***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,277,930 Views | 60212 Replies | Last: 47 sec ago by wessimo
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

Interesting discussion on KC on MLB radio. They question why KC picked up Tommy Pham. Apparently he came in and immediately questioned the clubhouse commitment to winning. And of course pissed off everyone in the clubhouse.

I said it at the time that he's a clubhouse cancer and questioned this move. Mathtradamus strikes again.
With the way they're playing right now, Pham may have a good point.

I think the loss of Pasquantino was devastating. He made it impossible to pitch around Witt and Salvy.
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

Interesting discussion on KC on MLB radio. They question why KC picked up Tommy Pham. Apparently he came in and immediately questioned the clubhouse commitment to winning. And of course pissed off everyone in the clubhouse.

I said it at the time that he's a clubhouse cancer and questioned this move. Mathtradamus strikes again.
With the way they're playing right now, Pham may have a good point.

I think the loss of Pasquantino was devastating. He made it impossible to pitch around Witt and Salvy.
Exactly...I seriously doubt we could have neutralized Witt like we did had he not gone down in game 1. Yes he hit a pair of homers but they were late and insignificant.

The Royals are done.
All I do is Nguyen
This warms my heart

Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Is that a cancer? Sounds like he wants to win and has a unique perspective. He has postseason experience with the Cards, Rays, Padres, and DBacks. He also has been on some bad teams like the White Sox earlier this year and teams that feel short of their runs with 24 Cards, 23 Mets, & 22 Red Sox.

Maybe he went about it the wrong way, but the guy has fire and he wants to win.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

They should identify him as 0-time World Champion Tommy Pham.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Is that a cancer? Sounds like he wants to win and has a unique perspective. He has postseason experience with the Cards, Rays, Padres, and DBacks. He also has been on some bad teams like the White Sox earlier this year and teams that feel short of their runs with 24 Cards, 23 Mets, & 22 Red Sox.

There is a reason he's been on 10 teams in 10 years. He went about it the wrong way.

He also doesn't play very good defense or run the bases very well. And those are two things that KC does. IMHO they panicked when Pasquantino went down.

They appear to be locking themselves into the 6 seed and unless something crazy happens we will end up in the 3 spot. I think we see KC again. A healthy KC is a tough out. They run the bases like crazy and make runs happen. In the playoffs that's a good combination.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

You know that new guy that just moved onto your block from California that won't shut up about how much better it was back in California? That is Tommy Pham in the Royals clubhouse. Has he been to the playoffs? Sure. Does everybody in the Royals clubhouse want to hear about it from the new guy before he settles in and gets to know everybody? No.
W
AG
Tommy Pham has had an interesting life and interesting career

almost like the scars of the war still cast a long shadow
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

This warms my heart

I love it.
W
AG
and as things stand in the National League right now...

the Dodgers' ALDS matchup would be against the Padres-Diamondbacks wildcard series winner

and those teams have both knocked out LAD in recent seasons
Farmer1906
AG
I was just thinking about how awesome Yordan is as one does.

Since 2019 - wRC+
1. Judge - 179
2. Alvarez - 167
3. Trout - 165
4. Soto - 159
5. Freeman - 150
6. Ohtani - 150
7. Betts - 145
8. Harper - 144
9. Tucker - 141
10. Acuna - 140
--
15. Altuve - 136
16. Bregman - 134
--
30. Brantley - 127

Even with all the regular season and postseason success, he feels underrated. He's not getting the type of love Judge, Soto, & Ohtani get on a national stage. I will say the national play-by-play / color guys do when they call our games. Houston seems like a boogey man without a face. And if there is a face, it's usually Altuve (deserving).

No real point to my rambling. Just Yordan is awesome.

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

and as things stand in the National League right now...

the Dodgers' ALDS matchup would be against the Padres-Diamondbacks wildcard series winner

and those teams have both knocked out LAD in recent seasons
Padres have kicked their ass in the regular season too. DBacks lost the season series by just 1.
houag78
AG
To your point, from June 1 to Sep 1, the big man's slash was something like .346/.420/.657. On a full year basis (and that stretch was basically half a year) he would get 40+ HR and 110 RBI.
He has been killing it exactly when we needed it w King Tuck being out.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I don't know anything about Tommy Pham's character except that he once punched a teammate in the face about fantasy football.

Now that teammate was Joc Peterson, who I have also very much wanted to punch. And I have also wanted to punch people in the face about fantasy football. So no judgment.

I'm just saying Tommy Pham might not exactly be Justin Verlander.
tjack16
AG
Playoffs as it stands now

ALDS
1. Orioles vs Yankees/Twins wild card series winner
2. Guardians vs Astros/Royals wild card series winner

NLDS
1. Dodgers vs Padres/DBacks wild card series winner
2. Phillies vs Brewers/Braves wild card series winner
EastCoastAgNc
AG
spadilly
S
3-5 days. Then next series, then 3-5 more days, then he'll be jogging, then 3-5 more days…..wash, rinse, repeat.

Prosperdick
AG
Two weeks to flatten the shin.
Red Five
AG
The problem from a national perspective is that, as good as he is, his counting stats have never been amazing. Career high in homers is 37 and only topped 100+ RBI once. Ohtani has hit 40+ three times and is going to go 50/50 this year which is mind boggling. Judge has topped 50 HR 3 times and 60 once (maybe a second time this year), and piles up RBI as well. Those are easier stories to tell than advanced metrics for mainstream consumption. There's also the simple fact that he doesn't play in New York or LA.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I don't know anything about Tommy Pham's character except that he once punched a teammate in the face about fantasy football.

Now that teammate was Joc Peterson, who I have also very much wanted to punch. And I have also wanted to punch people in the face about fantasy football. So no judgment.

I'm just saying Tommy Pham might not exactly be Justin Verlander.
Joc was a Giant, Pham was a Red. Not teammates. Just FYI.

I think Pham is a psycho. But if he's on your team then he's your psycho.
Farmer1906
AG
Red Five said:

The problem from a national perspective is that, as good as he is, his counting stats have never been amazing. Career high in homers is 37 and only topped 100+ RBI once. Ohtani has hit 40+ three times and is going to go 50/50 this year which is mind boggling. Judge has topped 50 HR 3 times and 60 once (maybe a second time this year), and piles up RBI as well. Those are easier stories to tell than advanced metrics for mainstream consumption. There's also the simple fact that he doesn't play in New York or LA.
Fair point.

Yordan's postseason counting stacks are significantly better than Ohtani & Judges.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Red Five said:

Fair point.

Yordan's postseason counting stacks are significantly better than Ohtani & Judges.

How do you say "0" in Japanese?
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser
Farmer1906 said:

Red Five said:

Fair point.

I'm pretty sure Josh Reddick's postseason counting stats are better than Ohtani & Judge too...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Red Five said:

Fair point.

I'm pretty sure Josh Reddick's postseason counting stats are better than Ohtani & Judge too...
Josh Reddick is hitting 184 points higher than either Ohtani or Judge in the World Series.

Judge vs. Astros in 3 playoff series: .188 (13 for 69), 4 HR, 25 K
Beau Holder
AG
Fwiw that's literally pronounced "ze-ro" spelled in katakana, which is the alphabet the Japanese use for loanwords.

"Rei" is often how standard 0 is written and read. Though "zero" is used plenty colloquially.
Wabs
AG
Invited to Saturday's game to sit in one of the owner's boxes. What can I expect?
Mathguy64
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TarponChaser said:

Farmer1906 said:

Red Five said:

Fair point.

Josh Reddick is hitting 184 points higher than either Ohtani or Judge in the World Series.

Judge vs. Astros in 3 playoff series: .188 (13 for 69), 4 HR, 25 K
Martin Maldonado is hitting 225 points higher than either Ohtani or Judge in the World Series.
houag78
AG
The great thing about this whole Yordan thread is he's being compared to the two best players in MLB right now. I see both of those guys in HOF, and that's likely where YA is headed if he stays healthy. He's as pure a hitter as you'll ever see - just ask Altuve.
Honolulu Blue
This Tucker saga reminds me very much of the Spurs/Kawhi fiasco years ago. Constant flip-flopping on time tables for return. During the actual season, it was unclear if the player was giving lackluster rehab effort or if the medical and PR department of the organization had completely botched the situation. The saga persisting so long that at least one of those parties had to have messed up, because the discrepancy between expectations for return and reality became too glaring to ignore. Let's hope this doesn't end the same way.
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is how I feel about the JV situaiton.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is very interesting.

+Sliders
-Curves

Locate the slider away to RHH.

That simple... plus some luck.

First Page Last Page
Page 1592 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.