***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,880,086 Views | 67467 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Mathguy64
houag78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't blame Toronto for not giving YA anything to hit yesterday - final tape for the 4-game series -
BA- .500
OBP - .667
OPS - 2.083
Runs - 7
RBI - 8

Monstrous !
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

In 1979, JRR started 36 games. He finished 18 of them. Let that sink in. Half of his starts that season were complete games. One was an 11 inning CG. He also threw an 11 inning no decision against Seaver late in the season. Seaver only managed 9 innings that day. JRR threw 11 and Joe Sambito threw the other 2 for the win.

Of course times were different. The team had 55 CGs that season and there were 913 thrown across the league. The league average was 35.

Justin Verlander has 26 CGs in his career. His most was 6 in a season.
Hell, it feels like lately the only time a pitcher gets a complete game is when he's flirting with a no no.
Mathguy64
AG
There were 35 CGs all of last season. 11 teams didn't have one at all. 25 of the 35 were CG shut outs.
Hornbeck
AG
W said:

Yordan leads the American League in intentional walks with 8

his career high for IBB is 9 in 2022

Blummer keeps saying it's "Barry Bonds-esque"

Bonds had 120 in 2004. At age 39. The juice was loose.

JPN06
The Porkchop Express said:

In 2009, Sports Illustrated ran a 5-part "What If?" piece, writing fictional narratives about what might have happened in baseball if 5 different things in baseball had happened differently. The fifth and final one was "What if JR RIchard hadn't had a stroke?"

It is a bittersweet, heart-breaking read if you're a longtime Astro fan.

When Los Angeles Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda summoned someoneanyoneon his bench to pinch-hit against James Rodney Richard, strong men their eyes. Such temporary paralysis was common among Houston Astro opponents in the late '70s whenever the 6'8", 225-pound Richard pitched. Players called the affliction J. R.-thritis.

Joe Morgan has admitted fearing him. Dave Winfield still calls Richard the toughest pitcher he ever faced, Of stepping in against Richard's 98-mph fastball. Hill Buckner once said, "What you do depends on whether you value your life more than you value one at bat."
In midsummer of 1980 Richard was alone at the peak of his profession, a lock for the National League Cy Young Award, a starter in the All-Star Game, with 10 wins and a 1.89 ERA at midseason break, But on July 30, while working out at the Astrodome, he suffered a stroke and never pitched again in the major leagues.

Houston manager Bill Virdon called him "the best pitcher in baseball." And the best pitcher in baseball was, as Astro teammate Enos Cabell noted, "on his way to the Hall of Fame." Given what he already was, what J. R. Richard might have been seems limitless.

In 1979 J.R. Richard won 18 games, and he struck out 300 batters for the second time, something that no other National League righthander had ever done once. He also led the league with a 2.71 ERA. He was 29 years old.
In 1980 he won the Cy Young, as expected.
From 1981 to '85 the Houston Astros had a rotation that would have made the current Atlanta Brave starting pitchers look like slo-pitch softballers. The Astro staff consisted of Richard, a second banana by the name of Nolan Ryan, Don Sutton and a fourth starter who would win 221 games in his career, knuckleballer Joe Niekro. Houston mowed down opponents like a Toro.
In 1983 the Astros acquired a fifth starter named Mike Scott.
In 1986, in a timeless National League Championship Series, Houston beat the New York Mets. The Astros then dispatched the Boston Red Sox in what proved to be a surprisingly competitive Fall Classic. Richard the Lionhearted, 36 years old, started Games 1, 4 and 7 for Houston. Three Red Sox regulars missed those games with "flulike symptoms." (Alas, the aforementioned Buckner was not one of them.)

In 1988 J.R. Richard retired.

In 1989 Ryan was signed by the Texas Rangers and, with the shadow of Richard finally removed, at last received the national attention he deserved.
In 1993 J.R. Richard was elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. He might have been the greatest pitcher ever.

Good chance they win the 1980 World Series if he's not injured as well. Lost very close to the eventual WS champion Phillies without him. Gotta think we win that with the best pitcher in baseball starting 2 games.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

EastCoastAgNc
AG
As we approach the deadline, a yearly reminder to beware of fake accounts and trolls. Check the spelling on people's handles, not just their names and pictures, and disregard anyone associated with the FAX brand (including Holly Baylor). I've already seen some fake news start to float around on some of the accounts
Ag_07
AG
And a blue check mark doesn't mean shlt now that you can buy them.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Also know that Jon Heyman is a direct mouthpiece for Scott Boras and the Yankee front office, so filter everything you read through that
Mathguy64
AG
Just don't do Twitter/X/whatever. Problem solved.
W
AG
it is interesting that the Astros have a lot of great pitchers...who are not in the Hall of Fame...

whose "peak" years rival or match many Hall of Famers

J.R. Richard, Roy Oswalt, Mike Scott, et al
FrioAg 00
AG
BadAggie said:

45-42
2.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot
2.0 games back of Division lead

We need to think bigger, and think ahead. It's time to start adding a "__ games back of a 1st round Bye"

EastCoastAgNc
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

BadAggie said:

45-42

We need to think bigger, and think ahead. It's time to start adding a "__ games back of a 1st round Bye"

Baltimore and Cleveland are 10 up in the win column on us for the top 2 seeds. I don't think that's attainable. They aren't both going to pull a Seattle and start sucking for a month
linkdude
AG
Thankfully winning the division still means home field for the WC round, then a matchup with the 2 seed.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

FrioAg 00 said:

BadAggie said:

45-42

Baltimore and Cleveland are 10 up in the win column on us for the top 2 seeds. I don't think that's attainable. They aren't both going to pull a Seattle and start sucking for a month

Yankees already stated that free fall but we still need to catch them too.
All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc said:

As we approach the deadline, a yearly reminder to beware of fake accounts and trolls. Check the spelling on people's handles, not just their names and pictures, and disregard anyone associated with the FAX brand (including Holly Baylor). I've already seen some fake news start to float around on some of the accounts
The only account I follow for news is right here on TexAgs. 2015
Hornbeck
AG
W said:

it is interesting that the Astros have a lot of great pitchers...who are not in the Hall of Fame...

whose "peak" years rival or match many Hall of Famers

J.R. Richard, Roy Oswalt, Mike Scott, et al

I'd add Billy Wagner
linkdude
AG
mwm
That dude yesterday was exceptionally bad.
Marvin
AG
linkdude said:

Surprised it was that low. I said +2 yesterday and stand by it. One of the most biased zones this year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
I miss my boy Caratini
Life is better with a beagle
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
Sitting on a barstool doing some work and Space City is airing an Astros show... countdown, maybe? Whatever, they had a good segment on Jake Meyers and his defense. The kid can play some centerfield.
Marvin
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I miss my boy Caratini

Is that your ride-or-die for this season, or just a random baseball crush?
Dr. Doctor
AG
My first minor league game was lay night and seeing the review process in action.

I say bring it to the MLB. Hensley challenged two strikes in a row and won both. MAJORLY changed the batter attack. From 0-2 to 2-0.

~egon
mwm
I'll be glad when the era of softball uniforms is gone.
W
AG
strike zone appears wide
Marvin
AG
mwm said:

And home plate ump guessing on the strike zone.
Marvin
AG
Couple of hard contacts in the 8 pitches the Astros saw that inning.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Martin Cash
AG
mwm said:

Ugliest unis I've ever seen in MLB.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
W
AG
6-pitch 1st inning for Dubin

that will work
First Page Last Page
Page 1021 of 1928

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.