***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,866,632 Views | 67416 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by BCEDAg
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That's what you take out of that quote?

Hasn't Hader said that himself? It's why Musgrove said what he did.
texasaggie2015
AG
Whether he said it or not, I don't see why it's hard to grasp that they don't want their closer throwing multiple innings this early in the season. Especially after we saw the effects of fatigue in our bullpen last year.

It's a marathon.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Whether he said it or not, I don't see why it's hard to grasp that they don't want their closer throwing multiple innings this early in the season. Especially after we saw the effects of fatigue in our bullpen last year.

It's a marathon.
Pressley threw enough pitches in the 8th to where he was gonna be down today. Burning your closer for 2 innings, especially after the bullpen marathon they had on Monday, would be even dumber than the pinch hit decision. If folks want to complain about something from the 10th inning, complain about the wretched showing by the offense.
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

It's a marathon.
on top of the injuries with our starting pitching right now. I agree. It shouldn't be hard for anyone to grasp.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It's a marathon.
it's a marathon, but you're in position to win a game. If you hold them scoreless in the bottom of the 10th, you have Meyers on second with nobody out and Altuve and Alvarez coming up in the top of the 11th.
cc10106
Glad i finally watched Dune 2 last night instead of the game. Excited for Arrighetti's first start today.
texasaggie2015
AG
To each his own- I trust the veteran guy who knows his body and the staff who manages him. If they don't want to overuse him early, I completely understand that decision.
Farmer1906
AG
Were we in a position to win the game? The win probability for us was 19% after the top of the 10th. Even with Hader, the odds were we were going to lose after we didn't score.
Farmer1906
AG
Statcast metrics say to keep an eye on these 10 players

[url=https://www.mlb.com/player/yainer-diaz-673237?season=2024&team=117][/url]
Quote:

Yainer Diaz, Astros

Key stats: 38.5 percent chase rate, 17.9 percent whiff rate

Diaz already broke out with a strong rookie season in which he bopped 23 home runs, displayed elite pop time and arm strength and finished fifth in Rookie of the Year voting. The young catcher had two clear weaknesses, though: he finished in the first percentile in chase rate and 37th percentile in whiff rate. Diaz flipped that script early in '24 by shaving his chase rate by more than 5 percentage points and his whiff rate by nearly 10 percentage points. After striking out more than six times as often as he walked in '23, he only has twice as many strikeouts as walks this season while he is maintaining his contact quality.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Were we in a position to win the game? The win probability for us was 19% after the top of the 10th. Even with Hader, the odds were we were going to lose after we didn't score.
Farmer1906
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

That's what you take out of that quote?

Hasn't Hader said that himself? It's why Musgrove said what he did.
It's a little more complex than that.

Hader was the multi-inning stopper for the Brewers early on. In 2019 he had 23 games where he threw >1 inning including an 8 out save in April. When arbitration came around, he was told that doesn't matter. The calculation is based on saves. Hader played baseball's game and said if you don't think what I am doing is valuable then I will do what you value ($$) which is 3 outs at the end of a game. In addition to that he did it to stay healthy so he could cash in his one shot once he hit FA after 7 years of team control. Now that he's gotten paid and paid long-term for a RP, there is no reason he can't be stretched when its appropriate. Even after his reluctance to throw multi-innings, he did it in the postseason in 2020 and 2022.
agdaddy04
AG
I didn't realize that, thanks.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

So far, the 1B position for Houston is producing a blistering 18 wRC+. Surprisingly, that isn't last. That distinction belongs to the Reds, who sport a 6 at the position.
Not quite. I think you chose "primary first", not "as first". That grabs Caratini's stats too.

We're dead ass last in production from 1B.
.114 BA
.170 OBP
.114 SLG
-16 wRC+

Incredible
Farmer1906
AG
Hader talked about it a little after he signed with us.

~13 min mark

agproducer
AG
The knock on Hader for the IP is overblown.

3B Paul 97
AG
Can Madison Bumgarner play first? He is a free agent, hits better than Abreu and can pitch when some innings are needed.
Wabs
AG
Man, what a signing Teoscar Hernadez has been for the Dodgers. One year deal for the OFer.

.930 OPS, 4 HR, and NL leading 15 RBI.
redline248
AG
I've seen a few Dusty to Espada comparisons since last night so I just want to post that there is a difference in making a move that doesn't work and constantly not putting your team in a position to win by the way you structure your lineup.

At least Espada is not leaving Abreu at 4th or 5th or Diaz on the bench
The Porkchop Express
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Can Madison Bumgarner play first? He is a free agent, hits better than Abreu and can pitch when some innings are needed.
Our special assistant to the owner has a great idea for that hole at 1B.

AggiEE
redline248 said:

I've seen a few Dusty to Espada comparisons since last night so I just want to post that there is a difference in making a move that doesn't work and constantly not putting your team in a position to win by the way you structure your lineup.

At least Espada is not leaving Abreu at 4th or 5th or Diaz on the bench

Exactly

Our team had 9 innings and 14 hits to score more than. 3 runs.

They lost it. We had no real bullpen options in extra innings without sacrificing depth of the next few games
EastCoastAgNc
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

I'll continue to say this...sign Grienke and tell him you want him to hit and learn 1st base. He's a gold glover, he can figure it out.
Cynic
texasaggie2015 said:

It's a marathon.

He threw 11 pitches. That's nothing. He could have pitched another inning and he would be fine. Especially since he's gettng paid $19 million for the year.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is a WhiteSox media guy...the replies in here are just Astros fan trauma dumping
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

With lots and lots of alcohol
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
dixichkn
AG
gambochaman said:

Im starting to prepare myself for the possibility that this team simply wont put it all together this year
I did this after the third game
Beerosch
AG
Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

As bad as Moldy is Abreu is worse...at least Moldy has a double
texasaggie2015
AG
Stopping for a while and starting again is something some relievers aren't accustomed to. They warm up quickly and once they cool down they can be injury prone if they go out and pitch more. I promise you it's not as simple as it sounds.

I don't understand why this so hard to grasp. Yes- he's getting paid a lot of money. But they also know his arm and they know what's best long term.
Boiling Denim
Beerosch said:

Marvin said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

As bad as Moldy is Abreu is worse...at least Moldy has a double
Moldy also technically slightly improved the last 3 seasons but was very consistent in his production. The entire organization and fanbase knew what we were getting with him

Abreu is just a cataclysmic drop-off at this pace
Boiling Denim
Correa doing Correa things and throwing a laser guided missile to nail Ohtani at the plate

Watch Kirilloff and Correa combine to nab Ohtani at the plate | Streamable
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Stopping for a while and starting again is something some relievers aren't accustomed to. They warm up quickly and once they cool down they can be injury prone if they go out and pitch more. I promise you it's not as simple as it sounds.

I don't understand why this so hard to grasp. Yes- he's getting paid a lot of money. But they also know his arm and they know what's best long term.

It's a message board. People discuss, they wonder, they rant, they celebrate, they postulate, and sometimes they self-immolate.

I wouldn't worry so much about defending the club. TexAgs should be consumed for entertainment purposes only!
texasaggie2015
AG
Just sharing info that some may be unaware of... sorry. I'll tone it down.
Marvin
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Correa doing Correa things and throwing a laser guided missile to nail Ohtani at the plate

Watch Kirilloff and Correa combine to nab Ohtani at the plate | Streamable

Now THAT was a perfect throw!
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Just sharing info that some may be unaware of... sorry. I'll tone it down.

All good- just don't want you to burn out from addressing all our asinine comments.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 201 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.