***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,880,103 Views | 67467 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Mathguy64
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

I will always love Carlos.

Love him after this weekend
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Maybe to put pressure on Toronto to agree to a deal for Vlad. If they think we are moving in a different direction they could be a little more agreeable to what we can offer
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
W
AG
looking back at the Blue Jays...

their farm system must be terrible. So much of their team is free agents

80% of the starting rotation: Gausman, Bassitt, Berrios, and Kikuchi

1/2 of the starting lineup: George, IKF, Kiermaier, and Justin Turner

and Toronto is in last place with $230 MM payroll
BadAggie
AG
45-42
2.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot
2.0 games back of Division lead
texasaggie2015
AG
I was able to confirm the Christian Walker rumors. Vlad is still the dream target, but they also have strong interest in Walker. I personally don't see Arizona selling, but they're keeping an eye on him.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I was able to confirm the Christian Walker rumors. Vlad is still the dream target, but they also have strong interest in Walker. I personally don't see Arizona selling, but they're keeping an eye on him.
Any indication they are looking at starting pitching as well?
texasaggie2015
AG
Nothing has changed there
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Gameday: Express 4, Space Cowboys 7 Final Score (07/04/2024) (milb.com)

Whitley, Whitcomb, Leon and Wagner all with good games last night.

They gave Whitcomb another start in LF which I find very interesting.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Adam should have used the Team America f*** yeah song instead of that one.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hulk Hogans entrance song is ALWAYS appropriate
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Bag
AG
linkdude said:

Can I start pounding the Whitley drum now that HB is pretty settled in? Wishful thinking says he could replace Montero on next year's roster...

has this guys major league clock started yet?
Mathguy64
AG
Bag said:

linkdude said:

Can I start pounding the Whitley drum now that HB is pretty settled in? Wishful thinking says he could replace Montero on next year's roster...

has this guys major league clock started yet?
Forrest? He started a game earlier this season. And immediately got injured.
Bag
AG
I guess what I mean is when does his free agency clock start or when did it start, he has been around forever
texasaggie2015
AG
Forrest hasn't made a big league start. He made a relief appearance in April:

Forrest Whitley 2024 Pitching Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

At this point, it's highly doubtful he will be a starter in the big leagues. They've been transitioning him into a reliever for a while now. Best case scenario for him is probably a 7th or 8th inning guy.
Jackal99
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Hulk Hogans entrance song is ALWAYS appropriate

Heenan: "I gotta say, Gorilla, this is probably my second favorite song of all time."
Monsoon: "I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's your favorite?"
Heenan: "All the rest are tied."
Dr. Doctor
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Gameday: Express 4, Space Cowboys 7 Final Score (07/04/2024) (milb.com)

Whitley, Whitcomb, Leon and Wagner all with good games last night.

They gave Whitcomb another start in LF which I find very interesting.

That was a fun game. Gave up 3 runs early then got them back and more. Almost had another HR but the wind pushed it foul. Was a great shot near the 3rd base foul.

Fireworks after were nice as well. Leaving the parking lot? Ehh....

~egon
All I do is Nguyen
We (baseball fans) really just a bunch of nerds huh?

JPN06
texasaggie2015 said:

Forrest hasn't made a big league start. He made a relief appearance in April:

Forrest Whitley 2024 Pitching Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

At this point, it's highly doubtful he will be a starter in the big leagues. They've been transitioning him into a reliever for a while now. Best case scenario for him is probably a 7th or 8th inning guy.
Good move to make him a reliever. I'm not sure why you would think he doesn't have the goods to be a closer though.

Not that it even matters. IMO the whole concept of closer is kind of stupid. But what makes you think he doesn't have the stuff to be "the" high leverage guy?
texasaggie2015
AG
The main problem (well besides health) for Forrest is that his fastball is very flat. He can get away with it against AAA talent, but big leaguers will feast when he has to go to the heater.

They're working with him, but it's a work in progress.
JPN06
I know that youre an insider or whatever but when he got called up the 790 guys were saying that both his fastball and sinker are elite in terms of both velocity and movement but that he has struggled with command and injuries.

Is the "flat" fastball something recent?
Farmer1906
AG
Go the Hunter Brown / Chris Cortez route and change it to a 2 seam.
tylhair
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
JPN06 said:

I know that youre an insider or whatever but when he got called up the 790 guys were saying that both his fastball and sinker are elite in terms of both velocity and movement but that he has struggled with command and injuries.

That's your problem right there

But serious answer- that's what I've always been told is his problem in terms of stuff. He has good secondary stuff when he's locating, but the fastball from what I've been told is very flat.
JPN06
texasaggie2015 said:

JPN06 said:

That's your problem right there

But serious answer- that's what I've always been told is his problem in terms of stuff. He has good secondary stuff when he's locating, but the fastball from what I've been told is very flat.
Haha fair enough
RED AG 98
AG
Mathguy's guy and Nolan were something else

agproducer
AG
JRR, man. He was a force!
The Porkchop Express
AG
In 2009, Sports Illustrated ran a 5-part "What If?" piece, writing fictional narratives about what might have happened in baseball if 5 different things in baseball had happened differently. The fifth and final one was "What if JR RIchard hadn't had a stroke?"

It is a bittersweet, heart-breaking read if you're a longtime Astro fan.

When Los Angeles Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda summoned someoneanyoneon his bench to pinch-hit against James Rodney Richard, strong men their eyes. Such temporary paralysis was common among Houston Astro opponents in the late '70s whenever the 6'8", 225-pound Richard pitched. Players called the affliction J. R.-thritis.

Joe Morgan has admitted fearing him. Dave Winfield still calls Richard the toughest pitcher he ever faced, Of stepping in against Richard's 98-mph fastball. Hill Buckner once said, "What you do depends on whether you value your life more than you value one at bat."
In midsummer of 1980 Richard was alone at the peak of his profession, a lock for the National League Cy Young Award, a starter in the All-Star Game, with 10 wins and a 1.89 ERA at midseason break, But on July 30, while working out at the Astrodome, he suffered a stroke and never pitched again in the major leagues.

Houston manager Bill Virdon called him "the best pitcher in baseball." And the best pitcher in baseball was, as Astro teammate Enos Cabell noted, "on his way to the Hall of Fame." Given what he already was, what J. R. Richard might have been seems limitless.

In 1979 J.R. Richard won 18 games, and he struck out 300 batters for the second time, something that no other National League righthander had ever done once. He also led the league with a 2.71 ERA. He was 29 years old.
In 1980 he won the Cy Young, as expected.
From 1981 to '85 the Houston Astros had a rotation that would have made the current Atlanta Brave starting pitchers look like slo-pitch softballers. The Astro staff consisted of Richard, a second banana by the name of Nolan Ryan, Don Sutton and a fourth starter who would win 221 games in his career, knuckleballer Joe Niekro. Houston mowed down opponents like a Toro.
In 1983 the Astros acquired a fifth starter named Mike Scott.
In 1986, in a timeless National League Championship Series, Houston beat the New York Mets. The Astros then dispatched the Boston Red Sox in what proved to be a surprisingly competitive Fall Classic. Richard the Lionhearted, 36 years old, started Games 1, 4 and 7 for Houston. Three Red Sox regulars missed those games with "flulike symptoms." (Alas, the aforementioned Buckner was not one of them.)

In 1988 J.R. Richard retired.

In 1989 Ryan was signed by the Texas Rangers and, with the shadow of Richard finally removed, at last received the national attention he deserved.
In 1993 J.R. Richard was elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. He might have been the greatest pitcher ever.

Life is better with a beagle
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I think they go way overboard and overpay for vlad out of desperation in an attempt to play keep away with us
Teddy Perkins
AG
Mathguy64
AG
In 1979, JRR started 38 games. He finished 19 of them. Let that sink in. Half of his starts that season were complete games. One was an 11 inning CG. He also threw an 11 inning no decision against Seaver late in the season. Seaver only managed 9 innings that day. JRR threw 11 and Joe Sambito threw the other 2 for the win.

Of course times were different. The team had 55 CGs that season and there were 913 thrown across the league. The league average was 35.

Justin Verlander has 26 CGs in his career. His most was 6 in a season.
W
AG
Yordan leads the American League in intentional walks with 8

his career high for IBB is 9 in 2022
Project Gemini
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I think they go way overboard and overpay for vlad out of desperation in an attempt to play keep away with us
Seattle - one nice run somewhere in the season, regression to mean, constantly butthurt manager
Texas - Cowboy's offseason starts soon!
Angels - expectations met

ttha_aggie_09
AG
He'll break that before Tuck gets back. Without someone behind him like Tuck, even though Diaz has done really well, it's the smart move for opposing teams a lot of the time.
First Page Last Page
Page 1020 of 1928

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.