***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,867,219 Views | 67416 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by BCEDAg
West Roxbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beau Holder said:

Imagine scoring five runs with one out in the first and losing 10-5

Baseball a funny game
Wabs
AG
Booma94
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

wangus12 said:

He needs to be optioned back to the Hooks at minimum

He sucked tonight, no way around it. At the same time, he really had no business being out there in the first place. They put him in a situation where he was probably gonna fail, so it's really on the organization for not getting more pitching depth in the off-season (especially in the minors). I feel bad for him because it's probably the only time he'll ever step on a MLB field and that's how he's gonna remember it.
I think that Framber not starting was so last-minute and unexpected that there wasn't time to call anyone else up. It seemed to literally be a situation where a call was placed to Sugar Land asking who was the next scheduled starter and to send them to Arlington.

There are a couple of better options if time had permitted- Spencer Arraghetti has to be somewhere on the radar as the next call-up.
wangus12
AG
100%. His ERA in the minors is pretty rough (A-7.02, AA-5.06, AAA-5.40). No way does he get called up unless it was literally the situation you mentioned. He was the next guy up for SL and the Astros needed an arm that could throw that night.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Now that he's been optioned out, they'll need to call up another pitcher. Likely will have to be a reliever. I doubt they'll want to use up another one of Coleman's options since they'll have to send whoever it is back down when Framber's spot comes back around (if he starts, which I highly doubt). Wonder if it's Whitley time?
texasaggie2015
AG

My man Kenni Gomez
Booma94
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Now that he's been optioned out, they'll need to call up another pitcher. Likely will have to be a reliever. I doubt they'll want to use up another one of Coleman's options since they'll have to send whoever it is back down when Framber's spot comes back around (if he starts, which I highly doubt). Wonder if it's Whitley time?
He has 1 IP so far this year which occurred on Sunday in the JV rehab game and he gave up a HR on his 2nd pitch. He settled down and pitched a flawless rest of the inning, but I think he might need a few more innings before he gets the call. Just my thoughts.
DustyBaker
The only people I ever felt intimidated by are Bob Gibson and Corey Julks. He can play 1st. Just got to get him in the rotation. Maybe move Abreu to DH and give Yordan some time off.
texasaggie2015
AG
They needed an arm that was properly rested. That was Henley. If it had been Arrighetti, he would have gotten the call. Same with Kouba or any other arm. Just bad timing.

I don't think Henley will see the big leagues again and it's a shame things went the way they did considering this was likely his one opportunity. But you never know. He's had a cup of coffee in the bigs and maybe if he gets another shot he'll be less amped next time around.

At the end of the day, his dream came true last night and the Astros won.
iBrad
AG
How quiet he is in the box reminds me a little of Michael Brantley. Very calm and smooth swing.
texasaggie2015
AG

Good to see Matthews get off to a hot start.
cc10106
What position is he projected to play at the big league level?
texasaggie2015
AG
He has an insanely high ceiling. One of those guys who has all the natural ability in the world and it will all come down to how hard he's willing to work. He has such a good swing for an 18 year old.

This is a really good channel by the way: Astros Minor League Library - YouTube
texasaggie2015
AG
Shortstop. If that doesn't work out, likely centerfield.

I can't recall seeing a prospect with a wider range of outcomes. He's truly a boom or bust guy. I'm personally not high on him- but there's others who think he's a future all-star. Only time will tell.

They're going to have to be patient with him. He's extremely raw but he's mature and has freak athletic ability so he could develop faster than anticipated. I think he's 3 years away.
Wabs
AG
Royals are next. We're about to see one of the best (if not THE best) young players in the game. Should be fun to watch.
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

Royals are next. We're about to see one of the best (if not THE best) young players in the game. Should be fun to watch.

With all due respect… I hope he goes 0-4 with 4 Ks all 3 games
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
fwiw, I heard he was also not feeling great due to an undisclosed illness, which contributed to him feeling weak/sore

that gives me optimism that this won't be a lingering issue
CFTXAG10
AG
Wabs said:

I agree, I enjoy watching Salvy play ball
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They needed an arm that was properly rested. That was Henley. If it had been Arrighetti, he would have gotten the call. Same with Kouba or any other arm. Just bad timing.

I don't think Henley will see the big leagues again and it's a shame things went the way they did considering this was likely his one opportunity. But you never know. He's had a cup of coffee in the bigs and maybe if he gets another shot he'll be less amped next time around.

In hindsight they should have just started the game with "openers". The bullpen was awesome last night. Maybe they learned something if the same situation comes up again in the future.
bearkatag15
AG

Might be a name to bookmark for later
tjack16
AG
BCEDAg said:

texasaggie2015 said:

In hindsight they should have just started the game with "openers". The bullpen was awesome last night. Maybe they learned something if the same situation comes up again in the future.

Opener and then called up a AAA bullpen arm to eat innings late in the game or tonight in KC .
texasaggie2015
AG
Ideally, the kid you call up gives you a few innings and you don't burn through an already taxed bullpen.
Farmer1906
AG
Feels good to have things go your way for a change. Frame king Caratini doing work.

texasaggie2015
AG
Man, I will say... I was one of the biggest Abreu defenders last year and I was optimistic he would turn things around after his back healed up and he started to get hot late last season.

But he doesn't look "off" anymore. He just looks slow. I think he's done. It's crazy how fast father time caught up to him. I expected the power to go down but I thought he was a good enough hitter to give us .280 and 30-40 doubles. It's just beyond unfortunate and nobody could have seen it coming.

It'll be really interesting to see how they handle first base if he doesn't get going by mid-May or so.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Man, I will say... I was one of the biggest Abreu defenders last year and I was optimistic he would turn things around after his back healed up and he started to get hot late last season.

But he doesn't look "off" anymore. He just looks slow. I think he's done. It's crazy how fast father time caught up to him. I expected the power to go down but I thought he was a good enough hitter to give us .280 and 30-40 doubles. It's just beyond unfortunate and nobody could have seen it coming.

It'll be really interesting to see how they handle first base if he doesn't get going by mid-May or so.
It's not just his offense either. His defense has been pretty bad.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Feels good to have things go your way for a change. Frame king Caratini doing work.

Ok, so we won 10 - 6.41
tylhair
AG
I agree, he's not just slumping he looks washed.

I was a Big Jon supporter last year- thinking he could draw walks and hit some bombs. Unfortunately he doesn't look any better than Abreu.

Brandon Belt is out there. Coulda got Votto cheap earlier. I'm not sure if Loperfido can actually play the position in MLB. If he can, seems like he will get a shot. Maybe Will Wagner?
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

It is pretty telling how they pitch him now. They just feed him fastballs and he has no chance at all to square them up. It is sad to say, but his signing was terrible and has put the club in a very tough spot. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have big Jon getting the starts. He's got good plate discipline and at least has the ability to hit fastballs. It sure looks like Abreu no longer has the ability to hit anymore.
Farmer1906
AG
Loperfido's batted ball data is much more encouraging to start this year than how he finished in AAA last year.

texasaggie2015
AG
Singleton just isn't an MLB player unfortunately. I'm surprised he's still on the roster. I expected them to give Cabbage a shot since we pretty much know what we're getting from Jon already.

Loperfido isn't ready to play first at the big league level yet from what I understand. His bat is close (still needs to cut down on the strikeouts) but his defense at first needs work. Wagner probably could from a defense standpoint- but I don't think his bat is quite ready yet.

It's really just a bizarre situation. Lots of people blame Crane for the Abreu signing but I don't. He was a really good hitter and nobody could have expected his decline to happen so rapidly. Think about how good this lineup would be if he was just league average.

I'm disappointed they didn't sign a Garrett Cooper for cheap. I think Belt is pretty set on whatever number he wants. It would put Houston well above the next tax level. Maybe they'll be able to make a trade at some point for a cheap option.

It's just a brutal situation all around.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Watching in person and being down the first base line you could just see he was behind on every fastball. And it was like 93-94. He just doesn't have it anymore, and really only had it for like 30 games last season.

The scouting report is throw high fastballs, or throw it outside and get him to flail at it in the other box
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Singleton just isn't an MLB player unfortunately. I'm surprised he's still on the roster. I expected them to give Cabbage a shot since we pretty much know what we're getting from Jon already.

Loperfido isn't ready to play first at the big league level yet from what I understand. His bat is close (still needs to cut down on the strikeouts) but his defense at first needs work. Wagner probably could from a defense standpoint- but I don't think his bat is quite ready yet.

It's really just a bizarre situation. Lots of people blame Crane for the Abreu signing but I don't. He was a really good hitter and nobody could have expected his decline to happen so rapidly. Think about how good this lineup would be if he was just league average.

I'm disappointed they didn't sign a Garrett Cooper for cheap. I think Belt is pretty set on whatever number he wants. It would put Houston well above the next tax level. Maybe they'll be able to make a trade at some point for a cheap option.

It's just a brutal situation all around.
What about Dubon at 1st? Why do they seem to avoid that? He's a clear plus on offense, and they need to get him out there more.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It is pretty telling how they pitch him now. They just feed him fastballs and he has no chance at all to square them up. It is sad to say, but his signing was terrible and has put the club in a very tough spot. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have big Jon getting the starts. He's got good plate discipline and at least has the ability to hit fastballs. It sure looks like Abreu no longer has the ability to hit anymore.
You're not wrong.

>60% 4 seam or sinker and he mainly just swings and misses.

First Page Last Page
Page 179 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.