***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,349,513 Views | 60909 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by nbbob
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W said:

the Astros are catching San Diego's best 3 starters

Darvish, Cease, and King
Good, means the Astros sweep!
All I do is Nguyen
Beat40 said:

W said:

Darvish, Cease, and King
Good, means the Astros sweep!
We own Darvish, Cease can be scary tho
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
linkdude
AG
Hopefully we can see a top 5 of Altuve-Alvarez-Diaz-Tucker-Bregman in all three games. Playoff preview if you will.
Wabs
AG
My lineups if postseason started today. 1B is a hole, we all know that. Just have to deal with Diaz playing over there some.

Against RHP:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Pena SS
Singleton 1B
Heyward LF
Dubon CF

Against LHP:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Caratini C
Dubon LF
Meyers CF
Farmer1906
AG
Why would Dubon play CF over Meyers?
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Trust Doobie more in the clutch
iamtheglove
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Directv is the best IMO. It covers everything including Space City. Only $100 a month with the intro offer.

I still think $100+ for TV is insane.
Kind of what you have to do in order to see A&M football, basketball, baseball, and Astros plus the postseason.
Only for the Astros. I understand people paying for it to watch.

I just go so fed up with it that this year is said F it. I just used gameday on the app and the iheart radio app to listen to the games.

The regional sports fees are BS.

Just wish we could have a better option, like a MLB app where there aren't black outs. But, can't do that because of the RSNs.

The other tragedy is I think YouTube TV is a superior product to Fubo. Their multi-view quad box is really, really good.

I love the Astros, but I'm tired of paying out the rear to watch them. Wish the owners would get out of their own way and lose the RSN model.

The owners are making 8 or 9 figures from the RSN rights fees even in this declining cable and satellite ecosystem. They will not get close to those numbers if the market was trued up to actual viewers. So they will ride the RSNs to the ground. What happened next will most certainly result in less rights money going to teams and a more checkerboard of where games will be televised. That's going to require a lot of subscriptions for us viewers.

Separately, I think I pay about &120/month for DTV. In isolation that feels like a lot, but I see the value. My household easily watches 6 hours of tv per day. $4 per day feels like pretty good value given I costs over $5 for an ice tea at Starbucks.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jake is a better defender and equally bad (maybe slightly better actually) vs RHP.
redline248
AG
September offense check in. Just when Chas was getting it going, busted up his hand. Yordan doing his thing, while Gamel and Meyers have cratered

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dubon has been better offensively… I guess that's the argument?
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Jake is a better defender and equally bad (maybe slightly better actually) vs RHP.
All true, and they both have some horri-bad ABs at times. I just personally trust Doobie more at the plate in big moments.
Farmer1906
AG
My thoughts on lineup construction in the postseason.

Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, Diaz, Bregman, and Caratini must be in the lineup regardless of the matchup.

Pena & Meyers have to be in the lineup for their defense because we have no viable option to replace them vs their worse match-up. Dubon can play CF, but he's got splits similar to Jake.

That leaves one spot to play with. Gamel/Heyward/Singleton vs RHP and Dubon vs LHP.

I would love to get more LHH in vs RHP but we don't have the flexibility. The only possible way would be to sit one the big 6.
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

Darvish, Cease, and King
Darvish hasn't been good since coming back from the IL. He's also been on a pretty strict pitch count. Hasn't thrown more than 63 pitches in a start yet.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Dubon has been better offensively… I guess that's the argument?
But he's not. They have the exact same wRC+. Th difference is Jake is underperforming the expected while Dubon is overperforming the expected.
Wabs
AG
Whatever the lineup, our top 5-6 is really going to have to produce. The fall off at the bottom is pretty steep.
MAROON
AG
Quote:

What was up with the Bears' uniform...that red looked eerily similar to the ketchup bottles the Texans used to wear.
Might want to check your tv. That is orange. Bears colors are Navy Blue, Orange and White

Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Whatever the lineup, our top 5-6 is really going to have to produce. The fall off at the bottom is pretty steep.
Vs LHP - Meyers (110), Pena (129), & Dubon (80) are prtty good.

Vs RHP - One of our lefties is fine (Heyward 238 as an Astros / 103 overall, Gamel 114, & Singletin 124) will be good. The final 2 spots in the lineup are not good.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Bregs at 2B? ummmmmm
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG

The return
Jake Bloss - 7.83 ERA over 7 starts in AAA
Joey Looerfido - .649 OPS / 82 OPS+
Will Wagner - .788 OPS / 123 OPS+ !!!

Who had Wagner as the "best piece" of the Kikuchi trade?
tjack16
AG
Mr.Bond said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Bregs at 2B? ummmmmm

I guess that's a way to get around the elbow issue in free agency?
Beat40
Breggy has already said he's going to get the issue taken care of after the season.

Quote:

"It feels much better this go-around," Bregman said. "It's just something to deal with and manage until the offseason, when I can get it fixed and good forever."
I don't think the 2B comment is for the elbow. I think it's to increase the pool of teams to drive the cost up.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

September offense check in. Just when Chas was getting it going, busted up his hand. Yordan doing his thing, while Gamel and Meyers have cratered

I understand I could be a big boy and look these up, but does someone want to help the old guy and explain:

ISO
BABIP
wOBA
xwOBA
wRC+
BsR

to me?
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Breggy has already said he's going to get the issue taken care of after the season.

Quote:

"It feels much better this go-around," Bregman said. "It's just something to deal with and manage until the offseason, when I can get it fixed and good forever."
I don't think the 2B comment is for the elbow. I think it's to increase the pool of teams to drive the cost up.
Scott Boras is a tool. His player is playing for a team going into the playoffs. He needs to wait until the season is over. If this were a another team it would be tampering.
wangus12
AG
Wabs said:

Definitely can't have what happened yesterday where the top 5 went 1-20 (0-16 from the top 4)
Farmer1906
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

redline248 said:

I understand I could be a big boy and look these up, but does someone want to help the old guy and explain:

ISO
BABIP
wOBA
xwOBA
wRC+
BsR

to me?
Short and sweet version

ISO = SLG minus BA. It is supposed to show raw power.
BABIP = BA of a ball in play. If it's high, you can assume they're getting some luck and crushing the ball when contact is made. Basically, your BA if you ignore SO.
wOBA = a catch-all offensive stat that does it much better than OPS.
xwOBA = a catch-all offensive stat that is based on your quality of contact, not results.
wRC+ = Catch-all offensive stat based on wOBA. Note - Anything that ends with a plus or minus means league and park adjusted & 100= league avg. **this is the best way to judge a players hitting IMO**
BsR = baserunning stat, I am not that familiar with it.
W
AG
speaking of Bregman and free agency...

anyone checking in with Xander Bogaerts?

age 31 season...and not aging well...with an OPS+ of 91

guys get older much faster nowadays -- buyer beware

Beat40
W said:

speaking of Bregman and free agency...

anyone checking in with Xander Bogaerts?

age 31 season...and not aging well...with an OPS+ of 91

guys get older much faster nowadays -- buyer beware

Disagree with this. Guys get older at the same rate. The reason HOFers are HOFers are because they are the 1% of the 1% who produce into mid-30s.

The other 99% decline after 29-31, the same as they have in all of baseball history.
tjack16
AG
Big next 3 games. Seattle has the Yankees so we just need to match what they do and then win 3/4 against the Angels this weekend
The Porkchop Express
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Well, there was one elite anti-aging program a couple decades ago that isn't available anymore.
Farmer1906
AG
I think I'm about to get on the anti aging program.
bearkatag15
AG
Beau Holder said:

Well, there was one elite anti-aging program a couple decades ago that isn't available anymore.
I bet Bonds could still out hit Abreu today.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Beau Holder said:

I bet Bonds could still out hit Abreu today.

Have you seen Manny lately? His swing looks as sweet as ever.
bearkatag15
AG

Interesting that homefield for ALDS and ALCS are just 1 apart.
First Page Last Page
Page 1684 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.