***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,866,170 Views | 67414 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by AggiEE
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

So far, the 1B position for Houston is producing a blistering 18 wRC+. Surprisingly, that isn't last. That distinction belongs to the Reds, who sport a 6 at the position.
Not quite. I think you chose "primary first", not "as first". That grabs Caratini's stats too.

We're dead ass last in production from 1B.
.114 BA
.170 OBP
.114 SLG
-16 wRC+

tjack16
AG
So you're saying Abreu gives bad offense and bad defense… but the alternatives (Diaz, Caratini, dubon) are good offense and also bad defense. Seems like an okay trade off to me. If somebody is bad at both and you have another option who is good at one, then I'd make the switch

I'm not as concerned about the defense. I'm worried about a guaranteed 0-4 pretty much every night
MaxPower
TRM said:

iBrad said:

What was Dana doing this offseason? We needed more starting pitching, more relief pitching, more outfield depth, and a better first baseman. I cant believe we didn't address those needs with the available payroll we had.
I don't know about more starting pitching. There was plenty, but the injury bug hit. For the price of Hader, we could have gotten more relief pitching and outfield depth.
Hader was a Crane move. One thing that concerned me around the Click dispute was the rumor Crane didn't like his inability or unwillingness to make big moves. Hader is a great player but he's also costing you draft picks. I'm not convinced Crane appreciates how valuable those are.

Brown so far strikes me as basically being the assistant GM in charge of player development and the draft / IFA. I get the feeling the big league club decisions are primarily Crane.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The decision to pinch hit Singleton for dubon was a terrible one last night. I think there's legitimate criticism to be had for Joe there.
Tuve
Really need to win these next 2 games with the rangers and braves coming up
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MaxPower said:

TRM said:

iBrad said:

What was Dana doing this offseason? We needed more starting pitching, more relief pitching, more outfield depth, and a better first baseman. I cant believe we didn't address those needs with the available payroll we had.
I don't know about more starting pitching. There was plenty, but the injury bug hit. For the price of Hader, we could have gotten more relief pitching and outfield depth.
Hader was a Crane move. One thing that concerned me around the Click dispute was the rumor Crane didn't like his inability or unwillingness to make big moves. Hader is a great player but he's also costing you draft picks. I'm not convinced Crane appreciates how valuable those are.

Brown so far strikes me as basically being the assistant GM in charge of player development and the draft / IFA. I get the feeling the big league club decisions are primarily Crane.

If crane is going to make all the free agent moves and trades himself, he should just go full Jerry Jones and be the GM. He's got about as good a track record as Jerry right now (Abreu, Montero, LMJ extension, etc). Acting as the GM while you're the owner and you have a GM just makes the GM look like a stooge you run out in front of the media to justify your own spending.
Booma94
AG
I said when Crane fired Click that is seemed to be a Jerry Jones situation where the owner thinks he's (in this case) a baseball guy. Many roasted me saying the Astros were in the midst of an unprecedent run of success, so Crane has to know what he's doing and it wasn't Jerry-like at all. Unfortunately these things take a while for the warts to appear.
Boiling Denim
EastCoastAgNc said:

The decision to pinch hit Singleton for dubon was a terrible one last night. I think there's legitimate criticism to be had for Joe there.
Singleton is being given chances to prove his worth to the detriment of the team. He's done absolutely nothing in his career to get this respect; unlike Abreu who should be given some rope to hang himself. Abreu at least had an amazing playoff run not that long ago.

I think a few of the more ruthless organizations would have pushed the eject button on this Singleton thing already. Or wouldn't have even gone into the season with him if we're being honest
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Dubon vs a RHP whose primary pitch is a sweeper is a terrible match-up for him.

Now maybe Singleton isn't the right play because he's never produced against any pitch at the big league level. But that is a smart time to fire a pinch-hit bullet. Dana needs to get Espada better bullets.
AustinCountyAg
Wabs said:

Grades so far:

Altuve: A-
Yordan: A
Tucker: B-
Bregman: D
Diaz: B
Chas: D
Abreu: F
Pena: B+
Dubon: B
Meyers: D+
Singleton: F
Caratini: A
Kessinger: ???

Espada: D. He's beginning to lose me with some of his lineup and in-game decisions. He has got to sit Abreu and Singleton and try something else at 1B. Diaz? Dubon? Does Caratini play 1B? Hell, Kessinger?? He also needs to drop Bregman down to 7 or 8. Chas probably needs to some time off as well (unfortunately we have little OF depth/options thanks Dana).

Today I'd shake things up a bit and go with something like:

Altuve 2B
Yordan DH
Tucker RF
Diaz 1B
Pena SS
Dubon CF
Bregman 3B
Caratini C
Chas or Meyers LF
not sure of your definition of "complete overhaul", but moving Bregs to 7th, moving your starting C to 1b, starting the backup C, forcing the GM to then bring up a C from AAA, which then forces someone off the current 26 man roster seems like a decent size overhaul imo considering it's only April 10th.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll just excuse myself and my rational thoughts from this thread lol
ttha_aggie_09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll just excuse myself and my rational thoughts from this thread lol
Yeah get out of here with that crap

texasaggie2015
AG
That was a horrendous matchup for Dubon. They have access to info that you and I don't have. Last year we griped about Dusty not going with analytics. Now we're griping about Joe using analytics. Which one do we want?
Farmer1906
AG
Loperfido went 1-3 with 3 BB and 2 SO. His single was 104.5 off the bat.

Nine game stats
.265 BA
.357 OBP
.706 SLG
1.063 OPS
148 wRC+

If he continues about like this (even with the 38% K%) then I think he's up and Singleton is gone. We need to wait another 3 days to manipulate his service times for it not to count as a full year.

Edit: I don't think it'll happen in 3 days, but more like when he reaches the 80-100 PA mark.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That was a horrendous matchup for Dubon. They have access to info that you and I don't have. Last year we griped about Dusty not going with analytics. Now we're griping about Joe using analytics. Which one do we want?
I want Dubon batting with the game on the line in the 10th instead of Jake Meyers.
BQRyno
AG
The only thing Singleton does better than Dubon is eat cheeseburgers.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I want Dubon batting with the game on the line in the 10th instead of Jake Meyers.
I know it's early but Jake has hit the piss out of the ball all spring and continues to do so in season.
Booma94
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Loperfido went 1-3 with 3 BB and 2 SO. His single was 104.5 off the bat.

Nine game stats
.265 BA
.357 OBP
.706 SLG
1.063 OPS
148 wRC+

If he continues about like this (even with the 38% K%) then I think he's up and Singleton is gone. We need to wait another 3 days to manipulate his service times for it not to count as a full year.

Edit: I don't think it'll happen in 3 days, but more like when he reaches the 80-100 PA mark.
I watched him put in about an hour of work at 1B on Sunday taking ground balls and working on footwork, and it wasn't horrible. I think he's definitely in the plan sooner rather than later.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Kempin ain't easy
TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

Kempin ain't easy

Holliday and his younger brother Ethan are stud baseball players for sure. I've always kind of liked the Orioles, mainly because that was my LL team when I was a kid and grew up watching Cal Ripken, Jr. so I hope they can do well with the absurd amount of young talent they have.
htxag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

None of the above. People just want to be pissed. Duh.
Johnsy3
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Kempin ain't easy
It is 1,000% insane they are letting Holliday wear #7. No Oriole has worn it since Cal Ripken Sr. passed away in 1999. He wore it as their manager / coach for years, and before that Mark Belanger, maybe the best defensive SS ever besides Ozzie, wore it for 16 years.
bearkatag15
AG

texasaggie2015
AG

If true, this is good news. But remember Dana is rarely truthful when speaking to the media so take it with a grain of salt. But I haven't heard anything on my end that indicates otherwise.
The Porkchop Express
AG
So we can talk **** about Dusty Baker day after day while he's managing the team to 4 straight ALCS's and 2 World Series appearances, but badmouthing the new guy when we're 4-8 is off limits?

These rules are confusing.

First 4-8 start since 2013.
texasaggie2015
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Good for him sticking up for his guy. He's not going to throw him under the bus.

I've been told that there's some concern but they aren't as worried as we are. It's very possible there's conversations behind the scenes that I don't know about though. It's going to be fascinating to monitor over the next few weeks.
Wabs
AG
Sounds like Dana is telling us that we'll see Abreu alot more.
AgLA06
AG
I get both sides.

He's under contract for this year and next year for decent money and it's less than 10% of the way into the season. Way to early to make roster moves because of a horrible start. Especially since we don't have a lot of flexibility with player options right now anyway and lots of moves yet to come as injured players come back.

The other side of that is that this isn't an isolated issue and we saw it all last year as well. It's more the norm than the exception as far as his career as an Astro is concerned.

If we were above .500 and looking good overall, I can see letting him try and play through it. But we desperately need the production right now.
iBrad
AG
I don't understand the Jake Meyers hate. He's the 9-hole hitter. If he hits .240-.245 with 20 HRs, it would be a damn good season from the 9th spot in the lineup. He's currently at .238 with 2 HRs. I would consider his performance to date a non-issue and about on par with expectations.

Don't let the other glaring holes and lack of production in the lineup impact your view of the guy that should actually be the worst hitter in the lineup but unfortunately isn't right now.
texasaggie2015
AG
He also told us we're not pursuing a starting pitcher just a day or two before they got JV. He said the deal popped up at the last minute, but that was not true. They had been in talks for about a week or so before.

He also told us we're not pursuing relievers just a few days before the Hader signing. That was another one that had been in the works for a while.

It's very possible Abreu has a long leash, but even if he didn't, Dana isn't going to blast that over the airwaves. I would take everything he says in that interview with a grain of salt. It's not advantageous for the org to show their whole hand.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I really thought they'd railroad Abreu into a fake DL spot after he got hit in the foot last night.

Another 0-for-10 and we'll get an oblique muscle strain as soon as they find a FA to sign.
iBrad
AG
If Abreu doesn't turn it around soon, I could see an IL stint for back or knee "soreness" that includes a prolonged rehab stint to see if he can get his swing going.
Deluxe
AG
iBrad said:

If Abreu doesn't turn it around soon, I could see an IL stint for back or knee "soreness" that includes a prolonged rehab stint to see if he can get his swing going.

Agreed. I think he'll figure it out but it might take some time. A few weeks on the IL to work on his mechanics and a cozy AAA "rehab" stint to rip some dingers could be what he needs.
cc10106
He just needs to be hypnotized into thinking he's playing the Astros and start crushing again. Pretty simple.
First Page Last Page
Page 200 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.