***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,529,013 Views | 63379 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by All I do is Nguyen
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nobody was at those lame duck Chris Chandler games in the Dome in 96
jkag89
The Beef01
AG
Pahdz said:

nobody was at those lame duck Chris Chandler games in the Dome in 96

Oh, FFS! I give up…it was the gif from Arrested Development of Tobias declaring "There are dozens of us..DOZENS!"
Chrundle the Great
AG
Prosperdick said:

JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

Prosperdick said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

How anyone cannot be romantic about baseball is beyond me

I feel for their fans...kinda reminds me of when Bud Adams moved the Oilers to Tennessee.
the oilers were beloved in Houston and packed the Astrodome. The As averaged 11,000 fans per game this year which is last place in MLB by far. Even the CWS averaged 6k more fans a game and they lost 120+ games. The Oakland fans quit on their team and are showing love now because it's over.
Fair point, I said "reminded me" of that situation. However, I bet if Bud let the team go like the A's they wouldn't pack the Dome every Sunday. We certainly weren't packing the Juice Box when the team was tanking.

I've looked before, Houston was dead last in home attendance their last year too. Mostly getting ~20k into a 62k seat dome. Nobody wants to support an owner actively working against you/your home.

And the A's divorce has been even longer/messier than the Oilers was. Go back before Fisher started toying with moving and they had good-decent teams and their attendance was right there with the rest of the mlb in the mid 20s.
Ags #1
AG
Twins had bases loaded and no outs and only got 1 run to tie it up
Pahdz
I'm sure it was hilarious
jja79
AG
I went to 5 games that year and you could sit anywhere because the dome was a ghost town.
Ags #1
AG
Twins 2-15 risp. Ouch
W
AG
if the Twins lose...

it takes a lot of pressure off the Tigers and Royals

both could have their aces ready for wildcard game 1
Mr.Bond
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

Prosperdick said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

How anyone cannot be romantic about baseball is beyond me

I feel for their fans...kinda reminds me of when Bud Adams moved the Oilers to Tennessee.
the oilers were beloved in Houston and packed the Astrodome. The As averaged 11,000 fans per game this year which is last place in MLB by far. Even the CWS averaged 6k more fans a game and they lost 120+ games. The Oakland fans quit on their team and are showing love now because it's over.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mathguy64
AG
I know money drives where players end up, but Alex might want to look at where the money took George and Carlos. It took them to teams that are done by the time October rolled around. Breggy is about to play in his 8th straight playoffs. Money can't buy that.
Ags #1
AG
Wow the twins are bad at bunting too
txags92
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I know money drives where players end up, but Alex might want to look at where the money took George and Carlos. It took them to teams that are done by the time October rolled around. Breggy is about to play in his 8th straight playoffs. Money can't buy that.
Yeah but the union guys and his agent will be in his ear telling him that if he takes less than "he is worth" to stay in Houston, he hurts other guys who need the money because his contract will be used to benchmark others. He has the option to tell his agent "work out the best deal you can get with Houston" instead of opening himself up to the free agent market, but I can't see that happening.
stoneca
Who would y'all rather play? Tigers or Royals
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Royals. No hesitation.
W
AG
more than likely the Astros will face the 1-2-3 of either team

the Royals-Braves are going to be rained out tomorrow -- right?

so if Baltimore beats the Twins...KC clinches before the series vs. Atlanta starts
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

more than likely the Astros will face the 1-2-3 of either team

the Royals-Braves are going to be rained out tomorrow -- right?

so if Baltimore beats the Twins...KC clinches before the series vs. Atlanta starts

If that happens, Atlanta might have to do back to back days if double headers. Even if they make the playoffs, their pitching will be ruined
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mr President Elect
AG
stoneca said:

Who would y'all rather play? Tigers or Royals
Royals. We just had a 4 game sweep against them at home and the Tigers have been one of the hottest teams since the AS break.
Dr. Doctor
AG
txags92 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yeah but the union guys and his agent will be in his ear telling him that if he takes less than "he is worth" to stay in Houston, he hurts other guys who need the money because his contract will be used to benchmark others. He has the option to tell his agent "work out the best deal you can get with Houston" instead of opening himself up to the free agent market, but I can't see that happening.

I've said that in this thread before and i also tell my kids that money doesn't make everything better. It's nice, but at a certain point, more isn't better.

Someone should point out Correa and springer and say they got paid more, but the astros paid you more in experiences. What's the price on winning a WS? How much is that worth to a player vs. just passing 162 games?

Isn't that the rage now? Spending money on experiences vs. stuff?

~egon
Prosperdick
AG
I laugh at the "hurting the younger guys benchmark" argument because it's ridiculous. If you're gauging your salary by what Bregman gets paid you're already looking at a 9 figure salary.

That is multi generational wealth so the idea that it's helping the "poor" younger players is complete and utter nonsense.

It's simply a ploy to justify the agent and player's greed. It's sad that there are so few examples of players taking team friendly deals.

I get it's a business and I know the owners are greedy as hell too but at a certain point wouldn't you want to play where you're happy and making the playoffs every single season. I guess it also boils down to massive egos these guys possess.
redline248
AG
Could Arizona be a possibility for Bregman?
Ag_07
AG
redline248 said:

One of the front runners
superaggie73
AG
If Bregman is going to go to Arizona, would Suarez be a "cheaper" option for us at least for next year?
houag78
AG
It's just a shame that these guys choose money over loyalty . I mean after all, Breggy is already set for life if he never played another inning. The difference between what the Astros can pay him and what the high bidder offers won't make a hill of beans to him personally. Maybe it impacts his great great grand children.
Farmer1906
AG
houag78 said:

It's just a shame that these guys choose money over loyalty . I mean after all, Breggy is already set for life if he never played another inning. The difference between what the Astros can pay him and what the high bidder offers won't make a hill of beans to him personally. Maybe it impacts his great great grand children.

The same can be said about the org. Why won't they be loyal and pay him what other teams are willing to? Crane already made more than all the players combined. Maybe whatever he doesn't pay Bregman impacts his great great grandchildren.
Farmer1906
AG
superaggie73 said:

If Bregman is going to go to Arizona, would Suarez be a "cheaper" option for us at least for next year?

No reason for AZ not to keep Suarez. The club option is very reasonable.
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

I was told last year by someone very, very familiar with him that Arizona was one of, if not the most preferred destination for him.
superaggie73
AG
Farmer1906 said:

superaggie73 said:

No reason for AZ not to keep Suarez. The club option is very reasonable.

That's what I thought as well making me think Arizona is not an option for Bregman
Prosperdick
AG
houag78 said:

Was just looking at his wiki and thought this was interesting:

Quote:

in his Bar Mitzvah speech he said: "I want to be a professional athlete who plays for the love of the game, never quits trying to give my best, and is a good role model for all of the kids who look up to baseball players."
Of course Verlander said something similar about the birth of his daughter and how it showed him the game in a whole new light and that he could appreciate it more now...then he took a bag to play for the Mets, was miserable and came back to the good guys.

I'd love to know what Correa and Springer tell Breggy about their decisions. Knowing how ultra competitive George is he can't be happy in Toronto never making the playoffs and I bet Correa feels the same way (although I doubt he admits it out loud).

Regardless though, bottom line their egos drive their decisions so they almost always go for the biggest bag. Wish Breggy good luck and hope he's as miserable as Carlos and George in a few years.
tjack16
AG
I think you have to pay either Bregman or Tucker. You can't let both walk if you hope to keep the window open

The thought for us as fans was always
"Well they aren't extending Cole so they can extend springer"
"Well they aren't extending springer so they can extend Correa"
"Well they aren't extending Correa so they can extend Bregman"
"Well they might not extend Bregman so they can pay Tucker"

Eventually you have to extend somebody to the big deal. Bregman and Tucker to me are better candidates than springer and Correa because of age, health, and there is no sure thing coming up behind them in the minors. They were smart in not extending Springer and Correa. Springer was just at the age where players decline although his happened more rapidly than we imagined. Correa just can't stay healthy and we saw that here in Houston. He made his money's worth for us in October but the twins aren't good enough to see that through.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

redline248 said:

I was told last year by someone very, very familiar with him that Arizona was one of, if not the most preferred destination for him.
Is it because of the close(ish) proximity to Albuquerque or is it something about the organization that he likes?
texasaggie2015
AG
They want to be closer to his family. At least that's what I was told
Prosperdick
AG
tjack16 said:

I think you have to pay either Bregman or Tucker. You can't let both walk if you hope to keep the window open

The thought for us as fans was always
"Well they aren't extending Cole so they can extend springer"
"Well they aren't extending springer so they can extend Correa"
"Well they aren't extending Correa so they can extend Bregman"
"Well they might not extend Bregman so they can pay Tucker"

Eventually you have to extend somebody to the big deal. Bregman and Tucker to me are better candidates than springer and Correa because of age, health, and there is no sure thing coming up behind them in the minors. They were smart in not extending Springer and Correa. Springer was just at the age where players decline although his happened more rapidly than we imagined. Correa just can't stay healthy and we saw that here in Houston. He made his money's worth for us in October but the twins aren't good enough to see that through.
If we could only keep one Tucker is the obvious play IMO. I love Breggy and I'll miss his wizardry at 3rd but his streaky nature and propensity to pop-up I certainly won't miss.

He does bring a ton of intangibles with how he works with pitchers but Tucker was on his way to an MVP season and a trio of Yordan/Altuve/Tucker + our pitching should keep the window open for a few more years.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They want to be closer to his family. At least that's what I was told
Well I can't fault him for that at all...if that's where he wants to be take that money and use it to help wrap up Tucker long-term.
First Page Last Page
Page 1802 of 1811

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.