***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,738,880 Views | 66716 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by An L of an Ag
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they win 60% the rest of the way that puts them at 88 to 89 wins.

I think they can get a wild card spot if so.

Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

And yeah JV may be difficult and throw an occasional tantrum but the dude has 100% earned that right.
I disagree. I don't think anyone ever earns the right to throw tantrums. I am a tenured pro-JV guy (as are most of us). I'm really trying to point out that I don't think he's the angel some of you think he is and I don't think Bauer is the devil some of you think he is.

TBH I'd probably be happier without Bauer. I wouldn't want any part of him if I thought we could win it all without someone like him.

I'd also have no problem getting over his past if he came in and played well. I'd be rooting for him to learn a thing or two and improve his character. I think most fans are in the same boat.
Ag4life80
AG
Yeah, 'cause narcissistic millionaires learn from their mistakes
Harry Dunne
Ag4life80 said:

narcissistic millionaires or not, I do think most people learn from their mistakes as long as the price they have to pay is high enough. But what do I know?
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

If they win 60% the rest of the way that puts them at 88 to 89 wins.

I think they can get a wild card spot if so.

I'm not sure the Rays, Royals, Red Sox, and Rangers get into the high 80s.

I also don't think the Twins and Guardians are a lock to win 90+ either. I have more confidence in them than the other 4 above.

There is a lot of season left and I think the Yankees, Os, & Mariners rosters are the best. Don't be shocked if the standings today look very different in Oct.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
That's a fair take. I don't agree with it but I can see your POV.

Me personally I just don't think a guy like Bauer is gonna change based on his track record.

As far as JV goes I'm of the opinion that when JV talks you listen.
n_touch
Ag4life80 said:

Have we moved onto Crane or are we still in Bauer?
BadAggie
AG
Interesting to think Astros could be buyers next month

The Porkchop Express
AG
My favorite all time football coach once said that if you have talent and you aren't a total dbag, someone will pay you to play no matter what else you've done. Mike Vick built a huge facility dedicated to training dogs to kill other dogs. Ray Lewis either killed a guy or knows who did and is in the hall of fame. So if nobody is signing you, you either can't play or you are such a dbag that nobody will play on your team or you don't really want to play, you just want attention - aka kaepernick. Maybe Bauer can still pitch, but clearly nobody wants to be his teammate anywhere in the majors.
Life is better with a beagle
Ag4life80
AG
n_touch said:

Ag4life80 said:

Billionaires are a whole nother level
Hornbeck
AG
*see "Crazy" Jerry Jones
Harry Dunne
n_touch said:

Ag4life80 said:

Bauer has been humbled. Crane still hasn't paid the price.
W
AG
the Astros are 13-7 in June despite all the pitching injuries and Tucker's absence

there are 2 reasons why:

1. the all-star caliber players...are playing like all-stars this month (Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, et al)

2. the best players are finally playing (Dubon, Loperfido, et al)
BadAggie
AG

Mr.Bond
AG
BadAggie said:

This pleases me
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Harry Dunne
The Porkchop Express said:

My favorite all time football coach once said that if you have talent and you aren't a total dbag, someone will pay you to play no matter what else you've done. Mike Vick built a huge facility dedicated to training dogs to kill other dogs. Ray Lewis either killed a guy or knows who did and is in the hall of fame. So if nobody is signing you, you either can't play or you are such a dbag that nobody will play on your team or you don't really want to play, you just want attention - aka kaepernick. Maybe Bauer can still pitch, but clearly nobody wants to be his teammate anywhere in the majors.
Surprising take. I was expecting you to be in the "people can change" camp.

Don't you think the problem is more the PR hit that a team will take for hiring him? A guy that, regardless of having been railroaded is still clearly abusive towards women...and most casual fans will never dig deep enough to know he wasn't 100% guilty of what he was originally accused of.

And I know Bauer is a little long in the tooth to be making major character changes, but I do think many pro athletes have a very delayed emotional/character adolescence on account of the extreme self-centeredness it takes to succeed and the lack of accountability they have when they are stars.
BadAggie
AG
Starting rotation has somehow held up, but you gotta believe Blanco doesn't hit a wall, Brown doesn't cool off or teams figure out his sinker, Framber can avoid a 2nd half meltdown, Arrighetti can progress, and JV can hold off Father Time.

There's also the returns of Garcia and/or McCullers.

For right price would ideally make sense to add a starter at trade deadline but at what cost?

Beau Holder
AG
Starting to get excited for the draft as well, to see if Dana's gonna cook again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Harry Dunne said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Surprising take. I was expecting you to be in the "people can change" camp.

Don't you think the problem is more the PR hit that a team will take for hiring him? A guy that, regardless of having been railroaded is still clearly abusive towards women...and most casual fans will never dig deep enough to know he wasn't 100% guilty of what he was originally accused of.

And I know Bauer is a little long in the tooth to be making major character changes, but I do think pro athletes have a very delayed adolescence on account of the extreme self-centeredness it takes to succeed and the lack of accountability they have when they are stars.

Of course people can change. But plenty never choose to. If Bauer wanted to get signed, the first thing he should do is get off social media and go play for some independent league team to prove he wants to play ball. Prove that you can play baseball for a period of time without being an idiot. Even this year he made some really dumb comment on Twitter that had everyone in Japan pissed at him while pitching there.
Life is better with a beagle
redline248
AG
At some point, LMJ and Garcia are coming back. Houston doesn't need to be the team to give Bauer a lifeline
bearkatag15
AG

5 years $120M seems reasonable
Mr.Bond
AG
Alonso for 8 years? Yikes
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Alonso for 8 years? Yikes
Uncle Steve is already paying Lindor a king's ransom for years to come, and he's not even remotely worth it. Hell he's paying Verlander and Scherzer to pitch for different teams. Why not add another one on top of it?
txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

5 years $120M seems reasonable
I would be against a 5 year deal for Bregman with his exceptionally slow start this year. Not saying he won't end up getting that, but I would hope it isn't Crane paying it.
BadAggie
AG
I mean I guess you could see what's available for 1B at the trade deadline. Maybe a bullpen arm.

bearkatag15
AG
He has started slow every year of his career. He usually gets hot as the weather reaches triple digits
All I do is Nguyen
Just don't wanna give up any more prospects if we do trade. I know that seems unreasonable but we've traded away so much already
W
AG
oh, Mets' closer Diaz tossed for sticky stuff

Astros play the Mets next weekend -- he would be out
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
We're trading…..What then?
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He has started slow every year of his career. He usually gets hot as the weather reaches triple digits

wRC+ up to 109.
BadAggie
AG
In theory if the roster the Astros have is performing then there aren't glaring needs. SP comes to mind with the loss of Javier and Urquidy but you already have options on hand or returning.

Really there it is a question of an upgrade.

Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I look forward to the umpire who caught that telling us he's never felt anything that sticky in all his career.
iBrad
AG
You have to wonder why a guy like Bregman who historically starts slow hasn't attempted a different routine or requested more ABs in spring training to try to get going sooner. Any salary he gets should be prorated for underachieving in April and May.
First Page Last Page
Page 926 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.