***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,274,052 Views | 60154 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by rosco511
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cc10106 said:

Skenes should stay in Pittsburgh, but that's not gonna happen. We'll see which coast he eventually ends up on.

Yankees within 3 years.
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

cc10106 said:

Skenes should stay in Pittsburgh, but that's not gonna happen. We'll see which coast he eventually ends up on.

Yankees within 3 years.

Tommy John in 4
Hornbeck
AG
How does the talent stack up A, AA, AAA versus a college team?

In my mind, a really good college team (think Omaha) would be able to match up versus a AAA team, AA like a good Power 4 team but maybe didn't make the tournament, and A like a Lamar or SHSU.

I ask because guys put up good (even great) numbers at the lower levels, and then have varying degrees of success. It also plays into the draft, etc.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Faustus
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Farmer1906 said:

Have LSU hottie throw out the first pitch

https://instagr.am/p/C8k35I9PkR-

I was curious how they ended up together, and the answer was of course that they were at LSU together. Going down the rabbit hole he played his first two years at Air Force before LSU bought his final year.

I was curious how that worked since there are certain commitments involving the service academies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Academy

Quote:

. . . On the first day of a cadet's second class year, cadets commit to serving a number of years as a commissioned officer in the Air Force or Space Force. Non-graduates after that point are expected to fulfill their obligations in enlisted service or pay back full tuition. . . .

So amusingly the Air Force Academy already had in place a mechanism (albeit for all students who didn't fulfill their commitment) which provided fans their pound of flesh when someone coveted left for another college. I've seen posters at other schools want something similar, if not worse penalties, when their players leave for another school.

Edit - I just saw an article that said he plans on serving when his playing career ends, which is certainly the tact to take. No one will care 10-15 years from now.

https://www.fox29.com/news/pirates-pitcher-paul-skenes-military-after-mlb-career.amp
Mathguy64
AG
Hornbeck said:

In my mind, a really good college team (think Omaha) would be able to match up versus a AAA team, AA like a good Power 4 team but maybe didn't make the tournament, and A like a Lamar or SHSU.

I ask because guys put up good (even great) numbers at the lower levels, and then have varying degrees of success. It also plays into the draft, etc.

When he was still here, Mark Johnson was on record as equating good college teams with AA level ball. That was almost 20 years ago what I heard him say that.
texasaggie2015
AG
Hornbeck said:

In my mind, a really good college team (think Omaha) would be able to match up versus a AAA team

Whoa. Not even close.

The best college baseball team each year has only a handful of guys who will play professionally- and only a couple who will make it past AA.
Buck Compton
AG
This has always been the case for all service academies. The very second that you report for your junior year (aka "second-class" year in the air force), you owe service time to the military.

You can go for your first two years and then decide it isn't for you without penalty. Skenes owed nothing because he only attended for two years.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I really don't believe that. AA is usually the best prospects and AAA tends to be over the hill types for emergency need or fast movers.

Every guy on Tennessee's National Championship team isn't going to make it to AA or AAA plus more top guys go pro than college especially pitching
Bobcat-Ag
I feel like we need to test these theories with some exhibition games. How do we make this happen?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

I feel like we need to test these theories with some exhibition games. How do we make this happen?

They did this in the past, no? Didn't the Astros play the Aggies back in the day
Faustus
Buck Compton said:

This has always been the case for all service academies. The very second that you report for your junior year (aka "second-class" year in the air force), you owe service time to the military.

You can go for your first two years and then decide it isn't for you without penalty. Skenes owed nothing because he only attended for two years.

I misunderstood what second class year meant then.

Gracias.
FrioAg 00
AG
With NIL, there are going to be more talents choosing college ball and choosing it longer over minor league entry.

So while I think historically even AA teams may have been more talented than the best college teams, I think it may be changing
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

cc10106 said:

Yankees within 3 years.
Pittsburgh seems like a great down, just that girl's influencer status it's hard to imagine her not in NY, LA, or Miami over time.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Hornbeck
AG
She will kick him to the curb if something better comes alongโ€ฆ
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower
I dunno. This is her last year as a gymnast at LSU so the hot gymnast novelty may wear off with the public soon. Plenty of Jane Doe hot blondes in the world.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Record watch!

Jose Altuve is now #202 all time in hits at 2,161. It's exciting when he starts passing HOFers, and he passed Larry Walker two days ago. Walker is arguably the fakest HOFer ever, hitting .281 in 6 years in Montreal, .286 in basically 1 full season in St. Louis, and .334 in 10 years in Colorado. His all-time home/away split is:

Home: 986 games, 215 HR, 747 RBI, .348 AVG, 1068 OPS
Away: 1,002 games, 168 HR, 564 RBI, .278 AVG, .865 OPS

Jose is now tied for 253rd in runs scored at 1,117. He's actually about to pass Mike Trout (1,123). Talk about injuries - Altuve and Trout are both in their 14th year, but Jose has played 615 more games than Trout - 3.8 seasons.

Jose is 163rd in doubles, having just passed Orlando Cepeda and Cecil Cooper among others, and is just 1 behind Andrew McCutchen. He's coming up fast on former Astros Lance Berkman (157th) and Moises Alou (158th). Jose has 418. He's 70 behind Bagwell for 2nd on the Astro career list.

He's 164th in steals at 307, 2 behind Coco Crisp and Scott Podsednik. If he can steal another 100 before he hangs it up, he'll be in the top 70.

cc10106
Take it easy on Mrs. Alvarez, YED!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hornbeck said:

Might go the other way, he's off to the best start of any rookie SP I can think of in the last 30+ years. Probably the best since Fernando Valenzuela in the strike season. Fernando has pitched in 10 games as a reliever in the '80 season in Sept-Oct.

In 81 he started the year 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA and 5 shutouts, then went 5-7 the rest of the way to finish 13-7 with a 2.50 ERA.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Hornbeck said:

Honest question. What on earth is better than the top young pitcher in baseball? Dude is destined to sign a 300+ million dollar deal in the next 5-6 years. Doesn't get much better than that. Plus he's not an ugly guy and from interviews seems like a good dude, even just the idea he'd be willing to go into the military after baseball

As far as influencingโ€ฆairplanes exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The graveman throweth
linkdude
AG
Yord returns
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

The graveman throweth
Is he expected to return this season?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Honestly think it might be more than just a "for show" relationship. I think that dated for quite some time before the ever made it public. If you're dating just for the show that isn't necessary.

Who knows but I look forward to following his career and I love that he's on a small market team. Pittsburgh is a good baseball town and will support the team if the ownership allows it to come back. Heck they could even make the playoffs this year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggiEE said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

The graveman throweth
Is he expected to return this season?

Possibly in September
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I hate that chas is in there
linkdude
AG
Someone has to hit 9th
AggiEE
EastCoastAgNc said:

I hate that chas is in there

Tucker. Soon.
cc10106
Chas played well last time the Rangerettes were here, but that was several months ago.
mwm
Man, I really feel bad about the yankees struggling so bad the last month or two.

Nope.
txags92
AG
I hope we throw the first pitch to melon head behind him just to see him flip out.
Prosperdick
AG
txags92 said:

I hope we throw the first pitch to melon head behind him just to see him flip out.
With the size of his melon we'd need to throw it in the dugout to throw behind him.
All I do is Nguyen
First Page Last Page
Page 1073 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.