***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,869,449 Views | 67424 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by Mathguy64
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

What's the latest pulse on who gets bumped from the rotation when JV gets back? Or do we go 6 man?

I didn't realize that Hunter hasn't gotten through 6 innings since early August 2023. If it's between Hunter and France, I might lean toward keeping France in the rotation as of rn but I don't feel strongly about it.
I feel strongly about keeping Hunter. France has done nothing to deserve to be bumped. He's been solid last year and this year. But Hunter has a higher ceiling. We need to develop him into a cornerstone of the rotation for '24-'28.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

To me its location. His stuff is just getting too much of the plate with 2 strikes or it's too far off to swing at
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

What's the latest pulse on who gets bumped from the rotation when JV gets back? Or do we go 6 man?

I didn't realize that Hunter hasn't gotten through 6 innings since early August 2023. If it's between Hunter and France, I might lean toward keeping France in the rotation as of rn but I don't feel strongly about it.
I feel strongly about keeping Hunter. France has done nothing to deserve to be bumped. He's been solid last year and this year. But Hunter has a higher ceiling. We need to develop him into a cornerstone of the rotation for '24-'28.
Fair. It's an interesting paradigm between the two. One has the premium stuff, accomplished everything there was to accomplish in the minors and was one of our highest rated pitching prospects of the last decade. The other has lesser stuff, came up with very little fanfare and was mostly thought of as a temporary injury plug-in.

But at some point, we have to acknowledge that France has been the more effective big league pitcher in a sample size that's getting large enough to be deterministic.

That doesn't necessarily mean we should lean France over Brown in this circumstance. Like you said, Brown still has higher upside and ability to be a rotation anchor in future seasons. In the long run, it might be better to invest that last rotation spot in him than France. If he puts it together, we'll be glad we stuck with him.

His first two starts this year were rough, but they were also two of his toughest matchups in the AL. Hopefully he can start righting the ship in KC.

Overall, a good problem to have. And it's a problem that gets even gooder when Urquidy returns.
tjack16
AG
Production > potential

Especially for this year.
Ag_07
AG
It was also nice and comforting to see Hader reach back up into the 97-98 range last night as opposed tot he 94-95 we've been seeing.

Looking back he probably should've gotten more work in ST and it's just a matter of getting ramped up.
Farmer1906
AG
Who do you prefer?

tjack16
AG
I prefer the one who goes deeper in the game, lower WHIP, and has a lower ERA. Last year and this year that's been France.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I prefer the one who goes deeper in the game, lower WHIP, and has a lower ERA. Last year and this year that's been France.
Cool. So which one is France?
Mathguy64
AG
This day is already a win. Clouds parted about 2 minutes before totality and and we had a totally clear show.

Just amazing
Ag_07
AG
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I couldn't tell from those advanced and expected stats. But his overall production from a giving up runs and going deeper in games stats… France was better. Those are the stats I look at with pitchers because expected results don't equal actual results.

Upside = Brown
Actual results = France
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I couldn't tell from those advanced and expected stats. But his overall production from a giving up runs and going deeper in games stats… France was better. Those are the stats I look at with pitchers because expected results don't equal actual results.

Upside = Brown
Actual results = France

I don't think batting average against is very advanced.

What about results moving forward?
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness gracious. Hader and Pressly will be just fine. Everything will be just fine. Bookmark this post if you have to, this is a very good team and the cream will rise to the top.

I'll go out on a limb and say Abreu will most definitely not be just fine. I think the rest will perform as expected on balance and still track towards a win total in the lower 90's. First base, however, will remain a black hole until another player is added, or unless Dubon can shift over to offer a better contact rate.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

If you post the same stats but just show 2023 all star break to today, I bet it's easier to tell which one is France.

I'm obviously moving the goalpost by referring to a large sample size in my last post and now proposing to constrain it. The recency bias that favors France is a factor in my mind, no doubt.

I don't have much interest in going to the mat on this debate and can see a case for either guy. Ideally we wouldn't have to bump either (yet).

Part of my slight inclination toward France is that I think Brown could be a really useful bullpen weapon. Tick that cutter up to 95 and the 4 seam up to 98 for an inning for two. That could be nasty. We can worry about the 2026-28 rotation when we get there.
Wabs
AG
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness gracious. Hader and Pressly will be just fine. Everything will be just fine. Bookmark this post if you have to, this is a very good team and the cream will rise to the top.

I'll go out on a limb and say Abreu will most definitely not be just fine. I think the rest will perform as expected on balance and still track towards a win total in the lower 90's. First base, however, will remain a black hole until another player is added, or unless Dubon can shift over to offer a better contact rate.
This is where I'm at. I have lost complete faith that Abreu will turn it around. Everyone else I'll buy into them eventually performing to expected standards. I really wish Espada would consider putting Dubon at 1B until we can figure out a better solution and basically "wait out" Breggy and his painfully slow start. Having Breggy and Abreu as black holes is killing this offense.
spadilly
S
Umm, guys….

Wabs
AG
Huh????
Ag_07
AG
Who and why exactly??
Deluxe
AG
Wut
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

If you post the same stats but just show 2023 all star break to today, I bet it's easier to tell which one is France.

I'm obviously moving the goalpost by referring to a large sample size in my last post and now proposing to constrain it. The recency bias that favors France is a factor in my mind, no doubt.

I don't have much interest in going to the mat on this debate and can see a case for either guy. Ideally we wouldn't have to bump either (yet).

Part of my slight inclination toward France is that I think Brown could be a really useful bullpen weapon. Tick that cutter up to 95 and the 4 seam up to 98 for an inning for two. That could be nasty. We can worry about the 2026-28 rotation when we get there.
How about Mid Aug to the end of the season? (each players last 33ish innings)

8.35 ERA
6.10 FIP

vs

7.94 ERA
6.68 FIP

They both were pretty terrible down the stretch.

I don't think anyone would argue that Brown has outpitched France over the last 12 months. But I think there is a fair argument that Brown will outpitch France in the next 12 months. Batted balls data, K-BB ratios, Stuff+. etc are much better predictors than Who had the best ERA last season.

tjack16
AG
Framber hurt? Uh oh
Wabs
AG
Deluxe
AG
Now remove France's outlier game against BOS
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Now remove France's outlier game against BOS
Does that one not count?
AggieJ2002
AG
Ugh ... Cannot afford for Framber to go down to injury right now
EastCoastAgNc
AG
spadilly said:

Umm, guys….

Uhh wtf... That's not good
All I do is Nguyen
Is Spaghetti not ready? WTF is this guy???
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Could have pitched too recently
cc10106
So is it Houston's turn now with a big pitching injury? That would be so fitting.
AggieJ2002
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Is Spaghetti not ready? WTF is this guy???

He would be on 3 days rest ... ugh
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Who let framber look directly at the eclipse
AgSportsFan89
AG
Not like this. Not like this
Ag_07
AG
This is all so strange since I'd think we would've heard some whisperings about an injury.

Family emergency or something weird like that?
First Page Last Page
Page 157 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.