***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,207,265 Views | 58973 Replies | Last: 45 min ago by EastCoastAgNc
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wabs said:

I'll be interested to see what somebody has to give up to get Flaherty.
Doyers will get him for a Reese's and a bag of popcorn along with cash considerations
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bag
AG
so... trying to find a silver lining, trading the heir apparent of Bregman might mean we are signing Bregman to an extension?
MaxPower
Wagner was not going to replace Bregman. We have better options internally
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bag said:

so... trying to find a silver lining, trading the heir apparent of Bregman might mean we are signing Bregman to an extension?

You'd have to be under the influence of heavy narcotics h to find any silver lining in such a disproportionate return for this guy.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bag said:

Wagner was never going to replace Bregman. He's a poor third baseman. He probably projects as a second baseman and/or first baseman if he makes the show.

That said, after sleeping on it, I'm going to let it all play out. It seems like Houston got fleeced but there's really no way to know until a couple years down the road. There's a chance one or two of these kids turn out to be really good big leaguers.. but there's also a chance they never really pan out.

Only time will tell. Until then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Let's see if they can snag one more piece today.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

That said, after sleeping on it, I'm going to let it all play out. It seems like Houston got fleeced but there's really no way to know until a couple years down the road. There's a chance one or two of these kids turn out to be really good big leaguers.. but there's also a chance they never really pan out
even if none of the three turn out good, this was still a terrible trade. they could have been used as trade pieces for other deals.

Ag_07
AG
Bag said:

Again...We as fans overvalue these guys.
tjack16
AG
Bag said:

Don't think that was ever Wagner. It's Dezenzo if it's anybody internal
E
AG
Alright guys, I've had a night to think about it
E
AG
And I'm still pissed
AustinCountyAg
AggiEE said:

BadAggie said:

If the future depended on Bloss, Loperfido, and Wagner we were already fckked.

It stacks up

They may not be all stars, but Bloss could be a cheap #3 starter with years of control. Loperfido would be useful if Tucker is gone

Having quality players, even if not elite, that makes a well rounded club, especially when cheap, is how you win championships and keep the momentum going
my gosh. Bloss has appeared in three total games in his mlb career and sports an almost 7 era. Before this summer 98% of every Astros fan around didn't even know who the **** he was. The amount of crying over this trade is insane. He very well could be a good mlb arm one day, but at the same time we have other pitchers in MiLB who project as the same caliber of pitchers. We did t trade away the Astros version of Paul Skenes here.

As far as Joey goes I hate seeing him leave because he seemed to be a spark plug defensively. But again. Not like he is some highly touted prospect. He's just a dude who got a chance this year because he got hot AF in the minors early on.

Yes, we gave up a lot it appears for a rental, but we won't know for a while. The reality is we need starting pitching and this trade provided it. Gotta gamble sometimes.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Bag said:

Wagner was never going to replace Bregman. He's a poor third baseman. He probably projects as a second baseman and/or first baseman if he makes the show.

That said, after sleeping on it, I'm going to let it all play out. It seems like Houston got fleeced but there's really no way to know until a couple years down the road. There's a chance one or two of these kids turn out to be really good big leaguers.. but there's also a chance they never really pan out.

Only time will tell. Until then, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Let's see if they can snag one more piece today.
Agreed. Except the last part, I think I'm good on trades this year. The only one left that's a fit is Yandy and I can't imagine us beating out other teams with him being the last bat available.
tjack16
AG
Don't think we make any other moves today. I also don't really see what else you can give up prospect wise unless you throw Chas in a 1 for 1 deal for a bullpen guy
texasaggie2015
AG
You don't think they tried?

The honest truth of the matter is that we have a really thin farm system.
MaxPower
Not sure Chas is an option with Joey having been traded. Maybe the Angels are interested for Ward since Chas is cheaper and has more control?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The only way I can make the trade make sense is that Jim Crane himself called up Toronto and made the deal, not knowing nor caring how uneven the trade was. He called them up, asked what they wanted, and gave it to them without negotiating. That's the only way this makes sense.
BMX Bandit
texasaggie2015 said:

of course they tried. nothing suggests I don't think they tried.

having a thin farm system is not reason to give away 3 players for someone like kikuchi.

hopefully leon comes up and starts raking.
MaxPower

I would have just stood pat, that was my thought on Flaherty as well. If you think your guys are better than others are valuing them then just stand pat.
Bobcat-Ag
texasaggie2015 said:

Bag said:

I think the real bonus here is 40 man roster flexibility. We were crunched on space and now we have an open spot. Could be required for an upcoming move or a return from the 60 day IL.
agdaddy04
AG
The point he's making is that we as fans are assuming those pieces should have pulled a better return but that's Apparently not reality.
texasaggie2015
AG
I think I just disagree with most of the board with these prospects.

Before I'm accused of being a know it all, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying I disagree.

I'm not very high on Joey. Dude is a great athlete, but he has a pretty big hole in his swing and I think it's entirely possible the big league coaches evaluated him and decided there was only so much they can do.

Jake Bloss has a fairly high floor in my opinion. And years of control. That's certainly valuable, but there's a handful of guys in the system who will be up soon who are pretty similar guys (if not better). That said, I know Dana really liked him at one point.

I really don't think Will Wagner will ever be more than a utility guy (and that's best case).

Do I love the trade? Hell no. I'm not a fan at all.

But... all that to say, I think all the doom and gloom is a slight overreaction at the end of the day. I'm just going to enjoy the next couple months of baseball and let it all play out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Leon can do.
Chef Elko
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Sure they tried, doesn't mean they cant walk away from negotiations when the other team is twisting their arm.
tjack16
AG
I'll be okay with letting Loperfido go if one of the following happens (or 2/3)

1. Tucker comes back this season
2. Pedro Leon plays well while called up
3. Chas turns it around
Mr.Bond
AG
It's principal man..... we gave up 2 top 10 prospects for a journeyman rental....... absolutely inexcusable
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Wabs said:

I'll be interested to see what somebody has to give up to get Flaherty.
Doyers will get him for a Reese's and a bag of popcorn along with cash considerations

No way they have to part with a Reese's, those are too good. Probably just need to give up a Snickers.
htxag09
AG
Honestly….we could win the WS this year with Kikuchi playing a role, even if that's just bridging the gap to get guys healthy, none of those prospects could play out, and this thread would still say it's a horrible trade and they could have done better.
Ag_07
AG
I'm actually looking forward to see what Yusei can do.

He strikes guys out at a good clip and has a decent GB%. TOR is the bottom 3rd of the league as far as Fielding% and we hold the top spot. That alone should help him.
AustinCountyAg
MaxPower said:

I would have just stood pat, that was my thought on Flaherty as well. If you think your guys are better than others are valuing them then just stand pat.
Id imagine Dana wanted to stay pat, but with injuries he was forced to make a move for a starter and everyone knows it. Just think about it. Blanco already has a career high in innings pitched. Spencer and Hunter are almost there surpassing career highs. Taylor Scott hasn't pitched this much since 2019, and most of those innings were minor league ball. Seth Martinez is already at a career high at the big league level…… and it's not even August. A move for big league pitching (and hopefully more) had to be made and everyone knows it.
AustinCountyAg
Mr.Bond said:

It's principal man..... we gave up 2 top 10 prospects for a journeyman rental....... absolutely inexcusable
top ten in the Astros farm system. Most likely borderline top 20 for many other teams.
CFTXAG10
AG
My 1/2 a day later thoughts:

Given up:

Bloss - could be something, could be nothing. Got shelled quite a bit. Jury is still out.

Loperfido - provided some very memorable plays in the field and hits, has some holes in his game but he might figure it out, might not. Either way its unlikely he ever sniffs Yordan or Tucker territory. With the log jam in the outfield between Meyers, Chaz, Cabbage, and now Leon its a piece you can afford to part with. Still, as a fan of the team seeing some of the plays he made once called up this hurts.

Wagner - Organizational depth, not much to worry about there.

Brought in:

Kikuchi - Its a gamble. Career 4.72 ERA. Strong start this season but getting beat up lately. Still has some solid outings on his resume against playoff contenders in recent months. Makes me think the org thought there was no way they were going to risk any further injuries or delays in availabilty on the current pitching staff. Kikuchi can pitch and eat up meaningful starts.

I don't love it, but hopefully we look back in September and feel a lot different.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I woke up feeling like my dog died. This trade is so bad, I can only assume Brown is a manchurian GM sent by the league to destroy the astros.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
MaxPower said:

It would have been better to make no deal at than this deal. Not to mention, this has been a team need since they broke camp- there were still free agents better and cheaper than kuchi at that time. This is unbelievably inept.

My last thought on this: This deal does nothing to address our pitching problem. We traded a pitcher and got a pitcher- we're still short staffed.
Wabs
AG
So we adding a bat today? Do we have anything of value that we're willing to part with for a bat?
iBrad
AG
Bloss was called up, threw 3.2 innings, and then hit the IL. He's come back with two four-inning outings. He was not a guy that was going to eat many innings. His starts were going to bullpen games.
First Page Last Page
Page 1225 of 1686

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.