***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,746,670 Views | 66744 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by bullard21k
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great offense and vintage JV = Happy flight home
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Mr. Sunshine Chandler never disappoints. Fails to mention that there were no playoffs at all until 1969. You either had the best record in the league and made the World Series or your season ended.
Life is better with a beagle
Prosperdick
AG

Keep.
Winning.
Series.
linkdude
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you can keep winning 2 out of every 3 ...

15-25
17-26
19-27
21-28
23-29
25-30
27-31
29-32
31-33
33-34
35-35

Beau Holder
AG
Talmbout
Beat40
Marvin said:

That is a great road series win!

Just keep stacking series wins with a few sweeps here and there.
mwm
That's 70 games played - not even half way through the season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I love watching Altuve move up the all-time lists, but here's some for JV today.

It was Win #259: He's 41st all-time, the next 3 guys ahead of him all played largely in the deadball era, including Gus Weyhing, who had the totally normal 26-28 rookie season in 1887 when he pitched 53 complete games. The next big names on the list are Bob Feller at 266. and Jim Palmer, the Steve Garvey of pitching.

He pitched 7 innings: That ties him with everyone's hero, Al Orth, for 89th all-time with 3,354.2. Orth, who died the year my parents were born, threw 338.2 innings in 1906 at age 33. To put t in perspective, Phil Niekro (4th) threw 5,404 innings, and he's almost two thousand innings behind Cy Young's 7,356. Cy Young threw over 400 innings in 4 of his first 5 seasons.

He struck out 8 batters: That gives him 3,365 for his career. He's just 2 behind the injured Max Scherzer for 11th all time and in his next start or two will enter the top 10, passing Scherzer (3,367) and Greg Maddux (3,371). If he stays healthy, he'll have a great shot to pass Walter Johnson (3,509) at the end of the year.

And this is who he goes home to on Mother's Day

Apologies for triggering any Ranger fan lurkers
tjack16
AG
If we win at a .580 clip we would reach .500 by game 100 (end of July)

That might be the most realistic route while navigating the pitching injuries.
cc10106
That's the road warrior Astros I'm used to seeing. Good job, fellas.

Hopefully Chas comes back with some power when the time comes.
3B Paul 97
AG
Well guys, you can now find me in MLB the Show '24.

I get to share the stage (although I'm more background) with the great Joey Loperfido.

My son got this card in the game and noticed me in the blue shirt (circled) from when I was recording the first hit, which I had texted to him that night.

I'm sure they will ask me to sign autographs at a Chick Fil A in the near future.
redline248
AG
In the month of May the "worthless Jake Meyers," as he was dubbed on this thread during Friday's game is batting:

.360/.407/.560 with 4 RBI and only 6 K in his 8 games played (25 ABs). He currently has the 4th best OPS on the team - .801
tjack16
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Well guys, you can now find me in MLB the Show '24.

I get to share the stage (although I'm more background) with the great Joey Loperfido.

My son got this card in the game and noticed me in the blue shirt (circled) from when I was recording the first hit, which I had texted to him that night.

I'm sure they will ask me to sign autographs at a Chick Fil A in the near future.

Maybe not autographs but you've gotten as much playing time since October 2022 as LMJ … so maybe you too get on an HEB commercial
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

From a recent Nightengale article. I can say with confidence it's more than the two mentioned here.
Haven't read through the thread yet, but why would he hire Alex Cora? If that was the case then why not Hinch and Lunhow? I just don't see that Cora would be a real choice.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch said:

texasaggie2015 said:

From a recent Nightengale article. I can say with confidence it's more than the two mentioned here.
Haven't read through the thread yet, but why would he hire Alex Cora? If that was the case then why not Hinch and Lunhow? I just don't see that Cora would be a real choice.

AstroKetch made clear that he would never be hired by the Astros org under any circumstances
The Porkchop Express
AG
Need to remember the Rockies on the Christmas card list. They just swept Arlington.
Marvin
AG
Rockies do the Astros a favor with a sweep of the Rangerettes.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Beau Holder
AG
Rags swept by the Rockies. Dodgers down 4-0 in San Diego as well. A's had to get four innings from Muller after Wood got knocked out by the Mariners in the third.

Jankees won but otherwise, solid day.
MaxPower
linkdude said:

Chas getting Wally Pip'd. What a great 4th OF to have if it works out that way. You could platoon him in LF easily with Lopes, and give Meyers days off in CF.
Trading Chas probably makes the most sense. KC's entire OF sucks and the Phillies can't be happy with what they've gotten out of Castellanos (defensively or offensively). No clue what you can get for him but with 2 years of control after this one and his track record I imagine something pretty solid.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower
Here is a trade that involved Chas and Pressly but isn't a "giving up" move. I have already noted Chas as being expendable and Pressly also is somewhat of a luxury. I also think Hunter might need to move to a high leverage RO role. Our biggest issue has been SP. Well, the Phillies have a monster rotation that goes 6 deep and have a need for righty relievers and an OF.

In this deal we get Taijuan Walker. Nothing sexy but he chews up innings and keeps you in games. His salary is roughly offset by Pressly and Chas this year. Basically for taking on Walker's salary (2 more years at $18M), you get a couple very interesting, high end prospects. Caba is the star. They just gave him a $3M signing bonus last year. He's an 18 year old switch hitting SS who is expected to stick as a well above average SS defensively, which gives him a high floor for a teenager. However, he has been extremely promising with the bat with some pop and ridiculous K:BB ratios. Klassen has big time stuff that went in the 6th round entirely due to only having one year of college experience from TJ surgery and command issues, but has been dominant in low A with improved command. The perfect type of arm for Dana to play with.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
I have a hard time seeing us try and pick up starters given the fact we have 3 expected to come off the injured list. I think there will be trades to be made when the injured list thins out
The Porkchop Express
AG
No way I'm dumping Chas because Meyers and Guperfido have had a couple of good weeks. This team needs all the bats it can get.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Can't wait to see what cute outfit Todd Kalas is rocking tomorrow!
MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

I have a hard time seeing us try and pick up starters given the fact we have 3 expected to come off the injured list. I think there will be trades to be made when the injured list thins out
Depends what they think about those guys roles. Might be better off in the pen or having Garcia / LMC tandem start together the rest of the year with one rotation spot.
agdaddy04
AG
Marvin said:

Rockies do the Astros a favor with a sweep of the Rangerettes.
wasn't just their first sweep of the season, it was their first series win.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
houag78
AG
About a week ago I was ready to jump ship, but the last 4 games have been very encouraging (except yesterday). We all have different ideas on how to get there, but if we play .600 ball these next 40 games, we will be close to .500 on the year as of mid season. As of today, 8 of the 30 MLB teams are .600 or better. With healthy starting pitching and timely hitting, we can be as well. No doubt in my mind when this team plays its game it is one of the top 8 in the league.
ktownag08
AG
Agree

I'm not giving up as a lot of baseball left!
Mathguy64
AG
Before the Detroit series I said 12-4 was the mark to aim for over the next 16 games.

2-1 to date.

10-3 left to go.
linkdude
AG
MaxPower
linkdude said:

Obligatory do he play 3B?
texasaggie2015
AG
Dana was thrilled they were able to sign him.
linkdude
AG
https://www.milb.com/player/jeron-williams-700784

Jeron Williams looking good for Asheville, too. He's already 23 so it feels like he should make it to Corpus this year.
First Page Last Page
Page 550 of 1908

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.