***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,469 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by txags92
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Why couldn't we have made this deal?

Canha sucks

Not vs LHP.

Extremely nich need, probably adequately served by someone like Dubon

Then why does Singleton have 63 PA with a wRC+ of 40 vs LHP. Dubon only has 31 PA at 1B.
Sex Panther
AG
Tigers may have overplayed their hand but the Dodgers played it perfectly - and we panicked and got fleeced. Wow.

Not gonna pretend I know a lot about those Dodger prospects, but on paper they don't look like much.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Players have to be pissed about how this deadline went. Hopefully it doesn't show on the field...
Yes, I too hope they are professionals and realize they have guys coming back from injury while they still have a **** ton to play for. I have hope they aren't crying about it.

If this team folds because of these deadline moves, then I am for real when I say this: get rid of them all.
tjack16
AG
I just can't really say that our team got much better than it was before these moves. Especially if guys don't return to injuries the way they think they will.
BadAggie
AG
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

This is the type of deal a Click makes. I don't like the Astros don't seem to be as shrewd as they have been in the past.
CFTXAG10
AG
Nobody really dealt a big bat at the deadline
Beat40
tjack16 said:

I just can't really say that our team got much better than it was before these moves. Especially if guys don't return to injuries the way they think they will.
You weren't going far into the postseason if they don't return anyway, no matter who you could afford with the Astros current farm system.

That's the reality of the situation the Astros have been in.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

This is the type of deal a Click makes. I don't like the Astros don't seem to be as shrewd as they have been in the past.

We used to be one of the smartest teams. We've fallen so far. This is why I wished we just went all in. Buy everyone you can for the next 2 years. Do all you can to get another title. Then do a reset with a new front office but that's unlikely with Jim Crane aka Jerry Jones.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Players have to be pissed about how this deadline went. Hopefully it doesn't show on the field...
Yes, I too hope they are professionals and realize they have guys coming back from injury while they still have a **** ton to play for. I have hope they aren't crying about it.

If this team folds because of these deadline moves, then I am for real when I say this: get rid of them all.

Do you not remember how the team played like crap in August of 2017 and how keuchel openly blasted lunhow for doing nothing? It happens.
Beat40
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Not every deadline can be the homerun, get Verlander, Johnson, or Greinke kind of year.

But you hope to at least make moderate moves where you can say your team is better after the deadline.

I don't know that I can say that. And that feels deflating while others just got a morale boost in the arm.
I will say this: if Kikuchi and Ferguson allow some of the young arms and overused arms to take some pitches off, then these moves absolutely, 100% make this year's team better.

The problem is it depends on guys to come back from injury, but the Astros were going to have to do that anyway.

After this year, I don't know.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SpaceCityAg05
AG
For all of the years of this run, we were smart and when we made moves, even if you didn't understand them at first glance, you felt comfortable that they were smart - someone in our org knew something.

Now it feels the opposite. I have no confidence in decision making anymore. Dana Brown may be a better talent evaluator than Ed Wade, but it is starting to feel like the Ed Wade days where you immediately suspect any move we make might have been unwise or mishandled.
Sher Thing
AG
Damn. So Jon at 1B the rest of the way and no high leverage relief help? Don't think this team has much of a chance.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
And next year is part of it.

The previous front office groups were smart to look more than one move ahead. Make moves that set up future success as well.

I started thinking last night about next year's roster and got queasy. Yeah, we may clear 75-90 million off the books pre-raises, but I don't feel confident at all about our ability to use that wisely. And if not, we will fall further.

And if you can't compete, then we should have just gone for it now.

In the offseason, we will back where we were at the deadline, minus Bregman, minus Verlander, etc. and now will have a weaker farm system (minus Bloss, Loperfido, and Wagner) with which to address it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Beat40 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Do you not remember how the team played like crap in August of 2017 and how keuchel openly blasted lunhow for doing nothing? It happens.
That was a team of young guys who tasted some success in 2015 and felt he let down and failure in 2016. That team and this team are completely different. They have a ton in front of them to play for and they are mature. It's the reason they rebounded from the horrid start to the season.

Again, if this team folds because of this deadline, then good riddance.
MaxPower
Yeah these guys aren't fragile. They've been there done that. They also know we have a lot of guys hurt, some of whom should be back in short order.
tjack16
AG
So what happens if Singleton gets hurt or takes an insane dip? Who's the backup first basemen?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Diaz?
Farmer1906
AG
Cabbage, Hummel, Kessinger, Dubon.
texasaggie2015
AG
Word is Tampa Bay wanted Melton AND Matthews along with one or two other prospects. Not sure who. We were never going to do that and hoped the asking price would come down, but it never did.

I agree with what some said above. I always thought Canha made a ton of sense for what we need.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Have they played any of them at first base yet? Besides Dubon.
Ag_07
AG
Some of y'all are acting like this team is dead in the water.

They're in 1st place with 2 months to go. There's a division title to win.

Time to man the fck up.
redline248
AG
So are those Dodgers prospects better than Joey and Bloss?

I'm not super thrilled with our plan at 1B vs LHP.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Have they played any of them at first base yet? Besides Dubon.

All have in AAA.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Procedural move
MaxPower
redline248 said:

So are those Dodgers prospects better than Joey and Bloss?

I'm not super thrilled with our plan at 1B vs LHP.
Detroit may think so but we will never know. I would feel a lot better about Kikuchi if the deal was today before the deadline ended. At least then it would appear Dana waited it out as long as he could. Candidly if someone was paying more I'd just tell the Jays bravo they should take it.
Farmer1906
AG
I think that means the earliest he can come back now is Aug 7th. That wasn't happening anyway.
All I do is Nguyen
Faustus
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm hoping we can get a Switzer championship now that Crane has marginalized the GM position before the window closes on this run.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yep you're correct
cc10106
Tampa got greedy. Glad we told em no thanks.
First Page Last Page
Page 1240 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.