***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,871,044 Views | 67425 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by f1ghtintexasaggie
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mathguy64 said:

The problem is he did this last year and he was injured and hid it.

Is this another injury that he won't talk about or is it just old man syndrome? Surely the team knows. And surely they won't take his word for it after him not being truthful last year.

That bat is so slow through the zone it sure looks like old man syndrome. And that's never going to improve. Add in the sketchy defense and this only ends one way.

So do they just cut someone else and have him play backup or just cut him? In August you cut him. He's already been paid most of the salary. Just eat the rest and all of next year. Not cutting him in May means you waste a roster spot on the 26 and 40 man for the season.

Maybe they get creative and lie and put him on the 60 day IL for some unknown reason like anal fissures. That solves a myriad of issues. He gets paid but both roster spots open up.

It seems more mental than anything. He looked great from Aug 23 into the playoffs
texasaggie2015
AG
The wildest thing is his bat speed looked normal in the spring. I was actually optimistic after watching his ABs in February/most of March. He wasn't putting up huge numbers but he looked healthy.

And then the regular season started and he was a totally different player. It's bizarre. I keep being told that if they really thought he was done he wouldn't be playing and that it's all mental. And that's great... but if he can't snap out of it, like you said, they have to find someone else who can get it done.

I honestly feel bad for him. I've heard nothing but good things about him and he seems to be a good teammate. This has to be hard on him. But at the end of the day, if you can't help the team win games they have to find someone who can.

It's a damn shame. Hopefully he leaves us speechless and starts hitting the baseball soon.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Hallelujah. This was a dumb idea from the start
W
AG
Singleton has made 4 starts at 1st base already

and Abreu batted 8th in his last start

changes are afoot

Farmer1906
AG
Offensive Stats

.266 BA (4th)
.330 OBP (10th)
.421 SLG (7th)
.750 OPS (9th)
119 wRC+ (4th)
--
17.7% K% (2nd)
8.1% BB% (21st)
0.46 BB/K (7th)
--
89.4 EV (8th)
16.2 LA (1st)
37.7% HH% (18th)
7.0% Barrel% (19th)
--
131 Hits (2nd)
17 HRs (3rd-tied)
55 Runs (15th-tied)

Overall, I have to say it's not bad... not bad at all. The runs stick out as lower than it should be, but we know the underlying issue.

Runners is Scoring Position
.231 BA (23rd)
.294OBP (24th)
.315 SLG (26th)
.609 OPS (27th)
80 wRC+ (25th)

Who are the culprits? (bad day to have a name start with a J)
  • Jose Abreu - 12 PA - 1 RBI - -74 wRC+ (yes, that's a negative)
  • Jose Altuve - 11 PA - 0 RBI - -25 wRC+ (wild for someone playing at a very high level)
  • Jon Singleton - 6 PA - 0 RBI - -10 wRC+
  • Jake Meyers - 8 PA - 1 RBI - 25 wRC+
  • Jeremy Pena - 17 PA - 4 RBI - 33 wRC+
  • Alex Bregman - 16 PA - 2 RBI - 34 wRC+

Even the guys playing well have strange stat lines. Take Tucker for example. He is 5-17 with 3 Walks yet he only has 3 RBI with RISP.

As a team, we have 30 hits with RISP yet only 31 RBI. Maybe Gary Pettis is an issue. Maybe we're getting bad jumps/reads. Maybe this is a giant fluke that'll blow over.

Even with the Abreu issue, I trust this offense to carry this team.

texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, as far as the offense goes, I'm chalking this up to good ole baseball being baseball. I think we'll see some regression to the mean soon.
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Dombroski and Treadwell are probably our highest ceiling pitching prospects at this point, right?
texasaggie2015
AG
Treadwell has a really high ceiling but a super low floor. One of those players. But yeah, as far as highest ceiling goes, it's likely those two guys.

I'm really intrigued by Blubaugh. He seems to have figured something out.
bearkatag15
AG
This seems like an extremely quick call up
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Treadwell has a really high ceiling but a super low floor. One of those players. But yeah, as far as highest ceiling goes, it's likely those two guys.

I'm really intrigued by Blubaugh. He seems to have figured something out.
Great minds. From back in Jan.

Quote:

I'd also keep my eyes on A.J. Blubaugh. He moved to the bullpen for fall league. He's got nice velo, a nasty cutter, and can rack up some Ks.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's pitching for Fayetteville, not Houston
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This seems like an extremely quick call up
Not a call-up. Just finally making his MINOR league debut. He's coming back from injury.
texasaggie2015
AG
Blubaugh is an example of a kid who works hard and takes coaching well. He's tweaked a lot of his mechanics and he's seen good results. The complete opposite of Whitley who has done his own thing and bascially told coaches to **** off at every level.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Blubaugh is an example of a kid who works hard and takes coaching well. He's tweaked a lot of his mechanics and he's seen good results. The complete opposite of Whitley who has done his own thing and bascially told coaches to **** off at every level.

Well at least it's working out well for him (Whitley)
f1ghtintexasaggie
AggiEE said:

Mathguy64 said:

The problem is he did this last year and he was injured and hid it.

Is this another injury that he won't talk about or is it just old man syndrome? Surely the team knows. And surely they won't take his word for it after him not being truthful last year.

That bat is so slow through the zone it sure looks like old man syndrome. And that's never going to improve. Add in the sketchy defense and this only ends one way.

So do they just cut someone else and have him play backup or just cut him? In August you cut him. He's already been paid most of the salary. Just eat the rest and all of next year. Not cutting him in May means you waste a roster spot on the 26 and 40 man for the season.

Maybe they get creative and lie and put him on the 60 day IL for some unknown reason like anal fissures. That solves a myriad of issues. He gets paid but both roster spots open up.

It seems more mental than anything. He looked great from Aug 23 into the playoffs

Was he really great? Or just great in comparison to the **** bar he set all season?
redline248
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

will all used to bag on Chandler, but ever since he moved to the Athletic he's wrote some good, straight forward pieces on the Stros'. I've enjoyed the less dewshy side of him.
But he isn't less dewshy. He just moved his criticism toward someone else.
W
AG
it was discussed on the postgame show yesterday...

the Astros have an early season propensity to hit singles w/RISP...

that don't score runs

the runner on 2nd is only advancing to 3rd

W
AG
speaking of underlying issues...

it's not a problem right now because the hits are falling in at a .315 clip...

but Pena has 1 walk in 56 plate appearances
texasaggie2015
AG

But why though?
n_touch
texasaggie2015 said:

But why though?
Come on man you know you been itching for a flat bill hat with a buckle. I may get this for a day when my wife annoys me and wear it in public to really get her going.
texasaggie2015
AG
I can't even begin to describe how much of a dork I would look like if I wore that
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

But why though?
Why not just make an actual belt buckel?
Sex Panther
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Treadwell has a really high ceiling

Well he is 6'8"

texasaggie2015
AG
Dammit I just might have to buy stars just so I can put you on the ignore list after that
Heineken-Ashi
Farmer1906 said:

Offensive Stats

.266 BA (4th)
.330 OBP (10th)
.421 SLG (7th)
.750 OPS (9th)
119 wRC+ (4th)
--
17.7% K% (2nd)
8.1% BB% (21st)
0.46 BB/K (7th)
--
89.4 EV (8th)
16.2 LA (1st)
37.7% HH% (18th)
7.0% Barrel% (19th)
--
131 Hits (2nd)
17 HRs (3rd-tied)
55 Runs (15th-tied)

Overall, I have to say it's not bad... not bad at all. The runs stick out as lower than it should be, but we know the underlying issue.

Runners is Scoring Position
.231 BA (23rd)
.294OBP (24th)
.315 SLG (26th)
.609 OPS (27th)
80 wRC+ (25th)

Who are the culprits? (bad day to have a name start with a J)
  • Jose Abreu - 12 PA - 1 RBI - -74 wRC+ (yes, that's a negative)
  • Jose Altuve - 11 PA - 0 RBI - -25 wRC+ (wild for someone playing at a very high level)
  • Jon Singleton - 6 PA - 0 RBI - -10 wRC+
  • Jake Meyers - 8 PA - 1 RBI - 25 wRC+
  • Jeremy Pena - 17 PA - 4 RBI - 33 wRC+
  • Alex Bregman - 16 PA - 2 RBI - 34 wRC+

Even the guys playing well have strange stat lines. Take Tucker for example. He is 5-17 with 3 Walks yet he only has 3 RBI with RISP.

As a team, we have 30 hits with RISP yet only 31 RBI. Maybe Gary Pettis is an issue. Maybe we're getting bad jumps/reads. Maybe this is a giant fluke that'll blow over.

Even with the Abreu issue, I trust this offense to carry this team.

Or maybe like some of us have been saying, you have guys positioned in the lineup in places that don't suit their strengths.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
Farmer1906
AG
You're overrating the lineup order.
Sex Panther
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Dammit I just might have to buy stars just so I can put you on the ignore list after that

And miss my brilliant analysis and contributions such as - "Jose Abreu ****ing sucks"

Your loss buddy
Beat40
I've stopped responding to him about this topic because every argument he's made has pointed toward Yordan in the 2-spot or in the 3-spot at minimum even though he wants him in the 4-spot.
texasaggie2015
AG
Well damn you just roped me back in. You're safe
tjack16
AG
Call your shot on our record against the Rangers and Braves over the next 6.

I got 3-3. Win 2/3 against the Rangers and 1/3 against Atlanta
Farmer1906
AG
6-0
linkdude
AG
**** it, 6-0. Shock the world. Gotta first start with a win, then a streak. Baseball is weird.
CFTXAG10
AG
Give me 2/3 and 2/3 for a 4-2 record. I have no reason to be optimistic but I'm gonna be anyway
First Page Last Page
Page 224 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.