
AG
txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

no s***, we don't need another Abreu boat anchor f***ing up our season. We'd be the #1 seed right now if not for Abreu.
agproducer
AG
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that Dana knows his stuff.

He's made some shrewed pickups and trades. He overpaid for Kuchi, but look at the results. They had his minimize his curveball usage and use his slider more. Yuey (to steal from Porkchop) hasn't done much. Bloss is still a question mark. Wagner has done well so far. Time will tell.

The switch for Blanco has worked. Ort was a nice find. King has been serviceable. Ferguson has not been good.

JHey looks like a nice supporting piece/insurance, and that is likewise with Gamel.

Cabbage has been a miss. He is organization filler.

I think even if we let go of Bregman (though I would not like it) and Tucker (hate that even more), I think Dana is looking ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if he is targeting Matthews and Corona for those spots.
Hornbeck
AG
They literally gave the guy every chance in the world.

Maybe he needed lasik. Maybe he was older than he said We probably won't know, but damn, dude was bad.
Prosperdick
AG
Hornbeck said:

They literally gave the guy every chance in the world.

Maybe he needed lasik. Maybe he was older than he said We probably won't know, but damn, dude was bad.
Seriously doubt it was lasik, I'm sure that was checked thoroughly...dude was probably 2-3 years older than he claimed and I'm guessing it was closer to 3 than 2.
Prosperdick
AG
So anyone have an update on Yordan? It's now been 5 days since he tweaked his knee.
txags92
AG
Prosperdick said:

So anyone have an update on Yordan? It's now been 5 days since he tweaked his knee.

Just 4 more days before we put him on the 10-day IL.
houag78
AG
Not like it's important or anything. Our playoff run is entirely dependent on his knee.
iamtheglove
txags92 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I know money drives where players end up, but Alex might want to look at where the money took George and Carlos. It took them to teams that are done by the time October rolled around. Breggy is about to play in his 8th straight playoffs. Money can't buy that.
Yeah but the union guys and his agent will be in his ear telling him that if he takes less than "he is worth" to stay in Houston, he hurts other guys who need the money because his contract will be used to benchmark others. He has the option to tell his agent "work out the best deal you can get with Houston" instead of opening himself up to the free agent market, but I can't see that happening.

Maybe we try one of those creative deferred deals like Ohtani got from LA. Breggy can surely live off his salsa income for several years.
W
AG
at the trade deadline...

Dana went for starting pitching

and frankly didn't care about the hitting lineup
W
AG
Prosperdick said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

no s***, we don't need another Abreu boat anchor f***ing up our season. We'd be the #1 seed right now if not for Abreu.
yes, and this is why the Astros have not been completely absolved of their April sins yet

they should not be playing in the wildcard round
Ag_07
AG
W said:

at the trade deadline...

I'm not sure that's accurate
Booma94
AG
W said:

at the trade deadline...

I think because so many teams were still in contention for the post season, there were far fewer seller and far more buyers, so prices were inflated. Look what had to be given up for Kukuchi and how everyone hollered at the time. I imagine the price tag on hitters was equally high.

Not saying there weren't some other FA options that were available to pair with Singleton at 1B, but the trade market was expensive and I don't think the Astros were willing to part with what it took to upgrade.

Just my view.
cc10106
We were desperate for starting pitching at the deadline. Thankfully the trade has worked out very well.

A lot of Astro fans, not here per se, need to eat crow about Dana Brown.
Farmer1906
AG
FredMc92
Prosperdick said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Such a lazy take.

Sure, Abreu was the ONLY reason the team was terrible.

The pitching was awesome the first two months, right? Hunter Brown's 9+ ERA was fantastic. And don't forget about how great B Abreu, Pressley and Hader were!
cone
AG
still loving the balls on Espada to go for two 4 out high leverage holds in one game
EastCoastAgNc
AG
This is a good thing I think.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
FredMc92 said:

Prosperdick said:

txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Such a lazy take.

Sure, Abreu was the ONLY reason the team was terrible.

The pitching was awesome the first two months, right? Hunter Brown's 9+ ERA was fantastic. And don't forget about how great B Abreu, Pressley and Hader were!

He wasn't the only reason but was a huge one. We still were in plenty of games where his "hitting" and errors cost us games. I'd say he cost us at least 3 games easily, which is a 6 game swing and now suddenly we're tied with Cleveland and this series takes on a whole new look.
Texaggie7nine
Man Correa not only flubs an easy groundout when the game was on the line, he also lollygagged and missed a chance to make it to 1st due to a crappy throw.

7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 1804 of 1811

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.