***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,844,666 Views | 67304 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by jkag89
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

Crazy to say but I think I rather keep Jake.

I think Chas' 2023 was the anomaly.
I'm with this. I would rather Trade chas and keep Jake. As for Lopes, I haven't seen enough to say we should give up on him yet, regardless of what the org thinks of him. He needs more seasoning, if you will.
Ag_07
AG
JP France and his injury is a big blow.

I thought he could've been a nice trade piece for a team looking for a controllable arm who has shown flashes that he can compete in the show.
Ag_07
AG
I don't think of it as they'd be giving up on him but more of he's the more valuable piece on the trade at a position of surplus.
W
AG
speaking of Toronto players...

Bo Bichette, whoa, fallen off a cliff this year

.622 OPS and OPS+ of 78

his swing-at-everything approach is not working in 2024

just 16 walks in 281 plate appearances
redline248
AG
Beau Holder said:

Probably the wrong site to find the audience for this collection.

(I think the blue gear is sick personally.)
I'd like to see the blue hat a little closer, but I like what I can see. The white hat is the only time I've ever liked the red logo, and the skull hat is cool. Though I would never personally wear it, lol
tjack16
AG
I'd be fine with losing either Jake or Chas if it means getting Vlad Jr… but if you made me choose I'd say bye Chas
Beau Holder
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8soMVmgIr5/?igsh=aXFkcGh5Y3drZGV6
Mathguy64
AG
We have a SS with a similar approach. He's just making more hard contact.

Pena has 13 doubles but 13 just BB.

Bichette is batting .285 but only slugging .337. Pena is .280 but slugging .380.
Sea Speed
AG

All I do is Nguyen
MaxPower
Mathguy64 said:

Bichette is batting .285 but only slugging .337. Pena is .280 but slugging .380.
Bichette isn't as good defensively either but it isn't a huge difference.

I could see us needing to trade Pena and taking Bichette to get Vlad. Peña has more value than Bichette (mainly due to contract situation) and we don't have a lot of prospect capital. So the question may be if you would trade Pena, Joey and a Bloss / Blubagh for Vlad and Bichette (including Crane taking on the extra salary).
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I think giving up 2 of the 3 of Chas, Jake, and Joey would be a bad move. I can live with Chas going, but giving up Jake or Joey would just hurt too much. If we gave them 2, what's the backup plan? Call up Leon and hope he can reproduce his AAA numbers?
Mathguy64
AG
How different is the ALWest compared to the other two divisions?

The Rangerettes are 37-43, 7.5 GB Seattle and in 3rd.

Toronto is 36-43, 14.5 GB and in 5th. Detroit is 37-43, 15 GB and in 4th.

cc10106
Sea Speed said:

Beau Holder said:

My favorite Astros hat is the bun b collab that just says STROS in rainbow on a blue hat.

I wear it some days like this one.

Still haven't eaten a Trill Burger. Sorry not sorry, Bun.

texasaggie2015
AG
If you were to give up, for example, Jake Meyers, Joey and other prospects you would roll with something like...

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Vlad 1B
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Pena SS
Dubon LF
McCormick CF

On days Yordan plays LF you could move Dubon somewhere to give someone an off day or DH Diaz and Caratini catches when he's healthy. Cabbage can also play LF when needed.

I'm not saying it's what I would do, but that's probably what it would look like.

There's a lot of OF talent in the minors and they will start giving Matthews reps at CF soon in case they need to move him. He's athletic enough to be a good big league center fielder.

Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

Mathguy64 said:

Bichette isn't as good defensively either but it isn't a huge difference.

I could see us needing to trade Pena and taking Bichette to get Vlad. Peña has more value than Bichette (mainly due to contract situation) and we don't have a lot of prospect capital. So the question may be if you would trade Pena, Joey and a Bloss / Blubagh for Vlad and Bichette (including Crane taking on the extra salary).

Ooh man that's hard. That's a lot.

I'm not sure I'd do that.
Sea Speed
AG
I had one at the rodeo but that's because there was no line. That's the hat I have, can't wear it regularly of course, but I do love it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If you were to give up, for example, Jake Meyers, Joey and other prospects you would roll with something like...

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Vlad 1B
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Pena SS
Dubon LF
McCormick CF

On days Yordan plays LF you could move Dubon somewhere to give someone an off day or DH Diaz and Caratini catches when he's healthy. Cabbage can also play LF when needed.

I'm not saying it's what I would do, but that's probably what it would look like.

There's a lot of OF talent in the minors and they will start giving Matthews reps at CF soon in case they need to move him. He's athletic enough to be a good big league center fielder.

So hypothetically, lets say they pull that deal off for Vlad and we lose some combination of Chas, Joey, and/or Jake. What do they pull from for a starting pitcher or reliever if they decide to go that route?
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Vlad 1B
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Pena SS
Dubon LF
McCormick CF

Okay I would not be mad at that.
MaxPower
Not sure I would either but it has to hurt. We have some good pitching depth and Joey is a k machine so not a sure fire.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Crazy to say but I think I rather keep Jake.

I think Chas' 2023 was the anomaly.
Here are his OPS+ by month for his career:

2021 (rookie, 284 AB)
April - 70
May - 127
June - 116
July - 98
August - 133
Sept/Oct - 90

2022 (359 AB)
April - 120
May - 87
June - 53 (only 9 games)
July - 144
Aug - 121
Sept/Oct - 109

2023 (403 AB)
April - 143
May - 48
June - 139
July - 201
Aug - 120
Sept/Oct - 91

2024 (128 AB)
April - 76
May - -63 (yes, a negative in 16 AB)
June - 125

I would say the early part of this season is the anomaly. Is he prone to some bad slumps? Yes, but largely he is an above average player.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
cc10106 said:

Sea Speed said:

Beau Holder said:

My favorite Astros hat is the bun b collab that just says STROS in rainbow on a blue hat.

I wear it some days like this one.

Still haven't eaten a Trill Burger. Sorry not sorry, Bun.

Love Bun but the burgers are mid. Burger Bodega is much better.
Serviam
isn't Vladito just a rental? I'm not that impressed with him honestly; he was barely above replacement last year and is a big defensive liability. That's a bunch of cash we could use elsewhere.
texasaggie2015
AG
They may feel like Vlad is the best bang for their buck and that he won't be quite as expensive as some of these arms. With Garcia and LMJ coming back, maybe they feel like that gives them just enough. I'm really not sure.

Verlander (hopefully)
Framber
Blanco
Brown
Garcia
LMJ
Arrighetti
Bloss (when he returns)

Blubaugh is knocking on the door. Ullola isn't super far off either in terms of the next year or two.

I wouldn't say it's elite, but they could find a way to manage. If they want a top of the rotation starter, they would have to go that route instead of pursuing Vlad.

Any arms they land I believe would be back of the rotation guys who can eat innings and keep guys fresh down the stretch.
Ag_07
AG
I still wonder if there's a way to work Pressly into a trade with TOR (pending his approval).

That would offset some of Vlad's money coming our way and get Pressly somewhere he could be closing.

May also soften up what would be going to TOR.

Just spitballing.
texasaggie2015
AG
Serviam said:

isn't Vladito just a rental? I'm not that impressed with him honestly; he was barely above replacement last year and is a big defensive liability. That's a bunch of cash we could use elsewhere.
He's better than Singleton. Much, much better. He's having a hell of a season. We would have him for 1.5 years. Last year was a weird year for him. I remember his expected numbers were much higher- a lot of bad luck.

I wouldn't say he's barely above replacement level. He's good.
MaxPower
This is my thought. A lot of contenders with deep farms want pitching. We have a lot of good young arms and several guys due back. Hitting is the real premium with scoring down this year. Vlad's numbers are just good but his hitting metrics are elite. He could easily give you Yordan production the rest of the year.
Ag_07
AG
TOR is such a weird team

They were stacked full of talent a couple years ago when Springer first got there. They've had some really good teams with high expectations but don't ever put it together.

Even under multiple managers. Kinda odd
Hornbeck
AG
No love for Rodeo Goat? Near the ballpark, too.
FrioAg 00
AG
Could be a fun off day

Staying at +4.5 in division regardless, since us and Seattle are off

Rangers likely to lose @Baltimore

Royals and Twins each in coin flip games - so a chance to make progress on WC race

bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

TOR is such a weird team

They were stacked full of talent a couple years ago when Springer first got there. They've had some really good teams with high expectations but don't ever put it together.

Even under multiple managers. Kinda odd

Hasn't pitching been their biggest issue? Similar to the Angels of the last 15 years? All hitting with very little pitching
cc10106
Still need to try BB. I have a spot for smash burgers but won't share it here.

I don't like the idea of trading Loperfido, who seems to have the "it" factor, but I know we have holes to fill. Vlad and the Crawford boxes could be a lethal combo.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I don't want to trade Jake or Guperfido right now. They are both playing with such heart and fire, I love seeing those guys on the basepaths and getting excited when they get big hits.

Dubon is the first baseman. we don't need an over the hill Guerrero.

redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I don't want to trade Jake or Guperfido right now. They are both playing with such heart and fire, I love seeing those guys on the basepaths and getting excited when they get big hits.

Dubon is the first baseman. we don't need an over the hill Guerrero.

You know, I think this is at least something to weigh if you're considering a trade to acquire Vlad

Obviously Vlad is going to bring more power to the lineup
First Page Last Page
Page 949 of 1924

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.