***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,061,608 Views | 56698 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by gambochaman
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just want to know what the Flaherty asking price was considering what we gave up for Kikuchi
Ags #1
AG
Of course it is Crane has to sign off on the trade so the buck really stops with him. He has gone full Jerry jones now. Sucks to see him going that route versus what got us the dynasty. But it's his team and his money and he isn't going to fire himself. So we better get used to these horrible contracts and absurd trades. It will continue to occur with him meddling in the gm's job duties
BCEDAg
AG
tjack16 said:

I just want to know what the Flaherty asking price was considering what we gave up for Kikuchi

Bet we'll never know.
Mose Schrute
AG
Dana is so far in over his head. Lots of teams in the running made moves and we ended up like the fat chick at prom.
texasaggie2015
AG
You don't have to believe it. But I'm not making it up. Not sure why some of you guys think I make this stuff up
Heineken-Ashi
htxag09 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

htxag09 said:

Maroon&Fight said:

Texans are officially the best organization in Houston after the buffoonery of today

Damn. Didn't realize the Texans have multiple super bowls and a **** ton of deep playoff runs since 17. Must've missed those….
It's not about what they've done int he past. It's about what the future holds. And right now, the future holds lots of pain for this franchise. Crane is brain dead if he keeps any of the front office after this debacle. I said before the season that the dark days were coming for the Astros. I was wrong. They're already here.

It's just hilarious (and sad) how you completely ignore the last 7 years when calling crane brain dead. The Astros have been on a historic run. I'd wager if you asked the Texans (or almost any other franchise) that they'll win 2 championships and make deep runs in the playoffs regularly for the next 7 years but it'll look bleak after that they'd take that trade in a heart beat.

Winning is hard. Sustained winning is even harder. The window will close and the run will end. Maybe it closes this year, maybe next, maybe in 5 years. Who knows. I'll just try to enjoy it rather than making 50 negative posts a day.
Everything that was done to build this program from scratch has been scrubbed. The things we are doing now are the same things that were done in the mid 2000's. Luhnow's mad scientist plan was to build and establish a perennial contender. Since he left, we've locked up hometown heros, overpaid for pieces we didn't need, overpaid for aging vets on their last leg, and are on our way to letting our most valuable pieces walk away with nothing in return.

This organization today is not the one that built this. We will be rebuilding from scratch within 5 years, if not sooner.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
AggiEE
This is like giving up the farm for JAKE ODORIZZI.......and expecting it to make is a big time difference in the playoffs.....

BadAggie
AG
None of those guys were in the top 100

There is precisely one Astro farmhand on that list. None of the guys moved today were on it.

Yes I think the price was high for a rental but acting like the Astros just dealt some top overall prospects is off the mark.

Luhnow got years of high draft picks and an ownership at the time that was willing to endure the seasons of losing to make it happen.

Now we're expecting this organization to continue to shtt out top prospects with lower picks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2024-top-100-prospects/
Mose Schrute
AG
Has Click stopped laughing yet?
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You don't have to believe it. But I'm not making it up. Not sure why some of you guys think I make this stuff up

I for one appreciate your inside information comments. No fault of yours but I wish some of the positive possibilities that you mention regarding possible deals in the making would actually happen.
agproducer
AG
Mathguy64 said:

TRM said:

Brown's body language was horrible in the presser.

It should be. He still got 6" of Canadian shlong in his backside.

Ummm, you need to use centimeters because it is Canada after all!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
htxag09
AG
BadAggie said:

None of those guys were in the top 100

There is precisely one Astro farmhand on that list. None of the guys moved today were on it.

Yes I think the price was high for a rental but acting like the Astros just dealt some top overall prospects is off the mark.

Luhnow got years of high draft picks and an ownership at the time that was willing to endure the seasons of losing to make it happen.

Now we're expecting this organization to continue to shtt out top prospects with lower picks.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2024-top-100-prospects/

And fewer picks because of the bs punishment
agproducer
AG
AggiEE said:

This is like giving up the farm for JAKE ODORIZZI.......and expecting it to make is a big time difference in the playoffs.....

Great comparison. Odo, though terrible, helped get us to the finish line by eating innings. We needed an arm, and he helped the cause.

Kuchi could do the same.
BQRyno
AG

ETA - Dana Brown, not you, if that wasn't obvious
texasaggie2015
AG
Leon will get brought up
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

Sucks to be Bloss and Loperfido to hear their GM talk like that.
BCEDAg
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Uh Dana you got fleeced badly and you're the laughing stock of baseball GM's. You have established a reputation of bending over to make a one sided deal for your trade partners.
AggiEE
ITLAg13 said:

It's a giant pickup.

linkdude
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
And I don't mean to get y'all's hopes up. I'm sorry. It's a fast moving time of year and I just relay what I hear because I see folks asking for updates sometimes
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

AggiEE said:

Great comparison. Odo, though terrible, helped get us to the finish line by eating innings. We needed an arm, and he helped the cause.

Kuchi could do the same.

The Astros team Odorizzi got traded to was better than this year's though. So it's not really the same situation
PoppaB05
AG
I feel like this played out exactly like the movie draft day

Toronto : Make me a deal, Dana, and you get your boy wonder.
Dana : What do you want?
Toronto: I want your top pitching prospect in the bigs right now, the best one
Dana : That's crazy. Why would I give you him?
Toronto: Because, at the end of the day, your rotation is a sh**show
Dana : Nah. No, I can't do it. I'd look like an idiot, like I panicked. You keep him.I'll stick with my prospects.
Toronto. : Yeah, but you want him, Dana, don't you? Astros fans want a pitcher, and you denied 'em.
Dana : Not that bad.
Toronto : Don't lie to me. I checked all the Astros fan blogs and chat rooms. They're all calling for your head. Ever since you brought Abreu back from Florida, the barbarians are at the gate.
Toronto: Okay. Screw it! No more offer. It's off the table, Dana. I'm keeping Kikuchi
Dana : Whoa, whoa, no, no. Wait, wait! All right. You have a deal. I'll give you Bloss. We have a deal.
Toronto: [urging his scouts to be silent, he mutes the call] What else do we need?
Click : An OF and Astros legend son. Wagner and Loperfido! Get Joey!
[the scouts all mutter in agreement] Joey Loperfido
Click : Yeah. Loperfido
Dana : Hello? Click is that you?
Toronto : [unmuting the call] I'm sorry, that deal's now off the table.
Dana : What?
Toronto. : We live in a different world than we did just thirty seconds ago.
Dana: What? What do you want now?
Toronto : I want Bloss, Wagner and I want Joey Loperfido. I need an Outfielder.
Dana : Where the hell'd that come from?

Ag_07
AG
I'd like to think that we're not done and make an additional move or two to improve but after giving up 3 pieces today I'm not sure I want to give up any warm bodies.
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Leon will get brought up

He deserves to get a shot. Let's see if he has finally figured it out.

It seems like Dana is purging some guys out of the system by bringing them up, seeing if they perform and if they don't, moving them out. See David Hensley. See Bielak.

He's patchworking with all the injuries and trimming where we have excess or where players are blocked or aging out.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
PoppaB05 said:

I feel like this played out exactly like the movie draft day

Toronto : Make me a deal, Dana, and you get your boy wonder.
Dana : What do you want?
Toronto: I want your top pitching prospect in the bigs right now, the best one
Dana : That's crazy. Why would I give you him?
Sonny Weaver Jr. : Because, at the end of the day, your rotation is a sh**show
Dana : Nah. No, I can't do it. I'd look like an idiot, like I panicked. You keep him.I'll stick with my prospects.
Toronto. : Yeah, but you want him, Dana, don't you? Astros fans want a pitcher, and you denied 'em.
Dana : Not that bad.
Toronto : Don't lie to me. I checked all the Astros fan blogs and chat rooms. They're all calling for your head. Ever since you brought Abreu back from Florida, the barbarians are at the gate.
Toronto: Okay. Screw it! No more offer. It's off the table, Dana. I'm keeping Kikuchi
Dana : Whoa, whoa, no, no. Wait, wait! All right. You have a deal. I'll give you Bloss. We have a deal.
Toronto: [urging his scouts to be silent, he mutes the call] What else do we need?
Click : An OF and Astros legend son. Wagner and Loperfido! Get Joey!
[the scouts all mutter in agreement] Joey Loperfido
Click : Yeah. Loperfido
Dana : Hello? Click is that you?
Toronto : [unmuting the call] I'm sorry, that deal's now off the table.
Dana : What?
Toronto. : We live in a different world than we did just thirty seconds ago.
Dana: What? What do you want now?
Toronto : I want Bloss, Wagner and I want Joey Loperfido. I need an Outfielder.
Dana : Where the hell'd that come from?

Moneyball
tjack16
AG
Can't wait for Leon to come up. Play well, bring energy and then ride the bench while we rotate him, Cabbage behind Chas
linkdude
AG
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

And I don't mean to get y'all's hopes up. I'm sorry. It's a fast moving time of year and I just relay what I hear because I see folks asking for updates sometimes

Thanks for all you provide. Just wish the front office would make some decent moves to help the club and make the fan base happy. Tonight's deal just really pisses me off.
But don't stop relaying any info you hear because I look forward to reading it:
Billy Baroo
AG
After 2022, I didn't have "meddling owner" on my radar as a reason for our eventual downfall. Should have recognized that after the Click firing and Montero signing so close together but was blinded by the win the previous year. Thanks again to Jeff Lunhow especially and James Click for assembling this team in the way they did. Hope there's enough residual left over from their eras to make another run.
PhatMack19
AG
BadAggie
AG
Not hard to imagine the Astros not making trades at the deadline because 'the prices were too high' and this board/Twitter having a meltdown over that.

Blanco is running on fumes lately, JV has been out for almost two months, Arrighetti is feast or famine, Framber is Framber, always a bad inning away from losing it, and Hunter Brown is another Cinderella story we hope doesn't end too soon. No, Keke Coutee isn't my ideal but sometimes that's the way it is. Reinforcements are needed and to get a better level of arm you have to part with way better prospects out of a thin farm system.

Disappointing but this is not end of the world stuff. The organization is going in on this season, which is probably the best news as it indicates they expect Tucker to return this season.

tjack16
AG
The click firing or "not renewing" is still one of the more baffling decisions that Crane made. Every move Click made was money in the end
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

Can't wait for Leon to come up. Play well, bring energy and then ride the bench while we rotate him, Cabbage behind Chas
Cabbage should probably go back to Sugar Land.
n_touch
BadAggie said:

Not hard to imagine the Astros not making trades at the deadline because 'the prices were too high' and this board/Twitter having a meltdown over that.

Blanco is running on fumes lately, JV has been out for almost two months, Arrighetti is feast or famine, Framber is Framber, always a bad inning away from losing it, and Hunter Brown is another Cinderella story we hope doesn't end too soon. No, Keke Coutee isn't my ideal but sometimes that's the way it is. Reinforcements are needed and to get a better level of arm you have to part with way better prospects out of a thin farm system.

Disappointing but this is not end of the world stuff. The organization is going in on this season, which is probably the best news as it indicates they expect Tucker to return this season.

How little did they think of Bloss that he could not even give something close to this? A 1 year rental that 5 innings a game with an ERA of 4.75. If it was just to eat innings, let the rookie do it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1223 of 1621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.