***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,274,862 Views | 60160 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Prosperdick
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

htxag09 said:

Didn't springer get a suspension when he used a "homohobic slur". Or that's what the mlb called it.

No I think he just got fined. It was directed at Angel Hernandez

BadAggie
AG
Up to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts if it wants to execute the Red Sox's best player.

It'll be interesting to see how importantly it upholds its most cherished beliefs.

iBrad
AG
The apologies are what's truly horrific. Just say, "I'm sorry for the language I used during today's game," and be done with it.
BadAggie
AG
Hornbeck said:

BadAggie said:

No. He's gonna face the death penalty in Massachusetts.

Just waterboarded at the local gay bar. The death penalty was outlawed in Mass.

Not for the most heinous crimes.
dixichkn
AG
Twisted Helix said:

I guess a no drama Astros game is a unicorn.
Just a reminder
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Can any of our resident insiders or stats nerds quantify what the hell has happened to Chas this year offensively (aside from he sucks)? The fall off has been incredibly drastic.
SECcess12
Pitching definitely hasn't been our problem overall (although bullpen definitely has been a concern at times). But if this team can hit consistently it becomes quite dangerous.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
Guaranteed a winning road trip at 5-1. Hoping for at least a 7-2 record though
Booma94
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Joey Loperfido update

Include strikeouts. The only response is 'woof'.
Booma94
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Can any of our resident insiders or stats nerds quantify what the hell has happened to Chas this year offensively (aside from he sucks)? The fall off has been incredibly drastic.
Not a stat nerd, but in layman's terms, he sucks.
TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

Not from a statistical perspective but he's pressing. He's chasing a lot of pitches, especially sliders away, that he didn't normally chase. Probably because he's been good at going oppo and he's trying to force his way back to hitting well. It's mental.
W
AG
the Astros have doubled their win total since Jose Abreu was sacked

from 31-38 to 62-55

31-17 record

that sparked the turnaround
W
AG
4 days ago ESPN ran an article titled:

"How the Mets went from laughingstock to contenders in two short months"

well, back to laughingstock after the no-show job in Seattle

W
AG
like clockwork...Bregman doing what he does in August:

OPS 1.097
Marvin
AG
W said:

like clockwork...Bregman doing what he does in August:

OPS 1.097

It's absolutely insane how consistent he is- how great he is in August, and not early in the season. Someone explain it to me, or more importantly, to Bregman (lol).
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
I'd extend Bregman. Not the 300M from before the season but offer him a great short term or a longer term with opt outs
Mr.Bond
AG
I think bregman is determined to leave
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

All I do is Nguyen
W
AG
the front office should be comfortable with offering the Q.O. now
The Porkchop Express
AG
If Bregman hadn't stepped up in Tucker's absence, this team would still be in Ranger Country.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Quo Vadis?
tjack16 said:

I'd extend Bregman. Not the 300M from before the season but offer him a great short term or a longer term with opt outs
I would give him 7 years, 180 million; with an opt out after year 3.
Farmer1906
AG
Since the magic balls went away Breggy has averaged 123 wRC+ over the last 5 seasons. His high was 136 in 2022 and low is currently 113 this season (trending up). This is age 26-30, his prime. I think we know who he is. That is fairly consistent from good to very good - no extended greatness after 2019.

I think we'll see a natural decline over the next 2-3 years and possibly a steeper on 3-4+. How much is a 115 wRC+ or top 60ish hitter worth? I could see 3/75, but the AAV needs to drop if we want more years. Maybe something like 5/100?
W
AG
and an opt out for the Astros in year 5
MaxPower
Quo Vadis? said:

tjack16 said:

I would give him 7 years, 180 million; with an opt out after year 3.
Nah, I'm good. I'm sure the Rockies will give him that contract though. Best of luck to him.
linkdude
AG
Yainer, get ready to learn first base, buddy
Mr.Bond
AG
Forrest Whitley has been dominant for Sugar Land in relief this year posting a 2.08 ERA in 21 games.

He's been ever better over his last 14 outings:

0.00 ERA | 14.2 IP | 4 BB | 17 K

#Astros #Relentless
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
AgLA06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Forrest Whitley has been dominant for Sugar Land in relief this year posting a 2.08 ERA in 21 games.

He's been ever better over his last 14 outings:

0.00 ERA | 14.2 IP | 4 BB | 17 K

#Astros #Relentless
That wouldn't suck if it finally became the new FW.
Harry Dunne
linkdude said:

Yainer, get ready to learn first base, buddy
IDK that it makes sense to turn him from a top-3 offensive catcher to a merely solid offensive first baseman, especially since he's above average defensively.

I'd love if he played both some to save his legs like Victor Martinez did but as even more of a premium has been put on calling a game and the defensive part of being a catcher, I don't see teams doing that much anymore. Least of all us.

I do think Breggy is gone and Dezenzo goes to 3b and Singleton needs to go to Korea so 1b will be open once again. It should theoretically be easier to find a solid option there than at catcher.
MaxPower
First, let's see if Janek becomes a big league catcher. Likely that's 2026 when he can come up and be a backup kind of guy. Second, if that happens, then either a trade of one or the other makes sense OR you need a lefty primary 1B to do some platooning.
W
AG
with regard to another Astros contract for Bregman...

remember that Yordan becomes a $26 MM player in 2026, and Javier becomes a $21 MM pitcher in 2026

throw in Hader, Lance, and Altuve...

and those 5 players combine for about $117 MM in payroll for the 2026 season

and where are Tucker and Framber?

Honolulu Blue
I think the gut reaction to move Yanier to first is based on the reality that the Astros played the last 1.5 out of 2 years with an all time bad player, and have settled on a rotation of below average offensive players sense.

I agree Yanier likely has more value as a catcher, but if Dezenzo doesn't pan out, that calculation may change.

If the stros could fill a 1B role from within the system while having a rotation at catcher, that's not a bad solution.

I'm first to admit I don't know what the pipeline at 1B is looking like, but again, if Dezenzo doesn't pan out, Yanier rotating DH/1B/catcher seems like a not bad option for his health and the good of the team.
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
First Page Last Page
Page 1359 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.