***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,881,861 Views | 67470 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by maca1028
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Day 8 of asking…
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Boils down to a bunch of stuff we already know + "they're 6-11 and have pitcher injuries" and suggesting the sum is a critical mass of "mini-dynasty" (lol) killing. I get why he has to sum it up for a national audience but it's not groundbreaking work. The fact he did it after this series win feels rushed to get it out before the record gets any better.

They could get shelled for three days by the Braves. They could score on Vines all night and steal one against Lopez or Fried because it's baseball. Then pitchers start coming back and the schedule lightens up. It's way too early for this, but after living in an AL run by the Astros for almost a decade, I get why the hope of freedom is being put into writing.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Loperfido Update

14 Games, 70 plate appearances
.333 BA
.429 OBP
.895 SLG
1.323 OPS

196 RC+
--
12.9% BB%
34.3% K%

--
95.5 EV
17.3 LA
55.9% HH%
18.5% Barrel%

What was his k rate in spring training? How does his k taste compare to his like Yordan and Tuck before their call ups?
W
AG
leadership doesn't make Abreu's bat faster

or make Singleton into a MLB hitter
texasaggie2015
AG
Not everyone is a leader. It's very much a natural thing. Some lead by example and others are vocal leaders. They don't have many (if any) vocal leaders in the clubhouse.

I mentioned this a few times and got **** on about it. And that's fine. But it's a serious issue and will likely continue to be.

I wouldn't bring it up if it hasn't been mentioned to me numerous times by someone who is in that same clubhouse often.
All I do is Nguyen
That's very true. I dont see Tuck or Yordan as a vocal leader, but Tuve and Bregs absolutely should be vocal in that locker room.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Loperfido Update

.333 BA
.429 OBP
.895 SLG
1.323 OPS

196 RC+
--
12.9% BB%
34.3% K%

--
95.5 EV
17.3 LA
55.9% HH%
18.5% Barrel%

What was his k rate in spring training? How does his k taste compare to his like Yordan and Tuck before their call ups?
Loperfido ST - 31.7%
Tucker 2019 AAA - 21.6%
Alavrez 2019 AAA - 19.8%
iBrad
AG
Where were those leaders last year when we couldn't win a game in our home ballpark? Where were they when we were absolutely sucking against the worst teams in baseball necessitating a late surge and Rangers' collapse to win the division?

I get that it's good to have some clubhouse leadership, but I didn't really see much from this team down the stretch last season that screamed great leadership. After obliterating Texas in a three-game series in Arlington, we had the perfect schedule to distance ourselves and take the division, yet we dicked around and almost missed the playoffs.

You can't really credit team leadership for coming back to win the division and making another ALCS without also pinning the late season and home struggles on them, too.
texasaggie2015
AG
I mentioned lack of leadership numerous times last year as it was brought up to me often as a part of the issues. There was some key voices in the clubhouse last year that aren't there this year- but guys like Carlos Correa and George Springer played a huge role during this run.

Another big issue is that the brains behind the operation are no longer there. Most, if not all, of the folks who played a role in building the dynasty are gone. From the front office all the way down to research and development. There's a lot of new faces.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gambochaman
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

That's very true. I dont see Tuck or Yordan as a vocal leader, but Tuve and Bregs absolutely should be vocal in that locker room.
that is not altuve's personality

I was having this convo a few days ago with some friends...I just dont see anyone in this team with the fiery personality required to be that vocal leader

maybe JV?
texasaggie2015
AG
JV does his own thing. He's a good dude- but he won't really go out of his way to mentor the young guys. He shows up and gets his work done and leaves.
DrZ
AG
Nobody wants to hear this but last year it was Maldy
tjack16
AG
DrZ said:

I think most of us knew that. Which is why I wanted him as the bench coach this year.
Beau Holder
AG
Maldy's players-only meetings never seemed to do much either.
n_touch
tjack16 said:

DrZ said:

I think most of us knew that. Which is why I wanted him as the bench coach this year.
Maybe we can trade for him and have the Sox eat most of his contract. Worked for us last year.
iBrad
AG
Take a step back and look at this season. After a brutal sweep to start the season that really should have been a split, at worst, we came out and won a home series against the Jays. After a demoralizing sweep in KC, we came back home and took a series against the Rangers scoring 8+ runs each game.

I haven't yet seen evidence that the lack of leadership is going to lead to our demise. It's a long season, though, so we'll see how it plays out.

Also think back to last year. Altuve was on the IL. McCullers had surgery, Garcia had surgery, Urquidy went on the 60-day, Yordan spent time on the IL, Brantley had set back after set back and looked like he'd never play again, and the Abreu and Montero signings already looked like ass. It would have been easy to write the same article.

Eventually, the run will come to an end, but I don't think we'll be able to call it in April.
Marvin
AG
iBrad said:

Where were those leaders last year when we couldn't win a game in our home ballpark? Where were they when we were absolutely sucking against the worst teams in baseball necessitating a late surge and Rangers' collapse to win the division?

I get that it's good to have some clubhouse leadership, but I didn't really see much from this team down the stretch last season that screamed great leadership. After obliterating Texas in a three-game series in Arlington, we had the perfect schedule to distance ourselves and take the division, yet we dicked around and almost missed the playoffs.

You can't really credit team leadership for coming back to win the division and making another ALCS without also pinning the late season and home struggles on them, too.

I saw last year as a team that took on Dusty's mentality. Altuve would have already sat two games this year, and Yordan would not have played the field. Dusty was talking in April about the team being tired and needing days off.

They may not have a vocal leader this year, but at least they don't have a vocal depressor, either.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
If we don't blow the 2 leads against the Yankees then 8-9 doesn't feel as bad. Even salvaging one against them and the royals would make this feel a lot different at the start
f1ghtintexasaggie
Marvin said:

iBrad said:

I saw last year as a team that took on Dusty's mentality. Altuve would have already sat two games this year, and Yordan would not have played the field. Dusty was talking in April about the team being tired and needing days off.

They may not have a vocal leader this year, but at least they don't have a vocal depressor, either.

Amen.
Beat40
gambochaman said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

that is not altuve's personality

I was having this convo a few days ago with some friends...I just dont see anyone in this team with the fiery personality required to be that vocal leader

maybe JV?

You don't need to have a fiery personality to be a vocal leader.
f1ghtintexasaggie
tjack16 said:

If we don't blow the 2 leads against the Yankees then 8-9 doesn't feel as bad. Even salvaging one against them and the royals would make this feel a lot different at the start

Hader blew the save against TOR too. Really should have three more in the W column. No use crying about it now. Would be nice to steal this next series against ATL, but in any case, the schedule starts to ease up some afterwards. Hope we keep momentum even if we struggle the next couple games.
Beat40
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

tjack16 said:

Hader blew the save against TOR too. Really should have three more in the W column. No use crying about it now. Would be nice to steal this next series against ATL, but in any case, the schedule starts to ease up some afterwards. Hope we keep momentum even if we struggle the next couple games.
Been saying this since the first series with the Rangers when everyone was freaking out...it eases up until like the end of June.

The offense appears to be waking up. They are going to have to stay away for the next month and win the team some games with the current rotation. Don't like having to lean solely on Javier and Blanco, but it is what it is. Hopefully JV gets back, is healthy, and provides good outtings to help out. Really, really need Brown to step up and find a way to only give up 3 runs over 5 every game these next few weeks.
htxag09
AG
Marvin said:

iBrad said:

Didn't Yordan play LF in two games of our first three game series last year?

And last year also saw most of our players playing in the World Baseball Classic, several of which being injured in it. So, yeah, some of them probably did need a break.

I'm glad Dusty is gone. But some of the criticism is just old, not to mention very selective in your memories....
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Loperfido Update

.333 BA
.429 OBP
.895 SLG
1.323 OPS

196 RC+
--
12.9% BB%
34.3% K%

--
95.5 EV
17.3 LA
55.9% HH%
18.5% Barrel%

The K rate is downright scary.

When looking at SO/AB, for 2022 and 2023, his K rate is 25.77% and 28.69% respectively. K-rate did jump as he was A+ in 2022 and A+-AAA in 2023.

In 2023, his time at Corpus Christi, 81 SO in 3141 AB, or 25.80% K-rate. Pretty in-line with his K- rate at A+ ball. That's actually encouraging for me.

in 2023 during his time in SL, 45 SO in 119 AB, or 37.82% K-rate. So AAA ball is the big jump in K-rate. Makes since as they should be the closest to MLB ready players.

I understand why the Astros think he's not ready to come up. He's making it hard, but I agree with that assessment. I would like him to face almost an entire year of AAA pitching to see if he can bring the K rate down. At minimum, I'd like him to face AAA pitching until the All-Star break.
tjack16
AG
How awesome would it be for Altuve to win another MVP this year and cement his HOF candidacy
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

tjack16 said:

Been saying this since the first series with the Rangers when everyone was freaking out...it eases up until like the end of June.

The offense appears to be waking up. They are going to have to stay away for the next month and win the team some games with the current rotation. Don't like having to lean solely on Javier and Blanco, but it is what it is. Hopefully JV gets back, is healthy, and provides good outtings to help out. Really, really need Brown to step up and find a way to only give up 3 runs over 5 every game these next few weeks.

I really hope the pattern of playing down to opponents left when dusty did. The Astros have not been good in years past against teams they should beat.
MaxPower
At first base, a creative solution might be to pursue Ozuna from the Braves. He's a bit of a dirtbag but, while he hasn't played 1B because they have Olson, he has gotten a lot of work there and the coaching staff thinks he's pretty good (see article below). As for who you could trade, I think once the pitching is healthy you could look to move a starter, which the Braves need much more than a bat.

https://www.si.com/mlb/braves/news/braves-slugger-adds-much-needed-defensive-versatility-to-his-game
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
texasaggie2015
AG
Hard pass. Hasn't played an inning of first base in the big leagues and he's a piece of crap.
cc10106
Despite leading the league in hits, I counted 14 "big innings" already allowed which I would guess is also among if not the most in MLB. Arlington had one late yesterday with Semien's homer, but that was it for the last 2 days. I would like to see that become a trend this week and continue to minimize damage better moving forward.
JohnnyTexAg1995
All I do is Nguyen said:

tuve should but you can easily tell from his personality he is an example guys and the buddy type. Vocal leadership requires you to be comfortable pissing someone off, and I don't think that is Altuve imo
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Hard pass. Hasn't played an inning of first base in the big leagues and he's a piece of crap.
Same.

The offense is good enough to survive with poor 1B play.

130 wRC+

Just behind 131 ATL and ahead of red-hot MIL (127), red-hot NYY (125), TEX (121), and even the 500 M payroll of the LAD (114)

Believe it or not, 1B is getting better.

Season wRC+ 27 (was negative) and now its second to last and not dead last.
Last 6 Days wRC+ 103 (above league avg!) and its 99% thanks to Singleton.
The Beef01
AG
tjack16 said:

How awesome would it be for Altuve to win another MVP this year and cement his HOF candidate.
I'd love it b/c it would just cause absolute lunacy from the idiots that still troll every X thread yelling "cheater" no matter what the topic is.
First Page Last Page
Page 250 of 1928

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.