***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,279,298 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by txags92
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
still pissed about joey
E
AG
People need to quit with this whole innings eater narative.

He would be DEAD LAST on this team in average innings per start if it weren't for Arrighetti and JP France being forced to start games for us this year.

He has pitched 115.2 innings in 22 starts... which is 5.24 innings per start. Guess what his career innings per start is? 5.2

His WHIP is 1.34 this year. His career? 1.37

We traded away a top draft pick from last year (quit saying Bloss was a AA pitcher, he just turned 23 and barely a full year as a pro player) and our Tucker replacement for next year to get a 3 month rental on a pitcher who equates to a less then average Hunter Brown.
gigemJTH12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

lol Schwab

LMAO. hate this guy
SpaceCityAg05
AG
If we somehow trade for Yandy without giving up our entire farm system, I wonder if we would be able to get a package including Shawn Armstrong as a depth reliever. Obviously, Fairbanks is too expensive, but we could use another middle reliever that doesn't break the bank.
Farmer1906
AG
Why do we need to replace Tucker next year? If/when we do have some options in Cabbage, Leon, Melton, Baez, Kole, Corona, & Barber. All ranked in our top 20.
AggiEE
SpaceCityAg05 said:

If we somehow trade for Yandy without giving up our entire farm system, I wonder if we would be able to get a package including Shawn Armstrong as a depth reliever. Obviously, Fairbanks is too expensive, but we could use another middle reliever that doesn't break the bank.

Given the quality decision making by Brown on trades, I hope we don't get Yandy

I bet Brown has read this cover to cover multiple times

Ag_07
AG
Man some of y'all need to go break into your wife's chill pills or go eat a gummy or something.
Big Al 1992
AG
If we are still trying to get Yandy that's where Joey and Wagner could've been throw ins to make the deal. Not for rental pitcher.
AustinCountyAg
This. Not to mention if we are out of it next year you deal Tucker at the deadline for a haul if we don't lock him down
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man some of y'all need to go break into your wife's chill pills or go eat a gummy or something.
Seriously. This is absolutely insane.
gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

I mean if there is a time to ***** and complain on Texags this is it.

universally agreed upon as a really terrible trade. from a farm that is already one of the worst in the bigs.

Dynasty is over. Need to win it this year and call it a good run.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dynasty is over because of this one trade????

Come on people.
Ag_07
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

If we are still trying to get Yandy that's where Joey and Wagner could've been throw ins to make the deal. Not for rental pitcher.

But at the same time pitching was priority #1.

And now Joey is just a throw in?
Big Al 1992
AG
Compare Toronto manager quote to what Dana and Joe said about the trade.

"I love what we got," manager John Schneider said. "Again, Kikuchi, it's tough to say goodbye because he's just a great dude, but I'm really excited with what we got back for him. Loperfido is a dude we've seen recently and he's got a really, really bright future. Bloss, you can pencil him into what we're doing going forward and we'll take another bloodline guy in Wagner. I really like what we did and it shows we're going to get after it next year."

Bloss may be pitching this week for Toronto.
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Come on people.
because of this one trade? no. but its obviously been coming to a close.

I dont believe they will pay Bregs or Tucker.

we have no one in the farm.

pitching staff isnt WS caliber anymore.

writing is on the wall.
SECcess12
texasaggie2015 said:

Come on people.
That's what the other thread thinks. I just laughed. We depleted an already depleted farm system. Its over guys.
gigemJTH12
AG
the one trade doesnt end the dynasty.

but its just another piece of proof that Dana is not the guy.

If this dynasty was going to stay alive after this season we would need a wizard of a GM to pull it off.

pretty clear we dont
texasaggie2015
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

If this dynasty was going to stay alive after this season we would need a wizard of a GM to pull it off.

pretty clear we dont
I know I'm beating a dead horse but you guys strongly overestimate how much free reign he has and underestimate just how much Jim Crane calls the shots behind the scenes.
Ags #1
AG
Jerry Jones 2.0, next year maybe he will just name himself GM
gigemJTH12
AG
okay....then we are screwed for that reason.

pick your poison.

do you think that makes this any better or any less proof that the astros of the last decade are over with???
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

pretty clear we dont
I know I'm beating a dead horse but you guys strongly overestimate how much free reign he has and underestimate just how much Jim Crane calls the shots behind the scenes.

Brown made this deal happen and signed off on it, he has plenty of free reign when it comes to trades
texasaggie2015
AG
How do you know that? Because that's literally the opposite of every other trade that's happened the last couple years.
Bonnettecj1
texasaggie2015 said:

Come on people.

I think a lot of factors go into this meltdown. It feels like a trade that would be made by Uncle Drayton in the dying breaths of the '97-2005 run.

I think there's frustration that Dana Brown almost feels like he's not ready for the savvy GM role. I think there's a lot more frustration with Crane than people would like to admit and it's thrown at the feet of Bagwell.
3B Paul 97
AG
I don't see how we make another move. Teams will see what we gave up for a mediocre rental and will expect similar as a worst case.

I hope I am wrong and we can get a at least a platoon option at 1B.
tylhair
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

pretty clear we dont
Whether it is Dana failing us or Crane failing us- it is all the same.

Crane let Luhnow run the show because he had a plan and inspired confidence that he could implement it.

Crane may never let anyone have that power again, due to the backlash of the sign stealing scandal and other negative heat generated during Luhnow's tenure.

Click was a great continuation, though hard to earnestly evaluate due to what he inherited.

To your point, ta2015, maybe Dana would do well with more decision power. But he clearly doesn't have it and I doubt he gets imbued with control at any point moving forward.

Therefore, Dana is not the guy. I'm not sure Crane will ever again let there be "a guy." That is a problem because him and his brain trust do not know how to run an elite baseball team alone.
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

How do you know that? Because that's literally the opposite of every other trade that's happened the last couple years.

You think Crane is the guy on the phones calling teams and discussing specific players?
Daddy-O5
AG
3B Paul 97
AG
tylhair said:

texasaggie2015 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

pretty clear we dont
Whether it is Dana failing us or Crane failing us- it is all the same.

Crane let Luhnow run the show because he had a plan and inspired confidence that he could implement it.

Crane may never let anyone have that power again, due to the backlash of the sign stealing scandal and other negative heat generated during Luhnow's tenure.

Click was a great continuation, though hard to earnestly evaluate due to what he inherited.

To your point, ta2015, maybe Dana would do well with more decision power. But he clearly doesn't have it and I doubt he gets imbued with control at any point moving forward.

Therefore, Dana is not the guy. I'm not sure Crane will ever again let there be "a guy." That is a problem because him and his brain trust do not know how to run an elite baseball team alone.

Yep. Seems like a Jerry Jones vibe here.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Farmer1906 said:

Who has a 5+ ERA in this scenario?
Kikuchi in the majority of his seasons. He has one good year pulling down the career era to slightly below 5. In his most recent 15 starts he has an era of 5.8.

So he doesn't have a 5 ERA this year, or last year, or his career, and the #s show he should have a lower ERA moving forward yet he's a 5+ ERA guy. Ok.
are you serious with this? that's obnoxious. youre the embodiment of this meme

In the majority of his career he has had a 5 era. He has an outlier bringing down the average.
Ag_07
AG
Except no one said we were or expected us to make a splash.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
W said:

the key point was made above

Bloss and Wagner should have been enough to get Kikuchi

then if Dana doesn't like Loperfido...use him to net another player

3 players for a 2-month rental (and his 4.75 ERA) is crazy

This is where I'm at. If they don't take the deal for those two find the best pitcher you can for those two.

I agree Joey isn't great but he is good and I preferred seeing him play than Chaz and Trey.

It wasn't that individually they were too good to trade but it's that it was just too much for a single rental
texasaggie2015
AG
That's exactly what happened with the JV trade last year. The only input Dana Brown had was he was able to give his opinion on which prospects to include.

Jim Crane negotiated the deal with Hader this past offseason. It had very little to do with Dana Brown.

Going back before that, Jim Crane stepped in and stopped Click from making several moves.

Nothing gets done without Crane's approval. Brown had to convince him to sign off on the Caratini signing.
MaxPower
AggiEE said:

texasaggie2015 said:

You think Crane is the guy on the phones calling teams and discussing specific players?
Seems more like Crane says get us a SP or your ass is fired. At that point he did whatever he had to do for self preservation.
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

That's exactly what happened with the JV trade last year. The only input Dana Brown had was he was able to give his opinion on which prospects to include.

Jim Crane negotiated the deal with Hader this past offseason. It had very little to do with Dana Brown.

Going back before that, Jim Crane stepped in and stopped Click from making several moves.

Nothing gets done without Crane's approval. Brown had to convince him to sign off on the Caratini signing.

JV was a special circumstance given his relationship with Crane (plus ability to veto) and that was a good trade.

Crane may be calling shots on what needs to get done

He's absolutely not making lower level decisions on who we are giving up, other than signing off on the deal in total
texasaggie2015
AG
Okay then. Maybe you know something I don't.
First Page Last Page
Page 1227 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.