***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,348,727 Views | 60900 Replies | Last: 55 sec ago by texasaggie2015
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the Astros' last road win in America: April 19th

where are the Rockies when you need them?
Mr.Bond
AG
Fire everyone
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

linkdude
AG
Give Yordan a day off tomorrow, IMO.
GigEM96
Maybe we need a new season thread

Burn this one
Beau Holder
AG
New batting order:

1. Jeremy Pena
2. Kyle Tucker
3. Mauricio Dubon
4. Peremy Jena
5. Tyle Kucker
6. Dauricio Mubon
7. Geremy Pena
8. Cyle Tucker
9. Jake Meyers

I might tune back in for that.
Ag_07
AG
Man it's gonna be a LONG summer fellas.
Timmay!
Not even competitive
BadAggie
AG
gambochaman
AG
Abandon all hope
Beau Holder
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man it's gonna be a LONG summer fellas.

Only if you keep subjecting yourself to this every day. Lot of fun baseball being played elsewhere and 26 or so other teams are still in it. 27 if you count the Angels with their 1.5 game lead on the Astros.
Cromagnum
AG
BadAggie said:

redline248
AG
This Astros team is definitely the equivalent of a hot chick that keeps farting in the pool. Lots of talent but keeps grossing you out
The Porkchop Express
AG
Tomorrow morning I'm making the official Astros Bingo and Hot Chicks thread. It's not meant to replace this thread, ,which has gotten me through some dark times over the years, just for some levity.

You'll pick your bingo card of events that might happen the rest of the year, you're free to post pictures of hotties, and no Rangers fans will be allowed to post.

Everybody gets 10 squares on their bingo card. Whoever picks the most things that come true gets a prize TBA courtesy of the House of Porkchop. I will record your picks when you send them in case the thread gets deleted.

When the Ranger mod decides to delete the thread, I'm just going to make a new one with slightly different criteria.

I got work to do. Peace out.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
BadAggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

A's beat the Strangers in Game 1 of the doubleheader today to improve to 18-20. Last year the A's won their 18th game on June 12th to improve to 18-50.

Astros: hold my beer
texasaggie2015
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

From source: Tucker extension talks have ramped up in a big way and its priority number one. It's far from a done deal, but it's very possible.

This is the same source who told me it was highly unlikely last year. I'm working to find out exactly what changed- but I believe the change came from the Astros side. That's all I have right now.

Bumping this for anyone who missed it the first time and needs some good news before calling it a night
tjack16
AG
I'm officially out on a 2024 Astros turnaround for a playoff spot. It's just not going to happen sadly.

Would be awesome though if in October somebody can quote this and say what a freezing take it is
RED AG 98
AG
Playoffs or not (because the west is so crappy), I am officially out on us winning more than 81 games. Very happy to be very wrong and endlessly ridiculed come September.
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

From source: Tucker extension talks have ramped up in a big way and its priority number one. It's far from a done deal, but it's very possible.

This is the same source who told me it was highly unlikely last year. I'm working to find out exactly what changed- but I believe the change came from the Astros side. That's all I have right now.

Bumping this for anyone who missed it the first time and needs some good news before calling it a night

Good news. Hope we sign him and it's not some absurd deal that anchors us for a lifetime to come and well past his prime.

Bregman is a mystery though. Either way, his abysmal start to this season has essentially ruined his chance of getting a large contract. Maybe if he turns it around decently, he takes on a team friendly deal.

I don't think the team can handle his inconsistent play though, and maybe he's just past his prime at this point. If we don't have any better options at 3B, may be good as a filler contract on the cheap until we can find a suitable replacement.
cc10106
I won't be surprised if this team finally puts it together again this season, nor would I be surprised if it's too late. I don't want to look ahead to next year, but the team we embarrassingly can't beat anymore turned it around after a bad season *based on expectations.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

"we've got to force it"...well at least they're not pressing
cc10106
W said:

another indication of a lousy coaching staff...

the 4-game series vs. the Yankees to start the season...

has just carried over into this 3-game series in May

Sunday's choke job was the worst thing that could happen for this trip. The bullpen has totally shat the bed this season.
BadAggie
AG
Pena 3 for 4 with a HR in his debut in the cleanup spot.

He's got good energy this season and performed well. I think you move him to the 2 and Yordan to cleanup.

Then

Singleton
Diaz
Bregman
Meyers
Dubon

During games having Dubon, Altuve, Pena, Tucker, Yordan is a nice stretch, gives you good odds that there is traffic in front of Tucker and Yordan on the bases. We need to revisit the GOBIFOTAY Principle.

Dubon needs to play every day.

BadAggie
AG
Get
On
Base
In
Front
Of
Tucker
And
Yordan

Best odds at the moment to do so are Dubon, Altuve, and Pena.
BadAggie
AG
Tucker hitting solo shots does us minimal good. He's our horse at the moment. Have faith Yordan will get it together. You need to maximize the damage those two can do.
BadAggie
AG
Who is the 3rd catcher? Berryhill?
redline248
AG
Why do we need a 3rd catcher?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BadAggie said:

Who is the 3rd catcher? Berryhill?

Salazar
Buck Compton
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

We have to force it… Yikes.

Also, who let Jimbo in? Just have to execute better??
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
It's ****ing over, bury the 2024 season, trade what you can and try again for 2025. 0 ****ing chance this team gets their head out of their ass. See y'all next year.
BudFox7
This is almost entirely due to pitching. A lot of injuries ya, but also some wild flops in performance. We have been in or just outside to 10 in ERA since 2015. Now we are bottom 3. What changed?

Hitting is fine overall.
Wabs
AG
BudFox7 said:

This is almost entirely due to pitching. A lot of injuries ya, but also some wild flops in performance. We have been in or just outside to 10 in ERA since 2015. Now we are bottom 3. What changed?

Hitting is fine overall.
Agree pitching has been balls, but I wouldn't say hitting is "fine overall". Three bats expected to produce have gone silent - Yordan, Diaz, and especially Bregman. Going into the season, those were 3 of the top 5 in our "expected" lineup. We're getting nice (but expected) seasons from Altuve and Tucker. The only good surprise has been Pena but that's not enough to overcome the Yordan, Diaz and Bregman woes.
Ag_07
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Jeez who said this? That's the exact opposite message that needs to be sent. They're beyond man up and fix it mode.

They need be in 'Fck it. It can't get any worse so let's go out and have fun and see what happens' mode.

Definitely not we gotta force it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Another big blow is that most expected Yanier and Chas to be just exceptional this year because of how they produced in limited opportunities in 2023. Chas has been injured, but woefully ineffective when heathy Diaz started off hot, but has tailed off considerably and is slugging is barely above .400 (406) after reaching .538 a year ago.

A lot of people fell into the trap that Diaz hitting 23 HR in 104 games would mean 30+ HR in 162 games, and that might still happen, but 3 HR through 34 games is not cutting it.

If it wasn't for Altuve/Tucker/Pena, this team might be battling the White Sox for worst record ever.

I still think the team can get to .500 at least if Javier, Luce, and Urquidy all come back and stay healthy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Also shoutout to the A's for drawing a TOTAL of 8,230 fans for their doubleheader yesterda
First Page Last Page
Page 519 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.