***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,869,451 Views | 67424 Replies | Last: 56 min ago by Mathguy64
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Miami, Colorado, Detroit, Milwaukee, & Cincy have had poor 1B play too. I don't think any of them would be interested. If you just look at who needs a bat to hit RHP, the Mets have been the worst in baseball. He's not playing over Pete but maybe at DH? Seattle, Philly, & Minny haven't been great either. Who knows if they'll show any interest.

Here is what no one has mentioned. We're 1.1 M from the next level of luxury tax. That means a 5 M deal turns into a 7.2 M deal and our first round pick moves back 10 spots. Ina. Vacuum that isn't a big deal but it it makes things worse after losing a pick for Hader. We need to figure out how to off load some money at the deadline.

I would unload Caratini and bring up Salazar.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

10 but who's counting?
6% of the regular season is over!!!
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

10 but who's counting?
My comment about Abreu was based on him playing 9/10 games so far.
AgLA06
AG
DeProfundis said:

Farmer1906 said:

Miami, Colorado, Detroit, Milwaukee, & Cincy have had poor 1B play too. I don't think any of them would be interested. If you just look at who needs a bat to hit RHP, the Mets have been the worst in baseball. He's not playing over Pete but maybe at DH? Seattle, Philly, & Minny haven't been great either. Who knows if they'll show any interest.

Here is what no one has mentioned. We're 1.1 M from the next level of luxury tax. That means a 5 M deal turns into a 7.2 M deal and our first round pick moves back 10 spots. Ina. Vacuum that isn't a big deal but it it makes things worse after losing a pick for Hader. We need to figure out how to off load some money at the deadline.

I would unload Caratini and bring up Salazar.

I don't think he comes up until rosters expand.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's extremely unlikely to happen. They value Caratini a lot.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. Seems like a poor idea to clear very little space.
DeProfundis
Doesn't seem like we're getting a lot from Caratini. He may be great, but he's played twice? On pace to see action in 32 games with 70 AB's?
tjack16
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Problem is that the Astros are not going to give up on Abreu 9 games in

It's not 9 games in. He was also bad for 2/3 of the season last year. The only stat he had that was good were RBI and that's because of where he hit in the lineup + one hot month
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Problem is that the Astros are not going to give up on Abreu 9 games in
It's not 9 games in. He was also bad for 2/3 of the season last year. The only stat he had that was good were RBI and that's because of where he hit in the lineup + one hot month
While I agree with you about 2023, that doesn't change the fact that the org liked what they saw towards the end of the season and decided to stick with him headed into 2024. How long is the leash? I don't know, but I definitely think its longer than 9 games played.
DeProfundis
Farmer1906 said:

What are the options for clearing substantial space?

McCullers? Not with his injury history
Abreu? lol
Montero? lol
Bregman? Not the way he's playing, not for a rental
Yordan, Framber, and Javier have to be untouchable

I'm just trying to think of ways to free up cash for Belt. I don't think we have any chance to unload big contracts
texasaggie2015
AG
Caratini isn't just a body. Dude is brilliant and is playing a key role in mentoring Diaz. I think he will be JVs personal catcher as well from what I've heard.
Farmer1906
AG
DeProfundis said:

Farmer1906 said:

What are the options for clearing substantial space?

McCullers? Not with his injury history
Abreu? lol
Montero? lol
Bregman? Not the way he's playing, not for a rental
Yordan, Framber, and Javier have to be untouchable

I'm just trying to think of ways to free up cash for Belt. I don't think we have any chance to unload big contracts

Even if we wanted to unload Caratini how would we do it? The whole league had a chance to sign him. We landed him so we paid the most or close to it. Why wouldn't anyone give up a player to get him at this point? We'd then had to throw in a prospect or money to unload a valuable piece to us to try and save <6 M this year.

I've done this breakdown before. There isn't any easy ways to upload money. That's why it was so shocking we got Hader and were in the mix with Snell.
BCEDAg
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

With that strikeout rate, I havr a hard time believing Loperfido is ready and won't just be a lesser Singleton at this moment.

I would much rather sign Belt to a one-year deal.

I've been suggesting signing Belt for two months now. Can't believe he's still unsigned.
DrZ
AG
I believe we will win tonight.
At that point we will be 2 1/2 games out of first.
Split a four-game series on the road with the defending champions.
After a horrible series with the yankees its okay.
Calm down guys
Wabs
AG
DrZ said:

I believe we will win tonight.
At that point we will be 2 1/2 games out of first.
Split a four-game series on the road with the defending champions.
After a horrible series with the yankees its okay.
Calm down guys
For some reason 4-7 sounds light years better than 3-8. Hopefully we get the bats going tonight.
MaxPower
Maybe we can find a taker for Pressly…
Mose Schrute
AG
MaxPower said:

He will turn it around.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Because we can afford to offload bullpen arms right now.
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

Pressly will be OK

He's always shaky in the beginning of the year and he seems to kick it into gear and respond once he gets touched up.

Remember that implosion against the Yanks and Aaron Judge in NY then after that he went on a tear of scoreless innings?

Hopefully the same can be said for Hader but I haven't watched enough of him to feel as confident in his response as I do Pressly's.
Deluxe
AG
Pressly has been a warrior for us. Love that he went back in last night. Like the mentality Scherzer discussed in-game where you keep attacking even if the other team/hitter gets the best of you previously.

Also love that the 50/50 ball in the OF went his way last night and he was able to get a quick 1-2-3. Maybe that'll get some mojo going. It's April freaking 8th so it's understandable that he's still ramping up a little. I'd propose giving Pressly maximum benefit of the doubt levels this year.
texasaggie2015
AG
Goodness gracious. Hader and Pressly will be just fine. Everything will be just fine. Bookmark this post if you have to, this is a very good team and the cream will rise to the top.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Goodness gracious. Hader and Pressly will be just fine. Everything will be just fine. Bookmark this post if you have to, this is a very good team and the cream will rise to the top.

I mortgaged my house this morning and maxed out a few credit cards to buy more shares of 2024 $ASTROS
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

texasaggie2015
AG
Probably smart
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I believe so as well.

New manager, young guys that weren't prepared last year now starting, starting pitching less than optimal to start the year, missing a middle relief inning guy, bats slow to start.

Probably still winning the division and getting a more robust roster as the year goes on.
cc10106
All the folks naked-shorting the Astros are gonna be screwed when it comes to cover.
tjack16
AG
I think in terms for making the playoffs we will be fine. But as it is constructed now I think winning the pennant will be a struggle against the Rangers, Orioles and Yankees. I'd predict us at a very similar record as we had last year 90-72

But if guys come back healthy and back to form like JV, Lance and Garcia… then the AL is ours fairly easily like in 2022.
gambochaman
AG
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I believe so as well.

New manager, young guys that weren't prepared last year now starting, starting pitching less than optimal to start the year, missing a middle relief inning guy, bats slow to start.

Probably still winning the division and getting a more robust roster as the year goes on.

I actually think starting pitching has been our one shining light so far this year

Especially considering the absences
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

Pressly will be OK

He's always shaky in the beginning of the year and he seems to kick it into gear and respond once he gets touched up.

Remember that implosion against the Yanks and Aaron Judge in NY then after that he went on a tear of scoreless innings?

Hopefully the same can be said for Hader but I haven't watched enough of him to feel as confident in his response as I do Pressly's.
I'm joking about trading him but he's been trending in the wrong direction and he's 35 now. His ERA was over 5 the second half last year.
Deluxe
AG
What's the latest pulse on who gets bumped from the rotation when JV gets back? Or do we go 6 man?

I didn't realize that Hunter hasn't gotten through 6 innings since early August 2023. If it's between Hunter and France, I might lean toward keeping France in the rotation as of rn but I don't feel strongly about it.
Wabs
AG
Diaz has done nothing at the plate this series (0-12, 4Ks). That changes tonight.

Wabs
AG
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

Not my boy. Nope.
Boiling Denim
MaxPower said:

You want to dump the guy with a 0.30 ERA in his last 30 playoff innings?
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

Pressly will be OK

I'm joking about trading him but he's been trending in the wrong direction and he's 35 now. His ERA was over 5 the second half last year.
He's pretty pretty damn consistent as an Astro. 3 or 4 bad outings in the 2nd half last year ballooned the ERA, but he turned it back on in the postseason. I would probably chalk it up as much as the ebbs and flows of relievers as much as any falling off.
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.