***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,275,417 Views | 60168 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Farmer1906
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly.

I'm usually not the type who wants to get the band back together. Bringing back Marwin and more recently Diaz was just silly. In this case, Neris is only 1 year removed from being very good. There is reason to thjnk being back here could help turn things around quickly.
wangus12
AG
07ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Haha. I remember staying off this thread when we were losing because it was just too much. I've gotten to where I stay off it during all games- win or lose.
exactly, just like, stay off the a&m football form entirely for a week after a loss. gets real toxic
Game threads in any sport tend to be the most overreactive, toxic places ever. TexAgs, Reddit all of them
bearkatag15
AG
E said:

I wonder if the Cubs just didnt use him right? He was used as their closer and think he's best as a set up man.

Has a very high WHIP compared to years past, but ERA is ok. Maybe he just needs a tweak and not be a closer?

There it is. In save situations he has a 6.26 ERA this year. In all other situations its a 1.29.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

I think he's be worth taking a chance on. He's almost free. We know what the ceiling is. We wouldn't need him for 6th/7th innings, not 8th or closing. Plus he's a great personality fit.
He's performing as good as Dubin is right now.

So sure, he's almost free, and if you're willing to use him in the Dubin/Ferguson role, then I'm ok with it. I guess you can go with maybe coming back to Houston helps him out, but it felt like riding the edge of a knife with him last year too.
Mathguy64
AG
If he's free, the worst that can happen is you treat him like Aledmys. If it doesn't work you cut him and have no sunk costs.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906
AG
The BlueJays won in just 7 of Kikuchi's starts. Astros have now won 4. I'd like to catch them in Sept.
Bag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Something in the Orange
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

CAN the Astros eventually have the best record in the AL? Absolutely. We have had the best record in baseball since what, early May? I see no reason why we can't. WILL the Astros do it tho? That remains to be seen. We just need to keep taking this one series at a time.
The Beef01
AG
Honestly (...and I'm stealing this idea from a Seattle radio station yesterday morning), given the way the season started for all of the contenders in the AL, plus the Astros, to all of the other AL contenders/Mariners, this is exactly how it must feel the discussions are going within the Astros organization...

...it must be so demoralizing.
Daddy-O5
AG
There's a lot of fair discussion about whether he's worth it or not. If he's cheap/free there's something in the water with our pitching staff right now....

But the first time he stormed off the field yelling at clouds after striking someone out I might pee myself a little.
agproducer
AG
Response to sad M's fan.

Farmer1906
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

There's a lot of fair discussion about whether he's worth it or not. If he's cheap/free there's something in the water with our pitching staff right now....

But the first time he stormed off the field yelling at clouds after striking someone out I might pee myself a little.
Booma94
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

CAN the Astros eventually have the best record in the AL? Absolutely. We have had the best record in baseball since what, early May? I see no reason why we can't. WILL the Astros do it tho? That remains to be seen. We just need to keep taking this one series at a time.
This is 100% correct. It's cliche, but you have to take it one series at a time and don't get too hung up on the outcome of any single game. In a 162 game season every player will have good games and bad- it's the entire body of work that's important.

Getting some guys back will go a long way to climbing the mountain to the top, but in fairness the run they're on has been without some very big pieces of the lineup in place.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07
AG
I wasn't keeping up during the game but was it discussed why was YK pulled last night?

IIRC he was at 80 something pitches with 2 outs and the lefty Masataka coming up.

Just thought it was odd timing.

Was the PHer announced after Scott was announced?
07ag
AG
Brad Lidge found a new hobby

https://dailycaller.com/2024/08/20/phillies-brad-lidge-archaeologist-italy/
https://ts.la/eric59704
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

I wasn't keeping up during the game but was it discussed why was YK pulled last night?

IIRC he was at 80 something pitches with 2 outs and the lefty Masataka coming up.

Just thought it was odd timing.

Was the PHer announced after Scott was announced?
He was at 98 I think.
07ag
AG

Since 2008, there have been 7 games that have started off with a first pitch home run and ended with a last pitch homerun. It has happened 3 times this year.
https://ts.la/eric59704
wangus12
AG
07ag said:

Brad Lidge found a new hobby

https://dailycaller.com/2024/08/20/phillies-brad-lidge-archaeologist-italy/
That's pretty awesome
_veeyah_
AG
Booma94 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This is 100% correct. It's cliche, but you have to take it one series at a time and don't get too hung up on the outcome of any single game. In a 162 game season every player will have good games and bad- it's the entire body of work that's important.

Getting some guys back will go a long way to climbing the mountain to the top, but in fairness the run they're on has been without some very big pieces of the lineup in place.

From a Fan point it can get pretty frustrating at times cus we don't see much emotion from them and the way they answer their questions with "it's just baseball sometimes" Hahah...... but they don't get really high when they're doing good and don't get down as a team when they're down. I think Yanier summarized it pretty good last night during his interview. He said they kept picking each other up staying positive, that it's still a long game that they were going to have more opportunities to do something. I think having all those guys being there before helps out a lot when stuff like this happens.

Even right now with all the injuries and with the experience they have I still think this team can battle anybody in the playoffs!
Honolulu Blue
He's looking for where the Pujols bomb landed
Mathguy64
AG
Honolulu Blue said:

Hes looking on the wrong planet.
iamtheglove
_veeyah_ said:

Man with all the b***hing we did this team was still able to pull off that win! This team really is #Relentless!! I really hope Doobie and or Chaz get going and our offense will look a lot better. We need to stop messing around and just leave Singleton at 1B, it's not great but lately he has been our best option.

Even though it was just a duck snort, it was great to see Chas get on and get home to tie it up. You could see the relief on his face and all his teammates were celebrating with him. Maybe that one little thing will help get his confidence back and get him going. We really need old Chas for this run to the finish.
ktownag08
AG
I dig it
FrioAg 00
AG
Surprised I didn't get takers at work for tonight's game - so anyone looking for 4 tonight claim them (first to post) and then PM me the email address you want them sent to

jkag89
ktownag08 said:

I dig it
bodaciousbood14
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Honolulu Blue said:

Hes looking on the wrong planet.
This is actually NASA's motivation for the next moon landing...they have to go get it back.
Faustus
I was perusing Red Sox reddit after last night's win and happened upon a fun thread about how much a poster hated the Astros and whether there was "any player other than Altuve that we hate more?" There was some agreement, but what followed wasn't what you'd expect:

https://www.reddit.com/r/redsox/comments/1ewjhdp/astros/?sort=confidence

Quote:

I've never had problems with Altuve, but something about Bregman makes me hate him more
Quote:

Do we hate Altuve? He's the only Astro I can tolerate. He's a really good ball player. I'm out of the loop, I guess.
Quote:

Funny because Altuve is probably the guy who didn't cheat.
Quote:

Yes! I've been more or less persuaded that Altuve didn't cheat, and Alex Cora definitely did. **** Bregman, **** Correa, but I don't get the Altuve hate.
Quote:

As long as Altuve keep owning Yankees. I have no problem with him
Quote:

Hard to hate a dude who is 5'6" and as good as him.
Quote:

I don't really hate the Astros for cheating. I hate them for continuing to be good for years and years and years after they were caught.
There was also a lot of Manny Machado hate. It was refreshing to read, although of course the Red Sox aren't well positioned to throw stones.
iamtheglove
BadAggie said:

MOOD

Mesmerizing
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yeah, that may have been a random moment for Chas, but given how much of his struggles have been mental in this deep of a slump/struggle, that one weak hit, SB, run, and relief smile could also be huge.

I would start him tonight and see what happens. It is not like you would be bumping a more deserving candidate from the lineup. If he goes Golden Sombrero, then it probably doesn't change much. If he finds a spark finally, it could be huge.
iamtheglove
Having been on the Astros season threads now for 5 years I have noticed some Universal Truths:

Farmer will always bring the numbers

The Travolta Off Day gif will always go blue with stars

Marvin really really dislikes Cintron

AOFA and TOFA deliver wins

W

likes to format

his posts with short phrases

and no punctuation
First Page Last Page
Page 1443 of 1720

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.