***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,528,961 Views | 63379 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by All I do is Nguyen
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it appears KC will most likely by our first round match up.
cone
AG
if you get to keep Tucker over Bregman you absolutely do that
tjack16
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So it appears KC will most likely by our first round match up.

Yep.

I'd say Detroit sweeps and KC wins 1/3

agproducer
AG
Prosperdick said:

texasaggie2015 said:

They want to be closer to his family. At least that's what I was told
Well I can't fault him for that at all...if that's where he wants to be take that money and use it to help wrap up Tucker long-term.

You really can't fault him for wanting to get as much money as possible either. I'm not going to begrudge a guy for maximizing his salary.
Farmer1906
AG
We have made big extensions to key players.

Altuve 7/163.5
Altuve 5/125
Alvarez 6/115 (3 extra years of control)
Bregman 5/100 M (2 extra years of control)
Javier 5/64 (2 extra years of control)

That does not include smaller short-term deals with Verlander, Gurriel (2x), Brantley, & Pressly.
Booma94
AG
jja79 said:

I went to 5 games that year and you could sit anywhere because the dome was a ghost town.
I went to a couple as well and that was going to be my exact post. You could get a nosebleed seat and sit on the lower bowl 50 yardline because there were more rats in the dome than fans.
Booma94
AG
Ags #1 said:

Twins 2-15 risp. Ouch
Everybody wants to be the Astros...
Booma94
AG
Prosperdick said:

I laugh at the "hurting the younger guys benchmark" argument because it's ridiculous. If you're gauging your salary by what Bregman gets paid you're already looking at a 9 figure salary.

That is multi generational wealth so the idea that it's helping the "poor" younger players is complete and utter nonsense.

It's simply a ploy to justify the agent and player's greed. It's sad that there are so few examples of players taking team friendly deals.

I get it's a business and I know the owners are greedy as hell too but at a certain point wouldn't you want to play where you're happy and making the playoffs every single season. I guess it also boils down to massive egos these guys possess.
Admittedly having never been in the position to know this, I have always wondered- what does $30million a year get you that $20million a year doesn't? They're both unfathomable amounts of money to most people. I would think that where you play and who you play with would have more influence than just money. You're with the organization a lot of hours- I would think that who you spend all of that time with matters more than it does.
AustinCountyAg
It would be very hard for me to fault Bregman for wanting to play in Arizona. With a kid now I'm sure the grandparents want them closer, as well as himself being closer to his hometown. Not to mention I'd rather live in AZ during the winter time, than Houston.

However, if he just goes out and signs a stupid deal with a crap team just for the money then I hope he enjoys the Correa/Springer baseball purgatory.
jja79
AG
I live in Phoenix and there's no guarantee the team will be here much longer. Roof won't open and the AC has issues. Lease is up in a couple of years and they've been negotiating for over a year. I think the people in Maricopa County have decided they don't want to put more money into stadiums.
Prosperdick
AG
Booma94 said:

Prosperdick said:

I laugh at the "hurting the younger guys benchmark" argument because it's ridiculous. If you're gauging your salary by what Bregman gets paid you're already looking at a 9 figure salary.

That is multi generational wealth so the idea that it's helping the "poor" younger players is complete and utter nonsense.

It's simply a ploy to justify the agent and player's greed. It's sad that there are so few examples of players taking team friendly deals.

I get it's a business and I know the owners are greedy as hell too but at a certain point wouldn't you want to play where you're happy and making the playoffs every single season. I guess it also boils down to massive egos these guys possess.
Admittedly having never been in the position to know this, I have always wondered- what does $30million a year get you that $20million a year doesn't? They're both unfathomable amounts of money to most people. I would think that where you play and who you play with would have more influence than just money. You're with the organization a lot of hours- I would think that who you're with matters more than it does.
I think ego drives so many of these guys and they hear player X is making this amount and they think "I'm better than that motherf***er, I should be paid more than him!" Current ballclub can't offer that but another club can so he jumps ship and his ego is restored.

You're right, most of us would want to stay on a winning club with guys they like but pro athletes are wired differently.
dcaggie04
AG
Booma94 said:

Prosperdick said:

Admittedly having never been in the position to know this, I have always wondered- what does $30million a year get you that $20million a year doesn't? They're both unfathomable amounts of money to most people. I would think that where you play and who you play with would have more influence than just money. You're with the organization a lot of hours- I would think that who you spend all of that time with matters more than it does.
You do also have to remember that he isn't taking home 30 mil a year. That's really more like 15-16 mill after all the taxes he has to pay. So I would want to maximize my contract amount to take home more money to make sure my whole family is taken care of for multiple generations if possible.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't see how KC doesn't end up with a destroyed pitching staff. Atlanta cancelled the Mets games already before the hurricane even came close to landing. How they can play today or tomorrow makes no sense.

Atlanta will be piling up unplayed games and now so will KC. Those games affect the playoff chances for everyone in the NL and AL. It's chances to be in, seeding and matchups for the entire WC slates.

MLB had a mess on their hands. Atlanta should have moved venues. It sucks but they should have.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Booma94 said:

Ags #1 said:

Twins 2-15 risp. Ouch
Everybody wants to be the Astros...

Booma94
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Booma94 said:

Prosperdick said:

You do also have to remember that he isn't taking home 30 mil a year. That's really more like 15-16 mill after all the taxes he has to pay. So I would want to maximize my contract amount to take home more money to make sure my whole family is taken care of for multiple generations if possible.
He's made $107million in his career, and that's just on the field. I think that's pretty close to generational wealth. If this were his first deal, I could see chasing the big contract. But the extra 5-10 million he'll get over the life of the contract likely won't be noticeable in the grand scheme of things. It's a lot to the average fan, but it's not life changing to a guy who already made 10x that over his career.
Ag_07
AG
We keep talking about Bregman and Tucker but we also have Framber coming up next year too.

That will be very interesting to watch.

AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

We keep talking about Bregman and Tucker but we also have Framber coming up next year too.

Give me Framber and Tucker. Let Bregman walk
Booma94
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

Agree completely.
Farmer1906
AG
WC Roster - what would you change? Who are the last few guys on the bench?

Position Players (13)
Diaz
Caratini
Singleton
Altuve
Pena
Bregman
Alvarez
Meyers
Tucker
Dubon
Heyward
--
Salazar
Kessinger

Pitchers (13)
Valdez
Kikuchi
Brown
Blanco
Arrighetti
Hader
Abreu
Pressly
Neris
Scott
Verlander
Ferguson
King
Dubin
Martinez

I assume Whitcomb gets left out of the postseason roster because we value a 3rd catcher with Diaz or Caratini getting in the mix at 1B and a utility defender over a right handed punch hitter.

For the last 2 pitching spots, I would choose a lefty (I lean King, they probably lan Ferg) and Verlander assuming he's willing to play the role of mop up duty in a blowout.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

How much do you think Framber gets in the open market with a solid 2025?

I think Glasnow would be a decent comp - not as healthy but also a little younger. 5/136 M (last year being a team 30 M or player 21 M option)
Mathguy64
AG
If he's healthy, Chas. Then Salazar for flexibility at C, although Joe has shown he's more than capable of playing them both and working out the lineup.

Unless he has a miraculous game (today? Tomorrow?) I just don't see how you put Verlander on the WC roster. It's adding a dead player. He would never get used in a 3 game round. It's Framber, Brown, Kikuchi with Ron White and Arrighetti in the pen as bullets for long relief.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If he's healthy, Chas. Then Salazar for flexibility at C, although Joe has shown he's more than capable of playing them both and working out the lineup.

Unless he has a miraculous game (today? Tomorrow?) I just don't see how you put Verlander on the WC roster. It's adding a dead player. He would never get used in a 3 game round. It's Framber, Brown, Kikuchi with Ron White and Arrighetti in the pen as bullets for long relief.
There is no chance Crane lets Brown keep JV off the roster. Like Farmer said, he can play a mop up duty role which we will still need.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Wabs
AG
I'm with you. I guess the only "reason" for JV is what Farmer said - maybe as someone to come in in a mop-up situation. I don't think that's a good enough reason. I'd leave him off and go with King and Martinex as the final 2 pitchers.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't want Ort, Ferg, King, etc to play at all in the WC. 2-3 starters, top 5 in the bullpen plus Blanco. I might only carry 12 and get Whitcomb on the bench.
Prosperdick
AG
He's on the roster for sure...if he gets lit up like a Christmas tree Saturday he's definitely the mop up guy if a game gets out of hand.

If he looks great Saturday you still take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure Cleveland won't have their A lineup in that game but maybe it gives Joe a little more flexibility on when to use him.

Lets say we burn our bullpen arms in games 1 and 2 and we have a comfortable lead in game 3...maybe JV gets the 6th and 7th innings with a short leash. I don't know.

I think the chances of him pitching are pretty low and I'd hate to see him in a mop up role as it likely means we're down big although I guess we could be up big as well.
htxag09
AG
May have found my new beer glass for this year's run.
Farmer1906
AG
Nope. No reason to use JV there.
jetch17
AG
htxag09 said:

still have mine from last year - i dont drink out of it until the time is right, and by god, its about that time! Even better as the weather is starting to turn.
MaxPower
superaggie73 said:

Farmer1906 said:

superaggie73 said:

If Bregman is going to go to Arizona, would Suarez be a "cheaper" option for us at least for next year?

No reason for AZ not to keep Suarez. The club option is very reasonable.

That's what I thought as well making me think Arizona is not an option for Bregman
They are likely losing their 1B. Could easily do both.
cone
AG

wellness check on Jeff Passan, sustainability expert
Kashchei
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

What if Tucker doesn't want to re-sign here even if we offer a max deal? There's been rumblings for years he's not the happiest in Houston. Then we lose both.
cc10106
jetch17 said:

htxag09 said:

still have mine from last year - i dont drink out of it until the time is right, and by god, its about that time! Even better as the weather is starting to turn.
Easily one of Houston's best breweries. Reminds me i still need to pick up one of those tees.
n_touch
Kashchei said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

What if Tucker doesn't want to re-sign here even if we offer a max deal? There's been rumblings for years he's not the happiest in Houston. Then we lose both.
They know or have to at least have an idea of if he is happy and will resign here.
Farmer1906
AG
Kashchei said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Ag_07 said:

I haven't heard that.
Johnsy3
AG
Really? I feel like it's been discussed in this thread (and past years') often. I even think aggie2015 has commented on the potential discontentment. Some people theorize it's because we "mistreated" his brother.

Edit: I could be misremembering exacts, but I know the topic has come up here before
First Page Last Page
Page 1803 of 1811

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.