***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,072,658 Views | 56902 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Philip J Fry
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kikuchi had a good start...but tap the brakes

did anyone actually look at Tampa's lineup tonight?

top 3 OPS hitters:

Lowe at .855
Yandy at .730
Morel at .688

everyone else is below .660

it's White Sox level bad after the trade deadline
AggiEE
W said:

top 3 OPS hitters:

Lowe at .855
Yandy at .730
Morel at .688

Still managed to get dicey with our relief pitchers
BCEDAg
AG
Mariners winning 9-0 and offense has perked up since they made deals getting Arozerena and Turner. If we're going to win the West it will come down to our pitching hopefully as our offense seems to be stagnant without Tucker.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick
AG
Watching the Pete Rose documentary series on HBO and man it's hard not to think of Altuve when watching it, especially how much they booed Pete on the road and how he was never the most athletic or strongest guy but he just wanted it more than anyone else.

Hopefully the HOF puts both of them in.
All I do is Nguyen
Extend Breggy as the pitching coach??

Beau Holder
AG
W said:

top 3 OPS hitters:

Lowe at .855
Yandy at .730
Morel at .688

Looks like ours no?
gambochaman
AG
I ask jobu to come wake up the bats
Farmer1906
AG
JPN06
Beau Holder said:

The fault of the bats is that they were 24th in slugging and OBP in July and he got brought into a number of tie games that didn't have to be that way.
The bats have no relevance on the performance of a high-leverage reliever. Hader gets paid to pitch in close games.

This is not 1987 Nolan getting robbed of a CYA because the bats sucked. This is a guy who has sucked in a lot of tied games.

Sure, our record would be better if the bats had been better. But that doesn't have anything to do with Hader's pitching. If our bats had been better, we'd have won those tied games he pitched in, but good offenses still have tied games and he'd still get brought into them.

It's a dumb argument to say he's been mediocre because he hasn't gotten run support.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The yankees rubbed off on them
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Gonna be an interesting follow start to start. As W said, Rays didn't put out the most formidable lineup. I am not criticizing that, since it's a nice way to ease him into a "new" approach on the mound.

redline248
AG
... and since we had the Joey watch going after he started 2 for 2...naturally, he struck out the next 3 times.
Faustus
JPN06 said:

Beau Holder said:

The fault of the bats is that they were 24th in slugging and OBP in July and he got brought into a number of tie games that didn't have to be that way.
The bats have no relevance on the performance of a high-leverage reliever. Hader gets paid to pitch in close games.

This is not 1987 Nolan getting robbed of a CYA because the bats sucked. This is a guy who has sucked in a lot of tied games.

Sure, our record would be better if the bats had been better. But that doesn't have anything to do with Hader's pitching. If our bats had been better, we'd have won those tied games he pitched in, but good offenses still have tied games and he'd still get brought into them.

It's a dumb argument to say he's been mediocre because he hasn't gotten run support.

He's been disappointing for sure.

His WHIP is better than last year at 1.000 to 1.101 (before tonight), but he's already given up 13 more earned runs (8v21) and triple the amount of home runs (3v9) in 8.1 less innings. If he's perfect his next 8 outings he's still far underperforming last season and his contract.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/haderjo01.shtml

We've had worse free agent signings though recently. Hader at least has a modestly positive WAR and his ERA+ is exactly league average prior to tonight, so we've got that going for us.
txags92
AG
redline248 said:

... and since we had the Joey watch going after he started 2 for 2...naturally, he struck out the next 3 times.
Meh…he is 3/10 with a triple, 2 runs scored and 5 strikeouts in 2 games. We have a couple of our OFs who would happily take those numbers compared to their own recent performances. Still striking out too much, but he is a rookie, so that isn't unexpected.
Beau Holder
AG
You care way more about this than I do. Let me be clear about what I said: He's converted every save after the first one; he's oddly sucked in non-save situations; we're in more close games than we should be because the offense sucks ass. One thing I never said: he sucks because the offense sucks.

I'm annoyed by the offense sucking ass. You're annoyed the most apparently about Hader. That's fine. We all want the team to win. Let's hope everyone stops sucking.
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

1 for 34 is wild.
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggiEE

Hope we hear a lot more of Lisa Loeb at home

cc10106
Yeah I don't wanna hear that after ever K.
AggiEE
cc10106 said:

Yeah I don't wanna hear that after ever K.

You will and you'll love it
cc10106
Oddly fitting considering it's from a soundtrack of a 30 year old movie set in Houston.
Prosperdick
AG
Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

1 for 34 is wild.
Those are Jose Abreu numbers....well, close.
txislandag86
cc10106 said:

Oddly fitting considering it's from a soundtrack of a 30 year old movie set in Houston.
MaxPower
Hey 2015, why we moving this guy off 3rd?

BMX Bandit
409Texag said:

Good news is he can only get better from here

Nailed it!
BMX Bandit
anyone know Haders whip & era in save v non-save situations?
Bobcat-Ag
MaxPower said:

Hey 2015, why we moving this guy off 3rd?

Looks like we have a Bregman replacement for next year
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Dr. Doctor
AG
txislandag86 said:

cc10106 said:

It hasn't been 30 years. That came out like....2-3 years ago.

Right?
JPN06
Beau Holder said:

You care way more about this than I do. Let me be clear about what I said: He's converted every save after the first one; he's oddly sucked in non-save situations; we're in more close games than we should be because the offense sucks ass. One thing I never said: he sucks because the offense sucks.

I'm annoyed by the offense sucking ass. You're annoyed the most apparently about Hader. That's fine. We all want the team to win. Let's hope everyone stops sucking.
True.

I'm more annoyed with Hader because of his salary and the expectations that he came in with.

I expect our offense to struggle. We are missing our best hitter and on any given night we are starting 3 or 4 guys that should not be everyday players.
All I do is Nguyen
Well we had good Kuchi last night. We need our bats to wake TF up
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Because Zach Dezenzo exists
First Page Last Page
Page 1272 of 1626

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.