***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,743,758 Views | 66727 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by tjack16
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Julks DFA'd...someone will pick him up.

Hate this for Corey. Supposed to attend his wedding in November. His fiance and my wife are friends. Not sure if there's still interest but at one point he and Hensley were being looked at by the White Sox. Will post if I hear anything.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I wasn't on the thread but did Doobie get absolutely destroyed on here when he whiffed the easy fly ball yesterday? Jake would have been crucified
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Your wife has some very good friends. Can't wait to hear about Abby and Pena's wedding when y'all go
CFTXAG10
AG
They aren't an item anymore unfortunately, they still communicate but once the season started he got too busy for her, naturally.

I'm not complaining though. He's been a bright spot with no "distractions"
astros4545
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

They aren't an item anymore unfortunately, they still communicate but once the season started he got too busy for her, naturally.

I would like to throw my hat in the ring if she's still single
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Why is Meyers playing over Joey or Dubon? He's inferior offensively to both. It's a huge center field, he couldn't throw it across the infield without a hop
On what planet has Dubon been playing better than Meyers?

Meyers gets on base more and hits with more power. He hits the ball harder while putting it on the ground less and not popping it up. And he still has room to improve because he's underperforming his batted ball metrics.

I would understand if it was close. Right now Dubon's wRC+ is closer to Chas's than Jake's.

Then defensively, Jake leads the team in value even with 9th most innings played. Dubon is 7th at less than 1 (0.24823) Fielding Run Value.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, Dubon has a negative on his arm value. Its more than -1 and rounded to 0, but the arm argument is so overblown.

redline248
AG
I was going to reply about the Jake/Dubon debate but knew Farmer already had it covered

Dubon is not a better hitter than Jake. Loperfido might be better against RHP, but it's still too early to tell.
RED AG 98
AG
The metrics can favor Jake over Dubon, but metrics-be-damned what I see with my eyes is that the result on the field does not. Jake might have all the potential in the world and a higher ceiling, but the potential to real value ration is much worse than Dubon who plays much closer to his ability.
Farmer1906
AG
This is interesting.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

One of these dudes needs to wife up Bea. She's the type that produces good looking D1 sized babies.

https://instagr.am/p/C6pWrTnNBg7

https://instagr.am/p/C6pXvVoMLhk

redline248
AG
We would need ketch's input on if some organizational philosophy has led to worse ability to throw strikes
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Eyes lie all the time. You have no idea where his positioning is or any other hundreds of items. Metrics track and calculate all of that.

What you "see" is like when you decide you want a new car or heard a new car came out and all of a sudden you see it everywhere.

Your eyes want to see Jake's flaws and so you do. Doobies strength is his versatility which isn't used when he's playing CF in front of better center fielders and not giving other positions rest
Farmer1906
AG
It's not just not throwing strikes but throwing too many meatballs.
Farmer1906
AG
The metrics literally take into account the distance needed to travel to make the player, the time it takes to do it, then compares to what the actual player does. They know how quickly they react, the direction they react, and the route the take to the ball. Our eyes don't know all these things.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
That's what I said. Or at least tried to
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
FIIIIINE I will take one for the team here and do shoot my shot.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I was referencing the professional athletes lol
RED AG 98
AG
I agree with all of that, and I'm very much pro-metrics.

That doesn't change the fact that Dubon gets to balls, makes plays, and has hits in big situations. A good word to describe Jake is potential, no doubt it's there and the metrics see that. He still makes some very boneheaded decisions in the field that are often not errors. Getting to a ball and misplaying it is often worse than not getting there and holding the batter to a single. If he made more spectacular plays, as Jake M used to do, then it would be different. He really doesn't though.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm just really confused I guess. What kind of return do you think Jake Burger is getting? He's not a world beater by any means. He's never getting top prospects. But maybe you're more plugged in than me.
Read my previous post. The fish gave up their #5 prospect per MLB who was a top 100 prospect per fangraphs. Their farm isn't good but was ranked higher than ours last year by any farm ranking I could find. I guess I'm the one who is confused because I don't know why his value would plummet that much half a season later.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
houag78
AG
Glad to see Yordan in left field . OPS 330pts higher when he plays the field.
Project Gemini
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I agree with all of that, and I'm very much pro-metrics.

That doesn't change the fact that Dubon gets to balls, makes plays, and has hits in big situations. A good word to describe Jake is potential, no doubt it's there and the metrics see that. He still makes some very boneheaded decisions in the field that are often not errors. Getting to a ball and misplaying it is often worse than not getting there and holding the batter to a single. If he made more spectacular plays, as Jake M used to do, then it would be different. He really doesn't though.
Jake is not potentially better at playing CF. He is actually better at playing CF. Dubon can play every position in the IF and is a decent ball player, and he should get innings in the IF because we are thinner there than OF with Joey now getting innings in the OF.
W
AG
apparently the Tigers have added a new team color --> blue
W
AG
Altuve walks
linkdude
AG
It feels like Altuve has been in more deep counts this year.
tjack16
AG
W said:

apparently the Tigers have added a new team color --> blue

It's their new city connect
W
AG
Tucker walks
W
AG
could try a double steal
W
AG
ump getting fooled by the framing
Jackal99
AG
LOFL
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the smart move here is to walk big Jon with Bregman on deck
EastCoastAgNc
AG
first 2 batters on, no runs...that's Astros baseball!
redline248
AG
ugh, the stream I picked has a button for "away" but it's just the Tigers' crew. They have a dinosaur doing color

disappointing 1st
Beau Holder
AG
Very typically Astros to get the first two on and do not a damn thing. Guess the big win is 26 pitches on Mize.
W
AG
Espada waiting for the 3-run homer
First Page Last Page
Page 535 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.