***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,273,811 Views | 60153 Replies | Last: 55 sec ago by Wabs
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the key point was made above

Bloss and Wagner should have been enough to get Kikuchi

then if Dana doesn't like Loperfido...use him to net another player

3 players for a 2-month rental (and his 4.75 ERA) is crazy
AustinCountyAg
We traded a AA pitcher for a proven MLB starter who could eat some innings and save the depleted bp. I'd say it was an upgrade in that regards. Bloss never went more than 4 innings in his three big league starts.
Bogey1996
MaxPower said:

I would have just stood pat, that was my thought on Flaherty as well. If you think your guys are better than others are valuing them then just stand pat.
This reeks of desperation and making a trade just to make a trade.
YZ250
Me too. And what you are saying is that a "change in scenery" might do him so good.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

We traded a AA pitcher for a proven MLB starter who could eat some innings and save the depleted bp. I'd say it was an upgrade in that regards. Bloss never went more than 4 innings in his three big league starts.
Im not saying he's a good pitcher, Im saying we need arms and this trade doesnt add any. We traded a junk inning caliber pitcher who wont make the post season roster and got a junk inning caliber pitcher who wont make the post season roster.
Longhorn Nation
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

That said, after sleeping on it, I'm going to let it all play out. It seems like Houston got fleeced but there's really no way to know until a couple years down the road. There's a chance one or two of these kids turn out to be really good big leaguers.. but there's also a chance they never really pan out
even if none of the three turn out good, this was still a terrible trade. they could have been used as trade pieces for other deals.

My problem with the trade is that I just don't want Kikuchi and I don't think we'll have to wait 2 years to figure that out. Sure, he has a nice K/IP but he's a losing pitcher that has a subpar career ERA that seems to be going thru the worst stretch of his career. And the cherry on top . . . he's a rental.

If Kikuchi was down in Sugar Land, I'd be okay calling him up but to give up any value at all for him is ridiculous. I really hope D.Brown got shot down by DET (for Flaherty) before making this panic move. While I like Joey, I'm eager to see what Leon can do + maybe this is an indication Tucker is due back soon.
W
AG
and for folks calling Kikuchi an "innings eater"...

what is your definition of innings eater?

since June 11th he's only gone past the 5th inning...twice in 9 starts
Ag_07
AG
Not really.

What I'm saying is an elite defensive team can get him more outs that a bottom 1/3 defensive team and thus we should expect a positive regression that's more in line with his peripheral stats.
YZ250
So he's well rested.
tylhair
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I think I just disagree with most of the board with these prospects.

Before I'm accused of being a know it all, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying I disagree.

I'm not very high on Joey. Dude is a great athlete, but he has a pretty big hole in his swing and I think it's entirely possible the big league coaches evaluated him and decided there was only so much they can do.

Jake Bloss has a fairly high floor in my opinion. And years of control. That's certainly valuable, but there's a handful of guys in the system who will be up soon who are pretty similar guys (if not better). That said, I know Dana really liked him at one point.

I really don't think Will Wagner will ever be more than a utility guy (and that's best case).

Do I love the trade? Hell no. I'm not a fan at all.

But... all that to say, I think all the doom and gloom is a slight overreaction at the end of the day. I'm just going to enjoy the next couple months of baseball and let it all play out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Leon can do.

My dissatisfaction is not only about this overpay, but what it reveals about the Dana Brown/Jim Crane regime. It is another data point indicating our organization is no longer in safe, capable hands.
Booma94
AG
Wabs said:

So we adding a bat today? Do we have anything of value that we're willing to part with for a bat?
They have Kikuchi- I hear he's worth a haul.
3B Paul 97
AG
Can we move Dana to draft coordinator since that is his strength? Bring back Lunhow for trades.

I know it is not realistic.
W
AG
if the rotation holds...

Kikuchi first 3 starts should be against the Rays, Red Sox, and White Sox
MaxPower
YZ250 said:

So he's well rested.
Its not that he's physically incapable, it's that you don't want him going deep. 3rd time through the order batters have a .942 OPS this year.
AustinCountyAg
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Im not saying he's a good pitcher, Im saying we need arms and this trade doesnt add any. We traded a junk inning caliber pitcher who wont make the post season roster and got a junk inning caliber pitcher who wont make the post season roster.

You might want to rethink that. Say the Astros have to play wildcard series. Kikuchi could be starting game 1 of the next series if it goes three games as it stands right now.
Cynic
Quote:

My dissatisfaction is not only about this overpay, but what it reveals about the Dana Brown/Jim Crane regime. It is another data point indicating our organization is no longer in safe, capable hands.

Yep, all signs point to the Astros falling into the cellar with this regime as Luhnow's players fade out.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

AustinCountyAg said:

You might want to rethink that. Say the Astros have to play wildcard series. Kikuchi could be starting game 1 of the next series if it goes three games as it stands right now.
I honestly cant say I prefer to have a guy with a 5 era starting that game any more than i prefer having a guy with a sub 2 AA era starting that game. If either of them is starting a playoff game its a glaring indictment of Brown. Bloss is just as helpful to this team as kikuchi- in that neither of them are helpful to this team other than to rest quality starters.
Farmer1906
AG
Who has a 5+ ERA in this scenario?
AustinCountyAg
I wish we were all *****ing about Dana signing Bauer instead of us *****ing about a trade for Kikuchi
Farmer1906
AG
lol Schwab

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Kikuchi in the majority of his seasons. He has one good year pulling down the career era to slightly below 5. In his most recent 15 starts he has an era of 5.8.
Marvin
AG
Outside perspective:

ESPN: Astros C+, Jays C+
Sporting News: Astros D, Jays A+
Bleacher Report: Astros C, Jays A
Yahoo: Astros (overpay), Jays (good haul)
Fansided: Astros D, Jays A+
Fox Sports: Astros C+, Jays A+

So, after a quick glance it appears that pundits agree with our opinion- Brown got fleeced.

I would grade it a pass if the Astros make it to the ALCS, but anything less is a bust. My biggest issue is that one more prospect thrown in might have returned a much better player, or one without an expiring contract. This just seems like a waste of resources no matter what we think of those resources individually. The team only has so many with any value and Brown gave them away.

BCEDAg
AG
I absolutely have no faith that Dana will pull off a trade to land a first baseman today (Yandy). I'm sure the asking price will be high and besides that who does Dana have to use as trade capital?
On top of that Montero is still here.
AggiEE

Farmer1906 said:

Kikuchi in the majority of his seasons. He has one good year pulling down the career era to slightly below 5. In his most recent 15 starts he has an era of 5.8.

Even in his all star year he has an era north of 4 lol

Must have been a bad second half …
RO519
AG
Lmao. Tough look getting exposed using ChatGPT for your tweets.
Farmer1906
AG

Farmer1906 said:

So he doesn't have a 5 ERA this year, or last year, or his career, and the #s show he should have a lower ERA moving forward yet he's a 5+ ERA guy. Ok.
AustinCountyAg

Farmer1906 said:

you might want to look at his stats again

19-5.46
20-(only 9 starts) 5.17
21-4.41
22-5.19
23-3.86
24-4.75
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

So he doesn't have a 5 ERA this year, or last year, or his career, and the #s show he should have a lower ERA moving forward yet he's a 5+ ERA guy. Ok.

His numbers show he has a 4.75 ERA, roughly his career average….

Round up to 5
Ag_07
AG
And what's this talk of YK not being on a playoff roster?

I think he absolutely is on the playoff roster. Either as a 4th starter in a 7 game series or a lefty out of the pen.

Hell he may take Montero's playoff spot.
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Round up to 5

If you wanna have a low level conversation, you do you.
Farmer1906
AG
**** NY

AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Round up to 5

If you want to think he's just been getting unlucky for his entire career and Astros will have massively better output than what he's shown, that's what we call hopium…
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Round up to 5

If you want to think he's just been getting unlucky for his entire career and Astros will have massively better output than what he's shown, that's what we call hopium…

Show me where I said that. I think the rest of this year is probably going to mirror last year & similar the expected #s. What he did 3-4 years ago has little relevance since he's changed some things. A less drastic version of Brown adding a sinker. Brown in April ain't the Brown in July no matter how much you cry about ERA.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Round up to 5

Show me where I said that. I think the rest of this year is probably going to mirror last year & similar the expected #s. What he did 3-4 years ago has little relevance since he's changed some things. A less drastic version of Brown adding a sinker. Brown in April ain't the Brown in July no matter how much you cry about ERA.

Again, hopium.

Look I hope that happens too…but I'm not gonna be surprised if he gets lit up in most of his starts and we start wondering why Bloss couldn't fill that role instead…
Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Round up to 5

Again, hopium.

Look I hope that happens too…but I'm not gonna be surprised if he gets lit up in most of his starts and we start wondering why Bloss couldn't fill that role instead…

Make sure you say Farmer was right… again when he's solid.
First Page Last Page
Page 1226 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.