***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,061,600 Views | 56698 Replies | Last: 18 min ago by gambochaman
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
n_touch said:

BadAggie said:

Not hard to imagine the Astros not making trades at the deadline because 'the prices were too high' and this board/Twitter having a meltdown over that.

Blanco is running on fumes lately, JV has been out for almost two months, Arrighetti is feast or famine, Framber is Framber, always a bad inning away from losing it, and Hunter Brown is another Cinderella story we hope doesn't end too soon. No, Keke Coutee isn't my ideal but sometimes that's the way it is. Reinforcements are needed and to get a better level of arm you have to part with way better prospects out of a thin farm system.

Disappointing but this is not end of the world stuff. The organization is going in on this season, which is probably the best news as it indicates they expect Tucker to return this season.

How little did they think of Bloss that he could not even give something close to this? A 1 year rental that 5 innings a game with an ERA of 4.75. If it was just to eat innings, let the rookie do it.

Exactly

Or trade for a guy with a 5.2 ERA and only give up some **** you don't care about.

This is an incredibly risky gamble to expect Kikuchi to somehow become a true stud when his record shows otherwise. Especially with only a few months. Hard to have a "reclamation project" to get that diamond in the rough turnaround story.
Big Al 1992
AG
I keep thinking every time I refresh, Dana is giving Toronto more players. Anyone make sure Jake and Pena are still on the team?
Texas A&M
EastCoastAgNc said:

This trade sucks.
AggiEE
BadAggie
AG
Hey, maybe Bregman will tell Keke Coutee to throw a sinker and this trade will be golden

linkdude
AG
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Tomorrow, we will trade Yordan to pick up Josh Fields for much needed bullpen help down the stretch.
linkdude
AG
Time for some hopium before bed, lol
texasaggie2015
AG
That guy is a ****ing moron
n_touch
linkdude said:

Time for some hopium before bed, lol
Kyle only wants to be here to be close to the Medical Center for the bionic leg they will be announcing tomorrow after the deadline
linkdude
AG
He gives the fans what they want, though
redline248
AG
AggiEE said:

n_touch said:

BadAggie said:

Not hard to imagine the Astros not making trades at the deadline because 'the prices were too high' and this board/Twitter having a meltdown over that.

Blanco is running on fumes lately, JV has been out for almost two months, Arrighetti is feast or famine, Framber is Framber, always a bad inning away from losing it, and Hunter Brown is another Cinderella story we hope doesn't end too soon. No, Keke Coutee isn't my ideal but sometimes that's the way it is. Reinforcements are needed and to get a better level of arm you have to part with way better prospects out of a thin farm system.

Disappointing but this is not end of the world stuff. The organization is going in on this season, which is probably the best news as it indicates they expect Tucker to return this season.

How little did they think of Bloss that he could not even give something close to this? A 1 year rental that 5 innings a game with an ERA of 4.75. If it was just to eat innings, let the rookie do it.

Exactly

Or trade for a guy with a 5.2 ERA and only give up some **** you don't care about.

This is an incredibly risky gamble to expect Kikuchi to somehow become a true stud when his record shows otherwise. Especially with only a few months. Hard to have a "reclamation project" to get that diamond in the rough turnaround story.
Why would you assume they expect him to become a true stud?
BudFox7
No one traded helps us win now. Not sure the return does but that's tbd.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Disagree currently.

Correlation might not mean causation But we have been our hottest with Joey on the roster and he should have played more than he already has. And if we want innings and we value bloss so little…just blow him out and don't worry about over use.
maca1028
I haven't jumped in on this thread much this season. When did we hire BoB and Easterby?
BadAggie
AG
THE ASTROS AREN'T MAKING TRADES

THE ASTROS ARE MAKING TRADES

Heineken-Ashi
BadAggie said:

We just traded three guys, two of which are young with tons of control and who have proven they can compete, if not excel at the big league level, along with a promising prospect, for a guy who can..

checks notes..

compete at the big league level.

These are the moves a club starts making when they are gambling. We are not serious about sustaining success for the long term. We are throwing away prospects every single year for minimal, if not diminishing returns. We aren't getting better in free agency. Our expiring contracts will require us to pay guys who's best years are either behind them or will want enough money that it hampers us in free agency.

We did this two decades ago, and it ended up in an aging, uninspired, mediocre team with no farm system for a handful of years before we finally threw in the towel.

These "its not so bad" posts are nothing but copium blatantly ignoring the reality of the future staring at you. Better hope we win it all this year. If not, we will have given the league an entire outfield worth of prospects for nothing with our future dependent on hope and miracles from a front office that hasn't seemed to have made a single good decision.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
BadAggie
AG
If the future depended on Bloss, Loperfido, and Wagner we were already fckked.

AggiEE
BadAggie said:

It stacks up

They may not be all stars, but Bloss could be a cheap #3 starter with years of control. Loperfido would be useful if Tucker is gone

Having quality players, even if not elite, that makes a well rounded club, especially when cheap, is how you win championships and keep the momentum going
iBrad
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Disagree currently.

Correlation might not mean causation But we have been our hottest with Joey on the roster and he should have played more than he already has. And if we want innings and we value bloss so little…just blow him out and don't worry about over use.

Joey has been hot garbage in July.
BadAggie
AG
AggiEE said:

BadAggie said:

It stacks up

They may not be all stars, but Bloss could be a cheap #3 starter with years of control. Loperfido would be useful if Tucker is gone

Having quality players, even if not elite, that makes a well rounded club, especially when cheap, is how you win championships and keep the momentum going

Could be, maybe, cheap, not elite

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Checks notes: traded as 1/3 of the exchange for a guy with a 7era in July….Got it
Baseball Is Life
iBrad said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Disagree currently.

Joey has been hot garbage in July.

Alex Bregman started his career by going 0 for 18. A rookie is going to have an adjustment period at the plate. Joey has a big bat, has made some great catches in the OF and has a great energy to him.
BadAggie
AG
Joey Loperfido is 25 years old. Come on.

This club moved on from Tony Kemp who the fans liked.

Baseball Is Life
BadAggie said:

Joey Loperfido is 25 years old. Come on.

This club moved on from Tony Kemp who the fans liked.

And Kikuchi is 33 with almost six MLB seasons under his belt, so we definitely have a better idea on who he is. You keep projecting your opinion onto rookies/minor leaguers, who you truly have no clue on how they'll turnout. I suspect even you would place a current bet on Loperfido having a more productive career than Kikuchi.

I also understand that this is more about addressing current needs. However, there is no need to tear down young players, to prop up a questionable trade.
BadAggie
AG
What other club has had the success the Astros have had beginning with 2015?

Many of the complaints I see here are basically the Astros haven't been able to continue to turn out high level prospects while also making 7 consecutive LCS.

Consider yourself fortunate if this trade raises your blood pressure. Damn.

Baseball Is Life
BadAggie said:

Many of the complaints I see here are basically the Astros haven't been able to continue to turn out high level prospects while also making 7 consecutive LCS.

That was before Jim turned into Jerry 2.0. What Lunhow and Click built, is currently being destroyed. You could see the nepotism and meddling starting in 2019, when Jared Crane replaced Reid Ryan. When Click was offered an insulting one year contract, you knew the success had gotten to Jim. He thought he could build and/or even coach this team to a championship.

I appreciate what Jim did in the past, but it didn't have to end this way. I hope this team has one more run in them because the clock is close to striking midnight. I really think there are too many holes and too many needs to address in the offseason. I'll eat a happy dose of crow if I am wrong.
wangus12
AG
Waking up and seeing this trade ruins my day
BadAggie
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

BadAggie said:

That was before Jim turned into Jerry 2.0. What Lunhow and Click built, is currently being destroyed. You could see the nepotism and meddling starting in 2019, when Jared Crane replaced Reid Ryan. When Click was offered an insulting one year contract, you knew the success had gotten to Jim. He thought he could build and/or even coach this team to a championship.

I appreciate what Jim did in the past, but it didn't have to end this way. I hope this team has one more run in them because the clock is close to striking midnight. I really think there are too many holes and too many needs to address in the offseason. I'll eat a happy dose of crow if I am wrong.

Silent For Too Long
It's completely understandable to be dissapointed we are letting go of Loperfido. I totally empathize with that.

But we are deepest in the outfield and no one probably wanted Chas or Jake.

The windows is closing in the next couple seasons, guys, and Crane knows it. He's trying to eek out a little more hardware before it does. Is he too committed to winning now? Maybe, but it's his money, and he's given the city of Houston the best run of any of its sports franchises.

I'm disappointed, but I get it.
Wabs
AG
I'll be interested to see what somebody has to give up to get Flaherty.
BMX Bandit
I don't have a problem moving loperfido. there are better OF in the system.

its moving Loperfido with bloss AND wagner. This was a fleecing.
Boiling Denim
Dana gonna offload Framber and Blanco for a kings ransom today; in the market he set himself.

Playing 4D chess
tjack16
AG
What's most frustrating to me is that we could have easily gotten arms in the offseason when they KNEW we had a few guys who at best wouldn't be back until July.

We were always one injury in the rotation away from disaster. Now we get an arm out of desperation at the cost of 3 prospects that we don't have many of
Farmer1906
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 1224 of 1621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.